You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Deputy276

Saw my first Z-44 play yesterday

7 comments in this topic

Members
2,462 posts
7,179 battles

After the horrendously bad review LWM gave the Z-44, I pretty much figured on passing on that one. 

The price alone is a bit much at $77.20. So I was curious to see how it fared in battle. And then I saw it launch TEN torps from long range. Seeing all those torps zipping along towards a slow BB was impressive. And what shocked me is when it actually SANK the BB. Granted it was a tier 8 BB and had already had slight damage on it. But it definitely bit the dust when those torps started hitting. Most of the negatives LWM describes for the Z-44 mainly apply to PvP game play. Things like "bad surface detection" are meaningless in PvE because the bots know where the human DDs are at all times anyway. A long time ago I asked LWM to include an evaluation for PvE players, and for a while she did so. Now she stopped. No idea why. Maybe she has the same attitude that WG has that we are just so much dead seaweed that doesn't matter. :Smile_unsure:

Anyway, I think next month when the Eagle Poops and I get my pension check, I may have to invest in the Z-44. I am a huge fan of German DDs anyway, although the new branch seems kinda sucky to me, at least until you get to tier 9. I'll report back after I get this thing and play it in PvE.  :Smile_playing:   

BTW...PvP players don't seem very impressed with the new line of German DDs either:

Edited by Deputy276
  • Cool 1

[WOLF8]
Members
9,249 posts
7,537 battles

IMHO, Z-44 was never a bad bote for PvE. Sure, she gave up a lot of things for being a "What if Germany tried an IJN style torp bote?" destroyer, especially the hydro, which may make a lot of impact in PvP... but in the grand scheme of things for PvE, as long as she's fast enough, stealthy enough, and has good enough torpedoes, then she was going to be just fine.

DD's in Coop rule the roost by ambushing the dumb bots at close range to shove torpedoes in their faces. She can do that just fine, with or without hydro. And her guns work just fine as well, albeit not as good as Z-46's... but that's to be expected, since she's meant to be a torpedo focused bote. It's supposed to be a part of the trade off, for being a torp bote.

Of course, not everything is sunshine and roses. Okay, so Z-44 made so and so sacrifices, to gain those little extra torpedo power... but is that really worth her over $70 price tag? Can't you just specc Z-46 as a torp bote and get similar results anyway? Well, that turned out to be the caveat, after all, lol. :Smile_hiding:

But to each to their own. If you just really like German ships in this game (like I am), and wanted to try one of those "What if" set up ships, then yeah, I personally think Z-44 is worth consider getting. That's just me though. 

As for the alternate German DD line, my impression of them so far is... they made even more sacrifices to be heavily gun focused botes. But do they still work for PvE? And my personal answer is: yes they do. They can still hit pretty hard, with their guns, so as long as you change your playstyle to fit that niche, you'll be fine. They do feel like an one trick pony, since they had to give up a lot of tools, just to get those guns on their hulls. Their torpedoes can hit even harder than Z-44's, but it's so hampered by the slow "sea mines" speed, they aren't worth it a lot of times. You'll just kill faster with your guns, before those torps actually make their way to hit anything, lel. :Smile_hiding:

Again, that's just me though. So please take my opinion not with a grain of salt, but with a grain of sugar... lul. :fish_cute_2:

My two German lolibotes.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
672 posts
27,162 battles

I found the Z-44 fun to play.  There are personal biases of course.  I don't have a high tier premium DD to toy around with.  Tier 8 Cossack is my highest premium DD and in the German DD line I'm at Maass.  Had enough coal at the time and also coupon to make the decision on Z-44.

Z-44 doesn't seem overly strong or weak at a specific thing.  No hydro compared to Maass(I use this capt on her), that I miss.  But she seems fine for co-op. Though I currently run Z-44 with zero upgrades and 22 games played.

(Have 2x T-10s planned, so saving credits and waiting for the upgrade discount that usually appears near Thanksgiving.) 

I agree with,  "but at what cost".    If this is a big purchase for you,  I don't think it provides an overwhelmingly good time or performance.  I think most people don't look for okay to good/mediocre when spending a big chunk of coal or $$ for a ship.  There has to be a better bang for your buck out there, or upcoming.

There was just enough little things here and there,  that made my decision easier to commit to. Most of my Tech T-9 & 10 DDs lose me credits, and Z-44 is a lifesaver.  I might even have stats for all 22 games.  Good game or bad ones, seems difficult to lose credits in match.

[FOXY]
Members
4,717 posts
8,947 battles

For the longest time i swear i was the only player with one in COOP, i love its fast reloading torpedoes ;-;

Members
2,462 posts
7,179 battles

Thanks for the feedback! Really appreciate it. Yeah, I am pretty sure I will grab one on May 1. HA! May Day! Maybe I'll down a bunch of Russian DDs.:Smile_veryhappy:

I am also still in  the Maas, but will get the Z-23 on May 1. Looking forward to that one too.

Members
2,462 posts
7,179 battles

Well I got the Z-44. I like it a lot. Letting lose with 10 torps pretty much takes down any bot ship I encounter. I don't miss the hydro. I never play PvP so it's no big loss. Plus the bots  hunt you down, so who needs it? It's a cool boat. Don't think it's worth the price I paid, but it's okay. 

• Cool 1

[PTRGT]
Members
508 posts
77,939 battles

I've had that DD the weekend it came out. I'm a sucker for any good DD.. and some not so good. I find the Z-44 a very good all rounder and never had any problem with it in co-op :cap_haloween: