Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
EP429

Make WOWS Immersive Again - Port customization + New port suggestion

9 comments in this topic

[COOP2]
Members
96 posts

I'm one of those sick souls that enjoys filling up my custom music folder & poking around in port looking at ship stats, the details of the models, etc. I find a good port setup to be part of the immersion of the game, but aside from swapping one port to another, they get stale quickly.
I'd love to have some basic controls over each port, changing the time of day/night, perhaps have a local time option, the ability to change the weather (clear/cloudy/snow/rain/tornado/etc). In the Ocean port, perhaps allow the ship's throttle to be used so that you & the support ship can be in motion. 

As to my new port idea - I'd think a naval station would be awesome. You could select a few of your ships to occupy a handful of dock slots, sort of a personal "garage" kind of setup. It'd be a blast being able to have a few of my faves stacked up & on screen at the same time (Would also be handy to have a visual reminder for something in need of grinding). If you select a ship not on your chosen dock slots you could have the camera move to another area (Similar to the daily crate supply ship setup)
Something similar to the pic below is what I have in mind here.

dock.jpg

• Cool 4

[RLGN]
Members
19,142 posts
35,184 battles

Holy flying flip.

Kearsarge in her craneship mode. (Upper left.)

A Pensacola or Northampton?

Lex or Sara in the drydock.

New Mexicos? Maybe some Colorados? and maybe Wyoming and a destroyer way over on the right.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
left something out.
  • Cool 1

[COOP2]
Members
96 posts
3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Holy flying flip.

New Mexicos? Maybe some Colorados? and maybe Wyoming and a destroyer way over on the right.

I'd give my neighbor's kidney for a USS Houston (Northampton class)

Would make an awesome package sale with Perth, WG seems highly disinterested though.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,973 posts
13,731 battles
On 4/25/2021 at 6:26 PM, EP429 said:

I'm one of those sick souls that enjoys filling up my custom music folder & poking around in port looking at ship stats, the details of the models, etc. I find a good port setup to be part of the immersion of the game, but aside from swapping one port to another, they get stale quickly.
I'd love to have some basic controls over each port, changing the time of day/night, perhaps have a local time option, the ability to change the weather (clear/cloudy/snow/rain/tornado/etc). In the Ocean port, perhaps allow the ship's throttle to be used so that you & the support ship can be in motion. 

As to my new port idea - I'd think a naval station would be awesome. You could select a few of your ships to occupy a handful of dock slots, sort of a personal "garage" kind of setup. It'd be a blast being able to have a few of my faves stacked up & on screen at the same time (Would also be handy to have a visual reminder for something in need of grinding). If you select a ship not on your chosen dock slots you could have the camera move to another area (Similar to the daily crate supply ship setup)
Something similar to the pic below is what I have in mind here.

dock.jpg

21 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Holy flying flip.

Lex or Sara in the drydock.

Year is 1935 or 1936

Starting on the left

Kearsarge as a craneship (she's still Kearsarge at this point though) with a Northampton aft.

USS Lexington (CV-2) is in Drydock (her letters are on the flight deck, and the machine gun gallery on the funnel dates the picture)

2 New Mexico's on the middle pier, could be any of the three. They were all in the area around this time.

Probably USS Tennessee (BB-43) with also probably USS Colorado (BB-45) aft. (They were both in the yard together with Lexington for other photo's taken around the same time). 

On the far right 2 Mahan's with USS Utah (AG-16) aft. The Mahan's have canvas covers on the aft gun mounts, while Utah has her mess of cranes amidships for lifting off the protective covers for her various AA guns to keep them from being wrecked by water filled practice bombs.

Not gonna try and ID yard craft, I may be crazy, but I'm  not that crazy.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 2

[COOP2]
Members
96 posts
15 minutes ago, Princess_Daystar said:

Do the Northamptons differ alot from ships like the Indianapolis? Dont really know much about them.

I remember reading somewhere that the Portland class (Indianapolis) was extremely similar except for being a bit longer for better seakeeping.
Wiki's numbers look pretty close aside from AA and some extra armor, however it says Houston was packing torpedoes -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Houston_(CA-30)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Indianapolis_(CA-35)

[FOXY]
Members
4,717 posts
8,947 battles
17 hours ago, EP429 said:

I remember reading somewhere that the Portland class (Indianapolis) was extremely similar except for being a bit longer for better seakeeping.
Wiki's numbers look pretty close aside from AA and some extra armor, however it says Houston was packing torpedoes -

Curious! Thank you.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,973 posts
13,731 battles
On 4/26/2021 at 8:19 PM, EP429 said:

Both classes were completed with torpedo tubes, and lost them before WWII as compensation for additional AA guns.

The give away in photo's as to if they have torpedoes or not is rectangular openings in the aft superstructure at main deck level. If the ship has the openings, it has torpedoes, if the openings are plated over, they've been removed.

• Cool 1