You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
guvney

Are the new German DDS worth it

19 comments in this topic

[RSL]
Members
4 posts
5,477 battles

I just want to know. I looked at what I was being offered for the first of the bundles for 1500 doubloons and I got the option to get the new tier 9 German tech tree DD out of my first one. My question is if I should bother doing this since I am a free to play player or should I wait for another time if I get a chance similar to this where I can get a ship in a better line?

[DAMP]
In AlfaTesters, In AlfaTesters
2,688 posts
14,166 battles

For 1500 doubs any tier 9 IMO is worth it.

Members
767 posts
19,884 battles

Z31 and Maerker are worth skipping. Felix is OK. Elbing is NDA.

[UN1]
Members
1,497 posts
4,854 battles

I think the Felix is pretty good.  

Flamu may be flamboyant, but he's mostly correct about the Felix being pretty single-minded about its playstyle.  That's pretty much how they all are.  They're cruisers that take up a DD slot.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,161 posts
30,915 battles

Here's the Fitting Tool entry for the Tier X Elbing, which is not part of the Early Access event to acquire right now.   I can't say if she's good or bad, but I will say her 30.9k HP sticks out.

Some HP levels of some of her peers that are known to be "beefy" in HP pools.

Khabarovsk 22.5k (has some 50mm armor plates on the forward hull)

Kleber 21.9k (damage saturation gimmick)

SE trait would take Elbing's HP to 34.4k.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PVE]
Members
10,597 posts
32,076 battles
20 hours ago, guvney said:

I just want to know. I looked at what I was being offered for the first of the bundles for 1500 doubloons and I got the option to get the new tier 9 German tech tree DD out of my first one. My question is if I should bother doing this since I am a free to play player or should I wait for another time if I get a chance similar to this where I can get a ship in a better line?

If you're F2P why spend doubloons on any ship that will be free later on?

I thought that was a premium T9 ship not the tech tree ship (having that premium icon around it because of the temporary premium status it gets as early access through me off).

I was congratulating somebody earlier for also having it as the 1st option because I thought he was getting an actual T9 premium ship for 1500 doubloons.

I'm glad it didn't show up as my 1st option because I would have been upset to know I wasted 1,500 doubs for a ship that will become free in 2 months time...unless there was a mission to get the doubs back if you earned it through the mission.

I've got about 21.5k doubs saved up...but that's over a period of years.

If I'm gonna drop doubs on a ship it gonna be an actual premium & not something that will be free soon.

Hoping to get a Benham through the auctions with it but expecting the cheapest 1 of those (if they ever go on the docket) to go for way more than that...only ship I regret not getting when I had the chance (was 2/3rds of the way through the grind & lost my steady place to play & missed out...still got withdrawals over that...lol).

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[GUTS]
[GUTS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,389 posts
29,467 battles
2 hours ago, guvney said:

Tier 9 is a steel snowflake....

So 1500 dubs might well be worth that.

The hardest I have ever worked to get 26k damage in a game was in the T8 German dd...

3 matches and I retired it....

The z31 wasn't any more fun either....

Maybe if they had one of the following:

Reload booster for guns.

Faster torps.

10 sec reload boost on torps.

6km hydro.

Longer lasting smoke.

Otherwise they are trash.

[SALVO]
6,598 posts
7,430 battles

I ground put 150k XP on the 8...and man was that rough to do. 

I have seen the Tier 9 in combat and it's gotten mixed results. 

I think it's worth it if you understand you are a cruiser trapped in a destroyers body. However you won't ever carry a match, you're basically a wienerdog chewing on someone's ankle whilst he's fighting a bear. 

A 30k HP DD is hellagood. I'll be getting the 10.

[RSL]
Members
4 posts
5,477 battles

Thanks for all the info guys I posted this last night and just got back on to look at it. I'm still not quite sure if I should get it but I am definitely leaning towards not just because I can grind the line if I truly want to.

[FOXY]
Members
4,717 posts
8,947 battles
14 minutes ago, guvney said:

Thanks for all the info guys I posted this last night and just got back on to look at it. I'm still not quite sure if I should get it but I am definitely leaning towards not just because I can grind the line if I truly want to.

Yup, always the way, i like Felix so far, but i miss the 150s on my Z23 :(

Members
1,374 posts
7,142 battles
22 minutes ago, guvney said:

That is the right attitude. If you're F2P never spend doubloons on a tech tree ship. If you hold onto doubloons and wait for sales they're a good way to get premium ships without spending a dime on this game. 

[T-R-F]
Banned
677 posts
22,670 battles

from what i have seen. Nope. they are a dd that is anto cruiser yet any of the top light cruiser can just end them

[BONKY]
Members
2,285 posts
26,832 battles

T7: Probably a solid contender for the worst ship in the whole game

T8: a whole lot better than Z-31, but is that really saying anything?

T9 and 10: Not bad, if you just don't do anything DD related and ignore the fact that Tashkent, Mogador, and Kleber can do the same things only better and they can deal with DDs and cap

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,161 posts
30,915 battles
2 hours ago, Princess_Daystar said:

Yup, always the way, i like Felix so far, but i miss the 150s on my Z23 :(

I have a baaad feeling for Mogami.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
17 hours ago, guvney said:

TBH, unless the intended playstyle of the ship is right up your alley, a T9 DD of that sort is likely going to cost you credits everytime you play.

If you have something that's good for capping, you can offset the lower damage DDs get (which rewards are based on) with that. (capping pays fairly well)

I mean, how well does your Brindisi pay? With a T9 DD, your damage avg. will likely be half or less what you rack up in Brindisi, and your repair costs will be the same.

Members
1,004 posts
8,620 battles

The whole line is questionable inmho.  If they got some utility on top of the low DPM i would be more intrested.  The line is dead on arival for me.  however   The dock yard ship looks pretty good.

[CVRME]
[CVRME]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,942 posts
10,652 battles

Its a DD line that gives you the job of damage farming while sacrificing everything that makes a DD valuable to your team-- Spotting, cap contesting, screening torps due to poor movement, fighting other DDs... its garbage.

What's more, this is a line that clearly wants to pick on cruisers... but has 25mm armor which just lets it eat more damage from AP lol.  Like, what tools do you have or characteristics to hold a valuable position much less go into reasonable fights with cruisers that aren't just distracted?

Its a failed concept, with the only good thing being is the guns despite poor DPM.  Between seeing this line, Flandere, and the quality of ships as of late in new lines... its painfully obvious WG doesn't even care anymore or wants to put real effort out to offer good gameplay.

I know some potato here will try to think this line is any good, and to them I simply laugh in the faces of the indignant responses or reactions I'd get.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
6,598 posts
7,430 battles

Having played Tier 9 I can tell you without a doubt this line just doesn't get much better. 

The 25mm arms EVERYTHING and your decks are soaked in gasoline, you're seen from space, you move like a truck, you're damage is terrible, you can basically walk on the torpedos. 

I want to like this line, but it just...it just angers my team to see me on our side. I'm basically gimping our team of a valuable ship from the get-go. 

Unless the Tier 10 is hella good, this line won't be played much. Even then I have my doubts about the 10 because frankly, it loads slower, the torps are still slow, and the ship is HUGE for a destroyer.