You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WoWsNewsBot

Results: Anzac Day

25 comments in this topic

[WPORT]
Members
20,719 posts
22,656 battles
On 4/22/2021 at 12:04 PM, WoWsNewsBot said:

Opt in to complete a themed mission and earn the unique “In Remembrance of Heroes” camouflage, flag, and patch.

Read it on the portal

:Smile_honoring:
image_2021-04-23_204135.png.f3a5d92173251d194975ea12787952e0.png

• Cool 2

[WPORT]
[WPORT]
Members
110 posts
13,630 battles

From an ex-serving veteran, Nice touch from the NA Server to put something like this on for us Aussies on the NA server, considering that it is an Australian and New Zealander tradition.

So Thank-You NA. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by FurphyForum
  • Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
20,719 posts
22,656 battles
10 minutes ago, FurphyForum said:

From an ex-serving veteran, Nice touch from the NA Server to put something like this on for us Aussies on the NA server, considering that it is an Australian tradition.

So Thank-You NA. :Smile_honoring:

:Smile_honoring:

[FOOLZ]
Members
3 posts
10,888 battles

It would be nice if WG remembered that there is an NZ in Anzac. Whilst I acknowledge that there aren't that many Kiwi players on the NA server compared to other countries we do exist. Maybe for next years ANZAC day we can get a New Zealand Flag/patch.

KIA KAHA

• Cool 3

Members
43 posts
9,510 battles

I had the privilege of visiting Gallipoli and wandering all over the battlefield. I've studied this front in great detail. It is a sad and often misguided story of inaction and misguided blame. The original idea smacked of genius and if the right people had been assigned to the tasks, it is entirely possible that the war would have ended more quickly and even inhibited the rise of Hitler, who predicated his bile on the fact he claimed Germany was never defeated and thus has a score to settle. Madness of course.

I was stunned how the tour guide and the attendant Aussies were so willing to blame Winston Churchill for all this that I finally told off the guide and sent him and a few idiots packing. Churchill came up with the Gallipoli idea and yes, he continued to push it as long as he could. HOWEVER, and listen up, twisted Aussie unknowings, Churchill had nothing to do, NOTH-ING, with the selection of leaders or forces. His ideas were ENTHUSIASTICALLY accepted by the entire command structure under the not so wise guidance of Lord Kitchener.

Assigned to the task of running the forts in the Dardanelles was an Admiral De Robeck. Churchill was praying for Roger Keyes but of course stodgy leadership by the Brits ended up assigning the task to De Robeck, whose love of aged battleships precluded him from sacrificing one more of the useless old things as he was about to break through the mine fields. Pathetic how a decision to save under 1000 lives ended up resulting in the deaths of nearly 100 million in two world wars.

Atop this fiasco, the learned Kitchener picked the hesitant and unsure Ian Hamilton, who landed his forced nearly unopposed and then SAT and SAT and SAT until it all got so pathetic that Mustafa Kamal, the future Ataturk, was finally able to rally forces, dig in and initiate another killing zone war of attrition that obtained nothing and sent so many on both sides to death of the worst kind.

No, it wasn't Churchill's fault, unless you are one of those with the mindset that because someone thought up steel hulled ships ages before the Titanic that it's his (or her?) fault the Titanic sank. Winston had NO CONTROL over the forces or the leaders who chickened out, turned back or never made a move at all. The idea was brilliant and if enacted PROPERLY very well and PROBABLY would have ended the war early, prevented Hitler, maybe even stopped Lenin from being sent to Moscow by the Germans and thus no World War 2, no Cold War and no today as it now exists. Rather badly exists, in my opinion.

However, nothing else in this text is opinion. As one who actually knelt in the Turkish trenches above Gallipoli I know the history and the facts. Mindless ones may blame Churchill; they may have been told their nonsense from Aussie/NZ publications that knew and know nothing, but he didn't lead the forces he didn't select nor did he pick the strategies or tactical plans or load the ships or do anything but SUGGEST and try to SELL what would have been a brilliant plan had not the frozen in time British and French military, incompetents all, managed to totally MIS manage everything.

Blame your former rulers for the disaster if you will, Australia, but for once in your ignorant and eternal repetition of foolish bleatings, start blaming Kitchener and Hamilton and De Robeck and stop harping on the one man who might have thought a way out of what happened because the rest of the Allied leadership at the time was too blind to see. Convict failure but don't attack those who had no part in the disaster that followed.

Oh and unless your library is bursting with original manuscripts, testimonies, INTERVIEWS and more, please don't bother me with your snide comments or rebuttals. You don't know squat and probably never will.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4
  • Meh 6

[-DKM-]
Members
14 posts
7,110 battles

Hello from NZ! thanks for the event

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.

-John Mccrae
Edited by Colonel_Klink
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[WPORT]
[WPORT]
Members
110 posts
13,630 battles

@OZZZZZZZ 

I started reading your thread and thought this will be good, and the more I delved into it, the more I released you're having an opinionated rant about a campaign and attending Aussies / guide and how you sent them packing with their ignorant and eternal repetition of foolish bleatings that reside in us (Australians) - wow our down-fall,  the power of the double plugger thong, Terri-towel hat and steel esky full of XXXX! Anyway,  about a topic that has been debated and flogged since the fiasco occurred...and you chose this day to bring it up, really? and on ANZAC Day too? 

Here's one for you sport. I too have a library and it is full and is bursting with original manuscripts, testimonies and interviews, so I will comment, why? because I am a patriotic Australian, which comes amongst other things with being a loyalist ex-serving veteran for my country and I reckon I do know squat matey. But you're missing the point of ANZAC Day. You're going about it from a political and militant campaign point of view, which is atypical from a Historical buff, but that's not it, it's at the personal level.

It's about REMEMBERANCE to those that gave and to NEVER forget, To commemorate their unswaying loyalty to their duty with resolve. To remember those that have made the unselfish ultimate sacrifice. Might want to take that on board and remember that.

Oh, want to know the source of my library?...... Don't know if I should share it with someone that puts crapon us Australians and New Zealanders and reckons that they could 'Tell us off' and 'Send us packing'.  

Look....you are entitled to your opinion and that's all it is,  but let's get this straight, you don't need to be a troll jerking scrotum (w/ref to a self-opinionated Nationalistic last few paragraph comments) esp on our ANZAC Day, champ. 

SHAME-ON-YOU!

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 2

[DOW]
Beta Testers
1,315 posts
18,791 battles

Nicely put Furphy'.

ANZAC means something to me, even if I was born pommie. I marched in the 70's wearing a cadet's uniform bearing flags and banners. Remember seeing First World War veterans, in fact one lived across the road when I was a young boy. Rest in peace "Uncle" Harold.

Lone Pine memorial service Anzac day 1999@640x432.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Members
968 posts
221 battles
On 4/24/2021 at 4:05 PM, E21B said:

It would be nice if WG remembered that there is an NZ in Anzac. Whilst I acknowledge that there aren't that many Kiwi players on the NA server compared to other countries we do exist. Maybe for next years ANZAC day we can get a New Zealand Flag/patch.

KIA KAHA

I too was disappointed by WGs AAC (ANZAC without NZ).  

Last year was the same....

image.png.2a7e2332b24c4ca91539a11e41f0797f.png

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/sales-and-events/anzac-day/

The same Australian sun burst on the orange backdrop

The same Australian slouch hat(?) 

This year it's the same Australian Sun burst on both the flag and the patch

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/sales-and-events/anzac-day-2021/

image.png.eb066c0790443eed1784488c88f7be3e.png

And the website is also 100% Australian 

image.png.043d7c6a261fc201ef1a98df9a3b59e5.png

Australian Flag

Australian Slouch hat(?)

Australian Sunburst hat clasp/pin

IMHO - Should rename this whole event and call it Australia day (late Jan) as NOTHING in this event has ANYTHING to do with NZ (apart from a one-liner in the opening paragraph).

I gave WG 100% respect and gratitude for last year's attempt, which was very cool of WG NA to acknowledge Aust and NZ, now I feel left out.  Grats to all the Aust. players, I hope you enjoy your 2nd Australian day this year.

As the day is about remembrance to those who have gone before, always happy to discuss.

07 All

• Thanks 2

[EINER]
Beta Testers
114 posts

If I win a Perth (which I already own), is it possible to have it's equivalent gold value donated to an ANZAC charity instead of my account?

[EINER]
Beta Testers
114 posts
On 4/24/2021 at 8:05 AM, OZZZZZZZ said:

I had the privilege of visiting Gallipoli and wandering all over the battlefield. I've studied this front in great detail. It is a sad and often misguided story of inaction and misguided blame. The original idea smacked of genius and if the right people had been assigned to the tasks, it is entirely possible that the war would have ended more quickly and even inhibited the rise of Hitler, who predicated his bile on the fact he claimed Germany was never defeated and thus has a score to settle. Madness of course.

I was stunned how the tour guide and the attendant Aussies were so willing to blame Winston Churchill for all this that I finally told off the guide and sent him and a few idiots packing. Churchill came up with the Gallipoli idea and yes, he continued to push it as long as he could. HOWEVER, and listen up, twisted Aussie unknowings, Churchill had nothing to do, NOTH-ING, with the selection of leaders or forces. His ideas were ENTHUSIASTICALLY accepted by the entire command structure under the not so wise guidance of Lord Kitchener.

Assigned to the task of running the forts in the Dardanelles was an Admiral De Robeck. Churchill was praying for Roger Keyes but of course stodgy leadership by the Brits ended up assigning the task to De Robeck, whose love of aged battleships precluded him from sacrificing one more of the useless old things as he was about to break through the mine fields. Pathetic how a decision to save under 1000 lives ended up resulting in the deaths of nearly 100 million in two world wars.

Atop this fiasco, the learned Kitchener picked the hesitant and unsure Ian Hamilton, who landed his forced nearly unopposed and then SAT and SAT and SAT until it all got so pathetic that Mustafa Kamal, the future Ataturk, was finally able to rally forces, dig in and initiate another killing zone war of attrition that obtained nothing and sent so many on both sides to death of the worst kind.

No, it wasn't Churchill's fault, unless you are one of those with the mindset that because someone thought up steel hulled ships ages before the Titanic that it's his (or her?) fault the Titanic sank. Winston had NO CONTROL over the forces or the leaders who chickened out, turned back or never made a move at all. The idea was brilliant and if enacted PROPERLY very well and PROBABLY would have ended the war early, prevented Hitler, maybe even stopped Lenin from being sent to Moscow by the Germans and thus no World War 2, no Cold War and no today as it now exists. Rather badly exists, in my opinion.

However, nothing else in this text is opinion. As one who actually knelt in the Turkish trenches above Gallipoli I know the history and the facts. Mindless ones may blame Churchill; they may have been told their nonsense from Aussie/NZ publications that knew and know nothing, but he didn't lead the forces he didn't select nor did he pick the strategies or tactical plans or load the ships or do anything but SUGGEST and try to SELL what would have been a brilliant plan had not the frozen in time British and French military, incompetents all, managed to totally MIS manage everything.

Blame your former rulers for the disaster if you will, Australia, but for once in your ignorant and eternal repetition of foolish bleatings, start blaming Kitchener and Hamilton and De Robeck and stop harping on the one man who might have thought a way out of what happened because the rest of the Allied leadership at the time was too blind to see. Convict failure but don't attack those who had no part in the disaster that followed.

Oh and unless your library is bursting with original manuscripts, testimonies, INTERVIEWS and more, please don't bother me with your snide comments or rebuttals. You don't know squat and probably never will.

No matter what your politics are, pissing on the graves of the dead does little to gain you any stature.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 2

[WPORT]
[WPORT]
Members
110 posts
13,630 battles

@Laser_Beam

Mate, I hear your disappointment and concur. :Smile_honoring:

(even though you don't deserve that cup):Smile-_tongue:

Edited by FurphyForum

[T2IOF]
Members
890 posts
4,915 battles
On 4/24/2021 at 8:05 AM, OZZZZZZZ said:

Yeah sure just insult everyone who died at Gallipoli

They're probably spinning in their graves right now reading this. 

• Thanks 1

[CR4ZY]
Members
4 posts
7,942 battles

I simply want to say Thank you to Wargaming for a most thoughtful gesture at a time that means a lot to Kiwi's and Aussies combined.  

• Thanks 1

[TRW]
Beta Testers
256 posts
27,343 battles

To our Kiwi cousins, hopefully next year WG does realise and gives you a Kiwi flag, even better HMNZS achilles as a reward for ANZAC day missions or in the Armoury.

As for that post by OZZZZZZZZZZ or whatever he was called, talk about missing the point of ANZAC day.

I was born in england , my grandfather sailed on HMS Barnham, my Father was an AA gunner in the battle of the Atlantic in Ww2 and I have his medals as he's passed on. I remember them on ANZAC day as Im now a proud Aussie , its about rememberance , not some claptrap carry on about who decided what.

• Thanks 3

[FOOLZ]
Members
3 posts
10,888 battles

Although I have the upmost respect for the ANZACS, as a Brit living in New Zealand we hear the same old story every year about how it was all the fault of the "English". First of all they were British, also included were soldiers from France, India, Nepal. There were more British deaths at Gallipoli than New Zealand suffered throughout both wars. There were over 1200 deaths from my Grandfathers (Manchester Boys) regiment alone, he was injured shortly after arriving and after he recovered he was then sent to another Manchester regiment to fight at the Somme.

In every war since man first picked up a rock the "Armchair Generals" have second guessed decisions made on the battlefield.

Lest We Forget.

• Thanks 1

[DHO-2]
Beta Testers
1,257 posts
12,077 battles

ANZAC was a bloody mess for all involved.

image.png.fcf3511490631b50a37b2629cdb767b5.png

From what I have heard (and read) there was a lot of respect between both sides.  Peter Stanley's book Quinn's Post is very good.  

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

The heroes who shed their blood and lost their lives on this country's soil! You are in the soil of a friendly country now. Therefore rest in peace. You are side by side with the little Mehmets. The mothers who send their sons to the war! Wipe your tears away. Your sons are in our bosom, are in peace and will be sleeping in peace comfortably. From now on, they have became our sons since they have lost their lives on this land.

• Thanks 2

[DOW]
Beta Testers
1,315 posts
18,791 battles

The sad truth about that wiki image is that none of the Nations involved were named other than "British Empire". Sadly, the truth of those Nations who fought there only comes from visiting the place.

It was also made known to us on "ANZAC day" 1999 at Gelibolu's remembrance services that the Turkish flag was made by the memory of seeing the reflections of the moon and stars in the pools of blood in the Turkish trenches...

Edited by Infeedel
Added second sentence regarding visiting...

[SOLOH]
[SOLOH]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
262 posts
771 battles
On 4/25/2021 at 1:05 AM, OZZZZZZZ said:

You left out what happened almost 12 months early which was the main problem. But as you know it so well I don't have to tell you. 

plus Turkey should have stayed our ally but for a certain person screwing them over. Again you should know his name.

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts
On 4/27/2021 at 1:15 AM, frankfletcher_1 said:

Yeah sure just insult everyone who died at Gallipoli

They're probably spinning in their graves right now reading this. 

Actually Gallipoli would have been pulled off IF IF IF and IF.

Local Commanders showed aggression, Invasion forces moved quickly and all associated risks taken, including the older battleships committed against known forts etc. Its what they do.

IF Gallipoli was successful they MIGHT have opened a pathway around to the Polish Frontier if not through one of the Mountain Borderlands somewhat below and caused Germany to have a BIG problem on two fronts.

The Turks can fight. And thats part of the problem as it always has been in history, the last great Invasion of Christian Europe by the Ottoman Turks was halted when a Count filled a valley route with 20,000 crucified men, women and children dying in real time slowly of exposure when the Turk army arrived to witness the horror. They were mentally unwilling to fight such a savage land and people showing such scale of really big bad things. What the Turks had no idea was the Count and other Nations behind his own had blessed few forces to stop the juggernaut. So the Turks turned around and went back home.

We will probably see the Turks fight again in my lifetime for one reason or another, first in Syria and maybe later elsewhere. But they have to organize first and thats one thing they can absolutely do in their Nation's Mosques.

Members
43 posts
9,510 battles
On 5/2/2021 at 5:49 PM, BigWaveSurfer said:

You left out what happened almost 12 months early which was the main problem. But as you know it so well I don't have to tell you. 

plus Turkey should have stayed our ally but for a certain person screwing them over. Again you should know his name.

On 5/2/2021 at 5:49 PM, BigWaveSurfer said:

If you're referring to the dreadnought matter and the latter Goeben affair, somehow this does not equal choosing sides in a world war. In any case, the failure was not Churchill's, it was in the EXECUTION of the idea that was the failure and for that, Churchill has no real part to play. Thus this cottage industry of woe, conspired upon between Australia and Turkish tour companies is a farce and a joke because the sadness is DIRECTED at the wrong source! Would you blame the Wright Brothers because a plane crashed 100  years later? The idea creator is not always responsible for the result and a bad conclusion thereafter with something that the originator of the idea had no part................doesn't it seem senseless to blame him? Or her? It is not the fault of the first person to dream a dream if the followers fail to execute. Focus on the real culprits and in so explaining yourself, stun the lemmings with your perception.

[SOLOH]
[SOLOH]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
262 posts
771 battles

You know ozzzzzzz Churchill once said "History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it". Maybe you should put his books down and read some others. Then you might get an idea of where things went wrong. (hint; look at the first Dardanelles campaign, rushed and with no chance of a win). And yes, he sure did nothing to help stop turkey from changing sides.

Funny thing is Churchill did accidently help win WWII, by delaying operation 'Barbarossa' by 5 weeks when he sent in commonwealth troops to support Greece in her fight against the Italy. 

Weird how things can even them self out