You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Parliament_Funkadelic

Worst ever CV strike, just ate a 83k chunkmuffin?

131 comments in this topic

Members
7,122 posts
26,426 battles

I just ate an 83k CV strike in my 96 AA Montana from an FDR. In all my games I have never been hit that hard by a CV.  (or even half that hard)

Two passes, 8 torps per pass, my dcp was on cooldown.... Two floods first pass and engine knocked out, another flood on second pass.  16 torp hits for 40k, 43k in flooding.

I think that might be a record for damage done by a CV in  less than 15 seconds.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 4
  • Meh 1

[JEDI-]
Members
2,828 posts
10,510 battles

The sick part about FDR is how little skill it takes to land horrible amounts of damage with one torp pass compared to any other CV.

The CV power creep since the reborking is real. Its the only way to keep players interested in their broken game play. Make it more broken and charge money for it.

Screw everyone else's fun.

• Cool 8
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[OPG4]
Members
1,203 posts
2,920 battles
42 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

I just ate an 83k CV strike in my 96 AA Montana from an FDR. In all my games I have never been hit that hard by a CV.  (or even half that hard)

Two passes, 8 torps per pass, my dcp was on cooldown.... Two floods first pass and engine knocked out, another flood on second pass.  16 torp hits for 40k, 43k in flooding.

I think that might be a record for damage done by a CV in  less than 15 seconds.

Well I doubt the floods did the 43k damage in 15 seconds.... besides the cooldown between strike takes 25 seconds..... soooo bit inaccurate, but yes FDR is pretty OP

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[-BUI-]
Members
2,797 posts
7,603 battles

Have you considered turning into the torpedo planes coming towards you instead of just giving them a flat broadside to hit?   

People give me that flat broad, I hit all 8 most times, they turn in, I maybe get 3, sometimes as few as 1.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Meh 8

[HOP4S]
Members
616 posts
24,804 battles
23 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

The sick part about FDR is how little skill it takes to land horrible amounts of damage with one torp pass compared to any other CV.

The CV power creep since the reborking is real. Its the only way to keep players interested in their broken game play. Make it more broken and charge money for it.

Screw everyone else's fun.

I am a little confused here on your reasoning ?  Your take is that because someone used a resource delivery method that created a certain level of damage which in your mind was too easy.  You want those players to use a harder resource delivery system to cause the same amount of said damage since you deemed it to be unfair ?

Specially of all things you are basing it on some notion that it is ruining peoples FUN ?        

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 9

[CLUMP]
Members
2,861 posts
3,004 battles
3 minutes ago, Boomer625 said:

Well I doubt the floods did the 43k damage in 15 seconds.... besides the cooldown between strike takes 25 seconds..... soooo bit inaccurate, but yes FDR is pretty OP

Yeah FDR planes have a 24-second cooldown so it would take at least a minute for both attacks :Smile_hiding: As for getting floods you can blame rng for that :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Meh 1

Members
1,872 posts
3 minutes ago, Boomer625 said:

yeah, FDR is supposed to be kept in check by those long cool downs. It kinda makes sense considering follow-up strikes on the next target to reduce the DPM per squadron, but it is a clunky way to balance damage output.

The nefarious side-effect of this long cool down is that most BBs DCP does not last that long, or barely longer. So with the new visual clues even if you have DCP up for the first drop to repair a flood and broken engine, by the time you get flooded again your DCP is down. Alternatively, you keep your DCP until the second drop comes in, but then you just gave in to 1-2 floods for 20+ seconds.

But hey, you got 96 AA! That ought to protect you, right?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,178 posts
15,765 battles
56 minutes ago, AnimaL21 said:

Sounds more like your most failed dodge ever.  :Smile_teethhappy:

Or no dodge which is why I would like to see the replay. I was attacked by one while testing the Italian BB's by one came that me and lost five planes for a single torpedo hit. He recalled and came back again with the same result. If I was able to do that with a pasta BB which are not known for their AA a Montana which has much better AA than the Italian BB's should have done better.

21 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

83k... that's RTS level damage right there!

The OP got caught with their pants down. DCP had just been used and it seems that they gave their broadside to the FDR for a free shot.

Edited by BrushWolf
  • Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[JEDI-]
Members
2,828 posts
10,510 battles
8 hours ago, Noworriesderpy1 said:

I am a little confused here on your reasoning ?  Your take is that because someone used a resource delivery method that created a certain level of damage which in your mind was too easy.  You want those players to use a harder resource delivery system to cause the same amount of said damage since you deemed it to be unfair ?

Specially of all things you are basing it on some notion that it is ruining peoples FUN ?        

Is this a joke?

How can you act so clueless when the forums are always erupting about CV?

Especially a CV that is unavailable to the majority of players.

A CV that in one pass can wipe out half a BB's health in one torp pass.

A CV that for all intents and purposes of the reborking shouldn't exist.

Yes, I am most certainly saying that the FDR is ruining fun for people.

Edited by xalmgrey
  • Cool 6
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 2

[BUOY]
Members
2,216 posts
22,190 battles
Just now, BrushWolf said:

The OP got caught with their pants down. DCP had just been used and it seems that they gave their broadside to the FDR for a free shot.

FDR's planes are slow but maneuverable and once their aiming reticle is dialed in they can turn however they want to get off an undodgeable shot every time.

The only counter to such a strike is external in the green CV actually paying attention and being in position to drop a fighter squad on top of you and even then if it's a full squad you're outta luck.

[NUWES]
Members
3,848 posts
15,804 battles
11 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

Yeah FDR planes have a 24-second cooldown so it would take at least a minute for both attacks :Smile_hiding: As for getting floods you can blame rng for that :Smile_trollface:

I was going to point out that as well. FDR is certainly somewhat ridiculous but the timeframe of the attack as described isn't possible and he is effectively blaming FDR for the flooding mechanics. 

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,523 battles
57 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

You've clearly never played FDR, it's by far the hardest CV to line up correctly. It murders large stationary targets, I'm betting the OP was sitting still by himself, which allowed the FDR all the time he needed to line up a full drop. FDR planes are slow, turn wide, and have a LONG aim time and cooldown, if the target is actively moving it's hard to hit even a BB.

CVs have their problems for sure, and FDR hits like a truck but you have to be very good to get the hits. Saying it's easy to play just shows you've never played it.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1

[SIM]
Members
6,307 posts
10,286 battles

“Today I got outplayed and I have madfeels and sadfeels.” :cap_old:

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,178 posts
15,765 battles
2 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

FDR's planes are slow but maneuverable and once their aiming reticle is dialed in they can turn however they want to get off an undodgeable shot every time.

The only counter to such a strike is external in the green CV actually paying attention and being in position to drop a fighter squad on top of you and even then if it's a full squad you're outta luck.

While true that they can do a lot of maneuvering they cannot change the angle of attack enough to stay on the broadside of a maneuvering target, turning in or away, that started that maneuver before they started their attack run. Any maneuvering will reduce the number of torpedoes that can hit. I am quite certain that the OP gave the FDR a free shot twice.

• Cool 2

[NUWES]
Members
3,848 posts
15,804 battles
1 minute ago, lloyd1701 said:

They can, but with their slow speed they can only displace so far once they start attacking. Also the torps are slow and fan out. It is near impossible to avoid all of them but it isn't hard to keep the hits to a minimum by turning into them. Individually they only do 4300 damage with really low flood chance so eating a torp or two isn't a problem. 

Without video it is hard to tell how things actually went down, but to get hit with 8 torps on two passes is really unusual. I'd be curious to see the circumstances. 

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
3,848 posts
15,804 battles
4 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

You've clearly never played FDR, it's by far the hardest CV to line up correctly. It murders large stationary targets, I'm betting the OP was sitting still by himself, which allowed the FDR all the time he needed to line up a full drop. FDR planes are slow, turn wide, and have a LONG aim time and cooldown, if the target is actively moving it's hard to hit even a BB.

CVs have their problems for sure, and FDR hits like a truck but you have to be very good to get the hits. Saying it's easy to play just shows you've never played it.

I agree. Landing as many torps as the OP said, twice is hard. I don't think I have ever got 16 torp hits in 2 passes with my FDR. If you manage to hit with the first 8 the target normally moves and starts maneuvering. 

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,178 posts
15,765 battles
4 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

This, many times over and even against other CV's there are ways to reduce the damage taken. Ignoring planes until they are on you is a recipe to get clobbered.

• Meh 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,326 posts
9,598 battles

Worst I have received was a MvR sinking my 2/3rds health Musashi in three passes of his dive bomber squadron (pre-MvR nerf).  Musashi AA being what it is he didn't have to bother coming back with a fresh squad.  He ought to have done so sooner because, by the time he did, the damage my Musashi had inflicted on his team made his loss practically inevitable.

Edited by Helstrem

Members
7,122 posts
26,426 battles
47 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Have you considered turning into the torpedo planes coming towards you instead of just giving them a flat broadside to hit?   

People give me that flat broad, I hit all 8 most times, they turn in, I maybe get 3, sometimes as few as 1.

there are situations in games that are tough to deal with,  we had a bad team and i did everything I could to stop a push, save a cap, dodge torps and incoming fire.  I was fighting 11 other ships the best i could, the 12th, however, i could do nothing about or against. and in 15 seconds he did 83k damage to me and i shot down 5 planes.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[VIGIL]
Members
1,441 posts
20 minutes ago, atl_grunge said:

CVs are the worst thing ever happened to this game

As a new player I really wonder why they don’t just let the players opt for CV or no CV matches and let the community speak for itself. 

• Thanks 2

[TORCH]
Members
829 posts
8,354 battles
5 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

there are situations in games that are tough to deal with,  we had a bad team and i did everything I could to stop a push, save a cap, dodge torps and incoming fire.  I was fighting 11 other ships the best i could, the 12th, however, i could do nothing about or against. and in 15 seconds he did 83k damage to me and i shot down 5 planes.

congrats for having the class to not treat that suggestion with the scorn and eyerolls it deserved

[KWF]
Members
6,769 posts
7,727 battles

My question isn't how much you suffered which is obviously alot, but how many planes you shot down and deprived of the FDR.

• Cool 1