Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lazy_Joe

Ramming mechanic - how does it work?

13 comments in this topic

Members
650 posts

Ramming an enemy ship - easy to understand how it works? Really? Please watch and reply, how it all works... if you think you figured it out. For sure, I haven't.

https://youtu.be/z1ugTwRYQHI

Edited by Lazy_Joe

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,523 battles
2 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

Get more confused

Observe

I think that had to do with relative speeds, you were moving the BB wasn't.

It depends on your total available HP (not your current HP) and relative speed. General rule is bigger ship - do more damage. Usually both people die. But the speed factors in too, so it can get weird. And I think there's some other wonkiness that goes on. As far as I know no one has been able to figure out a rule that works for all situations, weird things are still common with ramming. 

Members
650 posts
30 minutes ago, SirPent13 said:

Nvm didnt watch video

Give this video a watch

So the obscure part is, that, when having the ramming flag mounted, the damage you take is based on your own ship's max HP rather than the enemies max HP. Did I get that correctly?

Then why does Petro not just kill Alsace in case #1? She receives 80% of her HP as damage on first contact but deals only 51k to Alsace. She should deal enough to kill Alsace with one contact. Like in case #4.

Edited by Lazy_Joe

[SALVO]
Members
16,451 posts
10,192 battles
20 minutes ago, Lazy_Joe said:

So the obscure part is, that, when having the ramming flag mounted, the damage you take is based on your own ship's max HP rather than the enemies max HP. Did I get that correctly?

Then why does Petro not just kill Alsace in case #1? She receives 80% of her HP as damage on first contact but deals only 51k to Alsace. She should deal enough to kill Alsace with one contact. Like in case #4.

Ok here goes my theory: 

Damage is calculated from relative speed vector * ship HP * flag modifiers.

In case #1  speed vector comes angled relative to target, damage done is reduced proportional to vector angle. 

For damage received, speed vector is equal but inverse (target is standing still) and angle is flat. You take full damage from the collision but deliver only partial damage.

[CVA16]
Members
8,873 posts
27,073 battles
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

Ok here goes my theory: 

Damage is calculated from relative speed vector * ship HP * flag modifiers.

In case #1  speed vector comes angled relative to target, damage done is reduced proportional to vector angle. 

For damage received, speed vector is equal but inverse (target is standing still) and angle is flat. You take full damage from the collision but deliver only partial damage.

I think there are just 2 collision types:

Low speed-small amount of mutual damage per second of contact. All green on  green collisions are considered slow speed.

Everything else-each ship does its base HP to the other ship instantly. Ramming flags modify this (do more, take less)

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,844 posts
12,007 battles

Relative speed and angle makes a difference as to how much damage is done during an impact.  When one ship has a larger health pool, the percentage of reduction due to speed can take off enough health to cause death on one ship while the other lives.  The ram flag just modifies those numbers.

I don't know if the ram bug has been fixed or not, but in high speed collisions, there was sometimes a 2nd impact that could cause damage, but wasn't actually classified as a ram.  It can cause some damage numbers that are outside the expected range.  This really shows up when a smaller ship has a ram flag that allows it to survive the first hit and can get another hit in to essentially double dip.  Both ships often die, but a larger ship that wouldn't normally die actually does as well.

[CVA16]
Members
8,873 posts
27,073 battles
1 hour ago, Murcc said:

Relative speed and angle makes a difference as to how much damage is done during an impact. 

Not according to wiki.

Ramming - Global wiki. Wargaming.net

Angle is not a factor. Which agrees with most rams I have seen. Any contact instantly destroys one or both ships depending on HP pools and remaining HP. The speed is the closure speed so if a New York  is chasing a Texas down from behind it will be a slooooow speed ram.

Summary

Remember, Total HP Pool is your maximum HP, not your current HP.

• Ramming below 5 knots results in minor damage.
  • Ramming above 5 knots results in major damage.
    • Ramming damage dealt to the other ship equals your ship's total HP pool (or less if the ramming speed is too low).
  • Received ramming damage of at least 10% of your ship's total HP pool will result in flooding.
  • Hotel Yankee Signals give -20% damage received, +50% damage dealt
Edited by Sabot_100

[MRCS]
Members
136 posts
7,422 battles

I go with the theory that max HP damage is done at any speed and any(even low) actual health.

edit: well it seems legit now that I've checked the math and I was doing 8knots so that is max damage range, but I was running a Hotel Yankee flag too.

so the math with the flag and GKfurst max HP gives a 84,640hp hit to me and alas I only had 82,540 left.:Smile_sad: 

Spoiler

please ignore my stupid targeting choice on the last salvo :cap_fainting:

750436171_YamatoramedandkilledbyGKfurst_Momentflag2crop.thumb.jpg.53652d291b7a970a0778ad96fcd1ef92.jpg

Edited by ClosedCoffin

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,844 posts
12,007 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

Not according to wiki.

Ramming - Global wiki. Wargaming.net

Angle is not a factor. Which agrees with most rams I have seen. Any contact instantly destroys one or both ships depending on HP pools and remaining HP. The speed is the closure speed so if a New York  is chasing a Texas down from behind it will be a slooooow speed ram.

Yes, true...but, I always equate speed and angles together.  On a stationary target the differential is the same as a direct impact.  On an angled target if both are moving, the relative speed is dependent on the angle of impact.  I'm not sure it does in this instance due to the way calculations are done in the game, but in most instances, it should hold true.

Members
650 posts
On 4/23/2021 at 3:23 AM, Murcc said:

Yes, true...but, I always equate speed and angles together.  On a stationary target the differential is the same as a direct impact.  On an angled target if both are moving, the relative speed is dependent on the angle of impact.  I'm not sure it does in this instance due to the way calculations are done in the game, but in most instances, it should hold true.

Well, in my examples the Alsace was always stationary (in case 3 she got pushed around a bit, though). So the speed displayed in the bottom left equals the relative speed.

Members
650 posts
On 4/23/2021 at 1:33 AM, Sabot_100 said:

Ramming damage dealt to the other ship equals your ship's total HP pool (or less if the ramming speed is too low).

Case 4 shows what iChase already figured earlier: under certain circumstances you will deal the other ship's max HP - 20%, your own max HP is irrelevant.

The flag signal HY has an undocumented quality.