Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DevilD0g

smoke timer for friendly ships

8 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,630
[RAN]
Members
984 posts
11,592 battles

What i would like to see is smoke timers for friendly ships.

For example,

A cruiser pulls out from around the back of an island and a DD lays smoke for the cruiser and the cruiser pulls into the smoke for cover.

once in the smoke area, the smoke time should be available to the cruiser once in the smoke so the cruiser then knows when to go and when to stay etc.

Or any subsequent ship that pulls into the smoke area as you only code it for the ships in the smoke area.

The timer exists in the game for the ship initializing the smoke but not the friendly ship that enters the smoke later, thats what im asking for .

This is a great idea and a simple request to make for programmers that will greatly assist friendly team mates and promote team play .

Can we have this please Wargamming

Edited by DevilD0g

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389
[OPG4]
Members
1,203 posts
2,920 battles
3 minutes ago, DevilD0g said:

What i would like to see is smoke timers for friendly ships.

For example,

A cruiser pulls out from around the back of an island and a DD lays smoke for the cruiser and the cruiser pulls into the smoke for cover.

once in the smoke area, the smoke time should be available to the cruiser once in the smoke so the cruiser then knows when to go and when to stay etc.

This is a great idea and a simple request to make for programmers that will greatly assist friendly team mates and promote team play .

Can we have this please Wargamming

I believe there is already a timer for other ships when in smoke. It is a bit small, but it works. Not sure if it is part of the alt interface or not, since I usually run full alt interface in settings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
155
[_CIA_]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
404 posts
3,610 battles

Yeah, there's definitely one.  They put it in at some point.  I also run a mod that helps.  I can't remember if it applies to enemy smoke or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
778
[RSL]
Members
897 posts
13,701 battles

The timer already exists in the game, the caveat is that this timer disappears if you leave the smoke. If your suggestion is to somehow be able to see how much time is left when outside of the smoke, then I think it is an excellent idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
155
[_CIA_]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
404 posts
3,610 battles
17 minutes ago, SirPent13 said:

The timer already exists in the game, the caveat is that this timer disappears if you leave the smoke. If your suggestion is to somehow be able to see how much time is left when outside of the smoke, then I think it is an excellent idea. 

The only problem with that is, what happens when multiple ships drop a smoke screen?  Do you then have multiple counters?  Then you have to know which ship dropped the smoke.  I guess the way around it is to see the player name on the mini map and then assume the closest smoked dropping player is the one who dropped the smoke you're interested in.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,198
[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,523 battles
25 minutes ago, Benjammn79 said:

The only problem with that is, what happens when multiple ships drop a smoke screen?  Do you then have multiple counters?  Then you have to know which ship dropped the smoke.  I guess the way around it is to see the player name on the mini map and then assume the closest smoked dropping player is the one who dropped the smoke you're interested in.

When you enter the smoke cloud the timer shows up for the current puff you're in. It's enabled in settings, graphics near the bottom there's a checkbox.

On seeing it outside of smoke, I can see how that would be useful, but I don't see a good way to do that. I guess you could have the counter hovering over the cloud, but that might get a bit cluttered. If I'm relying on sitting behind a smokescreen for cover I pay attention to who dropped it (you should be aware of who on your team dropped smoke). RN DD don't rely on it, German or IJN DD it's going to be short, USN DD or RN CL and I've got a bit. Little tricky sometimes, but I think having floating numbers on smokescreens could really start to add clutter to the HUD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
155
[_CIA_]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
404 posts
3,610 battles
3 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

I think having floating numbers on smokescreens could really start to add clutter to the HUD.

Completely agree!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,630
[RAN]
Members
984 posts
11,592 battles

you dont need smoke times in the game over the smoke,  just in  your hud  as it normally is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×