Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Benjammn79

Auto-filter game chat instead of auto-ban

71 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

155
[_CIA_]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
404 posts
3,610 battles

I could go back and read through patch notes, but did WG institute an in-game chat ban for profanity?  It's happened to me twice in the last couple weeks.  I've tried not to grief at folks as much the last few months and generally my in chat f-bombs are because I [edited] up or over extended or was frustrated because I wasn't paying attention and gave full broadside to a BB at 10km in my Neptune which promptly [edited] slapped me.  After a chat ban couple weeks ago (yes, the entire team was arguing with each including me), I was definitely more careful about making sure I wasn't griefing and would take a break if I was getting too frustrated (or would go play co-op).  But I logged in this morning and saw I had another chat ban.  Which really doesn't make sense.  Seriously, what the [edited]?

  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,039
Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
7 minutes ago, Benjammn79 said:

I could go back and read through patch notes, but did WG institute an in-game chat ban for profanity?  It's happened to me twice in the last couple weeks.  I've tried not to grief at folks as much the last few months and generally my in chat f-bombs are because I [edited] up or over extended or was frustrated because I wasn't paying attention and gave full broadside to a BB at 10km in my Neptune which promptly [edited] slapped me.  After a chat ban couple weeks ago (yes, the entire team was arguing with each including me), I was definitely more careful about making sure I wasn't griefing and would take a break if I was getting too frustrated (or would go play co-op).  But I logged in this morning and saw I had another chat ban.  Which really doesn't make sense.  Seriously, what the [edited]?

The auto bans are a result of in-game player reports. You get enough of them, and you get a 24-hr chat holiday.

The thing with that is, many people will report "misbehavior in chat" for any reason at all, (or none) because it's the only report option with any consequences. 

Keep in mind though, if you get one longer than 24 hrs, it's because somebody filed a ticket, WG investigated, and decided you deserved it.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,337
Members
2,765 posts

Profanity: Almost everyone uses it because almost everyone else uses it.

Why not be different? Why not express yourself colorfully and abundantly WITHOUT the use of unflushed toilet material?

It keeps the literary landscape cleaner and fresher and allows the other expressive terms English affords to sprinkle that landscape with new, fun similies.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,327
[KWF]
Members
6,769 posts
7,727 battles

From what I know you can ask Support to send you the transcript of what got you banned. Might be worth asking to see what prompted the ban.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
155
[_CIA_]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
404 posts
3,610 battles
1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

Keep in mind though, if you get one longer than 24 hrs, it's because somebody filed a ticket, WG investigated, and decided you deserved it.

Both have been multiple days.  This one is 4 days.  I shall file a ticket myself.  See if I can find out what language WG is so indignant about.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,039
Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
7 minutes ago, Benjammn79 said:

Both have been multiple days.  This one is 4 days.  I shall file a ticket myself.  See if I can find out what language WG is so indignant about.

Yeah, if it's one of those, they'll let you know why.

Sometimes, it's just because you said something you technically aren't supposed to, that nobody usually cares about, and you ran into that one guy.... (or maybe somebody would normally not bother, but you somehow irked them in some other fashion)

 

Edited by Skpstr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,850
[BONKS]
Members
4,814 posts
52 battles

There are two ways to get a chatban. If it is only 24 hours long you have been chatbanned by player reports. If it is longer than that you've either been manually banned by support and/or been put on the list for the automatic system, from then on the game automatically checks whether you use words it considers profane from time to time and bans you accordingly (at least that's how I understood it last time someone from WG explained it).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
808 posts

I'm almost 100% certain that the chat ban system now includes auto detection of certain words including profanity but also other words like "moron", stupid", "noob", etc. I've been banned in cases where I used words like "noob"  in sentences that look like this " Please don't all be noobs and do a lemming train" or " Camping at the back of the map is stupid, get closer and support".  
It just counts how often certain words have been used within a time span and then auto chat bans you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
155
[_CIA_]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
404 posts
3,610 battles
1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

Yeah, if it's one of those, they'll let you know why.

Guess we'll find out.  I submitted a ticket.

1 minute ago, El2aZeR said:

There are two ways to get a chatban. If it is only 24 hours long you have been chatbanned by player reports. If it is longer than that you've either been manually banned by support and/or been put on the list for the automatic system, from then on the game automatically checks whether you use words it considers profane from time to time and bans you accordingly (at least that's how I understood it last time someone from WG explained it).

Thanks for the info.  I find it amusing how WG lets an automated system decide what its thinks is profane and censors players.  Also, have they ever spent time on a middle school playground?  Or around restaurant kitchen staff?  Or around actual military personnel?  The most profane language I've ever heard was from an Air Force 2 star.  That dude knew how to cuss.  It was impressive.

  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,039
Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
Just now, Benjammn79 said:

Guess we'll find out.  I submitted a ticket.

Thanks for the info.  I find it amusing how WG lets an automated system decide what its thinks is profane and censors players.

 

Well, actual people set the parameters for the auto system, so it's not really doing the deciding, but WG themselves.

To do it manually would be labor intensive

Just now, Benjammn79 said:

 

Also, have they ever spent time on a middle school playground? 

If you're caught, there are consequences, just like here. The only difference is that it's a lot harder to get caught at school, because staff can't monitor what everyone says. 

Plus, while I don't mind one of my kid's peers swearing at them, if some adult starts swearing at my kid, I'm not putting up with that, they'll wish they just got a chat ban. Just because it's the internet, doesn't mean I have to accept it if the venue has rules against it.

It's like walking down the street drinking a beer. You might get away with it 99 times, because nobody cares. But that 100th time, somebody does care and reports you. If you get caught, you have to remember that you broke the rules.

Just now, Benjammn79 said:

Or around restaurant kitchen staff?  Or around actual military personnel?  The most profane language I've ever heard was from an Air Force 2 star.  That dude knew how to cuss.  It was impressive.

The thing there is, how many restaurant staff and military personnel are 13 years old or so? 

You have to remember you aren't playing an 18+ game. WG can't have the rating they have, and not make "colorful" language come with consequences.

Having said all that, I don't really care about profanity, but I recognise that it's not allowed in WG's house, and if I choose to use it, there's a chance I could suffer consequences.

"Everybody does it" may be a good reason to change the rules, but not to break them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
155
[_CIA_]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
404 posts
3,610 battles
10 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Well, actual people set the parameters for the auto system, so it's not really doing the deciding, but WG themselves.

To do it manually would be labor intensive

Agreed manually censoring players would be labor intensive.  Automating it is a good idea in theory.  But setting parameters for automating dynamic things like typed language is kind of dicey and often prone to errors.  Also, if the forums can edit me, why the [edited] can't game chat?

13 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

You have to remember you aren't playing an 18+ game. WG can't have the rating they have, and not make "colorful" language come with consequences.

Your comment made me wonder what WoWS's rating was.  It's T for Teen.  And the ERSB site says T rating has infrequent use of strong language.  The ERSB further says strong language is: Explicit and/or frequent use of profanity.  So infrequent frequent use of profanity.  LOL.  That's definitive.  WG's website also says that online interactions are not rated by the ESRB.  Which means it's censored by our comrade overlords.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,060
[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
10,578 posts
1 minute ago, Benjammn79 said:

 Which means it's censored by our comrade overlords.

This is pretty much the definitive answer at the end of the day.  Their business, their rules.

Most online video games have some policy about language and profanity, especially when used against other players.  I try to follow a simple rule that just avoids running into it all together which is simply, don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
155
[_CIA_]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
404 posts
3,610 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

This is pretty much the definitive answer at the end of the day.  Their business, their rules.

Most online video games have some policy about language and profanity, especially when used against other players.  I try to follow a simple rule that just avoids running into it all together which is simply, don't.

Yeah, I hear ya.  I simply think it's kinda arbitrary and puritanical.

Edited by Benjammn79
Oops

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,222
[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

Its a three day autoban on certain words.

Type the magic word? boom banned.

And people whine when I disable chat. HA... the nerve. We have had many online games with servers that run autoban scripts the problem with those is if you typed a magic word you are permabanned until you replace the computer box that the game was installed on. As it was a hardware ban.

Edited by xHeavy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,017
[ARGSY]
Members
31,076 posts
29,316 battles

I misread the thread title as "Autobahn for in-game chat."

MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY!!!! :Smile_veryhappy:

Speaking of autobahns: 

 There are times I want to type the most terrible things into chat. Things that would get me banned on 4chan. But I know what the consequences are, so I just whisper it under my breath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,380
[WOLFC]
Members
2,788 posts

I read this as


Autobahn for in game chat?

 

and thought we were going to be able to go as fast we wanted....

 

 

SNAP

Edited by Anonymous50

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,060
[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
10,578 posts
14 minutes ago, Benjammn79 said:

Yeah, I hear ya.  I simply think it's kinda arbitrary and puritanical.

I certainly get their reasoning.  Think about it like this, if you belonged to a weekly poker night group or say an R/C club, and you get in somebody's face, vile language and calling them out.  Maybe the first time it will be a bit uncomfortable but overlooked.  Again and again and again, though, the same guy....eventually they are likely to remove that person from the group.  They are there to play cards and unwind from life.  Some good natured ribbing is fun and maybe even expected but, it's not weekly fight night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,130
[NMKJT]
Members
4,282 posts
9,133 battles
6 minutes ago, Benjammn79 said:

Yeah, I hear ya.  I simply think it's kinda arbitrary and puritanical.

Not so much puritanical, so much as they're protecting the feelings of terrible players. Once they start banning for pretty basic negative words (stupid, noob, etc) like mentioned in this thread, it's pretty obvious they don't want those people to be allowed to feel called out or slighted for bad decisions ever. Or really anyone, cause sometimes you get that fired at anyone who makes a mistake, I've had it done at me and seen it done at better people than me. But the primary recipients tend to be terrible players.

Words like stupid being on the list also means your in-game banter could get you chatbanned, so watch out lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
155
[_CIA_]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
404 posts
3,610 battles
3 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I certainly get their reasoning.  Think about it like this, if you belonged to a weekly poker night group or say an R/C club, and you get in somebody's face, vile language and calling them out.  Maybe the first time it will be a bit uncomfortable but overlooked.  Again and again and again, though, the same guy....eventually they are likely to remove that person from the group.  They are there to play cards and unwind from life.  Some good natured ribbing is fun and maybe even expected but, not have weekly fight night.

 

1 minute ago, MnemonScarlet said:

Not so much puritanical, so much as they're protecting the feelings of terrible players. Once they start banning for pretty basic negative words (stupid, noob, etc) like mentioned in this thread, it's pretty obvious they don't want those people to be allowed to feel called out or slighted for bad decisions ever. Or really anyone, cause sometimes you get that fired at anyone who makes a mistake, I've had it done at me and seen it done at better people than me. But the primary recipients tend to be terrible players.

Words like stupid being on the list also means your in-game banter could get you chatbanned, so watch out lol.

If it was griefing, I would totally understand.  I used to be really bad about that in the past.  Probably should have received a ban back then.  But as I mentioned in my OP, I've been super careful not to grief anyone.  Especially after the first unexplained ban.  In the last week, I do distinctly recall saying "i hate this (f-bomb) ship" and "damn, I just (f-bomb)'ed up big time".  So I'm 99.9% sure this recent ban isn't about me going off on players.  It's about me using naughty words and WG can't have naughty words.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,017
[ARGSY]
Members
31,076 posts
29,316 battles
5 minutes ago, Benjammn79 said:

It's about me using naughty words and WG can't have naughty words.

And yet I've told people "F (in full) you for killing me but congrats on the Kraken" and faced no sanctions. Very strange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,130
[NMKJT]
Members
4,282 posts
9,133 battles
7 minutes ago, Benjammn79 said:

If it was griefing, I would totally understand.  I used to be really bad about that in the past.  Probably should have received a ban back then.  But as I mentioned in my OP, I've been super careful not to grief anyone.  Especially after the first unexplained ban.  In the last week, I do distinctly recall saying "i hate this (f-bomb) ship" and "damn, I just (f-bomb)'ed up big time".  So I'm 99.9% sure this recent ban isn't about me going off on players.  It's about me using naughty words and WG can't have naughty words.

If you've been flagged before it'll pick up those words even if you're not getting mad at someone, so you have to watch what you say in-game as a consequence now. And yes the standard profanity is probably on the list even if you aren't using it that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,158
[WOLFG]
Members
17,119 posts
20,503 battles
2 minutes ago, MnemonScarlet said:

If you've been flagged before it'll pick up those words even if you're not getting mad at someone, so you have to watch what you say in-game as a consequence now. And yes the standard profanity is probably on the list even if you aren't using it that way.

Yeah, I don't think context is taken in to account.  So :etc_swear: me or :etc_swear:my life is viewed the same as :etc_swear: YOU YOU :etc_swear:ING :etc_swear:!!!!!!! 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
643
[V_V_V]
Members
1,509 posts
20,773 battles
1 hour ago, Benjammn79 said:

generally my in chat f-bombs are because I [edited] up

 

1 hour ago, Benjammn79 said:

Seriously, what the [edited]?

 

15 minutes ago, Benjammn79 said:

n the last week, I do distinctly recall saying "i hate this (f-bomb) ship" and "damn, I just (f-bomb)'ed up big time".

Gee, I just can't imagine why you might have received a chat ban...

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,055
[WOLF7]
Members
1,378 posts
2 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Yeah, I don't think context is taken in to account.  So :etc_swear: me or :etc_swear:my life is viewed the same as :etc_swear: YOU YOU :etc_swear:ING :etc_swear:!!!!!!! 

I have had it with these monkey-fighting snakes on this Monday to Friday plane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×