You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mercsn

Dodging Carrier Attacks

20 comments in this topic

[DREAD]
Members
59 posts
1,065 battles

Small, fast, maneuverable ships (like most destroyers) should be able to dodge carrier plane attacks.  Usually, a decent CV is able to hit a decent, fast, maneuvering DD.  While this may make gameplay very "comfortable" for the carrier player, it makes the destroyer almost completely useless since they can't hide and can't sit at the back of the map.

Carrier attacks vs destroyers need extra dispersion (bombs and rockets) or reduced speed (torpedoes).

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

Members
1,600 posts
2,011 battles
6 minutes ago, Mercsn said:

it makes the destroyer almost completely useless since they can't hide and can't sit at the back of the map.

Useful destroyers sit at the back of the map?  :cap_wander:

• Funny 1

[DREAD]
Members
59 posts
1,065 battles
1 minute ago, black_hull4 said:

Useful destroyers sit at the back of the map?  :cap_wander:

That's exactly my point.  To be useful, a destroyer should not sit at the back of the map.  Other ships have that option (unfortunately), especially the most tanky ships. 

[WOLF1]
Members
1,151 posts
2,228 battles
48 minutes ago, Mercsn said:

Small, fast, maneuverable ships (like most destroyers) should be able to dodge carrier plane attacks.  Usually, a decent CV is able to hit a decent, fast, maneuvering DD.  While this may make gameplay very "comfortable" for the carrier player, it makes the destroyer almost completely useless since they can't hide and can't sit at the back of the map.

Carrier attacks vs destroyers need extra dispersion (bombs and rockets) or reduced speed (torpedoes).

Do you say turning off aa and turning it on at right moments, maneuvering, smoke, team support, position besides geography such as islands, and correct priory sector use are useless?

Like you can almost guarantee to thwart the first attack run by turning on your aa when you are spotted by the planes only, then force the CV to guess by turning it off again when the planes do a go around. This creates an inaccurate pass, and you have whittled some planes away as well. On the thrid strike, angle in to minimize damage or smoke up.

• Thanks 1

Members
229 posts
71 battles

Lol - Server lag is a defence against CV.  

:cap_wander:

[DREAD]
Members
59 posts
1,065 battles
On 4/21/2021 at 11:47 PM, Boomer625 said:

Do you say turning off aa and turning it on at right moments, maneuvering, smoke, team support, position besides geography such as islands, and correct priory sector use are useless? 

Like you can almost guarantee to thwart the first attack run by turning on your aa when you are spotted by the planes only, then force the CV to guess by turning it off again when the planes do a go around. This creates an inaccurate pass, and you have whittled some planes away as well. On the thrid strike, angle in to minimize damage or smoke up.

I do all that.  It doesn't prevent a CV from killing a DD.  The DD is mostly useless in a match with a CV, doubly so if there's 2 CV. Don't defend bad (aka "comfortable") game design.  It's like giving a puppy a treat when it poops the rug.

Edited by Mercsn
  • Cool 3

[WOLF1]
Members
1,151 posts
2,228 battles
8 hours ago, Mercsn said:

I do all that.  It doesn't prevent a CV from killing a DD.  The DD is mostly useless in a match with a CV, doubly so if there's 2 CV. Don't defend bad (aka "comfortable") game design.  It's like giving a puppy a treat when it poops the rug.

Even if you get killed, the Cv has to spend all of that time focusing you and not some other target. Doing all of those tactics makes the CV bleed more and more of its potential dpm, spotting, and planes.

Edited by Boomer625

[TIMT]
Members
1,780 posts
On 4/21/2021 at 8:56 PM, Mercsn said:

The general attitude on this forum is that CVs are fine, all DDs do is whining about them, and that AA works. All who say otherwise are either part of a secret cabal lead by some CCs or former CCs, or are just a vocal minority that should be ignored.

We had plenty of discussions about CVs here, with almost weekly threads with complaints against CVs and how AA works. Almost everyone knows how bad it is, yet it seems our corporate overlords do not wish to change it as that would be admitting to a very costly mistake, the kind of which is usually tied to changes in personnel at the management level.

I hope I am wrong with all of this.

[DREAD]
Members
59 posts
1,065 battles
On 4/24/2021 at 10:31 PM, shinytrashcan said:

The general attitude on this forum is that CVs are fine, all DDs do is whining about them, and that AA works. All who say otherwise are either part of a secret cabal lead by some CCs or former CCs, or are just a vocal minority that should be ignored.

We had plenty of discussions about CVs here, with almost weekly threads with complaints against CVs and how AA works. Almost everyone knows how bad it is, yet it seems our corporate overlords do not wish to change it as that would be admitting to a very costly mistake, the kind of which is usually tied to changes in personnel at the management level.

I hope I am wrong with all of this.

That's unfortunate.  "Just dodge" definitely doesn't work.  The new mechanic that will indicate where rockets are aimed will help, but considering how long and tight the spread is, it won't help enough to prevent huge hits that can't be avoided. 

There's simply no way to retaliate OR defend against a carrier attack.  AA is useless on all but a few ships.  I took two rocket attacks that killed my destroyer (while dodging) and only knocked down ONE plane.  At the very minimum aircraft kills should contribute to battle points.  I understand that might make the carriers slightly less comfortable because commanders would have to think about something, but really it's tiny step to balancing the CV problem. 

What I really don't understand is why introduce a class that is a counter to the CV (submarine) while continuing to coddle the CV players.  If subs can actually get to the CV, their player base will drop below the WG minimum goal.  If subs can't counter carriers, nobody will play subs and then 4 years of work is lost on THAT class.  WG has two classes that only very few people want in a "ships" game and they are both competing for "we put a lot of time into this, we need players to play them so we can sell premium ships of this type".

Just dodge doesn't work.  Their is no defense and no counter against carrier planes. 

• Cool 1

[DREAD]
Members
59 posts
1,065 battles

Just ate 4 or 5 torpedoes over 3 sorties.  WHILE DODGING (or attempting to).  Dodging CV attacks simply isn't a practical possibility.  The CV attack mechanic needs a rework.  Heck, even DD torp attacks aren't GUARANTEED, the way CV torpedo and rocket attacks are. 

[FEB-M]
Members
210 posts
6,306 battles

For me, it's quite clear that CVs are well balanced against CV, BB, CA and CL. And Rocket planes are overpowered against DDs!

How's in real life? Hitting a moving DD is many magnitudes harder than hitting a slow BB. And ROCKETS AREN'T GUIDED. 

Therefore, a rocket salvo from 2 or 3 airplanes should naturally be more SPREAD. Hit all over cruisers, from stern to bow, or ~75% of a broadside BB. And this translates to many of those rockets missing a small DD.

What we see in game? The smaller the DD, more compact becomes the "hit area" for rockets. It's as easy to hit ALL ROCKETS in a small Shimakaze as an Yamato, place both as static bots in training and check. THIS MAKES NO SENSE, the rockets spread should prevent at least half them, or more, from hitting a small target, so it becomes more efficient  against larger targets. We don't see the rockets piling up a single spot in a large BB, they do spread...

i do play a lot with CV, I like the gameplay. But except for German carriers, Rocket planes are OP against DDs, due its "variable spread".
And its fix can be quite trivial, just increase spread for rockets, as the machinegun fire shows. Don't have to remove CVs or rebalance everything. Just increase rockets' spread over a wider area, and it will reduce DD damage per attack wave.

[CVA16]
Members
6,735 posts
20,793 battles
On 4/24/2021 at 10:49 AM, Boomer625 said:

Even if you get killed, the Cv has to spend all of that time focusing you and not some other target. Doing all of those tactics makes the CV bleed more and more of its potential dpm, spotting, and planes.

Yep, that's why I play this game. To accomplish nothing except being a martyr for the team. To be mildly annoying to the near immortal player on the other team as my main contribution. 

I've actually found a way to dodge CV attacks most of the time. Play Coop.

Edited by Sabot_100
  • Sad 1

[WOLF1]
Members
1,151 posts
2,228 battles
2 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Yep, that's why I play this game. To accomplish nothing except being a martyr for the team. To be mildly annoying to the near immortal player on the other team as my main contribution. 

I've actually found a way to dodge CV attacks most of the time. Play Coop.

1. You do not accomplish nothing. Once the CV attack of about 30-1 min is over, you can resume doing whatever tasks you want, until the CV comes with another flight two minutes later or decides to strike at other targets first

2. Although CV players just sit their ships in the back, effective CV players hope to get as close to the front lines as possible to minimize strike cycle times. I usually try park near the BB line or even in front of the BBs behind an island. Miss positioning will guarantee a massive loss of health/death due to the horrible CV maneuverability, the need to sacrifice/recall a strike, and the bad autopilot that cant do it for you/ puts you in greater danger

Edited by Boomer625

[DREAD]
Members
59 posts
1,065 battles
On 5/19/2021 at 7:17 PM, Boomer625 said:

1. You do not accomplish nothing. Once the CV attack of about 30-1 min is over, you can resume doing whatever tasks you want, until the CV comes with another flight two minutes later or decides to strike at other targets first

You cannot "resume doing whatever tasks you want".  The CV player will bully the DD out of a cap. Cap contesting is a major part of what tasks a DD should be doing.  You have to realize that the DD MUST go to safe hard cover or die when the CV goes after them. It's not JUST the CV attacking the DD.  It's the CV spotting the DD, with impunity and allowing everyone else on that team with a line of fire, a free shot.  Most DD don't have the AA to defend, or even charge a tax, on the CV player for just spotting them. 

This spotting means that the DD must go behind cover.  While behind cover, the DD can't spot, which is another primary task a DD should do.  But, the DD can just go spot after the attack?  DD are quicker than most ships (usually), but this isn't a shooter, where the DD can just pop up and hit "sprint" until he gets into position to spot.  IF the DD chooses to try and get to such a position, move out of hard cover, spot the enemy, by the time he gets there, guess what?  Yup, more planes.  Except, now, the DD is away from hard cover and must rely on smoke and hope that the enemy doesn't blind fire or torpedo the smoke.  Further, the CV player can torp the smoke, just like ships can.  WORSE, the CV player can drop fighters over the smoke and wait the DD out.  The DD will have no choice but to try and escape away from the enemy to had cover, with the smoke blocking any spotting and nowhere near cap contesting.

Radar and (to a lesser extent) hydro have the same effects.  However, these are more balanced.  First, they are MUCH shorter ranged than the CV which has NO RANGE LIMITATION to its attacks (c'mon, even artillery in WoT has a maximum range!).  Second, the radar or hydro ship is within range of attacks and DIRECTLY RISKING THEIR OWN HITPOINT POOL.  Sure, they may be behind an island, but they're still near the action.  Also, these ships can be spotted before they're radar or hydro can be used, if in open water, and avoided. CV spotting by planes often CAN'T be avoided because they travel MUCH faster than a ship.

Anyone defending CV design as balanced needs to get "comfortable" and "recheck the spreadsheet".

Simple suggestions if WG had any interest in balancing the class (which they don't because they have a minimum goal of players that WG wants playing CV):

1) Normalize CV anti-aircraft capability to the average of the tier.  This would enable CV's to counter play each other (like counter artillery or counter sniper in a ground game)

2) Make the CV's planes WORTH POINTS on the scoreboard.  One of the biggest problems with CV is that the player RISKS NOTHING to damage, spot, or contest caps (indirectly by bullying DD out of and away from caps).  Making the CV planes killed worth points would at least encourage the wise choice of low AA targets to ensure planes aren't thrown away.

3) Put in some method to dodge attacks from CV planes.  An arming time on torpedoes and bombs would go a long way.  It's one thing to be concerned about rockets, but a decent CV player can strike a maneuvering DD with all of their attacks for full damage.

There's lots that could be done to balance the class.  WG won't.  I'm really curious how WG will treat subs when they start trying to sink CV.  THEN, WG will have TWO classes that MOST players don't want to play AND don't want to play against that they'll have competing for "comfortable" tuning based on the spreadsheet.  I don't expect subs to be a hard counter to CV, based on the inability to recharge stealth resource and the fact that being detected reduces the resource, but it would be great if they were.

[KAG]
Members
211 posts
11,982 battles
On 4/21/2021 at 9:56 PM, Mercsn said:

or reduced speed (torpedoes).

Destroyers already equal or exceed the speed to torpedos....and you want them slower?

Exception IJN - which its your fault if they hit since they have twice the arming distance of the other nations
Exception German - dodging "tickle torps" is the price you pay for not having to dodge rockets

Edited by Digital_Wind

[WOLF1]
Members
1,151 posts
2,228 battles
9 hours ago, Mercsn said:

You have to realize that the DD MUST go to safe hard cover or die when the CV goes after them. 

The DD can smoke in the cap and then I as a CV player cannot do anything. Setting up a fighter over the cap is going to give ribbons to the DD. Torping/bombing the smoke is a waste of time, time extremely precious to a DOT ship. Therefore the DD can safely contest the cap, only facing torps, hydro,. Or radar.

It's the CV spotting the DD, with impunity and allowing everyone else on that team with a line of fire, a free shot. 

Many times I hover over DDs (being unable to hit them due to islands) and NO ONE shoots them. I lose planes, Dpm, with no return in terms of damage or spotting damage.

One of the biggest problems with CV is that the player RISKS NOTHING to damage, spot, or contest caps (indirectly by bullying DD out of and away from caps).  

CVs players risk being deplaned, even if it has a factory on board. Losing around 3-4 planes per 2 min strike and only having 2 planes being brought onto the deck to replenish this loss is a negative loss of planes overall. Launching reduced strikes also reduces the chance of successfully getting to the target through flak (less plane hp) and so 2 min of flying. = no damage

CV spotting by planes often CAN'T be avoided because they travel MUCH faster than a ship

Again, smoke, islands, being near ships with good aa capably makes CV players avoid/unable to have spotting those areas

An arming time on torpedoes and bombs would go a long way. 

1. There is already an arming distance, and therefore an arming time, on torpedos. 

2. How are you doing to dodge an unarmed bomb landing on your deck? Have the crew toss it overboard? I doubt they will be able to lift and toss over 500/1000/2000 pound bombs in the 1,5,10,15, or 20 second arming time of fuses on those bombs

but a decent CV player can strike a maneuvering DD with all of their attacks for full damage.

Even if a competent  player lines up on a angled DD, only a small portion of the rocket spread will hit as the DD presents a smaller profile. Therefore, players seek to get on a DD’s broadside for maximum rocket damage

Anyone defending CV design as balanced needs to get "comfortable" and "recheck the spreadsheet".

Therefore, anyone whining about how CVs are completely unbalanced also needs to be reasonable in their claims

[WOLF1]
Members
1,151 posts
2,228 battles

Most DD don't have the AA to defend, or even charge a tax, on the CV player for just spotting them. 

Yes they do. Hovering over a DD, although not similar to hovering a BB or cruiser, will cause planes to be lost, although not if you are just striking. Besides, once the CV leaves the minimum detection range, a DD who wisely turns off their aa can immediately go dark

[DREAD]
Members
59 posts
1,065 battles

Most of these arguments are paper arguments that have no practical basis in actual gameplay:

1 hour ago, Boomer625 said:

The DD can smoke in the cap and then I as a CV player cannot do anything. Setting up a fighter over the cap is going to give ribbons to the DD. Torping/bombing the smoke is a waste of time, time extremely precious to a DOT ship. Therefore the DD can safely contest the cap, only facing torps, hydro,. Or radar.

Many times I hover over DDs (being unable to hit them due to islands) and NO ONE shoots them. I lose planes, Dpm, with no return in terms of damage or spotting damage.

CVs players risk being deplaned, even if it has a factory on board. Losing around 3-4 planes per 2 min strike and only having 2 planes being brought onto the deck to replenish this loss is a negative loss of planes overall. Launching reduced strikes also reduces the chance of successfully getting to the target through flak (less plane hp) and so 2 min of flying. = no damage

Again, smoke, islands, being near ships with good aa capably makes CV players avoid/unable to have spotting those areas

1. There is already an arming distance, and therefore an arming time, on torpedos. 

2. How are you doing to dodge an unarmed bomb landing on your deck? Have the crew toss it overboard? I doubt they will be able to lift and toss over 500/1000/2000 pound bombs in the 1,5,10,15, or 20 second arming time of fuses on those bombs

Even if a competent  player lines up on a angled DD, only a small portion of the rocket spread will hit as the DD presents a smaller profile. Therefore, players seek to get on a DD’s broadside for maximum rocket damage

Therefore, anyone whining about how CVs are completely unbalanced also needs to be reasonable in their claims

A DD smoked in a cap tells you exactly where he is.  The smart CV player will make a few torpedo passes over the smoke from different angles and cover most of the smoke and potential escapes from the first drop. Wasting time?  Resetting a cap or preventing a capture is never wasted time.  You're doing it wrong.

If you see that a DD is behind cover where your teammates have no line of fire on him or he's out of gun range of most of them, then of course nobody is going to shoot at that DD.  Move to spot a DD that is actually participating in the battle already.  Again, you're doing it wrong.

CV's risk being de-planed.  This mainly happens when you throw your planes away against clumped up enemies or enemies with actually decent AA (rare).  Again, you're doing it wrong.

Re, "smoke, islands, ships with strong AA nearby": 

A CV can attack in smoke, just like every other ship.  Smoke makes the enemy invisible, not invincible.

If a DD is near an island, he's only got ONE side covered, the planes are much faster and much more maneuverable and can simply fly to the exposed side of the DD AND planes can fly over islands, unlike ships, they don't even need to go around which means they cover even more ground even faster when trying to position for an attack.  Again, you're doing it wrong if you're trying to attack through the island instead of going over or circling around for an attack.

Ships with strong AA are rarely nearby a DD because those ships are usually squishy and being caught out in the open (where a DD normally relies on its low detectability to remain safe) is a death sentence.  If a cruiser with strong AA moves up with a DD, the cruiser won't be alive very long and therefore this point is moot because that strong AA won't be there once that ship is sunk.  If the DD chooses to hang near battleships, the DD isn't contesting caps or spotting which means the DD is effectively neutralized even if it's not killed.  This is a completely paper argument with no basis in real gameplay.  This goes along with the de-planing situation: you're doing it wrong.  If the DD is near the BBs, you don't need to target him, he's already been neutralized.  If there's a cruiser with the DD, the cruiser will be dead in short order thereby removing the AA from the DD's proximity.  It's your fault if you leave your planes over them after being spotted.  Either way, the DD will soon be vulnerable and forced to retreat (see the above bit about being neutralized without being killed) or will be vulnerable to the CV.

IF there is an arming time on torpedoes, I've not seen it.  There is a drop aiming time.  That's a completely different concept. 

How to increase dodge of a bomb drop?  Gameplay mechanics. WG has different dispersion values for different guns at different ranges and versus different targets.  This can be applied to the bombers, the DD or both to make it actually harder for a CV to bomb a maneuvering DD (as would be reasonable).

Re, "only a small portion of rockets hit an angled DD".  This is another paper argument.  If the DD is stationary and you attack from a bad angle, sure.  If the DD maneuvers to give a poor shot for the CV's rocket planes, the CV player can...wait for it...maneuver his planes for a better shot. Remember, the planes are MUCH faster and more maneuverable than the DD.  If you're losing rocket shot to a bad angle, it's because you didn't fly around to get a good angle:  again, you're doing it wrong.

My claims are completely reasonable.  All your arguments about how CV are not un-balanced or overly strong are either paper arguments that have no basis in actual gameplay or you are doing something very wrong and your lack of expertise with the class does not mean the class is balanced.

[WOLF1]
Members
1,151 posts
2,228 battles
3 hours ago, Mercsn said:

The smart CV player will make a few torpedo passes over the smoke from different angles and cover most of the smoke and potential escapes from the first drop. Wasting time?  Resetting a cap or preventing a capture is never wasted time.  You're doing it wrong.

Only carriers with 4-6 torpedoes per drop can cover an entire smoke screen and push a DD out. Competent DDs players spread out their smoke over maximum area, especially USN DDs. CVs with only two to three torpedoes per drop is not doing to do much in pushing a DD out, and it costs them heavily.

DD is behind cover where your teammates have no line of fire on him or he's out of gun range of most of them, then of course nobody is going to shoot at that DD.  Move to spot a DD that is actually participating in the battle already.  Again, you're doing it wrong.

Most of the time the DD is between two islands in the cap, well within line of sight of teammate guns and defiantly participating in the battle. Them not shooting such a target is entirely not in my control.

This mainly happens when you throw your planes away against clumped up enemies or enemies with actually decent AA (rare).  Again, you're doing it wrong.

It is sometimes necessary to do so in order to stop pushes. Going after lone targets all the time only allows you to farm damage, but not win the game.

If a DD is near an island, he's only got ONE side covered, the planes are much faster and much more maneuverable and can simply fly to the exposed side of the DD AND planes can fly over islands, unlike ships, they don't even need to go around which means they cover even more ground even faster when trying to position for an attack.  Again, you're doing it wrong if you're trying to attack through the island instead of going over or circling around for an attack.

Even circling around and island and dropping requires multiple passes, and half of those passes are moving to the correct side of the island to drop. It seems to be only viable especially on FDR, a bit less Midway.

If a cruiser with strong AA moves up with a DD, the cruiser won't be alive very long and therefore this point is moot because that strong AA won't be there once that ship is sunk. 

This is true for smokeless cruisers, but  smoke cruisers are able to do so. some DDs, especially swedish ones, have exceptionally good aa by themselves as well.

If the DD chooses to hang near battleships, the DD isn't contesting caps or spotting which means the DD is effectively neutralized even if it's not killed.  This is a completely paper argument with no basis in real gameplay.

DDs have proven to be very powerful in the late game. It is always best to target them. DDs operating near BBs can be effective as well, especially open water gunboats such as French DDs. Therefore, it is not a paper argument.

It's your fault if you leave your planes over them after being spotted.  Either way, the DD will soon be vulnerable and forced to retreat (see the above bit about being neutralized without being killed) or will be vulnerable to the CV.

Leaving planes over a DD is needed to spot it, as extending out to attack it again will only allow the DD to go dark.

IF there is an arming time on torpedoes, I've not seen it.  There is a drop aiming time.  That's a completely different concept.

There is both a dropping aiming time and a torpedo arming time/distance. In the newly image, the green section is when the torpedo will arm, and the most bottom thin green line is when the torpedo drops into the water. If  the torpedo hits between this line and the green zone, the torpedo will not arm. This is common knowledge to both CV players and DD players.

This is another paper argument.  If the DD is stationary and you attack from a bad angle, sure.  If the DD maneuvers to give a poor shot for the CV's rocket planes, the CV player can...wait for it...maneuver his planes for a better shot. 

The time it takes for the planes to extend out, turn around, and then get another shot, the DD will go dark and be able to maneuver into the attack, again creating another bad angle. Sure the planes have speed, but the around 4 km attack run length allows the DD to maneuver into another bad angle. The CV player does not know if the DD has maneuvered until we’ll within the attack run when the DD is finally spotted 2-3 km out

My claims are completely reasonable.  All your arguments about how CV are not un-balanced or overly strong are either paper arguments that have no basis in actual gameplay or you are doing something very wrong and your lack of expertise with the class does not mean the class is balanced.

I admit that I am not the top CV player, but having almost 300 battles in CVs  and 255 battles in DDs playing against a CV tells me something about CV-DD interactions. That’s about 40% of my total battles playing both classes

If you do not like my arguments, then simply continue to believe what you want. These are my views and perspectives, but having a player base stigmatizing CV players is not acceptable

Edited by Boomer625