You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Slimeball91

Spawn camping, yea or nay?

12 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
7,464 posts

As per the title, do you think spawn camping is fine, or is it poor sportsmanship?  I'm referring to operation of course.  What do you guys think? 

Spoiler

Personally, I think it's gaming the system too much.  I don't think there is anything wrong with knowing the op and playing wisely with that knowledge.  Camping right at the spawn and torping the ships as they spawn is taking it too far in my opinion. 

(I know someone will say its war, so all is fair.  This is a game, not war.  As a game shouldn't there be some element of sportsmanship?)

Edited by Slimeball91

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,066 posts
22,298 battles

If it's people, no. If it's bots it's fair game.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,233 posts
4,348 battles

Perfectly fine IMO. It's not like they're people where you're preventing them from even playing the game. It's just knowing the game well. And with most Ops you're trying to keep a bot target safe, the further out you kill the red bots the better chance you have. And it's only a few that you can actually get to in time to nuke on spawn in. So for me it's just a good way to play the game.

Members
1,121 posts

sure its fine sometimes you get the bonus spawn and dont have to move ...maybe try 1/4 speed just to get you moving a little for a turn you want to make .....cant speak about operations but random and ranked its fine ....

[PVE]
Members
7,464 posts

I can't say I'm surprised by response so far.   You're right it's not people that are being sunk at the spawn.  It is people being "cheated" out of better experience (as in engaging gameplay, XP and other rewards too).  Also, you're cheating yourself out of a better experience by gaming the system.  I'd prefer to earn the damage, and I don't like the idea of taking a fun gaming experience from others by killing all the ships and they get no chance.  I see it as unsportsmanlike.

20 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

So for me it's just a good way to play the game.

Ops can easily be 5 star'ed with no one spawn camping. 

Edited by Slimeball91
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,805 posts
25,095 battles
5 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

I can't say I'm surprised by response so far.   You're right it's not people that are being sunk at the spawn.  It is people being "cheated" out of better experience (as in engaging gameplay, XP and other rewords too).  Also, you're cheating yourself out of a better experience by gaming the system.  I'd prefer to earn the damage, and I don't like the idea of taking a fun gaming experience from others by killing all the ship and they get no chance.  I see it as unsportsmanlike.

Ops can easily be 5 star'ed with no one spawn camping. 

I'm confused...are you just talking about the ships that spawn in at the start of an operation (is it just 1 of the operations you're talking about? Not at computer so can't check the op of the week for reference)...

Because most ops I recall have you do a lot of moving & bot ships spawn in from all sorts of different directions so there's no way somebody can spawn camp them all w/out there being something for others to shoot at.

Sorry if I'm being obtuse about something obvious.

[CUDA]
Members
565 posts
9,177 battles

In the Whale op I've seen people numerous times head to the NW corner of the map to intercept the ships entering the game. That is spawn camping. I've seen it with ships getting to the SE corner at the end of Narai but that's really a race.

[PVE]
Members
7,464 posts
4 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

I'm confused...are you just talking about the ships that spawn in at the start of an operation

As Swerven said, Killer Whale, this week's op, you can spawn camp the bots.  In the second half of that op its possible to camp at the spawns in the NW, and mid East side of the map. 

Yesterday I had a try hard div in one of my KW games, two Leanders and an Izmail.  The two Leanders spawn camped.  I was in a CV so I could fly out to any ships the campers didn't get to, but the rest of the team really didn't have anything to shoot at for the second half of the game.  I did okay, but the reset of the team, aside from the two campers, did poorly for XP (and it probably wasn't much fun either).

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,476 posts
10,975 battles

North spawn camping is only good if you have the right ship for it and is the only one doing it.

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
505 posts
21,724 battles

After my first KW game this rotation,  more of this is needed.  :o

Killer Whale, all 6 ships decided to stay inside harbour.    Called out evac with 7:30mins remaining.  Managed to convince one to start moving(BB), but this one ship didn't make the attempt till it was 5mins left....  Might've made it if he wasnt sunk. (it could take a BB, anywhere from 3-5mins to get out, starting from the mouth of the harbour)

At this point,  4 players left and had to convince them to get sunk by the bots.  Soooo.. counter-intuitive even though it is a listed onscreen objective.  I wont blame people for this one.

1 player died from fighting,   called out 2:30 left that if everyone else doesn't purposely sink, mission fails.  And looked like 2 of them, finally did so.

So it was just me in evac,   and a BB still deep in the harbour with 35secs left.   50% Operational ships in EVAC....  A victory pulled out from the jaws of defeat.

AND NOW BACK ON TOPIC:

@Slimeball91  I think it is fine, speaking specifically to Operations.  It is usually undertaken by someone who usually has higher skill or knowledge.  And they should be allowed to make use of their experience, ability.

If there is a real issue to a balance of a scenario,  you can see that WG has implemented measures in other OPs where they believe players can exploit the map.

("DISCLAIMER",  I don't think WG has ever stated details like this,  but you can sorta logically conclude what the intent/purpose of certain spawns, elements in a map.)

(you need to be familiar with these OPs to understand the context of what is done)

Cherry Blossom:  You can't cheese the objectives by rushing to the airfields and destroying them early.  This is a T8 restricted nation cruiser scenario,  and the critical objective at the start is sailing EAST, as fast as possible!!!  The airfields are located NW corner and guarded by 3x Zaos at the start.  They eventually sail off map, Centre-Top, which allows players to go after the airfield objective in the latter half of the operation with the final objectives.

(there was just one time, I've ever seen anyone try it.  2 cruisers went out there and got laughably nuked out of existence..  I think generally people don't think to do it or know that the Zaos exist,  because that first objective is so time critical and everyone usually rushes to the east.)

Aegis:  Extra battleship spawns, can occur to prevent spawn camping  - This is generally well known by veterans of scenarios.  This is a very rare occurrence for me and hasn't happened in a long time.  So I personally don't know how many spawn, or the exact tiers(HIGH is all I know).

Lightninger's old posts,  still relevant information in there. 

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/184324-scenario-analysis-aegis-version-2/

If there is a problem with a scenario,  all players would expect the proper work/updates and care be taken to remedy this.  That is all I can really say.  

[SGSS]
Members
6,267 posts
On 4/21/2021 at 10:46 PM, Slimeball91 said:

As per the title, do you think spawn camping is fine, or is it poor sportsmanship?  I'm referring to operation of course.  What do you guys think? 

Hide contents

Personally, I think it's gaming the system too much.  I don't think there is anything wrong with knowing the op and playing wisely with that knowledge.  Camping right at the spawn and torping the ships as they spawn is taking it too far in my opinion. 

(I know someone will say its war, so all is fair.  This is a game, not war.  As a game shouldn't there be some element of sportsmanship?)

Vermont has range for the whole map it does not have to move