Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

WG Ship Hull Designs That Defy The Laws Of Buoyancy

6 comments in this topic

[UNHLY]
Members
3,427 posts
26,188 battles

Every time new ships come out there will be discussions about a variety of things about them, just recently there have been posts about the new USN ship Constellation and of course the topic gets onto hull design and how some ships can seem to be able stay afloat despite the fact there hulls are so low in the water.

During the course of the thread a long time forum member commented on LESTA's  favourite LOVECHILD  non other than "The Petro " and how this ship could even leave port with out sinking.

There there is The Hood and her stern also there was some comments earlier back in time when the German BB's  came out, people were saying that there modernisation / WWII refit would have them sinking due to the wait of the superstructure on the hull or some such.

Anyway while playing my Fushun amongst other ships  over time I noticed this .

shot-21_04.20_16_05.13-0723.thumb.jpg.5c75c43fe2a2106f515bd5c719e6a7e9.jpg     

shot-21_04.20_16_05.39-0826.thumb.jpg.a6e9937c24beb44a767a98bc945c735a.jpg

It sits awfully low in the water by the stern , let me say i am no expert on ship design but maybe in calm waters it might be fine but in rough weather and seas wouldn't this ships sink stern first given how low she is by the stern ?.

I might ad i got these shots while in battle so I hit the save button quick enough because some moments the sea was washing over her stern and this is just simulated but its was a real ship.

Edited by tm63au

[VIGIL]
Members
394 posts

I ran aground in my Flint probably 3 or 4 times one game, and then proceeded to practice lighting robot ships on fire.  I'm pretty glad my buoyancy wasn't true to life. :cap_like:

Edited by Dudefella
Punctuation cleanup.
  • Cool 1

[COMRD]
Members
325 posts
5,491 battles

Ya, Hood was a good example. Her after deck was awash in a moderate sea after her refit.

[ARGSY]
Members
25,145 posts
19,146 battles
27 minutes ago, tm63au said:

It sits awfully low in the water by the stern

What you're seeing from the stern-on shot is wake and propeller effect. In the end, what matters is not how low the ship is in the water (although she'll be very wet and uncomfortable in rough seas) but how buoyant she is and what her righting moment (restoring force) is when she heels over (which is determined partially by her beam and partially where her centres of buoyancy and gravity are in relation to each other, aka metacentric height). Hood, for example, had a constantly wet quarterdeck all her life.

If Petropavlovsk spends all her operational life in an inland sea (which pretty much includes the Mediterranean), she'll be okay; if she tries to go out into the Atlantic, she's going to have serious issues.

I know I've said this a dozen times, but I'm going to say it again: If WOWS modelled sea states, Vanguard would be the most OP ship in the game in any adverse weather event.

• Cool 1

[VIGIL]
Members
394 posts

I kind of wish there were some maps with really rough seas that created additional aiming and navigational challenges.

• Cool 1

[UNHLY]
Members
3,427 posts
26,188 battles
17 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

What you're seeing from the stern-on shot is wake and propeller effect. In the end, what matters is not how low the ship is in the water (although she'll be very wet and uncomfortable in rough seas) but how buoyant she is and what her righting moment (restoring force) is when she heels over (which is determined partially by her beam and partially where her centres of buoyancy and gravity are in relation to each other, aka metacentric height). Hood, for example, had a constantly wet quarterdeck all her life.

If Petropavlovsk spends all her operational life in an inland sea (which pretty much includes the Mediterranean), she'll be okay; if she tries to go out into the Atlantic, she's going to have serious issues.

I know I've said this a dozen times, but I'm going to say it again: If WOWS modelled sea states, Vanguard would be the most OP ship in the game in any adverse weather event.

Interesting to know.

cheers 

Sign in to follow this