You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DevilD0g

New Ship Uss Laffey - Allen M. Sumner class

11 comments in this topic

[RAN]
Members
984 posts
11,592 battles

The Allen M. Sumner class is a US Destroyer that we should be implementing in the game at tier 9 or 10, its a Gearing class variant.

It has good AA and can be used as a US AA destroyer.

In May 2018, it was announced that Gibson would be directing a WWII film titled Destroyer.  Destroyer, similar to Hacksaw Ridge, will also deal with the Battle of Okinawa in the Pacific Theater, although from a different front. It will be based on the heroic story of the crew belonging to USS Laffey (DD-724), who defended their ship from 22 kamikaze attacks.

There may be a possibility for a voice actor if the movie goes ahead.

USS Laffey is currently a museum ship at Patriots Point in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, alongside two other US National Historic Landmarks: the aircraft carrier USS Yorktown and Submarine USS Clamagore.  This should be good for any future wargamming promos and also ship visits by staff.

• Cool 5

[SYN]
Members
16,027 posts
12,803 battles
54 minutes ago, Wanturskul said:

We have one.  It's the Yue Yang.  Different than Gearing

great!

WG can just copy paste it then

Members
370 posts
5,045 battles

Wait, a historical warship that actually existed?  Nope, sorry.  It seems too difficult to add to the game.

Wargaming would prefer implementing ships the proper way.  By implementing heavily altered versions of ship designs that came from a scribble on the back of a used napkin.....

[NUWES]
Members
3,848 posts
15,807 battles
14 hours ago, Wanturskul said:

Different than Gearing

Correct. It is different from Gearing but not very. The Gearing class was basically  the same as Allen M Sumner but with a hull stretched by 14' to improve seakeeping and range. They aren't the same ship but they are very close. You are right though, Yue Yang is a Sumner and it is already in the game. It's the former USS Haynsworth. 

[CZS]
Members
258 posts
5,032 battles

Why do all the yueyang fanboys come out whenever someone brings up Allen M Sumner?

I recall there was a similar thread last month and all people were saying was "buuuuuut we already have yuuuu yaaaaang....."

[BONKY]
Members
2,284 posts
26,818 battles

Make it T10 with a little more DPM than Gearing (2.8sec reload vs. 3), give it unlimited charges of a DFAA that actually works (200-250% continuous DPS buff, plus the base AA gets extra DPS over Gearing) but give it standard smoke, Benham torps, and since she's called "The Ship that Would not Die" give her a heal akin to Kidd's.

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,799 posts
20,735 battles
21 hours ago, DevilD0g said:

USS Laffey is currently a museum ship at Patriots Point in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, alongside two other US National Historic Landmarks: the aircraft carrier USS Yorktown and Submarine USS Clamagore.  

soon to just be Laffey and Yorktown.

Clamagore is apparently about to be scuttled.

[NUWES]
Members
3,848 posts
15,807 battles
17 hours ago, Tokamak_Raven said:

Why do all the yueyang fanboys come out whenever someone brings up Allen M Sumner?

I recall there was a similar thread last month and all people were saying was "buuuuuut we already have yuuuu yaaaaang....."

I don't think anyone is a fanboy of Yue Yang. I think they are just pointing out that the Allen M. Sumner class already has a representative in the game. If they wanted to put USS Laffey or another Sumner in it would be trivially easy to do. 

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,799 posts
20,735 battles
17 hours ago, frankfletcher_1 said:

unfair.png.5c12f77015a6616be0ccc79aee8bafdc.png

oh you'll get no argument from me.

I've been quite disappointed over the years at  various ships being lost to the scrapper or scuttling.

This one is the last of its type (GUPPY) and is even a Historic Landmark.

But her hull is in very sorry condition. She needs money for drydocking, or to be pulled out of the water and displayed on land.