You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Filthy5anchez

Moving Captains around?

15 comments in this topic

[DDCO]
Members
14 posts
14,069 battles

Maybe I missed something in the fine print or just glanced over it without comprehending but a few days ago I got the Cristforo Columbo and I moved over my Sansonetti from my Venezia and paid the 500 Doubloons to train him. Today I tried to recall him to my Venezia from the CC and for some reason I now have to pay another 500 Doubloons to train him for the Venezia even though he was already trained for the ship earlier this week. Is there a rule saying a captain can be only trained for 1 tech-tree ship at a time, like I said earlier did I miss that memo? If there is that is one sketchy business practice when one of the stated "good" things about the Captain rework was using 1 captain on multiple ships. Kind of defeats that when you have to re-train the captain moving him around different tech-tree ships.

• Haha 1

[DDCO]
Members
14 posts
14,069 battles

I like how you stated the obvious, Like I said my Captain was on the Venezia was trained for that ship, I moved him to the CC and paid the 500 doubloons when I tried to move him back to the ship(Venezia) he was already trained for they are trying to charge me again that is some terrible business ethics.

• Haha 1

Banned
1,684 posts

Ok the CC is a premium ship?

If so why did you pay to train him there?

The Ven is a tech tree ship if all you wanted to do is swap between the two. there would be zero charge, if the CC is a premium ship.

All you need to do is recall commander to his assigned ship but it seems you assigned him to the CC.

Edited by Nikolay_Kuznetsov_

[Y0L0W]
Members
518 posts
10,144 battles
2 minutes ago, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

Ok the CC is a premium ship?

If so why did you pay to train him there?

The Ven is a tech tree ship if all you wanted to do is swap between the two. there would be zero charge, if the CC is a premium ship.

All you need to do is recall commander to his assigned ship but it seems you assigned him to the CC.

CC is no longer a premium ship.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,863 posts

Actually its by design.

I myself when I get a ship, I find a commander for it. THAT commander usually has a minimum of 10 skill points for say a DD enough to get concealment and then slowly gain points over years of gaming here in Wows as some went from 10 to 19. Just by grinding. But they all for the most part STAY with their ship always. Costs nothing once trained to that ship, tree or premium. More than likely 5 years from today they will still be with the same ship having gained maybe two or three more points.

Last year enter Halsey, my first special commander. OO now I have to put him into a good ship for clan battle or perhaps for ranked old or competition etc. Not just any ship. Then I had a few new 19's maxed out. They needed other good ships to be moved to. That means the old commander got to sit in reserve.

Enter 10.0 commander rework. ALL of the skills poof to zero. ALL of the retraining etc from that point costs coins. More of it. ALL of the earned Commander XP stopped until you got 21's To get 21's you can pay money to convert say 200 US dollars for 1.6 million points to go from 19 straight to 21. THEN you find that the 21 maxed out might have one less skill overall than the 19 did.

Not all ships got the same skills anymore. So some like Cruisers became fish food to be abused and harvested by BB's DD's were slaughtered by CV air all the time. And so on./

All of the commanders were sent to reserve while I write down on paper how many 19's of what nations, how many 18's on down. I find that I dont have enough reserve spots for all the commanders and learn I need to pay 100 coin to get 4 reserve slots. I now needed 70 reserve slots. 30 dollars later I had more than that. Another 70 dollars later I have almost twice the slots to existing commanders ready to go. So that solves another problem.

A few commanders needed to be retrained to their new ships. So thats another 400 dollars spent in coin. Fianlly after three weeks all of the ships (about 65 then, almost 80 now) have a commander and are assigned to specific parts of he game. Such as Georgia with Halsey in it for ranked and clan battles.

Go find out that Georgia is banned from Clan Battles. Too OP. See a DD, switch rounds in 5 seconds to HE and delete DD. Reload and back to plinking cruisers.

Wows want diversity they said. Well sorry, the player base decided that only a few ships worth using in battles that matter. enter the mogodar, musashi, missouries, enterprises and georgias, ESPCIALLY thunderers which benefited from the 10.0 deadeye add on. Boy did someone not think it through in WG. What a mess.

Pay more pay more pay more Just for your commanders and ships and so on. Pay pay pay. ESPEICALLY the new 21's It will cost me today 2000.00 USD to get 7 commanders to 21. And I need all of them now. Is it with 2000 dollars? Not worth it. I will have my first three 21's by winter this year. simply by grinding them from 19. (I have 5 20's now)

Grind grind grind. Whale the rest of it. ergo more money for WG.

The problem is this. When they did 10.0 and on to today, its a attempt to extract more money from a player base that has learned not to spend anything.

Boy someone did the rework so well that now no one cannot be bothered to spend a dime without raising hell. 10.00 for a commander retrain? oh the horror. The abuse etc.

What will happen right quick is players go to another game entirely. This one will wither and die in due time.

• Boring 1

Banned
1,684 posts
8 minutes ago, SirPent13 said:

CC is no longer a premium ship.

Ok then good to know. Then his problem was he wanted to assign a commander to two different Tech tree ships and that is not allowed simple as that

[Y0L0W]
Members
518 posts
10,144 battles
10 hours ago, Filthy5anchez said:

Is there a rule saying a captain can be only trained for 1 tech-tree ship at a time, like I said earlier did I miss that memo?

Yes, there is.
When you retrain a commander for another TECH TREE ship, it loses any specialization it had for a previous tech tree ship. Since Columbo is no longer in early access and is now fully in the tech tree, when you moved your commander from Venezia to Columbo and paid to reset, you got rid of the Venezia specialization.

10 hours ago, Filthy5anchez said:

If there is that is one sketchy business practice when one of the stated "good" things about the Captain rework was using 1 captain on multiple ships. Kind of defeats that when you have to re-train the captain moving him around different tech-tree ships.

It's not sketchy, it has always been this way regarding tech trees and premiums. What the captain rework did was let you have specific builds for individual classes as opposed to one build for every class. 

For instance, if I built Halsey as a US BB commander, he was essentially useless as a DD or CV commander and was meh as a cruiser captain. Now, I can have specific builds for each class. Right now I have Halsey trained on Des Moines, but I have my BB build built for Massa/Georgia, the DD build specced for Benham, and the CV build specced for Saipan.

TLDR you misread information somewhere. Hope my explanation helps clear things up

Edited by SirPent13
  • Thanks 1

[PVE]
Members
8,795 posts
25,076 battles
1 hour ago, Filthy5anchez said:

Maybe I missed something in the fine print or just glanced over it without comprehending but a few days ago I got the Cristforo Columbo and I moved over my Sansonetti from my Venezia and paid the 500 Doubloons to train him. (Having to pay that 500 Doubloons should have been enough of a hint that things were not as you suspected) Today I tried to recall him to my Venezia from the CC and for some reason I now have to pay another 500 Doubloons to train him for the Venezia even though he was already trained for the ship earlier this week. Is there a rule saying a captain can be only trained for 1 tech-tree ship at a time, Yes...always has been) like I said earlier did I miss that memo? If there is that is one sketchy business practice when one of the stated "good" things about the Captain rework was using 1 captain on multiple ships. Kind of defeats that when you have to re-train the captain moving him around different tech-tree ships.

If you have all of the ARP ships you would understand the value of that (although I have them all & don't run them...but this exampke is used by some to farm CXP)...

Before if you had the IJN Yamamoto commander assigned to a tech tree DD...you could move him to any of the ARP ships w/out needing to retrain him...but you would either need to run them with not very good skills (DD skills on all of those BBs & cruisers) or you would need to pay to respec the skills to more appropriate skills for those ships & then need to respec his skills back to the DD skills to have the same build you used to on the DD or need to run the DD w/the not ideal skills after respeccing him for the ARP ships.

Now you can keep the DD skills & set a different set of skills for all of those Myoko clones...plus that Atago & any other IJN cruisersif you have any...& set a different set of skills for all of those Kongo clones...plus the Musashi & the Kii & any other IJN BBs if you have them...& set a different set of skills for any premium IJN CVs (if there is any...I don't know about that) if you have any of them...

& still keep your original DD skills to use when you move it back to the DD...w/out having to pay to set any of those other skills at all...

1 commander...massive potential premium ships you can farm 1st win bonuses off of to build up commander XP.

You can do the same with any of the other special commanders & eliminate a bunch of non special commanders from your inventory that are no longer needed that were specifically specced for different premium ships base on the stats matching only 1 tech tree ship per commander...now 1 tech tree ship commander can run multiple premium ships on the same commander w/out the need for extra commanders for each ship type to be able to run a viable builds w/out needing to respec.

That is what was meant by being able to use 1 commander on multiple ships...but the need to have each commander only specced to 1 tech tree ship at a time has not been changed by that.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
25,092 posts
19,133 battles
6 hours ago, Filthy5anchez said:

Is there a rule saying a captain can be only trained for 1 tech-tree ship at a time, like I said earlier did I miss that memo?

Yes. This has always been the case.

6 hours ago, Filthy5anchez said:

one of the stated "good" things about the Captain rework was using 1 captain on multiple ships. Kind of defeats that when you have to re-train the captain moving him around different tech-tree ships.

The benefit is for those who own premium ships, and who can now use a premium destroyer (for instance) to retrain their battleship, cruiser and carrier captains without compromising on the build.

Given the number of premiums which have been and currently are available without spending money, "shady business practices" have nothing to do with it. Every tech tree nation in the game now has at least one no-pay premium ship at one tier or another, although I think it would be better for Germany and Italy to have one at mid-tier and Japan to have a mid-tier premium that doesn't require high-tier ships to obtain (looking at you, Shinonome).

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
34,338 posts
10,584 battles
8 hours ago, Filthy5anchez said:

like I said earlier did I miss that memo?

Yes.

8 hours ago, Filthy5anchez said:

If there is that is one sketchy business practice when one of the stated "good" things about the Captain rework was using 1 captain on multiple ships. Kind of defeats that when you have to re-train the captain moving him around different tech-tree ships.

One of the stated "good" things about the captain rework was using one captain on multiple premium ships. You would have been able to switch for free before this latest update, because the RM BBs were treated as premium during early access.

[CNO]
Members
6,737 posts
20,178 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The benefit is for those who own premium ships, and who can now use a premium destroyer (for instance) to retrain their battleship, cruiser and carrier captains without compromising on the build.

Yeah, I've run Halsey on so many ships I can't remember how many. I'd have to sit there and count them.  His tech tree is Worcester.  But, from a premium standpoint, I have Enterprise, AZ, WV, MA, Sims, Mona, Flint, Indy, Tex, Oak, CA, Alaska, yada yada.  One captain (21 point by the way) over ten ships.  Granted, I already have other captains that can run on those...and some are unique enough (compared to generic Halsey) to keep them.  But the new captain multi-skills and premium marry together very nicely. 

[PVE]
Members
8,795 posts
25,076 battles
4 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Yes.

Actually...No...

He didn't "miss that memo"...that memo wasn't in the update notes because there was nothing to make a memo about...same as it ever was...so there was no need to make a memo about it.

[Y0L0W]
Members
518 posts
10,144 battles
14 hours ago, xHeavy said:

Actually its by design.

I myself when I get a ship, I find a commander for it. THAT commander usually has a minimum of 10 skill points for say a DD enough to get concealment and then slowly gain points over years of gaming here in Wows as some went from 10 to 19. Just by grinding. But they all for the most part STAY with their ship always. Costs nothing once trained to that ship, tree or premium. More than likely 5 years from today they will still be with the same ship having gained maybe two or three more points.

Last year enter Halsey, my first special commander. OO now I have to put him into a good ship for clan battle or perhaps for ranked old or competition etc. Not just any ship. Then I had a few new 19's maxed out. They needed other good ships to be moved to. That means the old commander got to sit in reserve.

Enter 10.0 commander rework. ALL of the skills poof to zero. ALL of the retraining etc from that point costs coins. More of it. ALL of the earned Commander XP stopped until you got 21's To get 21's you can pay money to convert say 200 US dollars for 1.6 million points to go from 19 straight to 21. THEN you find that the 21 maxed out might have one less skill overall than the 19 did.

Not all ships got the same skills anymore. So some like Cruisers became fish food to be abused and harvested by BB's DD's were slaughtered by CV air all the time. And so on./

All of the commanders were sent to reserve while I write down on paper how many 19's of what nations, how many 18's on down. I find that I dont have enough reserve spots for all the commanders and learn I need to pay 100 coin to get 4 reserve slots. I now needed 70 reserve slots. 30 dollars later I had more than that. Another 70 dollars later I have almost twice the slots to existing commanders ready to go. So that solves another problem.

A few commanders needed to be retrained to their new ships. So thats another 400 dollars spent in coin. Fianlly after three weeks all of the ships (about 65 then, almost 80 now) have a commander and are assigned to specific parts of he game. Such as Georgia with Halsey in it for ranked and clan battles.

Go find out that Georgia is banned from Clan Battles. Too OP. See a DD, switch rounds in 5 seconds to HE and delete DD. Reload and back to plinking cruisers.

Wows want diversity they said. Well sorry, the player base decided that only a few ships worth using in battles that matter. enter the mogodar, musashi, missouries, enterprises and georgias, ESPCIALLY thunderers which benefited from the 10.0 deadeye add on. Boy did someone not think it through in WG. What a mess.

Pay more pay more pay more Just for your commanders and ships and so on. Pay pay pay. ESPEICALLY the new 21's It will cost me today 2000.00 USD to get 7 commanders to 21. And I need all of them now. Is it with 2000 dollars? Not worth it. I will have my first three 21's by winter this year. simply by grinding them from 19. (I have 5 20's now)

Grind grind grind. Whale the rest of it. ergo more money for WG.

The problem is this. When they did 10.0 and on to today, its a attempt to extract more money from a player base that has learned not to spend anything.

Boy someone did the rework so well that now no one cannot be bothered to spend a dime without raising hell. 10.00 for a commander retrain? oh the horror. The abuse etc.

What will happen right quick is players go to another game entirely. This one will wither and die in due time.

Nothing in this whole comment has anything to do with what the OP asked. Not to mention it's filled with inaccuracies and evidence of poor decisions. 

[A-I-M]
Members
4,084 posts
15,213 battles
15 hours ago, Filthy5anchez said:

There is such a rule, and there is no memo - that’s the way it has been for years; the rework neither imposed nor changed it.

One tech tree ship, many premium ships.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea
Typo