You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Ahab1776

Any chance the Anchorage might get a heal?

19 comments in this topic

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,158 posts
20,036 battles

Was talking to a clan mate about the dockyard boats. I’ve got two, the Odin and the Anchorage. The Odin I like a lot. The Anchorage I have buyers regret. I know the Anchorage I rarely see now that it has been in circulation now. The other dockyard boats I see more frequently. My clan mate suggested that the Anchorage needs a heal. I thought, that would possibly make it more attractive to the player base as a whole.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
3,049 posts
27,727 battles

I think that chances are super low. There are quite a few premiums that could benefit from additions or changes that dont get any. Also, I think that it would never get one due to smoke. It has to have a trade off.

[WOLFC]
Members
3,140 posts
11,789 battles

The problem with Anchorage is that her consumable load out has poor synergy with the ship’s other characteristics. Smoke screens on heavy cruisers are difficult to use effectively. Anchorage and London have such large smoke firing penalties relative to their gun range that firing safely from smoke is challenging, and they sacrifice a lot vs their same tier competitors to get access to it. If you want to extend your gun range to make the gimmick more usable, you need to give up your hydro, which is useful because Anchorage is sluggish and smoke screens are torpedo magnets. While giving her a heal would be nice, I don’t think it really addresses this core issue with the ship. IMO, there are a couple things WG could do to make the ship more attractive and less of a schizophrenic mess:

1) Give her the option to slot radar instead of smoke. This will give players the option of adapting a more standard USN cruiser play style, and her twelve guns and torpedoes combined with her lower DPM, poorer concealment, bad AA, and standard AP shells (in contrast to Baltimore) will differentiate her from other tier VIII USN CAs. WG could even go crazy and throw in DFAA in an extra slot on top of this to help with her terrible AA and I don’t think the ship would be too powerful.

2) Increase her gun range and maybe her shell velocity, so she can become a long range (for an American) artillery support cruiser and get more effective use of her smoke screen. This would also synergize well with having to choose between spotter plane and hydro, as you could choose to play the ship at longer range as extra insurance against enemy torpedoes.

• Cool 3

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
10,210 posts
26,329 battles
2 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

The problem with Anchorage is that her consumable load out has poor synergy with the ship’s other characteristics. Smoke screens on heavy cruisers are difficult to use effectively. Anchorage and London have such large smoke firing penalties relative to their gun range that firing safely from smoke is challenging, and they sacrifice a lot vs their same tier competitors to get access to it. If you want to extend your gun range to make the gimmick more usable, you need to give up your hydro, which is useful because Anchorage is sluggish and smoke screens are torpedo magnets. While giving her a heal would be nice, I don’t think it really addresses this core issue with the ship. IMO, there are a couple things WG could do to make the ship more attractive and less of a schizophrenic mess:

1) Give her the option to slot radar instead of smoke. This will give players the option of adapting a more standard USN cruiser play style, and her twelve guns and torpedoes combined with her lower DPM, poorer concealment, bad AA, and standard AP shells (in contrast to Baltimore) will differentiate her from other tier VIII USN CAs. WG could even go crazy and throw in DFAA in an extra slot on top of this to help with her terrible AA and I don’t think the ship would be too powerful.

2) Increase her gun range and maybe her shell velocity, so she can become a long range (for an American) artillery support cruiser and get more effective use of her smoke screen. This would also synergize well with having to choose between spotter plane and hydro, as you could choose to play the ship at longer range as extra insurance against enemy torpedoes.

This would be the smart answer Nevermore. I never understood the lack of choice when setting up a ship. Imagine Exeter if you had a choice between smoke & heal? The same could be said about any ship in the game including Anchorage. You are right, heavy cruisers are challenged by the smoke firing penalty so there should be other things to choose from so players can adapt the ship to their playstyle. For a company that screeches about "ship diversity" they offer very few choices to the player to achieve their goal. So many ships are just one dimensional, only the "radar Minotaur" stands out as an exception. 

[CVLUL]
Members
5,454 posts
12,580 battles
4 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

So many ships are just one dimensional, 

this is why there happens to be many ships.

[USCG]
Members
795 posts
24,434 battles

They gave the Prinz Eugen a heal but took them about three years to figure that one out...

[WOLFC]
Members
3,140 posts
11,789 battles
16 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

For a company that screeches about "ship diversity" they offer very few choices to the player to achieve their goal. So many ships are just one dimensional, only the "radar Minotaur" stands out as an exception. 

I’m not opposed to ships (particularly premiums) having a specific play style or a set of tools that allow the ship to fill a unique niche. The issue with Anchorage is that her tools just don’t work very well together.

Edited by Nevermore135

[WOLF7]
Members
995 posts
5 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

I’m not opposed to ships (particularly premiums) having a specific play style or a set of tools that allow the ship to fill a unique niche. The issue with Anchorage is that her tools just don’t work very well together.

Anchorage is the perfect co-op boat. I play my Anchorage every day. She's essentially a pre-war 1940/1941 Beefalo with smoke and torps. Lots of fun.

• Boring 1

[WOLF7]
Members
995 posts
8 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

Like I was saying, perfect co-op boat. I stand by my opinion. Some ships "click" with certain people while others don't like that ship or do well with it. Here's today's Anchorage match, I think her tools work great for the task I need her for:

image.thumb.png.42e7257accea399c40f2f1d12f512bd1.png

It's cool if you don't personally like Anchorage. I'm sure there are ships that you do great in that I hate to play. The best aspect of this game is that there is a ship out there for everyone.  Cheers, fellow Lone Wolf!

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[WOLFC]
Members
3,140 posts
11,789 battles
1 hour ago, HamAndCheez said:

It's cool if you don't personally like Anchorage. I'm sure there are ships that you do great in that I hate to play. The best aspect of this game is that there is a ship out there for everyone.  Cheers, fellow Lone Wolf!

Um... ok? :Smile_amazed:
You’re fine to like what you like, I suppose. I guess I’m happy you enjoy her in Coop?

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 1

[GOCRY]
Members
1,004 posts
On 4/21/2021 at 5:00 AM, Pulicat said:

this is why there happens to be many ships.

And there’s the rub.  WG would rather sell you 2 premiums rather than 1 which can be configured in multiple ways.

Even better is to give it a snazzy black paint job and sell it to you again!

Edited by SeaGladius

[WOLFL]
[WOLFL]
Members
1,043 posts
38,411 battles
On 4/21/2021 at 3:47 PM, HamAndCheez said:

Like I was saying, perfect co-op boat. I stand by my opinion. Some ships "click" with certain people while others don't like that ship or do well with it. Here's today's Anchorage match, I think her tools work great for the task I need her for:

image.thumb.png.42e7257accea399c40f2f1d12f512bd1.png

lol CO-OP battle jajajaja, go to rando battle and the players break Anchorage .

Edited by rafael_azuaje
  • Meh 2

[GOCRY]
Members
1,004 posts

He literally started his post by saying it’s a “perfect co-op boat.”  If he wants to play in co-op what’s that to you?  There are ships that do fine in Random, but not so great in Co-op - slow American BBs for instance.  There’s no reason why the opposite can’t be true.

• Thanks 1

[GRETA]
Members
1,498 posts
11,354 battles

I really wanted to like Anchorage but just could not make her work until I followed the advice of a streamer and traded hydro for spotter plane then took the captain skill that shortens the spotter plane duration but increases the number of charges.  I also believe I am running the special improved smoke duration mod.

Those changes make the ship sing and correct what I believe to be it's biggest weakness (the need for someone to spot for you).  Prior to making these changes I was forever pushing up to help with hydro then smoking up to shoot and either the dd would leave and I would be blind or the enemy dd would push close enough to spot me with smoke firing penalty.   The end result was me being spotted and getting shot at, making the need for a heal very apparent.   The change to my build allows for self spotting when necessary as well as the ability to shoot from further away which results in me rarely being the one getting shot at and the need for a heal less relevant. 

In my opinion if you build and play her to her strengths she does not need a heal, if she had one she would be op.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLFL]
[WOLFL]
Members
1,043 posts
38,411 battles
On 4/20/2021 at 8:50 PM, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Was talking to a clan mate about the dockyard boats. I’ve got two, the Odin and the Anchorage. The Odin I like a lot. The Anchorage I have buyers regret. I know the Anchorage I rarely see now that it has been in circulation now. The other dockyard boats I see more frequently. My clan mate suggested that the Anchorage needs a heal. I thought, that would possibly make it more attractive to the player base as a whole.

if it is possible that the Anchorage can have heal! is possible without heal the Anchorage is rubbish

[WOLFL]
[WOLFL]
Members
1,043 posts
38,411 battles
On 5/5/2021 at 10:07 AM, SeaGladius said:

He literally started his post by saying it’s a “perfect co-op boat.”  If he wants to play in co-op what’s that to you?  There are ships that do fine in Random, but not so great in Co-op - slow American BBs for instance.  There’s no reason why the opposite can’t be true.

fence what a scam! spend hundreds of dollars to convert it into thousands of doubloons for a ship that does not work in random battles!

• Boring 1

[GOCRY]
Members
1,004 posts
47 minutes ago, rafael_azuaje said:

fence what a scam! spend hundreds of dollars to convert it into thousands of doubloons for a ship that does not work in random battles!

Well, that’s why I DON’T have an Anchorage.

[WOLFL]
[WOLFL]
Members
1,043 posts
38,411 battles
1 hour ago, SeaGladius said:

Well, that’s why I DON’T have an Anchorage.

Brother I have the Anchorage , is an Buffalo Nerfed Versión with Torpedoes, but I try here post for buffe and add Heal. Buffalo & Anchorage has Same HULL ,  Same main GUNS but Anchorage nerfed reload time ! And Hit Points Too lower. 

• Meh 1

[WOLFL]
[WOLFL]
Members
1,043 posts
38,411 battles
On 5/7/2021 at 2:37 PM, HallaSnackbar said:

I really wanted to like Anchorage but just could not make her work until I followed the advice of a streamer and traded hydro for spotter plane then took the captain skill that shortens the spotter plane duration but increases the number of charges.  I also believe I am running the special improved smoke duration mod.

Those changes make the ship sing and correct what I believe to be it's biggest weakness (the need for someone to spot for you).  Prior to making these changes I was forever pushing up to help with hydro then smoking up to shoot and either the dd would leave and I would be blind or the enemy dd would push close enough to spot me with smoke firing penalty.   The end result was me being spotted and getting shot at, making the need for a heal very apparent.   The change to my build allows for self spotting when necessary as well as the ability to shoot from further away which results in me rarely being the one getting shot at and the need for a heal less relevant. 

In my opinion if you build and play her to her strengths she does not need a heal, if she had one she would be op.

If need Heal bro , you into Smoke when open Fire you do visible to all enemies and boom. Remenber anchorage has nerfed GUNS witn reload fron 15.5secs. Sucks AA, pathetic Hidro with Short Range Detect. He need buffed GUNS and add healt, he is a Methbote . FAR Of be OP.

• Meh 1