Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dave_1974

Lets talk about this openly

19 comments in this topic

Members
15 posts
12,007 battles

Is there any old ( superior ) server clients floating around out there? The game really really needs this.

• Haha 2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,075 posts
22,336 battles

No. Wouldn't be helpful anyways. Even if you could get your hands on an older client, you wouldn't be able to connect to the server anyways.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[WOLFG]
Members
34,370 posts
10,591 battles
42 minutes ago, Dave_1974 said:

Is there any old ( superior ) server clients floating around out there? The game really really needs this.

No. Only WG operates servers for this game, and they all run the latest edition.

Only difference would be China. Their server does what they want. I dunno how easy it would be for you to play on that server though.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,233 posts
4,348 battles

The answer to your literal question is yes, definitely. Plenty of copies of old clients laying around, some people collect them.

What you're really asking though is can you play the game in old versions. The answer to that is no. Game has to be run serverside, WG controls those and they all (at least the public ones) run the current update.

Only possible exception is the CN server, that's a completely different company licensed by WG. They're usually a couple patches behind. But they went to post-rework CVs a while ago, so even there the differences are going to be minor. And I have no idea what's involved in accessing that server. Though I doubt you want to play on it, SEA has a pretty bad reputation and I would guess the CN server is even worse. Also I'm fairly sure that Chinese company is pretty much P2W and are OK with selling all kinds of high tier ships. Probably not the greatest gameplay experience.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,916 posts

In the old days of online gaming (As recently as about 4 years ago) you can run servers with a older version. You will be paying the server rent every month but you can do it. And mobs will fill your server because they can say play Wows version 8.0 where 10 air craft carrier groups can fill the skies above your fleet as it was years ago. And the 10.3 patch version does not exist.

Well, you cannot do that in wows. They run one version the latest.

You could probably establish a server that has a version that is older and does not know that it is required to be updated. And thus you will not be gaining any rewards or whatever from playing such  a older client and server version. Trust me there are whole data centers that make a living renting servers that run older versions of dead newer games that were reworked or patched once too much.

We did this with older gamespy type game clients for years. Gamespy did not exist anymore and so you went to that server's forums and gained the IP address of server and related information, entered it into your game client at home and connected direct and played the older game.

Well, retail game people HATE that. There is no money in it for them if all we did was play version 7 where enterprises roamed the earth filling the skies and everyone was happy. Except the data centers.

Now. In America I think its really difficult to raise up a server to run a older wows game version. But in China? No problem. Getting access to china from here? Erm.. well thats the trick isnt it?

Do you really want to go that route? I consider China a evolving enemy to the USA and our way of life among other things. They consider us a parasite onto the world that they would have implemented with their doctrines. Why would they have us Americans play on their servers and infect their people with a variety of thought crimes? Oh no.

Members
15 posts
12,007 battles

Yah it would be nice to have a 'World of Warships - Classic' I'd jump servers in a heartbeat

[PVE]
Members
7,465 posts
32 minutes ago, Dave_1974 said:

Yah it would be nice to have a 'World of Warships - Classic' I'd jump servers in a heartbeat

I completely agree.  It would be fun if WG could do something like that for an event.

[BONKS]
Members
3,081 posts
52 battles
On 4/21/2021 at 1:15 AM, AJTP89 said:

They're usually a couple patches behind.

Currently on 0.10.2, so only one version behind.

Had a look around just out of curiosity. Apparently the AL collab we previously had and some collab with a web comic is currently running.

If anyone else wants to check it out,
Main site: https://wowsgame.cn/
Premium shop: https://shop.wows.360.cn/
Armory: https://armory.wowsgame.cn/zh-cn

You can just use google translate to navigate. Shouldn't be too difficult.

19 hours ago, xHeavy said:

Getting access to china from here? Erm.. well thats the trick isnt it?

Used to be pretty easy actually. Didn't even require a VPN or anything. No idea how it is now tho under their new publisher.

34 minutes ago, Dave_1974 said:

I concur.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,521 posts
20 hours ago, xHeavy said:

I consider China a evolving enemy to the USA and our way of life

China isn't going to fight America; they need us to buy all of the cheap stuff they build and that we don't want to pay premium prices for to build ourselves. Also, I'm not so sure that many people know just how much China has invested in the US, It would totally bankrupt their economy if the US were to freeze their assets and nationalize their companies here because of a conflict. China currently has 1.5 trillion dollars invested in the US. And before someone says this indicates that China is buying up America, they need to realize that with America's huge economy, everyone who can wants to invest here. The UK, Germany, Japan, France, The Netherlands, and Switzerland also have huge investments in the US.

• Boring 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,916 posts
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

China isn't going to fight America; they need us to buy all of the cheap stuff they build and that we don't want to pay premium prices for to build ourselves. Also, I'm not so sure that many people know just how much China has invested in the US, It would totally bankrupt their economy if the US were to freeze their assets and nationalize their companies here because of a conflict. China currently has 1.5 trillion dollars invested in the US. And before someone says this indicates that China is buying up America, they need to realize that with America's huge economy, everyone who can wants to invest here. The UK, Germany, Japan, France, The Netherlands, and Switzerland also have huge investments in the US.

Well, we are seizing up proper like a big engine without oil of money investments.

There is only so many students that can be cranked out of our indoctrination centers. Aka Colleges.

Some of my buying is from China. However the importers are already shifting production FROM China to Vietnam, Taiwan etc. And the quality of the items that are coming in are pretty good actually. It would serve China right if all Asia learned to make a quality coffee pot for 10.00 that does not burn out in 6 months to sell to America.

The biggest issue with China is food. They are enduring a huge problem in food among their population. We might not have the food this year because the ground is too cold for corn and other seeds. And the dust bowl two is setting up in the SW with no water for Hoover Dam right now. Not for a while. Which means many farms dont farm this year. There is no water. No food to eat.

We ship to China huge amounts of food. They buy it hand over fist, cannot get enough. Until about 7 months from now there is nothing to export. Then we'll see.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[-BCO-]
Members
2,940 posts
5,063 battles
7 hours ago, Dave_1974 said:

Count me in.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,521 posts
3 hours ago, xHeavy said:

We ship to China huge amounts of food.

China has become a net exporter of agricultural products to the tune of about $65 billion dollars equivalent a year. Not to mention that the largest pork producer in the US, Smithfield Foods, is now wholly owned by the W. H. Group, which is headquartered in Hong Kong. China imported $31 billion worth of agricultural goods from the US in 2020 and exported $5 billion dollars worth of food to the US. China, like other countries (including the US), exports what it can easily produce and imports what it can't. We import a lot of foods seasonally too. Why do you think we can buy things like fruit in stores year round? Food imports to the US in 2020 amounted to $130 billion dollars worth.

chinese-exports-agrofood-25-february-202

image.png.cd6bb7b12b1c3c29d9c1691d0b31c24f.png

I was surprised to see the Netherlands on the list as a major exporter of agricultural products to the US. Maybe @Lert can tell me what The Netherlands is exporting that I'm eating over here.

Edited by Snargfargle

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,075 posts
22,336 battles
9 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Maybe @Lert can tell me what The Netherlands is exporting that I'm eating over here.

I honestly wouldn't know. Tried looking it up in the few minutes I have before work today and found this link that might be interesting. Not much in there about food though.

Also this, but it's a slightly older article.

[ARGSY]
Members
25,149 posts
19,146 battles
On 4/20/2021 at 8:45 PM, AJTP89 said:

And I have no idea what's involved in accessing that server.

Farazelleth did it for a while, for as long as they still had RTS carriers. IIRC he had to lean on his reputation and call in some favours.

I'm also led to understand that the China server has ships we don't; ships whose presence in the broader game would raise eyebrows. Ships that make Smolensk look tame and powercrept.

Members
195 posts
10 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

I completely agree.  It would be fun if WG could do something like that for an event.

Wait until the game ages out some more. It will probably happen once the mainstream game drops off to barely break-even and they're flailing around  for new revenue streams.

Lots of the big publishers run "classic" versions of some of their titles in a curated state because hey, a buck's a buck.

[BONKS]
Members
3,081 posts
52 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'm also led to understand that the China server has ships we don't; ships whose presence in the broader game would raise eyebrows. Ships that make Smolensk look tame and powercrept.

There is no such thing. The one ship that was once posted (the Zao with like a dozen Akizuki guns or so) was a joke.

[WOLFG]
Members
34,370 posts
10,591 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

There is no such thing. The one ship that was once posted (the Zao with like a dozen Akizuki guns or so) was a joke.

AFAIK, they can use any assets WG has developed, or modify them economically.

So they could release Kitakami, or sell a ship that makes Missouri earnings look like social assistance lol. 

One big example was the "golden Type 59" in WoT, which was sold for a ridiculous amount of money, and anybody who bought one had a high chance of being TKed.

Edited by Skpstr

Members
654 posts
8,643 battles

You can use old game clients to play old replays.  I have never downloaded a WOWS client to do so, but I have a few older World of Tanks clients for that purpose.  But sadly, that's pretty much it, as others have said.

[BONKS]
Members
3,081 posts
52 battles
36 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

AFAIK, they can use any assets WG has developed, or modify them economically.

Maybe they have the right to, but there are no such modified ships on the CN server. The previous publisher used to sell ships that got removed on global such as Musashi or RTS GZ. I suppose the current publisher does that as well considering Georgia which on global got removed in 0.10.1 is currently on sale in the CN premium shop, but that is as far as it goes.

0yLwjFq.png

You can use the links to the CN premium shop and armory I provided above to check for yourself if you'd like.

Sign in to follow this