You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

So How is Ranked going for you?

76 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
3,664 posts
7,531 battles

Sadly I reached rank 1 bronze yesterday so no more for me. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,521 posts

I'm not that good with CVs, so if end up at the top of my team in one you know it's a poor team. It's not like I'm playing a lot of CVs in Ranked either. I think that's the first time this season. I'm just trying to find a ship I'm good enough in so at least I won't lose stars.

image.png.e22be8f26cd5ba76a6fd0c28515821f0.png

Members
99 posts
6,772 battles

if I am in Ranked, you face half the side you are on to never help if you need. and you have some that just go on one side of the map and do nothing but hide,

[DVYJC]
Members
4,427 posts
11,860 battles

Had a rough day yesterday, lost 3-2 or so, saving stars about half the time. Today I played a little about four hours ago and won about 3-2, quit for a bit, then came back after I was done with work for the day - lost one, then won six in a row to rank out in Silver. Done until the next sprint!

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,784 posts
11,412 battles

I've been topping the score on my team or coming in second in most games in my Vittorio Veneto.  That should tell you everything, since I am not getting big numbers in this ship due to the games being over well before that ship has a chance to shine.

Beta Testers
1,023 posts
15,576 battles

Mines going well!  Don't play it!

This new format is terrible.

[BEA5T]
Members
5,419 posts
25,337 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

This is about how it's going for me.

Ranked>?  What is that?    From what I have heard, you know, it is painful to the point the word is "don't.....'  I'm just a simple Horse Soldier and I just can't see the reason to participate in more than one or two matches a Season as painful as they are......  I do try at least, but..............oy vey, what a toxic and quixotic negative adventure for...........almost no significant rewards??   WHY.......seems to be what my brain is yelling??

You are a far, far braver player than I am.........

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,521 posts
13 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

From what I have heard, you know, it is painful to the point the word is "don't...

Well, I used to play Ranked to get the two-star economy flag and the goodies back when I didn't have much saved up. I'd always stop at rank 10 because I never considered myself good enough to go past that. Now, I hardly use the stuff I have so the goodies are not so much of an issue. I would like to see how far I could get someday though.

[BEA5T]
Members
5,419 posts
25,337 battles
2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Well, I used to play Ranked to get the two-star economy flag and the goodies back when I didn't have much saved up. I'd always stop at rank 10 because I never considered myself good enough to go past that. Now, I hardly use the stuff I have so the goodies are not so much of an issue. I would like to see how far I could get someday though.

Masochist.   You were enlisted !  Did they have to teach you how to be miserable?  No !  That comes naturally to enlisted soldiers ( I was one for 9 years !!!)......and, enlisted soldiers rarely and really don't seek additional misery !  

• Funny 1

[USCG]
Members
799 posts
24,519 battles

Picked up my 18th win yesterday in silver so I maxed out my rewards. Think I’m at level 5 and that’s where I’ll stay until it starts over.

Just in it for the steel and dubs...

[PVE]
Members
8,821 posts
25,144 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

This is about how it's going for me.

image.png.e5bfb19a2754fd92f2dd1033d8055c14.png

image.png.cd46a0af8d68ac1a7aba60c02f5dea96.png

Ranked is decided by the stealthiest DDs playing their ships to their best advantages... don't save stars so often concentrating on spotting but your teams always have targets to shoot at...& if they somehow manage to actually concentrate the DDs & radar cruisers you spot you can actually get some damage farming BBs by the end. (Hasn't been enough CVs to be worth mentioning in bronze so not a factor to consider...but having Kagero detection against them...& k owing how to turn off your AA after they atrack...is a laugh riot).

Had a lot of grinding to do to catch up after a long hiatus (& wanting to get the free ships in the last Dockyard) that I haven't been able to concentrate on going higher than bronze...but I'm caught up now & my Kagero has taken me to bronze 1...now to decide which ship to take into quals for silver (will miss the Kagero though).

BTW...even against Kitas & Ognevois the Kagero can do some decent damage (& often even kill them) w/just it's guns if you get yourself lined up in a kiting away position w/all guns on target before you open fire...& that is w/no reload skill on the guns...but the 1 point turret traverse skill is a must for that....amazing what detecting them 1.5km before they can detect you can do for you...plenty of time to play cat & mouse before engaging.

Smoke is there if you need it but I found I generally remove over 1/2 life (& closer to 3/4 most times) off most of them before they ever got their guns around to fire back...but I also tried to line up islands to duck behind to save the smoke charges...but that's only for when the team is ignoring your F3 requests..or if you find yourself all alone against them because both of your teams have gone full lemming to the other side.

That's also in bronze...silver & gold results may vary...but mainly only because you can't bring Kagero into them.

Guessing Yugumo (or possibly the RN options...they have pretty good detection if I remember correctly) will be my choice...but not sure whether to keep the smoke or get the extra torps.

GL to ya on getting through the slog.

• Thanks 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,582 posts
31,419 battles

Doing just fine in Ranked.  Not playing at all, so all's good.

• Cool 2

[RLGN]
Members
16,607 posts
29,037 battles
1 hour ago, hexeris said:

Mines going well!  Don't play it!

This new format is terrible.

This.

The switchup was a perfect excuse to abandon playing Ranked.

All I played for was the R15 season flags anyway.

[WMD]
Members
1,952 posts
11,096 battles

Ranked has been awesome, I play my 12 victories per sprint and take a break. I stick to bronze because it's the most laid back league, and have really been enjoying the experience. 

• Cool 1

[TIMT]
Members
1,780 posts

I just had a pleasant silver league game in Des Moines where a Conqueror player complained about an Iowa being the worst player in the match. Admittedly, the Iowa wasn't very good and I could not see what he was doing very clearly.

Hilarity ensued though when another player in a Petropavlosk pointed out that with 42% WR the Conq was objectively the worst player in the match. This, of course, did not sit well with the Conq player, who by this point in time had been promoted to armchair admiral by the red Halland, thus beginning to question the age and maturity of the Petropavlosk player. Needless to say, the usual "reported" was thrown into the chat and more comic relief was provided. Think most of us had a good laugh, at least I hope so.

Ranked. Ranked never changes.

[XXII]
Members
51 posts
9,118 battles

I've reach rank 1 in bronze and got pissed off when I realised I had to win 5 more to get to silver :Smile_amazed:

• Haha 1

[CAZA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
560 posts
7,459 battles

I like ranked quite a lot now, but I've been playing Bronze grinding out stuff and having a generally chill environment. I will proceed to Silver soon just because it's a better place to do missions for the dockyard ship.

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,916 posts

I don't worry about ranked much anymore. Ive got maybe 200 more steel to get (2 wins) and a bit of 200 coin (Another 3 wins) and 7 days to go until end of sprint 5 next wed. Way down here in rank 8 of Bronze.

People fail up and hope to rank out. Now we just fail down and gather the ration of steel and roll on with more important gaming other than ranked.

If there was no steel, I would not bother with ranked. Its nothing more than self punishment and ultimately abuse. Sticking one self into a gas oven over and over and over again and stuck in life unable to get past bronze 5 for a month or three months.

Disgusting.

One thing I do do.. fly the pirate flag in ranked to show that I actually ranked out in old ranked at rank 1. That was a awesome 10 day battle to finish it last year. And got the pirate flag for that.

Edited by xHeavy

[-HUGS]
Members
216 posts
6,616 battles

People in dysfunctional teams getting mad is part of the experience, I guess. I've seen 3 incidents tonight, out of 16 games, in silver division. And I just started playing after a 2 weeks break. Only one incident involving me on the receiving end. The common thing in all three; a sub 50%WR/Sub 1000PR players commenting the play of someone clearly better than the, both looking at the stats, but also at the end game results. (Yes, I run WOWS monitor on a secondary screen, it helps with decision making sometimes). And when I say "commenting", I am referring to words such as "useless", "worthless", etc. Nothing constructive. I am sparring you the nasty details.

Some people will be quick to say it's always been like this but honestly, I feel like it got worse. At least,  I remember having fun with ranked, at one point....

How is it going for me? This look to be the toughest week I ever had, I really damaged my stats tonight with that shameful 35% WR (my avg in ranked is 60%). I think I'll max out my rewards, and will take another break. I don't mind losing, being part of dysfunctional teams; I get to practice playing under pressure, and that's useful too. But the toxicity....  I feel like it's too much right now. I would rather not deal with it. 

• Thanks 1

[-REI-]
Beta Testers
26 posts
5,039 battles

Ranked is full of DD heavy teams. As such, the most fun one can have is bringing out a Venezia. It's like bringing a shark to the kids pool. 

[WOLF3]
Members
203 posts
2,545 battles
14 hours ago, eviltane said:

Sadly I reached rank 1 bronze yesterday so no more for me. 

Same .....

[SALVO]
Members
9,013 posts
6,716 battles

Bronze's fun man, Bronze's fun 

14 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Ranked is decided by the stealthiest DDs playing their ships to their best advantages... Kagero 

Mr. Lightning wants a word with Kagero, always makes him very happy to meet one in a match. 100 mts detection advantage is meaningless.

Now seriously, I'm impressed you made her work, so far Kagero is the only boat I haven't been able to make work in Ranked which was a surprising deception. I'm running her on a 10 pt captain so she's a bit gimped but nonetheless, I run almost everything on 10 pt captains without too much trouble.

• Cool 1