You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Zath

Zath Chat - Auctions 785 10.3

30 comments in this topic

[-K-]
SuperTest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,387 posts
25,906 battles

WG has recently announced the addition of an auction system. We discuss the implications and some ideas for it.

What do you think will be up for auction? Do you like this idea?

[PVE]
Members
132 posts
4,502 battles

I think the auctions are a great idea. Unlike the boxes, you know what you're buying/bidding on. So there are no surprises, you put the money up for a certain ship and if you get that ship you're a happy camper,  if you don't want to spend any money or you don't like the ship keep your wallet in your pocket. Either way there's no surprises and nobody's crying.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
8,982 posts
6,672 battles

I wouldn't mind auctions if it ends paying up for more varied game content and not just Sub_O's yearly bonus or Victor's new estate.

I'm gonna chuckle when withdrawn OP ships resurface at limited numbers at Auctions. I bet Enterprise will be first.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,935 posts
22,964 battles

People are going to cry when they see what the market is really willing to bear for rare items. It's a great way for WG to drain the extra currency floating around the in-game economy, though.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-K-]
6,387 posts
25,906 battles
49 minutes ago, Filthywon said:

I think the auctions are a great idea. Unlike the boxes, you know what you're buying/bidding on. So there are no surprises, you put the money up for a certain ship and if you get that ship you're a happy camper,  if you don't want to spend any money or you don't like the ship keep your wallet in your pocket. Either way there's no surprises and nobody's crying.

I hadn't even considered that! Good point, it does remove the randomness that way. Hmm...

45 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

I wouldn't mind auctions if it ends paying up for more varied game content and not just Sub_O's yearly bonus or Victor's new estate.

I'm gonna chuckle when withdrawn OP ships resurface at limited numbers at Auctions. I bet Enterprise will be first.

I'll laugh a bit as well, but hey if people want it that bad... 

35 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

People are going to cry when they see what the market is really willing to bear for rare items. It's a great way for WG to drain the extra currency floating around the in-game economy, though.

Do you have any money set aside for Enterprise?

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,453 posts
10 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

Do you have any money set aside for Enterprise?

I have Enterprise but one of the ships I regret missing is Champaign.  It's probably not that in demand so I don't know if it will hit the auction but if it does, I would probably throw some dubs at it and see what shakes out. 

It won't be some crazy amount but, if I ended up getting it for a reasonable bid I would be happy.  If I didn't and I just get my lost bid back, I don't see a foul.  As I will end up using that value for something anyway.

Something like the Enterprise or say Belfast (which I am also missing).....I am sure I would be priced out of market right away.

[D-DAY]
Members
7,126 posts

Have no problem with it, WG is a company and they have long valued coin over their customers.

It was inevitable, they say ships are too popular so they have to remove them - only to bring the same ships back in containers for money, or as Black Ship variants. If they were really taking ships away because of the reasons they quote, then they would remove them altogether. If they wanted to limit, then they could only release them when they felt it was time to (as normal price purchases) - but that would not get them the money they want, so they don't.

So I fully expect many of the ships they removed because they stated to continue to offer them would be bad for the game - to be offered in the auction for money. :Smile_coin:

Edited by _WaveRider_

[KWF]
Members
6,567 posts
7,175 battles

I don't think I can say anything more that hasn't been said, only that the true "winners" in auctions will be the ones having the lowest winning bids. The rest will have definitely overvalued way too much the worth of what is put up for auction.

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,878 posts

I consider myself very good with auctions. However.

The item is worth what you can pay for it. There is someone whaling bigger than you usually.

I generally don't expect it to be good. However it might be a chance to get something that is not obtainable otherwise. However I do have the ability to whale it. And its going to be tears for whoever committed too much.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,651 posts
26,547 battles
1 hour ago, Edgecase said:

We have several decades of MMORPGs doing markets / auction houses / exchanges, it always happens like that.  I've played MMORPGs since the 1990s so I've seen this dance play out many times over the years.  It's going to be fun watching it happen here in WoWS for rare stuff and people getting floored by the prices on what the player market is really like.

If people think they're going to get someone's Missouri for a few bits of Coal, they're going to be sadly mistaken.  Credits?

Missouri, Musashi for sale?  What are people going to really give up for it?

rain.gif

26 minutes ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

The only thing I have seen auctions, in this context, is over price things. 

It's never overpriced if the item sells for a high price.  It is overpriced if nobody buys.  And one thing I've always observed with auction houses / markets / exchanges / etc., is that if the item is desirable enough, someone out there is willing to pay that high price.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SALVO]
Beta Testers
2,189 posts
30,924 battles
2 hours ago, Lord_Zath said:

WG has recently announced the addition of an auction system. We discuss the implications and some ideas for it.

I think it could be a very good way to gather marketing data on how much certain ships and/or other items are "worth" using in-game currency......like fxp, steel, coal, research bureau points, or even credits.   It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,651 posts
26,547 battles

The fun thing is this.

The stuff that would sell for crazy, the ships we can no longer acquire by normal means, i.e. Missouri, Musashi, the supply of such ships will be limited.

- Some guys are just simply never going to give them up.

- Player attrition.  This means even those accounts that have those super rare ships will go inactive with players leaving the game for a variety of reasons.

The prices are going to be really high, and the pool of such ships very limited.  NA Server is the 3rd smallest server out of the 4 (RU > EU > NA > Asia in terms of player population).  How many active accounts have Missouri, Musashi?  Not that many, and as time goes on, even fewer.  There is also the exchange minigame.  Some dolt is going to try and be Captain Cool and try to sell his Missouri for a "reasonable" price for some Captain Average Joe to get her.  Foolish mistake.  The guy that plays the exchange game will see that, buy the ship, and then list it for higher in the actual market prices.

[E-REB]
Members
5 posts
8,508 battles

My two cents is, when you buy crates and they give you rare ships you already own they dont let you keep a second ship but give you another ship.  Well what if it was one of the ships that considered highly desirable like missouri, or musashi, i bet a lot of people would auction off a second missouri instead of there only one in port.

[PHD]
Members
1,962 posts
7,607 battles

The other issue, depending on how it is done, is people with slow computers or connections will be at a disadvantage. 

Maybe if they did like a sealed bid so you see the item, early, bid, and then the bids opened later to decide the winner 

[PVE]
Members
8,805 posts
25,095 battles
2 hours ago, Filthywon said:

Either way there's no surprises and nobody's crying.

1 hour ago, Lord_Zath said:

I hadn't even considered that! Good point, it does remove the randomness that way. Hmm...

It's a closed bid system..where nobody knows what bids are the lowest so they have no idea how much they need to bid to be able to obtain any given item...or how much over the needed amount they're about to go...

It's gonna be a lot of surprises when that $500 isn't even close to what the cheapest Missouri is gonna go for...& they're talking about putting up 500 of each item at a time (that may have just been for 1 example though)...& again...that $500 is still not gonna be enough to get the cheapest Missouri (not my concern as I got it when it came out...but there's most definitely gonna be a LOT of surprises in this auction system).

I don't expect rare ships to be he 1st items on the docket though...probably containers to finish collections or the rare camos talked about in the video.

There may not be any "it cost me way more than I expected" surprises...but there will probably be a lot of "no way...how didn't I get that" surprises...

On that note...wondering if they will show the winning bid amounts after the auctions...just so those that missed out can see just how far off they were.

12 minutes ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

Maybe if they did like a sealed bid so you see the item, early, bid, and then the bids opened later to decide the winner 

From the dev blog that's the idea I got from it.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[SALVO]
Members
8,982 posts
6,672 battles
30 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

There is also the exchange minigame.  Some dolt is going to try and be Captain Cool and try to sell his Missouri for a "reasonable" price for some Captain Average Joe to get her.  Foolish mistake.  The guy that plays the exchange game will see that, buy the ship, and then list it for higher in the actual market prices.

I'm fairly sure you as a player would never ever be able to put stuff up for auction, we are only and strictly clients and bidders, never direct auctioneers. The spice flows in only one direction, out of Arrakis, not into Arrakis. 

[PHD]
Members
1,962 posts
7,607 battles
5 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

It's a closed bid system..where nobody knows what bids are the lowest so they have no idea how much they need to bid to be able to obtain any given item...or how much over the needed amount they're about to go...

It's gonna be a lot of surprises when that $500 isn't even close to what the cheapest Missouri is gonna go for...& they're talking about putting up 500 of each item at a time (that may have just been for 1 example though)...& again...that $500 is still not gonna be enough to get the cheapest Missouri (not my concern as I got it when it came out...but there's most definitely gonna be a LOT of surprises in this auction system).

Don't expect rare ships to be he 1st items on the docket though...probably containers to finish collections or the rare camos talked about in the video.

There may not be any "it cost me way more than I expected" surprises...but there will probably be a lot of "no way...how didn't I get that" surprises...

On that note...wondering if they will show the winning bid amounts after the auctions...just so those that missed out can see just how far off they were.

From the dev blog that's the idea I got from it.

Cool,  when they did an auction before it did work like that and things did not go as well they could have.

If they are auctioning ships, I wonder if there are several of the same ship you make a bid and say there are 50, the top 50 bids get a ship. Or you pick just one of the 50 to bid on making the possible winning price vary greatly, as it is 50 separate bid processes. If you pad your chances by biding on each of them you could end up with several. 

[WOLF9]
Members
1,486 posts
25,821 battles
3 hours ago, Lord_Zath said:

I am going to assume rare ships, rare and very good camos, dragon flags will be items up for auctions.  Azur Lane / Arp / other event ships /rare and withdrawn ships, etc.  What would also be VERY interesting (to me at least) is if things like steel / RP are put up for auction.

I think it is a good idea DEPENDING on how it is implemented:

Closed bids where we can't see what others bid?  No

Post an item and price and the first one that meets it, gets it?  No

Open bids (like ebay) with a set time limit:  Yes

Multiple copies of an item (like 100 or so for sale):  Yes

As for me, I think the only ship I MIGHT be interested in is the Missouri because of the credit multiplier.  I don't have many ships, but I have gone after the ones I wanted in the last 3 years and have gotten most of them.  My fleet is under 100 ships, so I am not a collector.

EDIT:  I did not watch the video before posting my thoughts.

Edited by kyesac

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,470 posts
4,774 battles

Dang YT renditions don't capture the Twitch stream chat so y'all don't get the benefit of my wisdom.

I'm for it until WG does something that makes me agin it.

[SALVO]
Members
8,982 posts
6,672 battles
17 minutes ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

If they are auctioning ships, I wonder if there are several of the same ship you make a bid and say there are 50, the top 50 bids get a ship.

This is your answer

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
7,464 posts

I don't like it.  The issue for me is that WG has set this up not out of any good will towards players but to  set up a system to make them overpay, with the intent to drain currency from WoWs "economy", so they can make you earn it, and/or buy it again.  I wouldn't be too concerned it this was only aimed at a small number of players that are sitting on a crap ton of resources, but it's not.

The intent is also to inflate the perceived value of items for everyone.  When the cheapest Missouri goes for 75 million FXP, WG will swoop in, being the nice people they are, and offer you one for only $250 at Christmas.  Or when a Thunderer goes for 40 million coal, WG will say well not everyone can get a Thunderer, but here have this new OP ship for only 1 million coal. 

I could be wrong, and WG won't go crazy.  I don't trust them, but maybe they will surprise us.  Anyone know how the auctions work in Tanks?  Are they offering tanks?  Assuming it will work like Tanks, what can we expect?

[-K-]
6,387 posts
25,906 battles
15 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

<snip>

It's never overpriced if the item sells for a high price.  It is overpriced if nobody buys.  And one thing I've always observed with auction houses / markets / exchanges / etc., is that if the item is desirable enough, someone out there is willing to pay that high price.

Yeah, I teach my AP Econ students that everything is worth what the buyer is willing to pay for it. We saw that (and price discrimination) with the various bundles that came with ships. Now we'll likely see it in this auction, too. 

15 hours ago, Merc85 said:

I think it could be a very good way to gather marketing data on how much certain ships and/or other items are "worth" using in-game currency......like fxp, steel, coal, research bureau points, or even credits.   It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

You know I never really thought about that... really great point!

15 hours ago, chugar said:

My two cents is, when you buy crates and they give you rare ships you already own they dont let you keep a second ship but give you another ship.  Well what if it was one of the ships that considered highly desirable like missouri, or musashi, i bet a lot of people would auction off a second missouri instead of there only one in port.

Others have mentioned it's WG only selling, but you also bring up a good point... what if players decided to auction off the ships they no longer want? On the one hand, that's more doubs/whatever coming to them. On the other, you may get some players who auction away a ship like Kamikaze R and a year later regret it. 

14 hours ago, kyesac said:

<snip>

EDIT:  I did not watch the video before posting my thoughts.

No worries pretty cool how close we were, eh?

14 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Dang YT renditions don't capture the Twitch stream chat so y'all don't get the benefit of my wisdom.

I'm for it until WG does something that makes me agin it.

I wish it would keep chat, and I do try and read off important points as the discussion goes on, but... hard to keep up all the time. Sorry!

13 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

I don't like it.  The issue for me is that WG has set this up not out of any good will towards players but to  set up a system to make them overpay, with the intent to drain currency from WoWs "economy", so they can make you earn it, and/or buy it again.  I wouldn't be too concerned it this was only aimed at a small number of players that are sitting on a crap ton of resources, but it's not.

The intent is also to inflate the perceived value of items for everyone.  When the cheapest Missouri goes for 75 million FXP, WG will swoop in, being the nice people they are, and offer you one for only $250 at Christmas.  Or when a Thunderer goes for 40 million coal, WG will say well not everyone can get a Thunderer, but here have this new OP ship for only 1 million coal. 

I could be wrong, and WG won't go crazy.  I don't trust them, but maybe they will surprise us.  Anyone know how the auctions work in Tanks?  Are they offering tanks?  Assuming it will work like Tanks, what can we expect?

I'm OK with the concept of draining currency. If it's sitting on the account and not being used, then it's worthless, right? *quickly hides doubloon pile*