You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
xalmgrey

Qualifying still sucks.

42 comments in this topic

[JEDI-]
Members
2,685 posts
6,939 battles

I still don't get WG why you insist on this qualifying garbage? I have to win 5 battles against people already in the next league and win 5 straight to go on even though its already painful enough getting through these ranks?

You guys insist on making ranked play a slog don't you? 

I play this game less and less anymore and really wasting my time "qualifying" when getting through the ranks should be enough. 

I'm sick of your garbage WG. This isn't fun. There's nothing fun or entertaining about these rounds that don't even net steel or coal.

Edited by xalmgrey
  • Cool 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 2

[CRUEL]
Members
557 posts
10,769 battles

The 1 week sprints were tough but I felt like once i got on a roll it was worth it. Ranked out of gold 3 of the 4 available sprints. This season I just stayed in silver, collected my win bonuses and stop. I dont really see the point in grinding 50 more games just to make it to gold. Not enough incentive. So yea I'm right there with you. I'm done with the slog. 

[WOLF1]
Members
1,151 posts
2,228 battles
39 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

I still don't get WG why you insist on this qualifying garbage? I have to win 5 battles against people already in the next league and win 5 straight to go on even though its already painful enough getting through these ranks?

I play this game less and less anymore and really wasting my time "qualifying" when getting through the ranks should be enough. 

I'm sick of your garbage WG. This isn't fun. There's nothing fun or entertaining about these rounds that don't even net steel or coal.

You know what doesn’t suck? The Iowa-class battleship firing a full salvo in your profile picture

[JEDI-]
Members
2,685 posts
6,939 battles
29 minutes ago, Darmokattenagra said:

The 1 week sprints were tough but I felt like once i got on a roll it was worth it. Ranked out of gold 3 of the 4 available sprints. This season I just stayed in silver, collected my win bonuses and stop. I dont really see the point in grinding 50 more games just to make it to gold. Not enough incentive. So yea I'm right there with you. I'm done with the slog. 

I don't understand their thinking with these qualifying rounds. One would think making it through the ranks themselves would be grindy enough.

Seems like they just can't help themselves. For every enjoyable thing they add they tack on several features that just bog it down.

For a game that struggles to keep players, you would think they would go out of their way to make playing as fun as possible. But nope, gotta add stuff to make us grind more, because, WG.

The sense of progression just flies out the window in these qualifying rounds.

[JEDI-]
Members
2,685 posts
6,939 battles
21 minutes ago, Boomer625 said:

You know what doesn’t suck? The Iowa-class battleship firing a full salvo in your profile picture

Thanks.

I'm pretty fond of it myself :cap_rambo:

[PVE]
Members
8,821 posts
25,124 battles
4 hours ago, xalmgrey said:

But... it's only 4 days into the sprint & you're already at qualifications... that doesn't sound like too much extra of a grind considering there's still a week & 1/2 left to do it.

I do agree the qual rewards suck though...but I guess they don't wanna make them too good or more players that should stay in the lower leagues would grind to the higher 1s just to farm those rewards also.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[TWFT]
Members
1,588 posts
41,997 battles

The only thing WG wants is for players to grind more, get frustrated and spend money.  WG could care less about how the player base feels.

I'm playin, but im not payin.

• Cool 2

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
3,074 posts
27,844 battles

I dont even bother. I just grind out 9 wins in bronze for my 600 steel and call it good. I dont see the point in all the extra effort to get to silver for 200 more steel. Maybe if ranked wasnt so redundant with the same ships on the same maps it would be more appealing but it's simply not. The only incentive to move up is for the ships to change to another tier but then it just gets boring again.

• Cool 1

Members
2,070 posts
12,824 battles

The qualifiers do suck but lets be honest here if getting 5 wins is such a struggle for you then maybe you don't belong in the next league.

• Boring 1

[WOLF3]
Members
203 posts
2,545 battles
1 hour ago, Skuggsja said:

I dont even bother. I just grind out 9 wins in bronze for my 600 steel and call it good.

Agreed ....I also use the time to grind ships and modules at tier 8 & 9 ...Ranked is a joke ....just use it for the steel and quick XP

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,935 posts
22,995 battles

I kinda like them being there so I don't accidentally get into the next league. Gold is such a ridiculously bad value.

[SALVO]
Members
3,664 posts
7,530 battles

I definitely like the qualifiers. More steps to separate wheat and chaff.  Also as Edgecase just said this way you don't get tripped into the next league after reaching 1. 

Edited by eviltane

[DVYJC]
Members
4,427 posts
11,832 battles

You guys bother with the qualifiers?

I rank out of silver in the first five or six days and then am happy as a clam just playing Randoms, and I don't even care about win rate at that point. Oddly that makes my win rate go up.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn

[WG]
Administrator, Community Department, WG Staff
126 posts

It's interesting seeing how everyone feels about the qualifiers, but I want to ask all of you something because I want to hear your thoughts. I saw someone talk about certain ranks being "bad value" and another person talking about having competitive games. 

Rather you do or don't like the qualifiers, what is your motivation for playing ranked? Why do you play ranked? 

• Boring 1

[GGWP]
Members
7,633 posts
18,355 battles
3 minutes ago, Mademoisail said:

It's interesting seeing how everyone feels about the qualifiers, but I want to ask all of you something because I want to hear your thoughts. I saw someone talk about certain ranks being "bad value" and another person talking about having competitive games. 

Rather you do or don't like the qualifiers, what is your motivation for playing ranked? Why do you play ranked? 

The games played for the rewards goes down in gold. Ie: I would have to play more games in gold to get the same reward.

Also to get significantly better rewards in each league you have to rank out. If I run out of time to rank out in gold, I would have been better off to stay in silver where I dont need to play as much to rank out. 

You want a better breakdown? Because I'll give you the math if you insist. It's horrendous. 

And then there is the fact that there is little sense of accomplishment in ranking out now. Someone's rank means absolutely nothing. If WG wants ranked to mean something, they need to move to an ELO system. 

• Cool 3

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,882 posts
2,681 battles
10 minutes ago, Mademoisail said:

To farm for steel. Also to avoid playing with CVs, if the ranked is an odd tier only season.

• Cool 3

[INTEL]
Members
3,474 posts
20,424 battles
12 minutes ago, Mademoisail said:

I play Ranked because:

1. I prefer the smaller team format over Randoms (multiple reasons)
  2. The rewards are better than Randoms

The qualifiers allow me to keep playing Ranked for a bit even though I've Ranked out.  I suggest that if WG prefers players to move to the next level, they provide a significant reward for Qualifying for the next league.  As has @DuckyShot mentioned, Gold is not as rewarding as just doing Silver repeatedly (for the same effort).  So, I just stay in Silver.

• Cool 2

[O-B-G]
Members
84 posts
10,085 battles

I like the qualifiers as i can see what i am up against before i even get to silver.

I've done well in bronze.  Very well in fact and when i finish bronze I really am not ready to stop playing ranked just yet so i hop into the silver qualifiers and knock out 4 wins. I get a sneak peek of what I am up against and it makes me want to stay in bronze. Very different play style between bronze and silver.

I did qualify once to get into gold and I played in gold and I could not wait to get out of gold and back into bronze which is where i am staying for now. I have a lot of fun in ranked. Much more so then random to be honest.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,935 posts
22,995 battles
9 minutes ago, Mademoisail said:

When WG redesigned Ranked from an Event (intermittent, seasonal, high rewards) into a Mode (continuous, grindy, low rewards), I changed with the times. There's no prestige in ranks (even the icon poofs every two weeks), and there's no big reward for ranking out. Instead, it's just 7v7 Random Battles. So I look at them the same way I look at other Random battles: what econ gains can I get?

And from an econ point of view, Gold League is a laughable trap.

Silver Gold
XP 150,000 - 200,000 XP 0 (T10s only)
Steel 1000 1200
Doubloons 600 800
Stars required 20 (1.4/day) 30 (2.1/day)
Salt factor Heart healthy Tears and ocean water

What it mostly comes down to is, Gold demands 50% more effort, in exchange for literally worse rewards due to the forfeiture of all XP earnings because it's T10-only. Never mind that those games are played with a much higher percentage of saltier and more frustrated tryhards at the helm -- sorry, but that's my legit experience, which many other people have seconded.

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

[WOLFG]
Members
1,177 posts
18 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

When WG redesigned Ranked from an Event (intermittent, seasonal, high rewards) into a Mode (continuous, grindy, low rewards), I changed with the times. There's no prestige in ranks (even the icon poofs every two weeks), and there's no big reward for ranking out. Instead, it's just 7v7 Random Battles. So I look at them the same way I look at other Random battles: what econ gains can I get?

Silver Gold
Steel 1000 1200
Doubloons 600 800

What it mostly comes down to is, Gold demands 50% more effort, in exchange for literally worse rewards due to the forfeiture of all XP earnings because it's T10-only. Never mind that those games are played with a much higher percentage of saltier and more frustrated tryhards at the helm -- sorry, but that's my legit experience, which many other people have seconded.

You know, they only thing that WGs is going to do with this information is reduce the number of rewards you get in Silver.  If you think they are going to raise the number of rewards you get in Gold, I have a bridge to sell you in Arizona.

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
3,074 posts
27,844 battles
1 hour ago, Mademoisail said:

I play for the reward of steel primarily. At this point in the game for me (5.5 years and 25k battles) the only thing I need is the harder to acquire resources.

When a new ranked sprint starts it feels fresh and fun for a few games, and that gets me to play as well. Once you start hitting 20 to 30 games it gets extremely redundant. I also tend to play the same ship over and over because I'll find one that works well. I will also see the same meta ships on the same maps over and over so I switch to randoms where I can change tiers and get a different experience. At tier 6 I dont see a Georgia or Massachusetts in every game, as an example.

Edited by Skuggsja

[GGWP]
Members
7,633 posts
18,355 battles
42 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Silver Gold
Steel 1000 1200
Doubloons 600 800

Well, you gotta grind those torp modules in T10 sometime. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,935 posts
22,995 battles
27 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

You know, they only thing that WGs is going to do with this information is reduce the number of rewards you get in Silver.  If you think they are going to raise the number of rewards you get in Gold, I have a bridge to sell you in Arizona.

Yeah, I do know. They're also trying to undermine Silver as a more pleasant grind experience by taking away the narrower matchmaking (next season Silver is T8-T10). But I'll just play my 8s vs. 10s anyway, it's no worse than Randoms. The only things that will get me to bother with Gold are reducing the grind length so it's not such a ridiculous chore when stacked on top of CB and KOTS, letting XP count, or getting the salty garglers out so it's not such a hideously unpleasant experience.

5 minutes ago, DuckyShot said:

Well, you gotta grind those torp modules in T10 sometime. 

You mean grind through my stock Midway planes? Don't mind if I do...

Edited by Edgecase