You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Is Fletcher the peak of US DD line?

15 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
6,722 posts
20,715 battles

Finally grinding the US DD line. I have often seen in the forum that Gearing is almost a step down from the Fletcher. That the line peaks at Fletcher. However, I notice that the preceding Benson actually rates better vs its peers at T8. Obviously Fletcher is better than Benson but that would be expected. 

[-VT-]
Members
868 posts
37,936 battles

Fletcher is the peak of the line.  It does face more competitive pressure at tier 9 than Benson does at tier 8 so not surprising that Benson rates out higher “in tier”.

[GWG]
Members
7,734 posts
14,754 battles

In many of the lines, Tier 9 is a gap-filler dud ship that is meant to be Free-XP'd over.  I'm looking at you, Izumo, FDG, Roon, TrashCan, and others.

But there are a couple exceptions like the Fletcher and Udaloi.  And like the Gearing, the Groz is a bit of a let-down.

[SR-_-]
Members
4,910 posts
46,424 battles

Fletcher is legit good. Of all tier 9 DDs. It is not the cookie cutter placeholder of a tech tree line. It was the most built DD in WW2. Gearing is tier 10 only by size and being of last production that came late in war. 

Fletcher is a good all around performer. It has more options in hulls too. 

It was one of the original lines rolled out at release. So it stayed true to form. 

The IJN was the other, but got heavily nerfed for certain things. 

This line is way overdue for a split by the way. You can almost taste it. 

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
16,590 posts
28,974 battles
1 hour ago, AVR_Project said:

And like the Gearing, the Groz is a bit of a let-down.

Sure you don’t mean the Khab?

That thing is a pig that uses a one-man life raft oar for a rudder.

I always played Groz in (old) Ranked.

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
439 posts
11,372 battles
3 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

In many of the lines, Tier 9 is a gap-filler dud ship that is meant to be Free-XP'd over.  I'm looking at you, Izumo, FDG, Roon, TrashCan, and others.

If you mean Tashkent, I'm surprised. I found Khabarovsk to be not a huge upgrade from Tashkent, and both are very capable gunboat DDs.

[CVA16]
Members
6,722 posts
20,715 battles
6 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

and others.

cough, cough, Buffalo

Members
104 posts
1,486 battles

Fletcher is fantastic because it's a) versatile and b) a comfortable ride. It turns well, it has fast reloading guns, great torps with good range, and it fits every situation. You can disengage with smoke, or sit in it to farm BBs. HE DPM is good even compared to some other gunboats (e.g. higher than Mogador's without the reload booster).

It may not be the best cap contester out there (due to lack of hydro) but that's never bothered me too much.

I run mine as a hybrid torpedo/gunboat: https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PASD021&modules=12221&upgrades=145222&commander=PCW001&skills=4356256&ar=100&consumables=111&pos=0 . This gives great torpedo reload, good torpedo speed, and a small DPM buff with MAAS.

To hunt DDs around, https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PASD021&modules=12221&upgrades=145221&commander=PCW001&skills=5400624&ar=100&consumables=111&pos=0 . But I much favor her as a torpedo boat so far.

The guns are a good bonus. Benson was a fantastic boat T8. Fletcher is basically a Benson with much better torps. Awesome boat and great fun to play. I don't have Gearing yet... I've enjoyed all my T9 Destroyers (Fletcher, Mogador, Ostergotland, Jutland, Kitakaze) very much so far, and honestly the only one I feel I immediately *want* to get to its T10 counterpart is Ostergotland, which I don't feel is that competitive. All others, Fletcher, Mog, Jutland, Kita) are just great. For destroyers, T9 is really, really good.

Edited by Count_pott
  • Cool 1

[UN1]
Members
1,404 posts
4,571 battles
10 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Finally grinding the US DD line. I have often seen in the forum that Gearing is almost a step down from the Fletcher. That the line peaks at Fletcher. However, I notice that the preceding Benson actually rates better vs its peers at T8. Obviously Fletcher is better than Benson but that would be expected. 

If you like the Fletcher, and you like playing the Fletcher as a gunboat, then look to the Kidd as a phenomenal alternative.  All the Fletcher love, but at T8 and with a heal.  It's OP as heck haha.

[HINON]
Members
9,144 posts
13,633 battles

Fletcher is by far one of the most beloved DDs in this game, not to say the Gearing is bad, far from it, but id imagine if you asked people about DDs from WW2, the Fletcher class will be one of the ones mentioned, being the most numerous class of DDs ever made and being one of the most successful DD classes ever made as well, people will probably remember them

Members
104 posts
1,486 battles

Allow me to bump this...

I just finished grinding Fletcher and researched Gearing, but I did not buy it. This is because I find T10 a LOT more tedious and annoying than T9. I have Daring, Marceau, Halland, and Kleber, and short of Marceau, I just never play my T10 boats. The meta is too passive, it's too slow, there's too many radars or CVs and it's just not making me have fun. A game should be fun, so I avoid it.

Is Gearing a different experience? Does it fit the style better? (e.g. Marceau, I can deal with fine in T10. Don't ask me how. Daring, not at all).

Is it a better boat, tier-for-tier, vs. Fletcher? How do y'all feel?

[META_]
Members
1,837 posts
18,976 battles

You've got to remember  , winrate is reliant to whether you can make the ship perform.  What I mean is , say you are a torp boat dd player and this is your mentality,  if the best winrate dd isn't a torp boat but we put you in the non torp boat you won't perform as well as you can in your style.......take me for instance,  I do fine in my American dds but excel in French and German dds which are polar opposite by the way,lol....Benson is the beginning of the transition to torp boat for the US. So even though the German line has a low global winrate but it fits my style I do better than I would in what would be considered stronger...same in French.....I personally think the Gearing brings different attributes that I like , but different than the Fletcher....I think the gun layout is better , 4 guns bow on so I can stay slim against incoming fire . I like the longer range torps on the Gearing also . The problem that the Gearing runs into most ships it sees has heals....the Fletcher still sees tier 7 so at that tier cruisers predominantly don't get heals.....jmo

Members
104 posts
1,486 battles

Follow-up on my post above!

I was worried that tier-for-tier, Gearing would be less effective and, worse, less pleasant. To me so far, that has not been the case.

Gearing has the same comfortable handling, gunpower, and can handle its own at T10 just the same as Fletcher did at T9. It's an older boat but I don't feel power-crept or useless at its tier.

I was also worried its 21mm armor plating would cause me to eat more damage from DDs shooting AP at me. That hasn't been an issue, as DDs typically just load HE and don't bother swapping (I alternate a lot myself).

Top-notch, versatile destroyer at T10. I honestly prefer it to Halland.

• Cool 1

[FFG30]
Beta Testers
14 posts
1,300 battles
On 4/18/2021 at 11:08 AM, Sabot_100 said:

Certainly feels that way...having played both her and the Gearing for a while now...

Balance hasn't done US ships, especially destroyers, any favors...

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,650 posts
26,535 battles

Tech Tree Ships in Tier IX tend to be Paywalls.  WG designed them to suck and get people to burn resources to skip them.  Whether that be spending stockpiled FreeXP or spending money on Doubloons to convert EliteShipXP -> FreeXP.  Battleships, Cruisers are like this in Tier IX... But not the DDs.  The Tech Tree DDs in Tier IX tend to be pretty good.  Some better than others, but compared to their BB & Cruiser in the tech tree this tier, they're real solid.

Fletcher is a good DD but time has not been good.  The power creep among Tier IX Destroyers is real.  Jutland for instance, infringes upon the duties of Fletcher, and she does it more effectively.

In Tier X, the competition among DDs is very fierce.

You'll find that Fletcher and Gearing performances are subpar for their tiers.  Again, time has not been good for Tech Tree USN DDs.

Gearing vs Fletcher?

Personally in the past, I'd prefer my Fletcher over Gearing.

+ Fletcher has great agility, could dance around torpedoes.  Tier IX DDs generally have agility but the Tier X DDs lose some of that.

+ Fletcher torpedoes are still fine.

Those were qualities that I liked.

What did Gearing have over Fletcher in the past?

+ Double Gun Turrets and 2 of them up front, so she could present a narrow profile and still have 4 guns firing.  Fletcher has to turn out more to get the same amount of guns firing.  This makes Fletcher a bigger target.

And that's it... But as I said, that's the past.

Gearing may sail like a pig, but she does have an extra benefit:  Great torpedo selection.  Gearing players can opt for either Fletcher or Gearing torpedoes.

Fletcher Torps:  10.5km / 66kts / 1.4km detection / 19k dmg / 103 seconds reload.

Gearing Torps:  16.5km / 66kts / 1.4km detection / 17.9k dmg / 116 seconds reload.

With the threat of more common CVs, Radar Cruisers, DDs that are stealthier, DDs with tougher hulls and superior gun power, DDs with Hydro, DDs with Radar, and Hallands with long range and super fast torpedoes... Those 16.5km Gearing Torpedoes look better and better.