Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Cit_the_bed

When you both smoke and can't see jack

12 comments in this topic

[USRUS]
[USRUS]
Members
1,773 posts
22,265 battles

Two clouds of smoke approach!

• Meh 1

[WOLFC]
Members
3,150 posts
11,789 battles
4 hours ago, Laser_Beam said:

You were both ahead of your smoke clouds. You were both spotted, but nice try.

The Italian exhaust smoke found on Italian cruisers, BBs, and Paolo Emilio allows the ships to remain hidden while traveling at full speed. It is literally impossible for these ships to be ahead of their smoke clouds. The downside is that the smoke firing spotting distance of most of the ships with the consumable (the CAs and BBs) is quite large, which limits its use. PE has the consumable as part of her “YOLO” gimmick, but Leone does not, and I expect when we eventually get Italian DDs they will have smoke more like the latter.

In the video, the two ships became detected when they came within 2km of each other and entered assured spotting range. This is the same mechanic that allows you to detect ships hidden on the other side of islands if you are within 2km, or if you charge a smoke screen to flush out a destroyer.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Meh 1

Members
949 posts
220 battles
1 hour ago, Nevermore135 said:

The Italian exhaust smoke found on Italian cruisers, BBs, and Paolo Emilio allows the ships to remain hidden while traveling at full speed. It is literally impossible for these ships to be ahead of their smoke clouds. The downside is that the smoke firing spotting distance of most of the ships with the consumable (the CAs and BBs) is quite large, which limits its use. PE has the consumable as part of her “YOLO” gimmick, but Leone does not, and I expect when we eventually get Italian DDs they will have smoke more like the latter.

In the video, the two ships became detected when they came within 2km of each other and entered assured spotting range. This is the same mechanic that allows you to detect ships hidden on the other side of islands if you are within 2km, or if you charge a smoke screen to flush out a destroyer.

Looks ahead of the smoke to me.  thanks for the detail.

image.png.df60e358dbcbb1b5b67f5f6b260da6fc.png

• Meh 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,062 posts
22,263 battles
5 minutes ago, Laser_Beam said:

Except that the detection point on the ship is further down the hull. But, nice try.

The whole gimmick of these ships is that they can use their smoke at full speed.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLFC]
Members
3,150 posts
11,789 battles
9 minutes ago, Laser_Beam said:

4 minutes ago, Lert said:

Except that the detection point on the ship is further down the hull. But, nice try.

The whole gimmick of these ships is that they can use their smoke at full speed.

^This. The “detection point” of every ship is located amidships, typically aligned with the highest point of the superstructure. This is why you can have ships parked behind islands in a manner that leaves their front or rear turrets unobstructed and free to fire while the ship itself remains undetected.

• Meh 1

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,110 posts
13,431 battles

Paolo Emilio can no longer outrun its smoke, even if it looks like it can. The smoke deployment speed was increased.

• Meh 1

[WOLFG]
Members
34,338 posts
10,584 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

Isn't that red eye a "detected" notification?

• Meh 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,062 posts
22,263 battles
3 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Isn't that red eye a "detected" notification?

Did he just fire or is he proxy spotted?

• Meh 1

[USRUS]
[USRUS]
Members
1,773 posts
22,265 battles
36 minutes ago, Lert said:

Did he just fire or is he proxy spotted?

I was radared at the last second before we proxy detected each other.

• Meh 1

[WOLFG]
Members
34,338 posts
10,584 battles
3 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

^This. The “detection point” of every ship is located amidships, typically aligned with the highest point of the superstructure. This is why you can have ships parked behind islands in a manner that leaves their front or rear turrets unobstructed and free to fire while the ship itself remains undetected.

Which is complete bunk IMO.

Tanks in WoT have several detection points, and it's extremely rare to have it where you should be able to see the tank, but can't. It's almost impossible to do on purpose, and only affects spotting in a very narrow arc.

I don't see why ships can't at least have an additional point at the bow and stern.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
3,150 posts
11,789 battles
32 minutes ago, Cit_the_bed said:

I was radared at the last second before we proxy detected each other.

I imagine that Columbo captain was screaming in chat the whole time for someone to do that. There are few things as terrifying in this game as the quickly approaching PE smoke cloud. :Smile_veryhappy:

31 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Which is complete bunk IMO.

Tanks in WoT have several detection points, and it's extremely rare to have it where you should be able to see the tank, but can't. It's almost impossible to do on purpose, and only affects spotting in a very narrow arc.

I don't see why ships can't at least have an additional point at the bow and stern.

I would love to hear the dev’s reasoning behind this. :cap_popcorn:

• Funny 1

Sign in to follow this