You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
hipcanuck

Lets talk Columbo

16 comments in this topic

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,345 posts
8,308 battles

So far, its pretty good for damage output. Hard to buy a win or influence the motion of battle, cant suck up damage and push forward as you quickly become a shell magnet. SAP shells do their job if aimed a little higher than in a typical BB, think aiming like a Thunderer or Conq.

The smoke.....well.....highly situational. 10 or so games in and Ive only found it to be useful once.

Slower than I expected, slower than it should be, slower than I was hoping for.

Secondaries.....dont even bother building for these...just dont.

Survivability.....you wont, no matter what, so again, I wouldnt.

Im currently trying all skills that improve main guns and concealment.  I dont have deadeye (why bother, they will just take it away shortly) and can reliably deal heavy damage to any cruiser within 12 km and often land 12k salvos on BB's at long range. Wish I had a vid of it but I did a 20k salvo on a cruiser and BB that collided....Italian BB spread is perfect for that situation lol.

Im curious to see what others are using for builds or their experiences with it. Ive tried to build it to be nimble to take advantage of the rear turrets and its good for dodging incoming long range fire. This is especially handy when facing ships that severely outrange the Columbo.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Members
14,323 posts

I thought this was going to be about a certain old TV show. Instead its about a pastabote. Bummer. 

[PVE]
Members
8,822 posts
25,144 battles
38 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

I thought this was going to be about a certain old TV show. Instead its about a pastabote. Bummer. 

...I just have 1 more question...

• Funny 3

[WOLF1]
Members
1,151 posts
2,228 battles
1 hour ago, hipcanuck said:

So far, its pretty good for damage output. Hard to buy a win or influence the motion of battle, cant suck up damage and push forward as you quickly become a shell magnet. SAP shells do their job if aimed a little higher than in a typical BB, think aiming like a Thunderer or Conq.

The smoke.....well.....highly situational. 10 or so games in and Ive only found it to be useful once.

Slower than I expected, slower than it should be, slower than I was hoping for.

Secondaries.....dont even bother building for these...just dont.

Survivability.....you wont, no matter what, so again, I wouldnt.

Im currently trying all skills that improve main guns and concealment.  I dont have deadeye (why bother, they will just take it away shortly) and can reliably deal heavy damage to any cruiser within 12 km and often land 12k salvos on BB's at long range. Wish I had a vid of it but I did a 20k salvo on a cruiser and BB that collided....Italian BB spread is perfect for that situation lol.

Im curious to see what others are using for builds or their experiences with it. Ive tried to build it to be nimble to take advantage of the rear turrets and its good for dodging incoming long range fire. This is especially handy when facing ships that severely outrange the Columbo.

Sees DD smoke up

DD smoke is isolated from rest f team

you Smoke up and rush towards smoke

Proxy spot DD and fire entire salvo of SAP into DD

DD; launches all torpedo racks

You get sunk

wait... oh...

[UNC]
Members
970 posts
6,563 battles

My first impression of Colombo is NOT positive at all.  Dispersion is pretty bad, SAP is unreliable due to shatters on heavier armor, turrets are a bit sluggish, concealment is worse than I expected, and maneuverability is not great (turns like an overloaded garbage scow).  If the guns were more reliable, I could probably overlook the rest; so far my experience has been most salvos I will land 1-2 shells for 2-4k damage then once in a while I'll have a 15k+ salvo.  Granted I am only a handful of games in, but tier for tier I think Lepanto is a much better ship.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,825 posts
24,361 battles

Watch potato quality youtube video of first impressions.....

Then tell me it's junk.

[PVE]
Members
8,822 posts
25,144 battles

Somebody showed a 335k damage (or thereabouts) 1st game in Columbo...but an Iowa ram at the end contributed to that..but still...over 250k shell damage isn't too bad for a 1st outing.

Watched the video & most of his heavy hits (a couple 20k & a couple 30k volleys) were all against BBs though...not the soft targets the SAP shells are supposed to be good against (although he was aiming high so it was soft superstructure hits)...he was only getting chip damage shots (6-10k) on most cruiser hits.

His best attacks were against...

The other Columbia (or it may have been a Lepanto...was 1 of the Italians)...2 volleys finished it off had a bit over 1/2  life.

Pulled out the win after declaring it a loss earlier on.

18 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Then tell me it's junk.

It may have been him...player name wasn't listed on vid & I was going down a rabbit hole when I found the video.

Now that I think about it it did sound like his voice but I've only watched a couple of his vids before so can't be sure.

Two Brothers map...if PQs was on that map it was probably him.

1 hour ago, Boomer625 said:

Sees DD smoke up

DD smoke is isolated from rest f team

you Smoke up and rush towards smoke

Proxy spot DD and fire entire salvo of SAP into DD

DD; launches all torpedo racks

You get sunk

wait... oh...

May be better to go bow (DDs bow) in from last known position (or where you think he most likely pointed his bow after smoking for best results...if he's firing will be real easy to line up) & just go for the ram before he can cut into torp angle.

I know it's supposed to be kinda slow for that but the element of surprise might make it work.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
6,825 posts
24,361 battles
1 hour ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Somebody showed a 335k damage (or thereabouts) 1st game in Columbo...but an Iowa ram at the end contributed to that..but still...over 250k shell damage isn't too bad for a 1st outing.

Watched the video & most of his heavy hits (a couple 20k & a couple 30k volleys) were all against BBs though...not the soft targets the SAP shells are supposed to be good against (although he was aiming high so it was soft superstructure hits)...he was only getting chip damage shots (6-10k) on most cruiser hits.

His best attacks were against...

The other Columbia (or it may have been a Lepanto...was 1 of the Italians)...2 volleys finished it off had a bit over 1/2  life.

Pulled out the win after declaring it a loss earlier on.

It may have been him...player name wasn't listed on vid & I was going down a rabbit hole when I found the video.

Now that I think about it it did sound like his voice but I've only watched a couple of his vids before so can't be sure.

Two Brothers map...if PQs was on that map it was probably him.

May be better to go bow (DDs bow) in from last known position (or where you think he most likely pointed his bow after smoking for best results...if he's firing will be real easy to line up) & just go for the ram before he can cut into torp angle.

I know it's supposed to be kinda slow for that but the element of surprise might make it work.

It was him

• Thanks 1

[UNC]
Members
970 posts
6,563 battles
5 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Then tell me it's junk.

Watched the video, its a heck of a game.  But one amazing game from a unicum player does not convince me that the ship is good.  I'm not saying its junk, but I also don't think it is necessarily that good either.  The Italians gave up a LOT - a little too much IMO - to get SAP, and I'm not even particularly impressed with the SAP.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
6,825 posts
24,361 battles
1 hour ago, Uncle_Lou said:

Watched the video, its a heck of a game.  But one amazing game from a unicum player does not convince me that the ship is good.  I'm not saying its junk, but I also don't think it is necessarily that good either.  The Italians gave up a LOT - a little too much IMO - to get SAP, and I'm not even particularly impressed with the SAP.

Based on that video, I FEXP to the t9 from t8....

Took her out in ranked....

First salvo 14k on an alsace 20km....

She can bow tank and deal good damage...

Key is your aim and her shells dispersion.

[UNC]
Members
970 posts
6,563 battles
2 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Based on that video, I FEXP to the t9 from t8....

Took her out in ranked....

First salvo 14k on an alsace 20km....

She can bow tank and deal good damage...

Key is your aim and her shells dispersion.

I like Lepanto, and think that tier for tier it is flat out better than Colombo.  My aim is decent, the dispersion is crap and that's why I think SAP is overrated - if you can consistently hit upper belts on BBs you will smack the crap out of them.  However, the shells so often disperse away from your point of aim that it's nearly impossible to consistently put shells where they need to be.  I haven't messed around with the AP much but I used it more often with Lepanto and Marco Polo and the results seemed to be better; I could at least get overpen damage with AP rather than shatters with SAP.

So yes, you CAN absolutely take huge chunks out of enemy ships - if the RNG and the target both cooperate for you.  But its totally not reliable.  Plus if I am not mistaken, SAP damage can be healed just like HE; AP damage is a lot harder to get back.  But everyone is different - ships that work well for me are probably trash for others, so...

[PIZZA]
Members
19 posts
20,669 battles

Its crap.  Period.  Crap guns, crap reload, inaccurate, smoke is a gimmick and it has a low health pool.  I find it difficult to break 100k  I do much much better in the T10 Itailian CA.  Much much better boat.  Dont grind.  Its a port queen. 

Oh its detectability is awful too.  Range is also crap.  LOL

AND!  Everyone shoots at it!!  Its like a Mino BB.  Everyone wants a piece.

Edited by boots11234

[1H8ML]
Members
94 posts
1,000 battles

Why is it that the description for the italian bb tree says that the ships have low accuracy when the Colombo LITERALLY has the best accuracy of ALL tier X bbs?

[UNC]
Members
970 posts
6,563 battles
On 5/12/2021 at 10:08 PM, HEYO19191 said:

Why is it that the description for the italian bb tree says that the ships have low accuracy when the Colombo LITERALLY has the best accuracy of ALL tier X bbs?

I'm not sure what Colombo you are playing.  The version I have played has IIRC 1.5 Sigma paired with about 245m dispersion.  So yes, with 16 rifles odds are something is going to hit but its literally a shotgun. The dispersion/accuracy is absolute garbage.  TBH tier for tier I'd rather drive Lepanto, I think Colombo is a lemon.

Not sure how you can say Colombo LITERALLY has the best accuracy of all tier X bbs with a straight face.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,710 posts
26,602 battles
On 5/12/2021 at 7:08 PM, HEYO19191 said:

CC is not an accurate Battleship.  1.5 Sigma is very trash among all Battleships in the game.  She literally relies on the Shotgun effect the same way also very low Sigma Lyon does in Tier VII.  Lyon has trash accuracy with weak, undersize guns for her tier.  But 16 guns offset Lyon's problems.

CC is very much an Italian version of Lyon, and ramped up several notches from Tier VII -> X.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[1H8ML]
Members
94 posts
1,000 battles

It would seem that I had forgotten that sigma existed when creating this post.