You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Gellurt_T

German cruisers, Advice and Suggestions for starters

6 comments in this topic

Members
92 posts
3,437 battles

What advice and suggestions from personal experience would you give on German cruisers to someone who is new and interested in them?

Bit long but for context: After rage quitting the North Carolina and the american BB line in general(Colorado was allright but slow, and down the kansas line is colorado+ so no thanks, even if it's tanky. North carolina was unplayable cause sniping from the back isn't my thing and it's guns felt weird not to mention the american BB shell dispersion and the ricochet's that came along with it) and wanting to diversify the ships i play(American cruiser line, currently playing the Baltimore in a what you could call a stealth build(can expand upon if necessary)) , and(burn me at the stake idc) Grinding the american CV line(Currently at the Ranger and might go down either Japanese or German line for AP stuff), i thought german cruisers which are supposedly decently tanky, appear to have good(decent) guns and have torpedoes to boot for close range BB slaying would be a good way to diversify the game a bit. I play cruisers in a support role(DD killing first, chipping away at BB's with HE, island hopping(Don't know the community term for maneuvering and planning along using islands to deliver punishment) and being more on the cautious side) and was looking for advice in regards for them(German cruisers), currently just starting on the Konigsberg and don't have a high level German commander so could shuffle points around(Currently have the turret traverse, Superintendent and Priority target, plan to get incomming fire alert next)

Oh and obligatory first forum post(Pls warmly welcome yada yada)

And i apologize if post a bit messy, first one as mentioned

• Cool 2

[WOLFC]
Members
3,155 posts
11,804 battles
51 minutes ago, Gellurt_T said:

North carolina was unplayable cause sniping from the back isn't my thing and it's guns felt weird not to mention the american BB shell dispersion and the ricochet's that came along with it)

NC is one of, if not the most accurate BBs at tier VIII, and there’s nothing really wrong with US BB dispersion (it’s standard). I suspect what’s throwing you off is the shell velocity, as NC is the first ship of the line with the amazing “super heavy” AP shells, and the 45 caliber guns on NC are even floatier than the 50 caliber guns found on Iowa and Montana. You have to give quite a bit of lead and it’s a big change from CO.

51 minutes ago, Gellurt_T said:

i thought german cruisers which are supposedly decently tanky, appear to have good(decent) guns and have torpedoes to boot for close range BB slaying would be a good way to diversify the game a bit. I play cruisers in a support role(DD killing first, chipping away at BB's with HE, island hopping(Don't know the community term for maneuvering and planning along using islands to deliver punishment) and being more on the cautious side) and was looking for advice in regards for them(German cruisers), currently just starting on the Konigsberg and don't have a high level German commander so could shuffle points around(Currently have the turret traverse, Superintendent and Priority target, plan to get incomming fire alert next)

You’ve made a good choice - German cruisers are my favorite line in the game. The line starts to become tanky once you get to the CAs at tier VII. Yorck is very nimble and sort of has a turtleback (it’s not very effective), but also has 25mm plating like Pensacola and New Orleans. With Hipper at tier VIII you start to see 27mm plating and the proper turtleback armor that makes the ships so durable at mid-to-close ranges. Konigsberg and Nurnberg at tiers V and VI are super squishy CLs and you need to play them at long range as kiting ships, utilizing their range, ballistics, and 38mm HE pen to burn everything to the waterline. These two ships actually aren’t good at “island hugging” in the way that US cruisers are because they are slow to accelerate and they have relatively flat ballistic arcs. The CLs are better at open water gunnery, using your range and turret arrangement (including 360 degree rotation on the rear turrets) to kite your opponents and dodge return fire. You can use islands to break line-of-sight but you generally don’t want to play in close - you do not want to be surprised at close range in these ships. The torpedoes on the CLs are essentially “suicide“ torpedoes, and they are really only useful when you find yourself surprised at close range or in a hopeless situation where you need to take someone with you. The CAs have similar torpedo armament but actually have the armor to survive using them in close quarters combat.

German cruisers aren’t very picky about captain skills. I would recommend Grease the Gears, Priority Target, Adrenaline Rush, and Concealment Expert as your basic ten point build. Starting with Yorck you will want to have Gun Feeder, as German CA HE is low damage, high pen (except for Yorck herself, which has pretty good HE) while the AP is high damage but struggles against angled targets, so dynamic ammo selection is very important (more so than other CA lines, IMO). I wouldn’t worry about grabbing Superintendent until 14 points, because outside of the repair party available at tier IX and X the value of having the extra consumables is pretty questionable.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Thanks 1

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,278 posts
13,686 battles

German cruisers are fun. Early game is tough to play a close support cruiser role as your concealment is bad pretty much across the line for its tier. Kiting and spamming he is usually a good start and then find the right time to push and get your good ap on broadsides and torps become useful. Your ap doesn’t have good pen unless you get a flat broadside or are in fairly close combat, but when you do it’s very good

[RLGN]
Members
16,590 posts
28,974 battles
1 hour ago, ditka_Fatdog said:

German cruisers are fun. Early game is tough to play a close support cruiser role as your concealment is bad pretty much across the line for its tier. Kiting and spamming he is usually a good start and then find the right time to push and get your good ap on broadsides and torps become useful. Your ap doesn’t have good pen unless you get a flat broadside or are in fairly close combat, but when you do it’s very good

Or play Konigsburg and Nurnburg, dance up a storm and just spam HE.

Not gonna do nothing just waiting to use AP. Treating those two like St Louis (lovely 360 aft turrets ftw,) and Marblehead has stood me in good stead.

[NG-NL]
Members
439 posts
11,372 battles

German cruisers don't grow armor until tier 7 Yorck. With some angling, Hipper can bounce shells that I swear should have chunked half my ship.
At tier 10, "Battleship Hindenburg" is still a thing. It's what I play in Clan Battles.

These ships excel in open water at long range because their shells are so fast that they can consistently hit targets out to max range. Range is also their armor: you have time to dodge shells, and a shell that doesn't hit you is the best defence of all.

German cruisers also excel at very short range, because they have torpedoes and hydro to 6km. At mid tiers, this can let you hide behind an island, abusing a DD on the other side, and threatening a charging BB with mutual destruction. At tier 10, US and Russian cruisers are common because they have radar and can bow-tank nicely. Well, Hindenburg can bow-tank a bit too, and has that lovely turtleback armor, and if the brawl gets inside 6km, I'm the one with torpedoes.
I don't believe there is a good transition away from very short range back to the safety of long range, unless every nearby opponent is sunk. You can do a Jack Russell on that Salem dug in at a key point between islands that nobody else can touch, but otherwise it's an end-game tactic for me.

Beware the middle ranges (10km-ish, depending on tiers) where ships with stronger guns can reliably hit you, where turtleback armor has little value, and where your torpedoes can't reach. Everyone knows that German cruisers have 6km torpedoes.*

German cruisers are my favorite. I wish you much enjoyment and success.

*They tend to forget that Graf Spee is the exception with 8km torpedoes.

• Cool 1

Members
60 posts
1,539 battles

usually play above 15 km out of range of your enemy.

Wiggle

or use a sweat spot between 5-7 km but its high risk high reward

here u can out DPM alot of enemies

I got insta deleted about 3-4 games out of 10.

Here is a actual result from my new NA account with six pts Captain

Cv 44k

Bb 32 k

Two cruisers 26 k

+ 36 k on aircrafts and other ships

20210609_112203.thumb.jpg.2fc677f8455fbc65dbd4aef486da0b6d.jpg

Edited by Captain_Hook_NA