You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RU4Reel5050

Running slow

14 comments in this topic

Members
21 posts
2,220 battles

Shipmates:

Having an issue with WOW running really slow.  It's lagging and FPS are in the teen's just really not any fun playing like this.  It all seemed to start 2 weeks ago when I got a windows update.  Not sure if that is issue or not.  Maybe my cable company is screwing me not sure of that either.  Was thinking of deleting WOW and re installing but would that erase all my stats and start over again?  Not sure again.  An help or ideas would be appreciated.  

[YORHA]
Members
5,446 posts
10,568 battles

Re installing will not cause you to lose anything.  Your ships and stats will be there when you log back in.  But before you do that open the WGC ,  click on "Game Settings" and choose this...

PK5iUDE.png

However my bet is that it is your ISP.  Go to Google and check your download and Upload speeds.  

Edited by JCC45

[GLF]
Members
57 posts
26,964 battles

Try the repair option in the WGC before delete and reinstall.  Also check your available free hard disc or ssd space.  Too little will really slow things down.

Members
5,749 posts
11,418 battles

When it starts to lag pop open Task Manager and see what the ram usage is...  Reinststalling WoWs will not reset stats or the account - all of that info is stored on the server.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,062 posts
22,263 battles
41 minutes ago, RU4Reel5050 said:

Maybe my cable company is screwing me not sure of that either.

Internet speed / lag doesn't affect FPS.

You can delete and reinstall the game fine, all you'll lose are your locally stored replays, screenshots and game settings, but you can back up your replays and screenshots yourself and settings are easily redone. You won't lose your premium time, ships, captains or stats, those are all stored server-side.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,485 posts
45 minutes ago, RU4Reel5050 said:

Shipmates:

Having an issue with WOW running really slow.

Download HWMonitor and see if your CPU and GPU are running within temperature specs. If they are too hot they may be clamping down. This is common with laptops that need cleaning.

Also, speaking of laptops, make sure that the system is set to a gaming mode when WOWS is playing. You may have to run your laptop plugged in to do this. Many laptops will run at a slower speed when under battery power to conserve energy.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLFG]
Members
34,338 posts
10,584 battles
58 minutes ago, RU4Reel5050 said:

Shipmates:

Having an issue with WOW running really slow.  It's lagging and FPS are in the teen's 

If your FPS counter is low, it's not your connection, it's something to do with your PC.

What are you running, what graphics settings are you using, and what FPS do you normally get?

[PVE]
Members
8,795 posts
25,076 battles

Pending Windows 10 updates do it to me...once they finally install all my lagging goes away so my suggestion  that it might be a pending Windows update just lost all traction if it started after 1 of them.

Oddly enough I never had that issue w/the original launcher...it only started doing that after WGC was installed on my computer.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,485 posts
8 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Pending Windows 10 updates do it to me...

People nowadays tend to leave their computers running all the time. However, those of us who started computing back in the days of the Apple II recognize the utility of a good reboot. I'd recommend rebooting your computer at least once a day. Every time my computer starts feeling a bit laggy I reboot it -- most of the time I find that there is a Windows update ready to be installed.

[PVE]
Members
8,795 posts
25,076 battles
25 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

People nowadays tend to leave their computers running all the time. However, those of us who started computing back in the days of the Apple II recognize the utility of a good reboot. I'd recommend rebooting your computer at least once a day. Every time my computer starts feeling a bit laggy I reboot it -- most of the time I find that there is a Windows update ready to be installed.

Already do...hook up at a friend's & can't leave it running.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,864 posts

We are running windows 7 retail on several machines, knoppix on one and winxp retail on a 5th. That last one accomodates games too old for today's computing that may have had killshot updates against them such as the disabling of flash etc.

All of our machines give us win7 functioin however Redmond (Microsoft) has essentially updated them to win10 specs more or less already.

If the internet router and up from there is a problem (Usually once every 18 months when someone takes out a very particular pole with all the fiber to and from the area to it. OR its a problem on my side. I then tether the smartphone USB to the machine and log online and game. If the computer behavior improves immensely being on fiber optic direct Then my own regular internet is the problem. I break out the traceroutes, hops and son etc etc etc.

Windows keeps a certain amount of disc space for itself, page filing memory. I generally stick a new Terabyte SSD on the back motherboards USB 3.0 and assign that to pagefiling. Everything else goes to ram large enough to hold the entire program. I have about 48 that I can use out of 64 total installed. Two modules have burned out which is less of a priority right now the next replacement will take it from DDR 3 to DDR4 realm. And max out the current motherboard that way.

I also keep a raid JBODs in a thunderbolt LAN to the computer. Its generally fast enough or way faster than I can connect to and from the internet so I keep the heavy stuff on the ever growing array. I go to yard sales which should be starting up soon and buy out people's failed cable, Pay TV tvios etc. All of these boxes for a dollar contain a minimum of two tera black hard drive for movie storage in them. Sometimes two drives. So 50 cents a reformatted hard drive beats 150 dollars for retail. Toss them into the array. You generally need special tool bits to access these drives inside proprietary boxes designed to keep people like me out of them. Ive gone Jawa to use a star wars term for hardware these days. Scrap a device to get at something useful for one thats working.

Pocket sized SSD's flash drives to two tera capacity is now all the rage. 60 bucks for one. Slap it onto a computer box and keep on trucking. 40 gig for wows isnt that big. Neither is the 300 or so for windows. Its bloated compared to long ago but thats a given.

I fight piracy or any hint of such by wiping the harddrives. Then disposing of the partition using the old DOS program Edpart followed by DOD standard 10 pass cleaning. Followed by a metal works electro magnet when turned on sucks the  thing to itself and turns the whole platter group into one big fat binary 1 or zero. Sometimes it survives and allows me to rebuild sector blocks and so on etc etc etc. Sometimes they do not and thats where older known good spares with platters in them come into play. There has been no hard drive that has escaped my house for 30 years now. If anyone was that curious to try and harvest stuff that far back and then find out nothing works in the real world... its a waste of their time.

I cannot stand to be bothered with green power drives featuring eco savings. In the previous ice storm we had two months ago we had a 120 mw/peaker turbines running off Nat gas about 5 miles away supporting my power. It was very close near shave against grid capacity here in Arkansas which really isnt that big. We do produce our own power sufficient and ask no ne for it. And certainly when texas comes begging, we are happy to sell them some.

If your online gaming performance is gotten tired, bad or "off" like a cat trying to throw up a hairball and no appetite, take the whole thing off the internet and then visit sits such as Is it down etc and try to understand if your metro region (Like NYC, Austin, LA etc) have level 3 or higher internet problems. Or go down to the internet phone company store and say to them its not working at the house and they will access tools and other things way faster than it takes to make a tech support call that goes no where. I remember a situation where there was no internet on the router anywhere. The ISP finally told the computer store staff to confide in me that the Richardson Texas Datacenter for them suffered a actual fire inside the server room and had to switch away to another one until the firefiughting is finished and the datacenter itself rebuilt then rebooted. OIherwise we are all connected by fiber to that one.

There are now 11 datacenters in the LR Area. Im usually tied to one or another of them. The best ones happen to be on the airbase. However there is a college on there for IT now and they have their own datacenter going up. Thats handy in certain situations.

If anything I am known for nursing old machines along in gaming online more than I have a right to get away with. I had a nice small AMD Processor with two 5770 AMD crossfire cards that were awesome for what they did in those days. I ran on that for years. I could not bring myself to change what was working ok, until we got into battlefield and my tank was summarily destroyed leaving main base by enemy airstrkes. I find out about it when presented with spawn screen.

That was time then to upgrade. But not until that time. Im also upgrading from current old 15 year old video cards because there is a kepler design inside each one of them, they are considered obsolete now for today's gaming. However four of them keep up well enough in my system. SLI. At some point they will get new cards. A minimum of Titan Blacks pair with 16 vram gig size or larger in each one. Populate the other two PCI slots with other needed things. One will take a sound card amp. And drive anything to match my deaf chart. And the other will probably hold a small ram table daughtercard that will store active games way faster than any Raid can do. Unless I find a way to get up towards about 15 to 20 Vertex class SSD's in one big giant raid array fast enough for fiber.

Thats the last thought. They are building out fiber now in Little Rock. Finally. Direct to your home. Theoraticlaly they always had fiber but every 500 homes or so got it at a node. Each home then was served with crappy  metal ethernet that goes out after 10 years or so. Should have gone fiber all the way the first time.

There is also the possibility of space based intenret now. For a couple hundred you can get it at Google and then connect to the worlds internet through the low earth orbit sats above you, thousands are replaced every so many weeks as the old ones reach end of life and burn up for disposable. Theoratically you can download Wows in 10 minutes and play. But you like anything in tech will have to show me first. Im really bad about that.

Edited by xHeavy

[WOLFG]
Members
34,338 posts
10,584 battles
14 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

People nowadays tend to leave their computers running all the time. However, those of us who started computing back in the days of the Apple II recognize the utility of a good reboot. I'd recommend rebooting your computer at least once a day.

Ctrl-alt-delete was chicken soup for your PC lol.

I just turn mine off when I'm done with it, probably a legacy from my humble beginnings as a console peasant lol.

As an aside, does anyone know of a remote control app better than Google, that'll run on an Android tablet?

It's getting nice out at night, and our deck is finished, the gazebo is up, and a new tank on the fire table, when the wife goes to bed, it would be nice to sit outside and game.

Edited by Skpstr

[WORX]
Members
14,124 posts
20,570 battles
On 4/17/2021 at 6:20 AM, RU4Reel5050 said:

Maybe my cable company is screwing me not sure of that either.

More then likely it is but its screwing equally with everyone on the network...

Uninstalling will not erase your progress... Reinstalling will reset your settings...
I would choose the reinstall only as a last resort when all other troubleshooting options have been exhausted...

Edited by Navalpride33

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,485 posts
37 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Ctrl-alt-delete was chicken soup for your PC lol.

My favorite game when I was in grad school was "Digger." I'd stay at the museum late into the night playing that thing. The program had no "exit" function though so the only way to get out of it was to shut off or reboot the computer.