You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Chados

Yūdachi: Resurrection

7 comments in this topic

[SRPH]
Members
181 posts
2,299 battles

WG:

I’ve been watching CC reviews of ZF-6, and you have created an outright pay-to-win situation there. Five guns with a four second reload and 5.8km concealment with CE, over 20k hit points, eight torpedoes that reload in 100 seconds and travel at what looks like at least 70 knots over 8km with torp concealment that appears to be 1.5km or less, plus main battery reload booster that turns it into a bullet hose rivaling Smolensk, plus smoke, plus great AA for tier. It’s another lolimeme pocket cruiser like the Angry Smoke Cloud of Death, Paolo Emilio. Only without the Tasmanian Devil’s fragility. 

Yūdachi is at T7, which means it sees T9 ships like ZF-6 constantly. It also has a 100 second reload on eight tubes with a 15km reach and has the torpedo reload booster. But the TRB recycles in 3 1/2 minutes, so its utility is limited, but worse is that its torpedoes travel at 57 knots and have a 1.9km concealment. There is nothing that can’t avoid that. It’s routine to launch 24 torpedoes in a match and land zero, or maybe one or two. You’ve got to be in suicide range, inside 2-3 km, and have Swift Fish on your commander, to have a real chance of landing torpedoes. Its 127mm main battery reloads in nine seconds, so it can’t effectively gunfight. The cruiser Myōkō, also at T7, has a 7.5 second reload on its identical 127mm secondaries and has 10km, 59 knot torpedoes with better concealment. The destroyer Akatsuki, likewise on its 127mm guns and it has six rather than five. The tech tree Shiriatsuyu, likewise, and both have shorter range, faster torpedoes with better torpedo concealment. And of course, Yūdachi doesn’t have good AA. T5 Mutsuki has better AA and better torpedoes. Seriously?

There are two simple fixes that will make Yūdachi competitive without making it OP. Reduce 127mm reload to 7.5 seconds, and reduce torpedo concealment to 1.5km. Memeboats like ZF-6 will still be able to run over it and dance on the remains in hobnailed boots, but it’ll be able to survive uptiered matches without being stronger than its tech tree sister and half sister other than its gimmick, fast torpedo reload once or twice while being able to use smoke. But that gimmick is worthless when its torpedoes can’t hit anything. I wouldn’t complain if its torp range was reduced to 10km, frankly, for the concealment boost. The only thing in 50 drops that 15km range has ever got for me is being turned pink when a friendly blunders into a spread 14.7km downrange after I missed with 16 torpedoes launched inside 8km because even an American standard battleship has time to comb the spread from broadside at anything outside 4km if its captain isn’t zoned in on something else. 

Don’t get me wrong, Yūdachi is one of my favorite destroyers. I don’t regret the buy at all, as I play co-op main and can exploit its strengths in a close range knife fight, one or two hits from torpedoes at point blank range give it just enough of a sting to be playable and I like its maneuverability, and I’m used to running weak Italian light cruisers in co-op matches. Next to the Ducas, Yūdachi is OP for me. I’d never take her into a random match, though. Not for love nor money, it’d be nothing more than an experience piñata for even mediocre random mains. It just bugs me to see you all release a 3,000 doubloon, pure pay to win, premium memeboat,  yet gimp a destroyer that will see it two games out of every three in the name of *not* releasing overpowered premiums. Come on, guys. This is a spreadsheet fix. 

Edited by Chados
Goofed on the gun count. It’s 5, not 8.
  • Cool 2

[WPORT]
Members
10,953 posts
15,451 battles

:Smile_veryhappy::cap_hmm::cap_popcorn:

[SRPH]
Members
181 posts
2,299 battles

I know, I know. I’m beating a dead horse. Don’t hate me because I’m beautiful, kk?

I like Yūdachi for co-op craziness, I seriously do. Better than Leone, which I really like, but not better than Anshan, which is just amazing and twirls like a ballerina doing the Nutcracker Suite. But darnit, I hate hypocrisy. That just hit me in my “darn hypocrites” bone. Blame Notser, it was watching his review with my morning coffee that set me off. 

Edited by Chados

[WPORT]
Members
10,953 posts
15,451 battles
38 minutes ago, Chados said:

I know, I know. I’m beating a dead horse. Don’t hate me because I’m beautiful, kk?

I like Yūdachi for co-op craziness, I seriously do. Better than Leone, which I really like, but not better than Anshan, which is just amazing and twirls like a ballerina doing the Nutcracker Suite. But darnit, I hate hypocrisy. That just hit me in my “darn hypocrites” bone. Blame Notser, it was watching his review with my morning coffee that set me off. 

I have the Yudachi and sail her occasionally.  I like her, if for no other reason than I like the Kantai Collection anime' version of Yudachi and the chance to say "Poi" in chat during a match.

In WOWs, Yudachi needs some careful selection of ship modules, upgrades and Captain's skills to develop her full potential.

In the past I've enjoyed using the torpedo reload boost to blap a pair of BB's while sailing between them.   魚雷命中   "Gyorai meichuu!"

Your original topic-starting post is good food for thought regarding the 'power creep' of various ships, though.

• Thanks 1

[SRPH]
Members
181 posts
2,299 battles

I agree, it needs a high tier captain (do not have yet) to shine. 

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
3,058 posts
27,797 battles

The thing you have to remember is that Yudachi also potentially sees Tier 5 and 6 because of the +/- 2 MM. I think a +/- 1 MM might make ships easier to balance. 

[SRPH]
Members
181 posts
2,299 battles

That’s true, and when it is top tier it can hold its own. Maybe it’s just me, I seem to be bottom tier most of the time.