Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HEYO19191

Malewarebytes Falsely Detects Parts of Updates as Trojans

10 comments in this topic

[1H8ML]
Members
94 posts
1,000 battles

Ever since I first downloaded WoWs, my Anti-Virus software, malewarebytes, will occasionally detect parts of WoWs updates as a trojan. I'm certain that these are false-positives, but I'm not sure if I
should whitelist them, as I've never experienced any issues with the game due to one of the false positives.

image.thumb.png.3ec179f3b0712b8835ddccf47d8bcfd8.png

[GWG]
Members
7,740 posts
14,783 battles

One of the reasons I dropped out of the game for a while was the impression that the more I played, the more attempts there were at hacking my machines.

My Intruder Alerts were going off while I was playing and actually shut off the game feed.  They also went off while I wasn't playing as well.

So I stopped playing and the Intruder notices died off to nothing within a week.
My impression is that someone with a lot of network savvy has it in for WG,  Or maybe it's the competition attacking frequent users here.

Complaining to WG is useless since they have nothing to do with it.  It's industrial warfare.  Welcome to the 21st century.

• Thanks 1

[WORX]
Members
14,168 posts
20,676 battles
37 minutes ago, HEYO19191 said:

Ever since I first downloaded WoWs, my Anti-Virus software, malewarebytes, will occasionally detect parts of WoWs updates as a trojan. I'm certain that these are false-positives, but I'm not sure if I
should whitelist them, as I've never experienced any issues with the game due to one of the false positives.

image.thumb.png.3ec179f3b0712b8835ddccf47d8bcfd8.png

AVN does the same thing... No issues reported by them...

Supertester
4,266 posts
4,646 battles
2 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

One of the reasons I dropped out of the game for a while was the impression that the more I played, the more attempts there were at hacking my machines.

My Intruder Alerts were going off while I was playing and actually shut off the game feed.  They also went off while I wasn't playing as well.

So I stopped playing and the Intruder notices died off to nothing within a week.
My impression is that someone with a lot of network savvy has it in for WG,  Or maybe it's the competition attacking frequent users here.

Complaining to WG is useless since they have nothing to do with it.  It's industrial warfare.  Welcome to the 21st century.

It's a false positive, no hacking whatsoever...

[GWG]
Members
7,740 posts
14,783 battles
8 hours ago, Noshiro_ said:

It's a false positive, no hacking whatsoever...

Actually, it's shutting down my game...   SO IT'S VERY EFFECTIVE.

What you are suggesting is that WG is INTENTIONALLY doing this so folks will unprotect their machines to play.
Either that, or the Computer Security people are INTENTIONALLY doing this to make us stop playing computer games.
Neither one makes sense.  What's happening is that these 'hackers' aren't hacking at all. 
They are trying to slip packets into our machines while WOWS is running, overloading the Intrusion Protection, and causing a disconnect.
They aren't trying to get into our machines, they are creating alarms that prioritize protection over gameplay. 
The game communications develops lags, gets jumpy, then shuts off in the middle of a game.
Like I said, it's either a disgruntled group of anti-WG advocates, or competition.

[1H8ML]
Members
94 posts
1,000 battles
1 hour ago, AVR_Project said:

Actually, it's shutting down my game...   SO IT'S VERY EFFECTIVE.

What you are suggesting is that WG is INTENTIONALLY doing this so folks will unprotect their machines to play.
Either that, or the Computer Security people are INTENTIONALLY doing this to make us stop playing computer games.
Neither one makes sense.  What's happening is that these 'hackers' aren't hacking at all. 
They are trying to slip packets into our machines while WOWS is running, overloading the Intrusion Protection, and causing a disconnect.
They aren't trying to get into our machines, they are creating alarms that prioritize protection over gameplay. 
The game communications develops lags, gets jumpy, then shuts off in the middle of a game.
Like I said, it's either a disgruntled group of anti-WG advocates, or competition.

I've never experienced issues with my Anti-malware dectecting something during the game, only when it was updating. The person you quoted did not in anyway way suggest that WG is intentionally doing this so folks will unprotect their machines to play. I don't believe that either of the possible reasons for these false-positives that you suggested are plausible.

It's likely that your Anti-malware service is strangely getting false-postitives when the game is running, and because of this, it's slowing down your system, and thus lagging and crashing your game. This is likely because whenever your anti-malware service detects something fishy, it not only quarentines that item, but also does a scan to try to find other suspicous things. This scan will slow down your computer greatly, and it's probably the reason your game gets laggy and crashes. I'm sure there's something in your Anti-malware's settings that will allow you to disable it from automatically conducting a scan.

I'd go as far to say it'd literally be impossible for a disgruntled group of anti-WG advocates or competition to do this.

[-BTP-]
Members
395 posts
13,139 battles

I have the same thing with updates. It blocks some of the updates, but has not affected, the running of the game.

Sign in to follow this