You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tangofan

Skipping research of some modules for low-tier ships?

4 comments in this topic

[BTLST]
Members
308 posts
7,243 battles

Other than the (dubious IMHO) benefit of earning ship elite XP, are there any benefits to researching those modules that aren't necessary to unlock higher-tier ships in a low-tier (1-4) ship, e.g. the gun--fire control system in a Caledon? Playing those tiers (in coop) seems to be always a bit dreary and not really representative of what happens in tier 5 and above. And after going through tier 1-4 for a few lines, I don't have the sense that I'm learning anything there either.

[WOLF3]
Members
31,765 posts
26,651 battles

It depends.  A lot of people just want to get out of low tier, so doing anything that prolongs being there is just stretching out the misery.  Sure, you won't be using ships with their max capability, but if your interest was never low tier, than that's fine.

It's only if you like staying, and playing there, that's where you should want to fully research and upgrade the ships there.  Events that had low tier as eligible tiers to complete missions, campaigns have been very rare.  For the last several years, we've had ONE campaign that had low tier requirements.  Outside that, nothing else.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[O_O]
Members
7,121 posts
17,802 battles

Spending the XP to upgrade Tier 2-4 ships has limited returns on investment.

If your objective is to advance quickly, don't do it.  The XP will be better served for advancing to the next tier.

If you happen to enjoy a particular low tier ship (and there are several worthy candidates), you would be foolish to not fully upgrade said ship(s) to enjoy all they are capable of.

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,841 posts
24,467 battles
55 minutes ago, tangofan said:

Other than the (dubious IMHO) benefit of earning ship elite XP, are there any benefits to researching those modules that aren't necessary to unlock higher-tier ships in a low-tier (1-4) ship, e.g. the gun--fire control system in a Caledon? Playing those tiers (in coop) seems to be always a bit dreary and not really representative of what happens in tier 5 and above. And after going through tier 1-4 for a few lines, I don't have the sense that I'm learning anything there either.

3 reasons:

OCD.

Going to keep the ship.

Make the grind easier.

I recently reset the IJN gunboat dd line.

I did not upgrade the gfcs under tier 8. I wanted lower detection.

I did not upgrade a few torps. If the range was better, I upgraded, but usually the range was the same but higher damage.

The higher damage torps came with longer reload and worse detection.

So you have to really look and see what is better.

A bb with shorter range may not tell the whole story behind the upgrade.