MN1234

Feel like a sucker

25 comments in this topic

[USAGW]
[USAGW]
Members
34 posts
5,054 battles

I feel like a sucker playing Randoms. No matter what I do, no matter how I change things up I will 8 times out of 10 find myself isolated and getting the crap shot out of me.  I call for assistance and most of the time it's ignored. Granted, some players are fighting for their lives and can't help me and I do get an attempt at support from time to time.

The teammates that were behind me approaching an area are suddenly gone and I have no support. Usually if I survive I find my teammates on the other side of the map.

I'm not a great player but not a bad one either. I just trust my teammates too much I guess.

I'd like some feedback if you all would be so kind. Thank you.

• Haha 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,066 posts
22,298 battles

Sounds to me like an aggression problem. Pushing too much, too early.

Edited by Lert
  • Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,159 posts
20,058 battles

Become hyper sensitive to the mini map. Make it your friend. I expanded the size of mine to about 1/4” of the screen on transparent. Unless you div with clan mates in voice or see recognizable players who carry well. Play like it’s you against the red team and a team of green players who slightly better than 50% going to be eliminated early.

• Cool 1

[USAGW]
[USAGW]
Members
34 posts
5,054 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Sounds to me like an aggression problem. Pushing too much, too early.

That is part of it, I'm sure. I starting playing BBs to slow myself down and I do much better but I still get left and have to fight on my own occasionally. Teammates will say "Capture C" and I head to C but once I get there in my DD I can't get in position before I'm whacked. Some have said "hang back" until I learn the game a little better, but that's hard for me to do without getting told to cap, cap, cap!

[WORX]
Members
14,126 posts
20,570 battles
3 minutes ago, MN1234 said:

I feel like a sucker playing Randoms. No matter what I do, no matter how I change things up I will 8 times out of 10 find myself isolated and getting the crap shot out of me.  I call for assistance and most of the time it's ignored. Granted, some players are fighting for their lives and can't help me and I do get an attempt at support from time to time.

The teammates that were behind me approaching an area are suddenly gone and I have no support. Usually if I survive I find my teammates on the other side of the map.

I'm not a great player but not a bad one either. I just trust my teammates too much I guess.

Few things... It may help...

1. Pay attention to the mini map.
    • This also means react or adapt to the situation in the minimap..
      • This is not an easy thing to do at first. Its also dependent on what tier you play.
  2. Know your ship class and their role in battle. (both in your fleet and in the red fleet.
  3. You got to know where to go and not travel by your lonesome.
  4. Curb your aggression or push
    • This also means know when to push and when to eject.

Overall every match is that "Random."  Not every match will have the exact situations or players... So if you messed up once match, the next match will not develop as your last. 

Anything in specific the guys will help you out...

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,159 posts
20,058 battles
1 minute ago, MN1234 said:

Some have said "hang back" until I learn the game a little better, but that's hard for me to do without getting told to cap, cap, cap!

If your in a BB and it’s early, resist that call to “cap cap cap” No DD, cruiser screens or air support capping in a BB is a quick ticket back to port with little or nothing to show for your efforts.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,066 posts
22,298 battles
4 minutes ago, MN1234 said:

That is part of it, I'm sure. I starting playing BBs to slow myself down and I do much better but I still get left and have to fight on my own occasionally. Teammates will say "Capture C" and I head to C but once I get there in my DD I can't get in position before I'm whacked. Some have said "hang back" until I learn the game a little better, but that's hard for me to do without getting told to cap, cap, cap!

When you're a top tier heavy ship, it's your job to be a bit more aggressive, but never to the point of outpacing your support. Keep an eye on the minimap, keep track of where your teammates are, and don't go off alone without support. If you find yourself without some support, you've pushed too far.

When you're in a bottom tier heavy ship, it's your job to support the top tier heavy ships on your team. You are the support. Lend your firepower to their targets, or - 'dissuade' enemies from sinking your team's heavy hitters.

I'm not a good DD player so I'll refrain from giving you broad tips about that class, except the following two tidbits: 1) Just because someone tells you to do something in chat doesn't mean you have to do it - or right away. You're driving your ship, they're driving theirs. (This goes the other way around when you tell someone else to do something) ... 2) Always have an out. If you're in a situation where you find yourself without an out, you've pushed too far. Notice how good players when you start doing damage to them always find a way to go behind a rock, go dark, hide in smoke or get out of your range? Yeah ...

• Cool 1

[USAGW]
[USAGW]
Members
34 posts
5,054 battles
1 minute ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

If your in a BB and it’s early, resist that call to “cap cap cap” No DD, cruiser screens or air support capping in a BB is a quick ticket back to port with little or nothing to show for your efforts.

I will cap in anything if I get the chance. I've capped in CVs several times when it was safe. I had a battle today where I capped in my BB, but it was a low tier random and the guys were noobs. In those cases though the battle was close to over or as I said, safe.

I've tried the assassin role too, but that's where the suggestion to use the minimap better will come in. The problem is I have over 1000 battles in random but it's like one step forward two steps back

[USAGW]
[USAGW]
Members
34 posts
5,054 battles
7 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Few things... It may help...

1. Pay attention to the mini map.
    • This also means react or adapt to the situation in the minimap..
      • This is not an easy thing to do at first. Its also dependent on what tier you play.
  2. Know your ship class and their role in battle. (both in your fleet and in the red fleet.
  3. You got to know where to go and not travel by your lonesome.
  4. Curb your aggression or push
    • This also means know when to push and when to eject.

Overall every match is that "Random."  Not every match will have the exact situations or players... So if you messed up once match, the next match will not develop as your last. 

Anything in specific the guys will help you out...

Thanks! 

[USAGW]
[USAGW]
Members
34 posts
5,054 battles
13 minutes ago, Lert said:

When you're a top tier heavy ship, it's your job to be a bit more aggressive, but never to the point of outpacing your support. Keep an eye on the minimap, keep track of where your teammates are, and don't go off alone without support. If you find yourself without some support, you've pushed too far.

When you're in a bottom tier heavy ship, it's your job to support the top tier heavy ships on your team. You are the support. Lend your firepower to their targets, or - 'dissuade' enemies from sinking your team's heavy hitters.

I'm not a good DD player so I'll refrain from giving you broad tips about that class, except the following two tidbits: 1) Just because someone tells you to do something in chat doesn't mean you have to do it - or right away. You're driving your ship, they're driving theirs. (This goes the other way around when you tell someone else to do something) ... 2) Always have an out. If you're in a situation where you find yourself without an out, you've pushed too far. Notice how good players when you start doing damage to them always find a way to go behind a rock, go dark, hide in smoke or get out of your range? Yeah ...

I think you hit on something here, and it goes with the support issue. I have not really put a lot of thought into an escape route before I enter an area other than backing into a cap. I usually start looking when it's too late.

Edited by MN1234

[SALVO]
Members
8,982 posts
6,672 battles
29 minutes ago, MN1234 said:

Not long ago I learned about a stat of mine that was quite revealing... I survive 94% of the matches I win.

That moment I understood that me surviving was a vital factor on me winning. As a first step focus your gameplay first on surviving, as long as you are alive you have an opportunity to win.

Needles to say surviving isn't the same as not taking risk and hanging on the back of the map. Just be aware of those situations that might cost you your ship and try to have a way out, live to fight the next fight 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,066 posts
22,298 battles
5 minutes ago, MN1234 said:

I have not really put a lot of thought into an escape route before I enter an area.

tbh it's a pretty advanced skill requiring a lot of situational awareness.

• Cool 1

[USAGW]
[USAGW]
Members
34 posts
5,054 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

tbh it's a pretty advanced skill requiring a lot of situational awareness.

But it might be a key factor in why I get wacked so often.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,066 posts
22,298 battles
Just now, MN1234 said:

But it might be a key factor in why I get wacked so often.

Something to work on then :)

There's no shame in disengaging. Holding your fire and going dark. Good players do it all the time when they're being shot at.

• Cool 1

[USAGW]
[USAGW]
Members
34 posts
5,054 battles
8 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Not long ago I learned about a stat of mine that was quite revealing... I survive 94% of the matches I win.

That moment I understood that me surviving was a vital factor on me winning. As a first step focus your gameplay first on surviving, as long as you are alive you have an opportunity to win.

Needles to say surviving isn't the same as not taking risk and hanging on the back of the map. Just be aware of those situations that might cost you your ship and try to have a way out, live to fight the next fight 

I often criticize those players who stay at the back of the map so they can increase their chance to survive (not on chat). I guess I'm the opposite. I need to find a balance.

Edited by MN1234
  • Cool 1

[DHO-2]
Beta Testers
1,250 posts
11,232 battles
24 minutes ago, MN1234 said:

I often criticize those players who stay at the back of the map so they can increase their chance to survive (not on chat). I guess I'm the opposite. I need to find a balance.

On a separate and different issue.  

Today I had a DD smoke up when confronted by 2 DD.  The team lost all visibility on that flank and the Daring just sat there.  The other team's Gearing and Daring drops torps into the smoke.  I'm amazed this tier X DDs sat idle with 2 active DDs nearby.  When I called him out on it, the response was to shame my states, rather than admit the error of smoke camping.

I'm undecided if I should leave WOWS, or turn off chat (or other)  Chat is toxic, fun gameplay is too dependant on the team and/or MM, and too many broken mechanics to count.

GL.

• Cool 2

[USAGW]
[USAGW]
Members
34 posts
5,054 battles
8 minutes ago, madgiecool said:

On a separate and different issue.  

Today I had a DD smoke up when confronted by 2 DD.  The team lost all visibility on that flank and the Daring just sat there.  The other team's Gearing and Daring drops torps into the smoke.  I'm amazed this tier X DDs sat idle with 2 active DDs nearby.  When I called him out on it, the response was to shame my states, rather than admit the error of smoke camping.

I'm undecided if I should leave WOWS, or turn off chat (or other)  Chat is toxic, fun gameplay is too dependant on the team and/or MM, and too many broken mechanics to count.

GL.

Yeah, it seams like too many people don't know the meaning of teamwork. When I was in the Army we were trained to pick up the slack for our weaker teammates and help them along.  If we screwed the pooch ourselves we took responsibility for it. I am amazed at the attitudes of some players. I've even had teammates torp me which had to be intentional. I've also had teammates intentionally sail into my path to take a kill away from me. Just today I had a guy block me in my failing smoke against an island which left me a sitting duck for the CA bearing down on me.

Edited by MN1234
  • Thanks 2

[DHO-2]
Beta Testers
1,250 posts
11,232 battles

Yeah, it seams like too many people don't know the meaning of teamwork. When I was in the Army we were trained to pick up the slack for our weaker teammates and help them along.  If we screwed the pooch ourselves we took responsibility for it. I am amazed at the attitudes of some players. I've even had teammates torp me on what had to be intentional. I've also had teammates intentionally sail into my path to take a kill away from me. Just today I had a guy block me in my failing smoke against an island which left me a sitting duck for the CA bearing down on me.

The best games are definitely in Divs.   :Smile_great:    I need to find more players in my time zone.  But also kind of over wows (undecided).  

Thank you for your army service.     :Smile_medal:

FYI - NZ is having our equivalent of veterans day on April 25.  A day of remembrance and a few beers, while exchanging stories.. a very cool time.

GL    :Smile_playing:

[USAGW]
[USAGW]
Members
34 posts
5,054 battles
3 minutes ago, madgiecool said:

The best games are definitely in Divs.   :Smile_great:    I need to find more players in my time zone.  But also kind of over wows (undecided).  

Thank you for your army service.     :Smile_medal:

FYI - NZ is having our equivalent of veterans day on April 25.  A day of remembrance and a few beers, while exchanging stories.. a very cool time.

GL    :Smile_playing:

Thank you and thank your vets for their service from me and my brothers and sisters of the 10th MP Battalion US Army

I was done with WOWS today, but you know, It's been the good people here that keep me giving it another chance.

Edited by MN1234
  • Cool 1

[DHO-2]
Beta Testers
1,250 posts
11,232 battles

Thank you and thank your vets for their service from me and my brothers and sisters of the 10th MP Battalion US Army

I was done with WOWS today, but you know, It's been the good people here that keep me giving it another chance.

As a Jack Reacher fan, I'm a big supporter of MP's... he was from the 110th... Are you sure you didn't drop a 1?    :Smile_trollface:

[USAGW]
[USAGW]
Members
34 posts
5,054 battles

My clan mates are pretty good but I'm new to the clan and my availability is spotty so I usually play alone. They are active but I don't have high enough teirs yet for where they udually play

• Cool 1

[USAGW]
[USAGW]
Members
34 posts
5,054 battles
1 minute ago, madgiecool said:

As a Jack Reacher fan, I'm a big supporter of MP's... he was from the 110th... Are you sure you didn't drop a 1?    :Smile_trollface:

10th Military Police Battalion (CID) (Airborne)

10mp-cid.gifThe 10th Military Police Battalion (Criminal Investigation Division) (Airborne) provides criminal investigative support to military commanders in both war and peace time environments. As of 2010, the 10th Military Police Battalion consists of a Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, the 12th Military Police Detachment, 32nd Military Police Detachment, 37th Military Police Detachment, 87th Military Police Detachment (Airborne), and the Fort Gordon and Fort Lee Resident Agencies.

• Thanks 1

[RLGN]
Members
16,590 posts
28,974 battles
8 minutes ago, MN1234 said:

+1 for being a Tick fan.

’Cooperation’ comes and goes.

As mentioned above, I play as if it’s me against 12; but at the same time I watch for opportunities, especially when driving a destroyer. If I see someone nearby in trouble, and I’m close enough, I’ll go over and smoke them up, for which I occasionally even get thanked.

If you’re a hard core soloist, (something like 0.004 of my games in divisions?) then cooperation is catch as catch can.

Some of the players I divisioned with are still around, but I don’t think I’ve played in one for a year or more.

• Thanks 1

[USAGW]
[USAGW]
Members
34 posts
5,054 battles
2 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

+1 for being a Tick fan.

’Cooperation’ comes and goes.

As mentioned above, I play as if it’s me against 12; but at the same time I watch for opportunities, especially when driving a destroyer. If I see someone nearby in trouble, and I’m close enough, I’ll go over and smoke them up, for which I occasionally even get thanked.

If you’re a hard core soloist, (something like 0.004 of my games in divisions?) then cooperation is catch as catch can.

Some of the players I divisioned with are still around, but I don’t think I’ve played in one for a year or more.

Gotta love the Tick! SPOON!!

I try to help with smoke and spotting too. I need practice sailing with a group tho, that's for sure.

• Cool 2

[WPORT]
Members
10,953 posts
15,451 battles
13 hours ago, MN1234 said:

Co-op = a frenzy to do the most damage and sink the most ships in the shortest amount of time.  'Bots never lack for courage.

Randoms = human players try to be "sneaky" and "cunning" and "patient" and "cool" while often not being aggressive enough to make or take advantage of fleeting opportunities.  'Bots still don't lack for courage.

Both game modes offer lessons to learn.  

The increase in the number of opponents when going from co-op to randoms adds more ships to keep track of.
High-tier battles involve ships which can deal significant damage or outright sink a ship with one or two main-battery salvos.  Low-tier battles are more forgiving in this respect.

Good marksmanship is vital in whatever game mode one is playing.
So is map positioning and managing one's detection radius and managing the number of opponents who are in a position to shoot at your ship.
If you must be detected, try to use terrain to protect your ship from being in a cross-fire.
If you have no terrain, then maneuver.  Even a BB can maneuver enough to dodge a torpedo salvo or incoming long-range gunfire.  Dodging a portion of incoming ordnance is better than getting hit by all of it.

Timing.
Timing goes hand in hand with map positioning.  Time your shots for best advantage.  Track your opponents firing cycles, too.  
If you've pushed ahead and need to come-about, then do so just after an opposing BB has fired (because now you've got 30 seconds while they reload to make your turn, eh?).

Speed.
"All-ahead, all the time" is fun.
But, it turns out that controlling one's speed may help one control the engagement.
(For example, I'm in a BB and want to make a "jousting" pass versus an opposing BB.  But I'm full ahead and just fired my guns at a different ship and need 30 seconds to reload.  If I remain at full speed, I'll not be reloaded in time to have my guns loaded and aligned by the time the opposing ship has passed me broadside-to-broadside.  So, I reduce speed and adjust my approach so that the timing will work in my favor, and perhaps my opponent will even be over-eager enough to shoot at my bow instead of my broadside.  If I do it right, I'll be able to put a full salvo of AP into the opponent's broadside, either in their engine space or into their magazine.)

Hope this helps.

Good luck, have fun, and I hope to see you on the virtual seas.  :-)

Sign in to follow this