You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Preview - Yukon (LIVE!)

119 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
12,726 posts
10,843 battles

dlt7PdJ.jpg

The following is a PREVIEW of HMCS Yukon, the tier VII Canadian Famous & Historical Monarch-class battleship.  This ship has been provided to me by Wargaming for testing purposes -- I did not have to pay to get access to her.  To the best of my knowledge, the statistics discussed in this review are accurate as of April 16th, 2021 (Patch 0.10.3).  HOWEVER, Yukon is very much a Work in Progress with everything about her subject to change.  All of the performance discussed in this review is merely supposition based off the in-port stats only.  It does not reflect any game play experience with the ship.

Hiho lads and lasses.  HMCS Yukon has made it to the live server for testing.  Now, the changes made to the Community Contributor program forbid me from discussing my game play experiences with her.  Fortunately, I have showed legendary amounts of restraint and I have not yet played her.  This means I can go over her Work-in-Progress in-port statistics (that are all subject to change)  Instead, I thought I would give you all a very early preview of what this new test ship looks like and compare her to the guesswork from my earlier article.

To be 100% clear: 

• I have not played this ship yet.
  • All of the information in this article comes from in-port statistics only along with some data-mining from GameModels3d.com and wowsft.com.
  • Everything about Yukon is subject to change.  Everything.

Options

So there was one significant difference from my earlier guess with Yukon and that was how her Repair Party worked.

Consumables

dB6kbjK.png

• Yukon's Damage Control Party will be identical to those found on most battleships with a 15s active period, an 80s reset timer and unlimited charges.
  • Her Specialized Repair Team is the same heal found on Lion and Conqueror.  If data-mined stats are to be believed, this has ridiculous high levels of efficiency, queuing up 10% of citadel damage, 75% OF PENETRATION DAMAGE and 100% of everything else.  On top of this, it heals back upwards of 40% of Yukon's hit points over 20 seconds.  It comes with three charges and an 80 second reset timer.
  • In her third slot, you have the choice between a Spotter Aircraft and a Catapult Fighter.  The former will come with 4 charges, boosting her main battery range by 20% for 100s with a 240s reset timer.  The latter is an improvement over Famous & Historical Monarch's fighters, launching an additional aircraft for a total of four which will orbit on station for 60s.  It will have three charges and a 90s reset timer.

Okay, real-talk time:  I have no way of confirming that 75% value short of taking gamemodels3d.com at their word.  They have been wrong before.  For example, gamemodels3d.com is still showing improper armour values on Yukon with their preview system, so maybe this 75% thing is false.  The only way to know will be to take it into battle and I won't be able to confirm what I find there for you.  If this 75% thing is true, whoa.  I was expecting the 60% found on Nelson and I wouldn't have been surprised if it was only 50%.  So this is something worth keeping an eye on for certain and it's the kind of thing I'll be testing thoroughly.

Upgrades

There's nothing out of the ordinary here.

Camouflage

TC6i4YS.png

Yukon has (disappointingly) showed up in port without a skin.  She has camouflage, but there's no "look" to it -- it's the same as a naked tech-tree ship.  This isn't uncommon with early versions of test ships.  As far as I can tell, she's still just a clone of Famous & Historical Monarch without any geometry changes.  Her camouflage options provide the usual tier VII bonuses of:

• -3% to surface detectability range.
  • +4% to maximum dispersion of shells fired by the enemy at your ship.
  • -10% to the cost of ship's post-battle service
  • +50% to experience earned in the battle

There's no sign of any alternate "gross nationalism" camouflage (yet).  Maybe one's coming?  Maybe her default camo will be the only one available.

vW10PnJ.jpg
Booooring.

Firepower

Main Battery:  3x3 381mm/45 guns in an A-B-X superfiring configuration
Secondary Battery:  Sixteen 133mm/50 guns in 4x2 turrets arranged in superfiring pairs fore and aft on each side of the ship straddling the two superstructures.

No more supposition.  We now have some in-game stats to look at.  A lot of Yukon's stuff clones Famous & Historical Monarch, such as her gun handling, firing arcs, etc.  But her main battery guns are very different:

0JpJPEp.jpg
Comparing Yukon (left), Famous & Historical Monarch (middle) and Hood (right).  Note that I had Aiming System Modification 1 installed on Famous & Historical Monarch so her dispersion is smaller than a stock vessel.

So, lots to talk about here.  Yukon's guns appear to differ from Famous & Historical Monarch's in the following ways:

1. Yukon's range is terrible.  Yukon has a reach of 15.7km in this test-iteration (Work in Progress, guys, subject to change so don't rage yet).  This is painfully short ranged.  Orion, the tier IV British battleship has 15.8km.  According to gamemodels3d.com (and backed by wowsft.com, the actual range she has is 15.65km, so yeah... she barely managed that 0.7.  We'll see how this feels to play.  I'm going to take a wild stab at "not comfortable" but we'll see if this hypothesis holds true when I get my hands on her.
  2. Reload Time:  At 30 seconds, this is about what I expected.  It means that out of my guess-DPM charts, the bottom one was accurate.
  3. HE Shell Performance:  It's nice being right sometimes.  It looks like Yukon got Hood's HE shells, exactly as predicted.  I admit I was surprised with the muzzle velocity difference and I really shouldn't have been.  Yukon will be cloning Hood's HE performance entirely.  So that means worse penetration, worse shell damage and a slightly weaker fire chance.  Good.
  4. Dispersion:  The 216m looks like an improvement but it's not.  Yukon appears to conform to standard Royal Navy horizontal dispersion patterns ([range in km] x 10 + 60).  I was hoping to be pleasantly surprised here and see her with Warspite / Queen Elizabeth's / Hood's dispersion but oh well. 
  5. Sigma:  This information is NOT available in port and comes from data-mine sources.  Using gamemodels3d.com and wowsft.com both agree that her sigma value is 1.9.  Famous & Historical Monarch only has 1.8.  Again, I MUST stress that these third party sites do get things wrong on occasion, so take this value with a big pinch of salt.  Yukon should be more accurate than Famous & Historical Monarch, however, a difference of 0.1 sigma is generally beyond the perception of players to distinguish in gameplay and is something I like to refer to as a "spreadsheet stat".  While it does affect performance, it's something that's really only visible over the course of many many games.  It's something the devs will see and MAYBE you might be able to tease it out by playing back to back games alternating between Famous & Historical Monarch and Yukon over the course of a month.
  6. Expensive Shells:  This information is NOT available in port and comes from data-mine sources.  Yukon's shells are more expensive than Famous & Historical Monarch's.  Apparently they cost 120 credits per shell while Famous & Historical Monarch's are only 90 credits.  Again, something to double check the first time I take her out, I suppose.
  7. Ricocheting HE Shells:  This information is NOT available in port and comes from data-mine sources. So... according to both wowsft.com and gamemodels3d.com, Yukon's HE shells can ricochet.  Yeah.  I'll believe it when I see it.  But it's there in the datamine stuff.  This is the kind of thing that I seldom get to talk about when play-testing because it's on that checklist of things to verify that quickly gets forgotten when it proves to invariably be false.  I have NEVER seen this before.

Z8CzQDA.jpg

Note how Yukon kept Famous & Historical Monarch's short AP fuse timers.

Alright, so what can we learn from all of this?  Well, Yukon's stupidly-short range is going to be one Hell of an obstacle to overcome.  Her Spotter Aircraft will be a must, giving her a maximum reach of 18.78km for a brief spell.  I'm seriously considering taking the Spotter Aircraft Modification 1 special upgrade for the first time ever on a ship.  Congrats, Wargaming, you finally made that awful upgrade worth considering, but for all of the wrong reasons.  With her 30 second reload, her gunnery will be reasonably comfortable when she can actually reach what she wants to hit.  Given my predictions about shell damage performance, it does mean that my earlier estimations on DPM are accurate:

j8AkpnO.jpg
The crossed out ships are Yukon with a 25 second reload which isn't happening in this test iteration.

This puts Yukon's damage output in the solid "meh" category.  Her overmatch will be nice when she's top tier, so it's not like she's in the doldrums.  But her HE performance is pretty terrible.  Barring having no other choice, this current version of Yukon will want to be throwing AP whenever possible.

As for her secondaries, they're crap.  They differ from Famous & Historical Monarch's in that they have 1km less range (5.6km instead of 6.6km).  I wasn't expecting anything miraculous there. 

Summary:  Yukon's gunnery would be pretty comfortable at tier VII if it weren't for that range.  I'm going to have to see how it pans out in combination with her agility, stealth and durability.  I'm not expecting it to be a fun ride at this stage.

Durability

Hit Points: 60,500
Bow & stern/superstructure/upper-hull/deck:  26mm / 16mm / 26mm / 26mm
Maximum Citadel Protection: 356mm to 381mm belt
Torpedo Damage Reduction:  22%

One of the biggest changes from the earliest data-mine previews were had of Yukon was in regards to her structural armour.  For whatever reason, gamemodels3d.com was reporting it at 32mm -- identical to Famous & Historical Monarch's.  As exciting as this would have been, I am not surprised at all to report that Yukon's extremities and deck plating are the normal 26mm you would expect for a tier VII battleship.

cMXD9Fv.jpg
Nothing exciting here.  Do note her citadel placement.

What's more exciting is the healing potential for Yukon.  Receiving a British "portable dry-dock" Repair Party, combined with her large hit point pool for a tier VII battleship and she's got a lot of hit points to work with.  Taking signals and commander skills to further improve her healing potential will be paramount to getting the most out of this test iteration, I suspect.  Anyway, here's how the potential health pools pan out:

hJGmGbj.jpg

Yukon combines the best parts of Nelson's and Famous & Historical Monarch's Repair Parties.  The only thing she's "lacking" is any kind of improved citadel heal and she totally doesn't need it given the bonuses already going for her here.

Summary: King George V, now with zombie-mutant healing powers.

Agility

Top Speed: 28 knots
Turning Radius:  790m
7Rudder Shift Time: 9.7 seconds
4/4 Engine Speed Rate of Turn:  ???  Assumed to be 4.1º/s

So the big confirmation here is her ridiculous low rudder shift time.  To put this in perspective, Famous & Historical Monarch has a 15s rudder shift time.  I'm really really hoping for something weird to be going on with Yukon's agility in terms of energy retention but I'm not holding my breath.  As nice as that rudder shift time is, if she ends up with Famous & Historical Monarch's pedestrian 4.1º/s rotation rate, she'll still feel slow to come about, just not clumsy.  Her wiggling will be very precise, just not fast.

Anti-Aircraft Defence

Flak Bursts: 4 explosions for 1,330 damage per blast at 3.5km to 5.2km.
Long Ranged (up to 5.2km):  Between 84dps at 75% accuracy
Medium Ranged (up to 2.5km): Between 312dps at 75% accuracy
Short Ranged (up to 2.0km): Between 175dps at 70% accuracy

Well, these numbers all fell within the parameters I had guess at but, let's be fair, I had cast a ridiculously wide net.  It was hard not to be wrong.  Yukon's stats clone Famous & Historical Monarch's A-hull AA performance almost perfectly with the only difference being the amount of damage done by flak explosions (Famous & Historical Monarch does 1,470 per blast instead of Yukon's 1,330).  Overall, her AA power is kinda bad,  She has the equivalent AA protection of HMS Nelson, putting out comparable numbers which are largely limited to "vengeance weapons" wherein most of the damage she does will happen after aircraft have already made their attacks. 

Vision Control

Base/Minimum Surface Detection: 13.18km / 11.51km
Base/Minimum Air Detection Range: 9.06km / 8.15km
Detection Range When Firing in Smoke: 12.2m
Maximum Firing Range:  Between 15.65 and 18.78km when using her Spotter Aircraft

The biggest changes here from what I had guessed originally are the reduction in Yukon's aerial detection range and her main battery firing range.  Like with her surface detection before, the changes to Yukon's aerial detection allow her to get close to (yet remain slightly worse than) a fully upgraded Famous & Historical Monarch with Concealment Expert and the Concealment System Modification 1 upgrade.  So it's safe (though not entirely accurate) to say that she copies Famous & Historical Monarch's stealth performance, just a full tier lower.  The issue is really going to be getting around her horrible gun range.

Also, Dead Eye will probably be on it's way out by the time this ship comes out.

Overall Impressions

There are two surprises here.

1. Her range.
  2. Her heals.

One is very, VERY good.  One is very, VERY bad.  They're obviously meant to counteract one another to some degree.  As it stands, Yukon is looking SHA-MAZING for scenarios.  Overmatch + zombie-heals + improved agility in a game mode where range doesn't really matter?  Yes, please.  In Random Battles, I'm less optimistic.  As a top tier ship, she'll be a better bully than HMS Nelson.  As bottom tier, she'll be worse.  She'll be oh-so much worse.  Her 30 second reload with those crappy HE shells will put her miles behind Nelson.  I'll have to see if it pans out that way in practice but I'm none too hopeful there.

Anyway, I can't wait to try her out and my soup's getting cold so I'm going to sign off and get back to work on ZF-6.  Maybe (MAYBE) if I get enough done on ZF-6 today, I'll treat myself to a test-drive.  We'll see!

As one final caveat:

EXWl1ix.png

Everything about HMCS Yukon is subject to change!

Mouse out!

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 31
  • Thanks 14
  • Boring 2

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,810 posts
21,758 battles

903.gif

• Haha 2
  • Boring 2

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,150 posts
4,345 battles

Two previews on one ship? Mouse is REALLY excited about this one isn't she:Smile_teethhappy:

Also, I would really hate to be WG if the ship turns out to not be good, she'll haunt them for eternity:fish_nerv:

[HINON]
Members
9,010 posts
13,176 battles
6 minutes ago, Lert said:

903.gif

ive seen the video this gif is based on, it is.........strange, to say the least

Members
743 posts
19,884 battles

Review: good

but i'm not touching HMCS Mongrel, out of hate for what WG did to a KGV hull to make that disgusting thing.

• Cool 1

[12TF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,261 posts
8 minutes ago, Anonymous50 said:

A Scenario ship?

Hmm....might actually be interested in that.

This is about the only reason that I would be interested but...Nelson is a beloved BB for Narai and it is/was dirt cheap.  Yukon would have to really offer something interesting that Nelson doesn't for Narai, for me to purchase.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,533 posts
18,537 battles
Just now, Burnsy said:

Yukon would have to really offer something interesting that Nelson doesn't, for me to purchase.

The ability to take Commonwealth captains.

[12TF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,261 posts
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The ability to take Commonwealth captains.

Oh.  Now I feel dumb and also now I want it.  I thought it was British for some reason. :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
449 posts
16,746 battles

Thanks @LittleWhiteMouse for the preliminary review.  Love the information you provide to us in the community.  Thank you for your hard work!! :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
8,422 posts
6,118 battles

A Canadian Battleship?  Are we sure this wasn't an April Fool joke they forgot to take down?

[SYN]
Members
15,973 posts
12,803 battles

Maybe Duke of York wasn't such a bad ship after all...

• Cool 2

[WG-CC]
12,726 posts
10,843 battles
1 hour ago, MrDeaf said:

Maybe Duke of York wasn't such a bad ship after all...

She's not.  The buffs she received over the last couple of years have made her almost good.  She'd look even more favourable if King George V didn't exist, but here we are.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
1,334 posts
24,830 battles

Thanks again for this review Miss Mouse.  I am on the fence about this one.  I will need to hear more about this ship to finally decide.

[WPORT]
Members
9,983 posts
14,444 battles
4 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I wasn't expecting anything miraculous there. 

Mouse out!

For some reason you reminded me of this heroine.

Spoiler

image_2021-04-16_194446.thumb.png.f34e6efafa017c03b7cd3172111483fb.png

Thank you for another cogent and competent review, @LittleWhiteMouse.  :cap_like:
image_2021-04-16_194811.thumb.png.cb0a59078f27157c4be701ba5e7f77b2.png

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,328 posts
4,773 battles
21 minutes ago, kyesac said:

Thanks again for this review Miss Mouse.  I am on the fence about this one.  I will need to hear more about this ship to finally decide.

Dude!  It comes with Yukon Jack !!

oh wait.

[WPORT]
Members
9,983 posts
14,444 battles
4 hours ago, Sweetsie said:

Oh Canada!

See the source image

Fond memories of watching those seasonal television specials.

• Cool 1

Members
641 posts
90 battles
9 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Mouse out!

Canada never had any battleships. They just borrowed everything from the royal navy. I vote for this ship to be renamed HMS YUKON

[B_Y_F]
Members
700 posts
15,999 battles
8 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Canadian Famous & Historical Monarch-class battleship

This part make me laugh so hard :cap_horn:

[NYAAR]
Members
149 posts
2,495 battles
12 hours ago, Anonymous50 said:

A Scenario ship?

Hmm....might actually be interested in that.

For the single one scenario at tier 7 that remains. Playing Narai over and over again, at one point even narai will start to become a bit moldy alas.

12 hours ago, Burnsy said:

This is about the only reason that I would be interested but...Nelson is a beloved BB for Narai and it is/was dirt cheap.  Yukon would have to really offer something interesting that Nelson doesn't for Narai, for me to purchase.

Speed. Speed is a good thing for Nara.

12 hours ago, Kingpin61 said:

Review: good

but i'm not touching HMCS Mongrel, out of hate for what WG did to a KGV hull to make that disgusting thing.

You mean the KGV/DoY citadel 'buffs'?

[VVV]
Members
2,919 posts
5,065 battles
8 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

She's not.  The buffs she received over the last couple of years have made her almost good.  She'd look even more favourable if King George V didn't exist, but here we are.

She'd be even better if WG had made her a T8 with the requisite buffs. But that would be admitting the existence of Famous & Historical Monarch™ was a mistake and that KGV could've worked just fine at T8. (Probably the same reason Florida was nerfed during testing instead of just being uptiered and given 32mm plating. Still have to pretend it's impossible for 356mm guns to be a workable option at T8 because that would admit they did something wrong with the British BB line.)

As for Famous & Historical Yukon™? I remain baffled as to what the point is even supposed to be of this ship. It's not as if there was some great demand for a Commonwealth BB. And the only Commonwealth battleships (or battlecruisers) that would have any basis in reality would be HMAS Australia as a T3 and one of the slightly modified Queen Elizabeth class BBs proposed for Canada under the Naval Aid Bill of 1913. (For which Yukon is not likely to have been a name considered either. Allegedly the intended names for those 3 ships were Acadia, Quebec and Ontario.)

But of course WG barely acknowledges that T3 exists (to the extent that for the first time ever they released a BB line that starts instead at T4 despite a very suitable design existing to fill T3). And while a lazy copy-paste of Queen Elizabeth or Warspite could be done for HMCS Acadia (after all just look at the lazy copy-pasting that is Congress), that would still end up with a lower pricetag in the store than a lazy copy-paste of Famous & Historical Monarch™ at T7.

• Cool 1

Members
14 posts
49 minutes ago, Lord_Magus said:

As for Famous & Historical Yukon™? I remain baffled as to what the point is even supposed to be of this ship.

Cheap copypasta money grab, that's all.

• Thanks 1

Members
743 posts
19,884 battles
4 hours ago, Bakakaze said:

You mean the KGV/DoY citadel 'buffs'?

No, I mean what WG did to make Monarch a reality. They pretend it's Design 15C, but it's using DoY's hull, the wrong turrets (Should look like KGV's), wrong secondaries (Should be the 4.5''s as found on QE) and a Post War Mast arrangement, among many other things.

[WG-CC]
12,726 posts
10,843 battles
7 hours ago, Lord_Magus said:

She'd be even better if WG had made her a T8 with the requisite buffs. But that would be admitting the existence of Famous & Historical Monarch™ was a mistake and that KGV could've worked just fine at T8. (Probably the same reason Florida was nerfed during testing instead of just being uptiered and given 32mm plating. Still have to pretend it's impossible for 356mm guns to be a workable option at T8 because that would admit they did something wrong with the British BB line.)

As for Famous & Historical Yukon™? I remain baffled as to what the point is even supposed to be of this ship. It's not as if there was some great demand for a Commonwealth BB. And the only Commonwealth battleships (or battlecruisers) that would have any basis in reality would be HMAS Australia as a T3 and one of the slightly modified Queen Elizabeth class BBs proposed for Canada under the Naval Aid Bill of 1913. (For which Yukon is not likely to have been a name considered either. Allegedly the intended names for those 3 ships were Acadia, Quebec and Ontario.)

But of course WG barely acknowledges that T3 exists (to the extent that for the first time ever they released a BB line that starts instead at T4 despite a very suitable design existing to fill T3). And while a lazy copy-paste of Queen Elizabeth or Warspite could be done for HMCS Acadia (after all just look at the lazy copy-pasting that is Congress), that would still end up with a lower pricetag in the store than a lazy copy-paste of Famous & Historical Monarch™ at T7.

The point of the ship is simple:  "Hey Commonwealth players, I hear you have money."  Yukon isn't the least expensive route Wargaming could have gone.  They could have forgone playtesting and simply copy and pasted an existing asset in its entirety and slapped a new skin on it like they did for Wujing or Juruá.  Yukon may not look different but at least she'll play different.

As for the naming convention, by the WW2 era, Canada was using province names for cruisers, with Quebec and Ontario already used to rename HMS Uganda and HMS Minotaur respectively.  That they shied away from HMCS Acadia gives me (vain) hope that the modified Queen Elizabeth-class is being considered, if not already in the works.  But that leaves a question on what to call this Famous & Historical Monarch-class ship.  The Canadian naming conventions for battleships in WW2 simply do not exist as far as I am aware, so it's really anyone's guess as to what they could be. I like the idea that it would be named for geographical regions of Canada.  Naming battleships after the territories is okay, I guess -- it's not my first choice, but whatever.  We only have two territories to use as names but then again, it's not like we were ever planning to have a single battleship in the WW2 era, nevermind a squadron that would make us run out of names after Yukon and Northwest Territories.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1