You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
frankfletcher_1

New Ship Idea: 6 inch AA cruiser scheme C, 4 twin turrets

9 comments in this topic

[MUG-T]
Members
785 posts
4,262 battles

So, while looking around some ship designs, I found this https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/OnlineLibrary/photos/images/s-file/s511-36c.htm

s511-36-2.thumb.jpg.f7c55c34ce3f4fc56418213ac6fc4c99.jpg

Worcester preliminary, would have 4 of her turrets. I think she would make a nice fit at T8. 

Since I don't want to type out the full name in the title, I'll call this thing the USS Tacoma, after the Denver class protected cruiser and the city in Washington. I'll compare it to Cleveland a lot, as that's the other USN CL at T8 (AL Montpelier only has .5 more reload and .1 more sigma as differences IIRC, not gonna bother put her in). I made a lot of these calculations (DPM and long range AA) by using Wooster x 2/3 or copying it, looking at Cleveland or other CLs at this tier, or just being arbitrary.

Consumables:

DFAA (improved USN DD version, gets unlimited charges), Hydro, and Radar (no spotter or fighter memes because no catapult, Radar shares parameters with Atlanta)

Main guns,

4x2 152mm/47 DP Mk. 16

4.6 second reload, 7.2 second turret traverse

HE shell - 12% chance of fire, 2200 max damage, 30mm penetration

AP shell - 3200 max damage, standard bounce angles

Max Range: 16.7km

No secondaries or torps :Smile_sad:

Comparable to Cleveland, Tacoma has around 230k HE DPM, while Cleveland has 244k. Very similar, but this thing has less than half the turret traverse time of Cleveland. Tacoma also has about a km more range. Cleveland has secondaries which are basically useless but get the occasional meme kill.

Defense: 127mm belt, 25mm everywhere else

Identical to Cleveland except for the central deck, where Cleveland has 27mm

HP pool: 35,000

Almost Cleveland, (1900 less) but not quite

AA

Long Range: 6.9km

91 DPS, 4 flak which does 1890 each, hit chance 100%

Tacoma has 1 less flak puff and around 15 less DPS than Cleveland, but way more range. She also has DD accuracy on her long range.

Mid range: 96 DPS, hit chance 100%

Tacoma loses big to Cleveland here. The former has less than 1/2 of Cleveland's AA. Same DD accuracy gimmick (100 instead of 90).

Short range: nil

Yeah, I think we can see who won in the short range part 

See below for mid range and short range values

Things change when we add DFAA. 

Tacoma has the improved version that is used by USN DDs that has +100% continuous along with the standard x4 flak, while Cleveland only get +50% and the x4. Tacoma also has unlimited charges.

Maneuverability

Speed: 33 knots

Rudder shift: 5 seconds

Turning circle: 620m

Tacoma is extremely agile. She has .5 knots of speed over Cleveland and 2.6 seconds better rudder shift, with a bonus of 40m better turning circle.

Refrigerator

Surface detection: 11.5km

Air detection: 6.9km

Tacoma is very stealthy, but there is .5km gap before you can stealth radar. Beats out most cruisers in her matchmaking spread here.

Radar 8.5km, 25 second duration, 3 charges

Not gonna give her Cleveland radar, would let her stealth radar too easily

Hydro: Ship detection 5km, Torpedo detection 3.5km

Standard T8 hydro, nothing special

So, what do you guys think? Personally, I feel she would be to Cleveland as how Wichita is to Baltimore.

Edit:

364077668_ScreenShot2021-04-16at11_38_46AM.png.e116be22324d7525a1fd12ad4bd354e4.png

Considering she probably would have been given a wartime refit with a lot of AA, threw some extra guns on, thx to @sonoasailor for idea

New mid: 168

New short: 79

With the new values, Tacoma has around 3/4 of Cleveland's AA.

Edited by frankfletcher_1
  • Cool 4

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,075 posts
22,336 battles
9 minutes ago, frankfletcher_1 said:

So, what do you guys think?

I like it. Ship has nice lines. Stats look ok as a basis to start from.

10 minutes ago, frankfletcher_1 said:

Refrigerator

Fan of Mouse, I see. I approve.

[CRF]
Members
1,081 posts
9,410 battles

Dont see an issue with stacking a bunch of 20mm AA about the ship - they kept adding them on other ships whenever they could.  Typically a prelim drawing like this wouldn't cover the smaller details like the 20mm guns. No torps? - SAD!

[MUG-T]
Members
785 posts
4,262 battles
56 minutes ago, sonoasailor said:

Dont see an issue with stacking a bunch of 20mm AA about the ship - they kept adding them on other ships whenever they could.  Typically a prelim drawing like this wouldn't cover the smaller details like the 20mm guns. No torps? - SAD!

Give me a few minutes in Google Slides, I'll throw some on

Edited by frankfletcher_1

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,347 posts
13,086 battles
23 hours ago, frankfletcher_1 said:

what do you guys think? Personally, I feel she would be to Cleveland as how Wichita is to Baltimore

I think this ship could easily fit at t9 with a 10km radar: easily. Meanwhile Wichita is more memorabilia when compared to Baltimore.

Furthermore, I don't know about this huge aversion to radar. The whole purpose of the device is to detect before being detected. Chapayev gets a very beautiful 2km stealth radar window and Ochekov gets 900m of that same window.

In addition, since this is t8, are you going to give her twin bofors or 3/50s? 3/50s have longer ranges than Bofors mind you. Also, not giving her 20mms actually improves her Mid range AA performance.

Otherwise, it's a flawless USN Ochekov counterpart.

Members
116 posts
7,600 battles

Strangely enough, I can also see this replacing the radar with a smoke set, make it a heavy Atlanta-like with a spicy kick. Most Americans really perform better if allowed to close in, but it's getting there that's the problem.

[MUG-T]
Members
785 posts
4,262 battles
6 hours ago, BarnacleCollector said:

AA cruiser, hahaha. Like Des Moines, right?

AA is a relative measure. Des Moines is an extremely powerful AA cruiser because it has 11 guys chucking rocks instead of 10 on Petropavlovsk.

[Y0L0]
Members
618 posts
26,154 battles

I think a better way to state that is "Des Moines is an extremely powerful AA cruiser because it takes a carrier four passes to kill it instead of three like for most other cruisers".