You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Normal DDs can't do ANYTHING versus CVs!

144 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,023 posts
10,383 battles

Let me guess, the FDR constantly bumbled into your DFAA flak. If I am right (and I'm 99.9% certain I am), the only reason you could sort of protect yourself is because that CV player was not just average or even somewhat below average -- no, that player was horrid.

CV counterplay: praying that the enemy is trash.

• Cool 20
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 5
  • Meh 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,544 posts
29 minutes ago, vak_ said:

no, that player was horrid.

Aircraft Carrier 1154
64.56% 2 628 1.64 111 835

Yep, just terrible.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 3

[D-DAY]
Members
7,136 posts

Wow, took a while to get another good game in a DD against a CV @Snargfargle.

I honestly thought you'd risen above the 'look, people can do well against a CV...see!' posts.

But no, just took this long to get a good result. Your post did not have the effect I think you wanted it to. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 5
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 2

[KWF]
Members
6,584 posts
7,205 battles

Simple question. Did you enjoy landing two torps, four shell hits, and spending the rest of the battle fighting off planes with your automated AI system? In my books both you and the CV lost.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Boring 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,544 posts
Just now, _WaveRider_ said:

Wow, took a while to get another good game in a DD against a CV @Snargfargle.

I honestly thought you'd risen above the 'look, people can do well against a CV...see!' posts.

But no, just took this long to get a good result. Your post did not have the effect I think you wanted it to. :Smile_teethhappy:

I've posted lots of examples of an average player (me) doing OK versus CVs. The main reason I don't post more is that I usually never even encounter them in games as they either get tired of trying to find me or are off pestering someone else.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,544 posts
Just now, warheart1992 said:

Simple question. Did you enjoy landing two torps, four shell hits, and spending the rest of the battle fighting off planes with your automated AI system? In my books both you and the CV lost.

While the CV was pestering me, my team won. Sure it was tunnel vision on his part. However, just by staying alive I was helping distract the CV and thus helping my team.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 2
  • Boring 1

[D-DAY]
Members
7,136 posts
Just now, Snargfargle said:

I've posted lots of examples of an average player (me) doing OK versus CVs. The main reason I don't post more is that I usually never even encounter them in games as they either get tired of trying to find me or are off pestering someone else.

An average DD player never usually encounters CVs...that's what you're going with?

Oh, and of course, when they do they obliterate the ac.

Well I'm convinced. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Boring 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,544 posts
17 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

An average DD player never usually encounters CVs...that's what you're going with?

Oh, and of course, when they do they obliterate the ac.

Well I'm convinced. :Smile_teethhappy:

Oh, they will come hunting, but generally I can avoid them because my detection is so low. However, this time the CV was lined up on a cruiser that was right beside me initially and knew where I was when I popped defensive AA to help. Since I was in a narrow area between an island and the edge of the map so the CV didn't have too far to look to try and find me again. I'm just saying that a Gearing, not even spec'd for AA other than taking the defensive AA module, can do fairly good vs planes if you use defensive AA, priority sector, and maneuver a bit too. No sense crying and wailing all the time about CVs.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 5

[D-DAY]
Members
7,136 posts
8 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Oh, they will come hunting, but generally I can avoid them because my detection is so low. However, this time the CV was lined up on a cruiser that was right beside me and knew where I was, Since I was in a narrow area between an island and the edge of the map so the CV didn't have too far to look to try and find me again. I'm just saying that a Gearing, not even spec'd for AA other than taking the defensive AA module, can do fairly good vs planes if you use priority sector and maneuver a bit too. No sense crying and wailing all the time about CVs.

Honestly, don't concern yourself.

Rather than expecting a balanced view of CV interaction, you have made it massively clear you're bias.

I see you being every bit the wailing child going on about how easy it is to play against CVs, as I do those that wail about how evil they are.

You are a great match! :Smile_smile:

Edited by _WaveRider_
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,544 posts
28 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Honestly, don't concern yourself.

Rather than expecting a balanced view of CV interaction, you have made it massively clear your bias.

I see you being every bit the wailing child going on about how easy it is to play against CVs, as I do those that wail about how evil they are.

You are a great match! :Smile_smile:

My "bias" is that I just don't get all that worked up about CVs. The reworked CVs are fun to play and not that big of a deal to play against. Players didn't leave the game in droves immediately after the rework and the game is still chugging along nicely two years past. Therefore, even though you hear people whining about CVs, the one's who simply couldn't stand them and had to uninstall the game must have been very few and far between.

Also, calling a unit type in a video game "evil" is more than a little hyperbolic. I, personally, wouldn't even call CVs annoying as they are a part of a game I like to play and thus part of the challenge of playing it. I could give you some examples of real evil from my experiences as a military and civilian paramedic. I won't, however, as the stories, though factual, would probably get me banned from the forums for content.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 4

[KWF]
Members
6,584 posts
7,205 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

While the CV was pestering me, my team won. Sure it was tunnel vision on his part. However, just by staying alive I was helping distract the CV and thus helping my team.

I guess we agree to disagree on this, but getting focused while trying to fulfill my duties in a DD and being constantly barred from doing so is annoying to me. I get that  what the CV is doing is the right call (even though that differs from CV to CV), but I'm stuck maneuvering and relying on AI to which I can give vague commands to defend me, while the CV player has normal control over his squad. 

Your team won and a win nowadays is nothing to scoff at. I'm all for winning and focusing on the quality, not the quantity of the damage, but the help you gave your team by being bait and shooting down planes isn't really represented. I don't know how much XP you gain by planes shot down/damage as the exact calculation from the wiki isn't mentioned, but don't think it's worth it in the end.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

[D-DAY]
Members
7,136 posts
2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

My "bias" is that I just don't get all that worked up about CVs. The reworked CVs are fun to play and not that big of a deal to play against. Players didn't leave the game in droves immediately after the rework and the game is still chugging along nicely two years past. Therefore, even though you hear people whining about CVs, the one's who simply couldn't stand them and had to uninstall the game must have been very few and far between.

You obviously get worked up enough to feel the need to come to the forums if you have a good game against them - if it really isn't that much of an occurrence (doing well against a CV), then why do you feel the need to report on it? Unless you've got worked up.

Yes, I agree the new way of playing CVs is better than the old way - granted, that is my opinion - I let others make theirs.

And forgive the chuckle regarding someone whining about others whining and saying they aren't worked up, but then feel the need to say 'hey I had a good game against a CV' - something they say is a normal occurrence.

7 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Also, calling a unit type in a video game "evil" is more than a little hyperbolic. I, personally, wouldn't even call CVs annoying as they are a part of a game I like to play and thus part of the challenge of playing it. I could give you some examples of real evil from my experiences as a military and civilian paramedic. I won't, however, as the stories, though factual, would probably get me banned from the forums for content.

Yes it is hyperbolic, just like grouping all complaints about CVs as whining. Remember I was just putting your need to say how well you can do against CVs on par with those who are equally negative.

Evil is a word used in many context - I guarantee I have as many examples as you have - the context of where the word is used and in what circumstance needs to be taken into consideration before you get 'worked up' and start to play the 'I've seen things' card. If seeing the word evil in a forum causes you issues, then you are either wanting to be a victim, or need help because you are a genuine victim where the word evil causes you pain. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,544 posts
9 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

I guess we agree to disagree on this, but getting focused while trying to fulfill my duties in a DD and being constantly barred from doing so is annoying to me. I get that  what the CV is doing is the right call (even though that differs from CV to CV), but I'm stuck maneuvering and relying on AI to which I can give vague commands to defend me, while the CV player has normal control over his squad. 

Your team won and a win nowadays is nothing to scoff at, but the help you gave your team by being bait and shooting down planes isn't really represented.

I can sort of get where the CV was coming from. This was a Ranked match and taking out a DD, especially one that's on a small team, is important. I'm not sure why he got so tunnel-visioned on me. Perhaps he thought he could take me out relatively quickly, and he just about did three times when I was just barely able to dodge enough torps and bombs to stay alive. If my team hadn't been so good he would have gotten me on the next pass or the one after that.

As far as contributing, I was out near the front of the team spotting, I shot at a DD who was trying to take the cap, ran off a couple of other ships that were trying to come help him with my torps, and assisted in capping. So, even though I didn't do a lot of damage that match I still was doing "DD stuff" and not only dodging planes.  

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Boring 2

[BONKS]
Members
3,094 posts
52 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Yep, just terrible.

That is in fact at best considered mediocre. Due to the relative power of the class stats in it also have to be considered relatively. A mediocre skill level in CVs pretty much automatically allows anyone to reach 60%+ WR equivalent to about 50-55% in any other class.

Regardless the majority of your plane kills came from the FDR, a CV notorious for being terrible at handling DDs, either eating DFAA flak or killing fighters, as such I fail to see how this is supposed to showcase anything?

Edited by El2aZeR
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 3

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,544 posts
6 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

You obviously get worked up enough to feel the need to come to the forums if you have a good game against them

Mainly I'm posting here tonight because I'm bored and it's something to do. I really should be hauling stuff up from the basement and boxing it up for a sale later this summer but I'm "pouting" because I broke my foot recently and it still hurts if I walk on it too long, especially when carrying heavy boxes.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[WOLF1]
Members
1,151 posts
2,228 battles
2 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

That is in fact at best considered mediocre. Due to the relative power of the class stats in it also have to be considered relatively. A mediocre skill level in CVs pretty much automatically allows anyone to reach 60%+ WR equivalent to 50-55% in any other class.

Regardless the majority of your plane kills came either from the FDR eating DFAA flak or killing fighters, as such I fail to see how this is supposed to showcase anything?

It shows that even a FDR with tanks as planes cannot just waltz in in a straight line and expect to smash a couple of DDs. Dodging flak, dropping fighters, and pre-initiating  the attack run before the DD is spotted are skills needed to attack a DD

[D-DAY]
Members
7,136 posts
Just now, Snargfargle said:

Mainly I'm posting here tonight because I'm bored and it's something to do. I really should be hauling stuff up from the basement and boxing it up for a sale later this summer but I'm "pouting" because I broke my foot recently and it still hurts if I walk on it too long, especially when carrying heavy boxes.

So you admit that there are other IRL things you could be doing if not for the injury and that out of sheer boredom because you could not think of anything more enjoyable to do, you came to the forums to post about something you happened to have a screen snap for, because it is something that occurs so often and isn't out of the ordinary.......but warrants posting about. :Smile_amazed:

Ok, confusing but what ever works for you.

Genuinely, I hope your injury mends quickly and well. :Smile_honoring:

• Boring 1

[KID0]
Members
212 posts
2 minutes ago, Boomer625 said:

It shows that even a FDR with tanks as planes cannot just waltz in in a straight line and expect to smash a couple of DDs. Dodging flak, dropping fighters, and pre-initiating  the attack run before the DD is spotted are skills needed to attack a DD

In other words, the skill of the CV determines the outcome of the encounter, regardless of "counter play".

Sounds balanced to me. /s

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,544 posts
4 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

A mediocre skill level in CVs pretty much automatically allows anyone to reach 60%+ WR equivalent to about 50-55% in any other class.

So you are saying that even "mediocre" CV players should have a 60% win rate in CVs? Then why is the server win rate for the Midway 46% and those of all but the last two tier-X CVs releases about average? That the newest CV releases have a higher win rate shows that highly experienced CV players who have enough resources to buy them and CCs on press accounts can do very well in them but that's not the case for the majority of players.

• Boring 1

[KIA-C]
Members
3,824 posts
16,812 battles
5 minutes ago, Boomer625 said:

Nope it just shows that the CV is bad enough to eat several flaks (aka cannot WSAD hack).

Also 39 planes kill is nice and all but I dont see how many were fighters /rockets/bombs. 

OP probably met a good FDR player who maybe potatoed this game, but I fail to see how one pic of one specific game prove that DD can do something against CV

[KIA-C]
Members
3,824 posts
16,812 battles
4 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

So you are saying that even "mediocre" CV players should have a 60% win rate in CVs? Then why is the server win rate for the Midway 46% and those of all but the last two tier-X CVs releases about average? That the newest CV releases have a higher win rate shows that highly experienced CV players who have enough resources to buy them and CCs on press accounts can do very well in them but that's not the case for the majority of players.

You discovered that the vast majority of player are bad in this game. GG

• Haha 2