Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Telastyn

Why does the Alsace even have secondaries anymore?

18 comments in this topic

Members
671 posts
18,002 battles

1083 shells fired, 2978 damage.

Not included in this was a Friesland whom was spotted in open water 6km away and the drunk secondary gunners spent a minute doing nothing to it.

Why does this ship even have secondaries? Certainly someone back at port would have gone "you know, these things can't damage our enemies. Let's refit so they can."

alsace-secondaries.thumb.png.8a5dde8758734a2266b2a78b2310cc54.png

(yes, 2 of the 3 fires were caused by secondaries accounting for all but 500 of the fire damage)

• Cool 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Meh 2

[KIA-C]
Members
370 posts
4,954 battles
11 minutes ago, Telastyn said:

This is exactly why I don't spec Alsace for secondaries.  The 155s will struggle to penetrate enemy armor.  The only way to make those french secondaries shine is getting IFHE.  Alternatively, boosting fire chance can be a nice cheap alternative. 

Besides, the fantastic top speed and dpm of her main battery guns are much better features to build around. 

My condolences for the match.   

image.png.faf78477d13046a6df297adae00dd7f7.png

[HKC]
Members
882 posts

Based on the number of ships that came into your range, I'm guessing by the time you got to see a Friesland at 6 km, your secondaries were pretty shot up, or almost non existent.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,478 posts
4,774 battles

1428363364_fredsanford.gif.e67bcd7601a3e2b522398a80e880300b.gif  It's the end of the world!  I'm comin' to join you Elizabeth!

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[-BCO-]
Members
2,940 posts
5,063 battles

It is called fireworks. Looks nice, does sh*t

[SVF]
Members
1,995 posts
2,476 battles
1 hour ago, Viva_Palestine said:

Based on the number of ships that came into your range, I'm guessing by the time you got to see a Friesland at 6 km, your secondaries were pretty shot up, or almost non existent.

Take a closer look at the right side of that screenshot.  Only took 16 HE shell hits for around 6200 damage.  His secondaries ought to be mostly intact with those numbers.

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
6,572 posts
7,191 battles

According to recent news, the range of your secondaries should be used to get a buff to your main battery, not being able to use them outright.

• Cool 1

[TSF]
Members
558 posts
15,270 battles

Hahaha, try it on an Italian Battleship. 

While I was experimenting with different builds on Marco Polo, trying to find something workable, I experimented with a full secondary build, in order to decrease main battery reload another 10% when an enemy was in secondary range. 

Italian BB secondaries won't pen 19mm, so high tier DDs are literally immune to them, as well as cruisers, BBs, and of course, CVs.

On the upside, they fire very quickly, and look scary. 

You can get games with 1000+ shells fired, for 200-300 damage, total! It's hilarious.

Italian BB secondaries may be on of the most comically useless things WGing has done, since nerfing Kremlin's AA! 

[SPTR]
Members
27,690 posts
18,295 battles

With 32mm all round hull armor and terrible penetration on most of its secondary guns, Alsace is not a good ship to invest any of your time into making it a full secondary build.

[FORM]
Members
2,417 posts
13,579 battles
8 hours ago, Telastyn said:

Like most ships now, secondaries are for creating a background atmosphere to the battle ;)

I had to chuckle when Potato Quality took a closer look at his stats after his first ever battle in a Columbo and the insane 325K damage... of which his 69 secondary hits did a paltry 3K, with another 1.5K of fire damage. 

col-pq.thumb.JPG.b9c6aa2c4fc9c266a65444d69a8ddf74.JPG

Members
671 posts
18,002 battles
8 hours ago, Viva_Palestine said:

Nope, ended that particular game at 100%. It was a steamroll in our favor.

[HKC]
Members
882 posts
57 minutes ago, Telastyn said:

Nope, ended that particular game at 100%. It was a steamroll in our favor.

Huh. Don't know then. 

And agree w others: no secondary spec for Alsace.

[WOLFG]
Members
34,370 posts
10,591 battles
15 hours ago, Telastyn said:

(yes, 2 of the 3 fires were caused by secondaries accounting for all but 500 of the fire damage)

That's the point of those particular secondaries, starting fires.

The 100mm can't pen anything anyway, and the 155s are too few and fire way too slow to be a reliable damage source.

That was true before the skill rework.

[WOLF3]
Members
647 posts
12,385 battles
15 hours ago, A_Horde_of_Sharks said:

This is exactly why I don't spec Alsace for secondaries.  The 155s will struggle to penetrate enemy armor.  The only way to make those french secondaries shine is getting IFHE.  Alternatively, boosting fire chance can be a nice cheap alternative. 

Besides, the fantastic top speed and dpm of her main battery guns are much better features to build around. 

My condolences for the match.   

image.png.faf78477d13046a6df297adae00dd7f7.png

Another great way is to hit things more and start fires that way. I run basic stuff like conceal and fire prevention etc. I might actually run the close quarters expert like I do with Georgia since I often tend to get myself in trouble with her speed. Problem with that is you are wasting 4 points for only a 10% main battery reload.

Edited by Drifter_X

Members
671 posts
18,002 battles
51 minutes ago, Drifter_X said:

Another great way is to hit things more and start fires that way. I run basic stuff like conceal and fire prevention etc. I might actually run the close quarters expert like I do with Georgia since I often tend to get myself in trouble with her speed. Problem with that is you are wasting 4 points for only a 10% main battery reload.

Yeah, I run conceal and FP on mine. Just too easy for it to get farmed at high tiers without it.

I've been trying out CQC based on WG's recommendation to see just how bad it is. Early returns are that it's not too bad actually. I swapped it in for Adrenaline Rush. I figured the conditional was maybe a win since I'm more likely to be within 12k of something than half-dead?

[WOLFG]
Members
34,370 posts
10,591 battles
4 hours ago, Drifter_X said:

Problem with that is you are wasting 4 points for only a 10% main battery reload.

To be fair though, nobody had a problem with 3 points for BFT, when the best improvement you could get was 0.8 seconds. although it was constantly "on".

For 4 points, you could get up to 4 seconds knocked off. Even an average BB gets 3 seconds faster. That's huge in a brawling situation.

Sign in to follow this