You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RenamedUser_1014381829

What part of this would be fun for a new player?

108 comments in this topic

Banned
358 posts

New players coming into this game get farmed by people in P2W broken ships with 19 point captains and 6k games played in those ships.  How long before they just say "Screw this." and forget this game exists?  It is very easy to uninstall a P2W, I mean F2P game.  This game has a player base retention problem.  With little to no influx of new players all you are really left with is long term players and people who come back after quitting.    You can see this by the fact most matches T4 & T5 have bots in them almost every game.  It means that there are no new players.  

Imagine you are a new player.  You are forced to fight bots, and then when you move out of mostly bots, you run into players who bottom feed T5 in over powered ships.  Who would want to sit through that?  What person picking up this game would want to fight the two ships listed below who have camo's, flags, 21pt captains, 6k games played?  If you keep letting ships like this exist in Random Matches, you are going to suffer far more losses in players than you would by bumping them up two tiers to where they should be. 

image.png

• Cool 7
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Boring 9
  • Meh 7

Members
282 posts
4,598 battles

There's a lot of truth in this thread. Personally, while the game really promotes endgame content, I think that there should be incentives for players to play low tier battles, just to fill lobby and give new players a better feel for how the game will be. 

Don't know what to do about op premiums though.

• Cool 5

[VORTX]
Members
688 posts
8,868 battles

This is why there is coop and missions. Randoms are brutal for noobs. I steered clear of them for my first few months playing and then only dove into them because I was bored of coop but also determined to learn the game better. The next few months were pretty rough. Randoms remain a challenge, if they weren't I’d get bored and walk on. Low tier randoms tend to be less toxic, but also the game play is simpler and can be a much needed restorative break from competitive high tier. Besides the GC and rare Kamikaze, there aren’t too many low tier boats I can think of that are brutal to play against. 

Edited by Pirate_Named_Sue
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[PHD]
Members
1,960 posts
7,607 battles

Yeh, I tried tier 1 and got hammered by what appeared to be a pair playing together. Didn't try Randoms anymore unless necessary.

[D-H-O]
Beta Testers, Volunteer Moderator
346 posts
7,132 battles

Kami R isn't a P2W ship... it was one you gained from an event (pearl one maybe where you chose a side and then could buy it with earned pearls?)  The Guilio, however, is well known for it's OP status and the weeping sobs of owners when they were going to up tier her to T6 and nerf her.   Part of the reason it's been removed from the shop. 

For sure, though, early life on a new WoWS player can be tough.  I challenge anyone who thinks otherwise to try starting from tier 1 and don't use any gold or xp to jump tiers.  

And the Kami R is to T5 as what the Umikaze is to T2

• Boring 1

[SIM]
Members
5,886 posts
9,315 battles

The game has a steep learning curve. If that puts people off in the low tiers then so be it. Casuals will wash out, dedicated players will push through. 

Edited by SkaerKrow
  • Thanks 4
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 2

[D-H-O]
Beta Testers, Volunteer Moderator
346 posts
7,132 battles
2 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

The game has a steep learning curve. If that puts people off in the low tiers then so be it. Casuals will wash out, dedicated players will push through. 

And the game has so many options to jump the tiers quickly.  How many release events give you the opportunity to hit T4-6 in a new ship line just by opening a crate.  

• Meh 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,450 posts
11 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Yeah I don't white knight for new players.  If they think it's harsh they can certainly speak up about it but, I am not going to tell strangers what they are or are not capable of, for them. The game doesn't seem to have trouble with it's population growth, despite the strange fascination with some constantly saying it's dying.

You ever play Eve Online?  It's been a while for me and it might have changed but back in the day, losses were losses.  As in if you didn't pay your insurance and unwittingly jumped into the wrong system, there was 9 players waiting for you and that ship you spent 3 months grinding out was gone, in seconds.  As in gone gone, for good.  Start over.  To a new player, they likely didn't even understand what in the world just happened or how they could have prevented it. 

That "wrong system" then wandered into, changes by the hour and if you don't know how to read not only the hugely complicated in game map, but also outside of the game websites that keep track of kill metrics in the last 10 minutes, you are flying around blind.  The game doesn't explain any of it.

It's been around for decades and is still pulling new players.  WoWs will be fine.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,526 posts
12,868 battles

We all went through it if you love the game you keep playing if you don't you quit . Want an easy game to learn and play don't come here you get beat up for a while learning this game .

Edited by clammboy
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[GOCRY]
Members
1,004 posts

Even then, we understand the mechanics of the game, whereas a noob wouldn’t.  However, a noob has protected matchmaking for a few hundred games, so they aren’t immediately thrown into the meat grinder.  Also, doesn’t the same apply to most competitive online games?  No matter what you play, you’re going to struggle against other players with more experience until you figure out how you’re supposed to play.

As much as we love to complain about our teammates, for a brand new player, those teammates might be what keeps them playing.  When I first started, I knew I was bad, but I was still on the winning side a bunch because my teammates carried me.  It was enough that I contributed to the win.  I had no expectation that I would carry my team to victory.  As I got better, my expectations for my own performance rose.  As always, as long as I win some games, I’m happy, but I’m happier when I get to do the carrying.

[TMS]
Members
3,877 posts
38,145 battles
10 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Yeah I don't white knight for new players.  If they think it's harsh they can certainly speak up about it but, I am not to tell strangers what they are or are not capable of, for them. The game doesn't seem to have trouble with it's population growth, despite the strange fascination with some constantly saying it's dying.

You ever play Eve Online?  It's been a while for me and it might have changed but back in the day, losses were losses.  As in if you didn't pay your insurance and unwittingly jumped into the wrong system, there was 9 players waiting for you and that ship you spent 3 months grinding out was gone, in seconds.  As in gone gone, for good.  Start over.  To a new player, they likely didn't even understand what in the world just happened.

It's been around for decades and is still pulling new players.  WoWs will be fine.

I was an eve player and you are comparing apples to oranges.

This is a tiny arcade shooter and not a Massive Deeply complex MMO.

Edited by Final8ty
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[WOLF1]
Members
1,151 posts
2,228 battles
51 minutes ago, RenamedUser_1014381829 said:

New players coming into this game get farmed by people in P2W broken ships with 19 point captains and 6k games played in those ships.  How long before they just say "Screw this." and forget this game exists?  It is very easy to uninstall a P2W, I mean F2P game.  This game has a player base retention problem.  With little to no influx of new players all you are really left with is long term players and people who come back after quitting.    You can see this by the fact most matches T4 & T5 have bots in them almost every game.  It means that there are no new players.  

Imagine you are a new player.  You are forced to fight bots, and then when you move out of mostly bots, you run into players who bottom feed T5 in over powered ships.  Who would want to sit through that?  What person picking up this game would want to fight the two ships listed below who have camo's, flags, 21pt captains, 6k games played?  If you keep letting ships like this exist in Random Matches, you are going to suffer far more losses in players than you would by bumping them up two tiers to where they should be. 

image.png

WOWS is like life. In the beginning  you get beat up a lot and shot down, but over time you work your way up, and if you are kind-hearted, guide the next generation through the struggle

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
9,450 posts
6 minutes ago, Final8ty said:

I was an eve player and you are comparing apples to oranges.

This is a tiny arcade shooter and not a Massive MMO.

The point is the same and gamers are gamers.  If they want to play the game, a challenge is what they are here to learn and overcome.  I think it's kind of insulting to treat new players like they don't have the intelligence or fortitude, to do what "we" do.

If a new player has an opinion, let's let them speak for themselves, not tell them what they think.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

Members
2,070 posts
12,817 battles

WG tried to balance one of those ships but the community said they prefer op p2w content and oh look a lot of the premium ships that have come out since then are really strong.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 3

[TMS]
Members
3,877 posts
38,145 battles
5 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

The point is the same and gamers are gamers.  If they want to play the game, a challenge is what they are here to learn and overcome.  I think it's kind of insulting to treat new players like they don't have the intelligence or fortitude, to do what "we" do.

If a new player has an opinion, let's let them speak for themselves, not tell them what they think.

Its what the game offers what makes it worth the grind and not simple thinking like gamers are gamers, if i was starting WOWS now I would be done with the game in a week.

WOWS is no comparison.

Edited by Final8ty
  • Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,697 posts
6,704 battles
10 minutes ago, DEWEY_96_ said:

The Guilio, however, is well known for it's OP status and the weeping sobs of owners when they were going to up tier her to T6 and nerf her.   P

I own a GC and I wanted it switched to Tier VI.  Not all owners are [edited].  That said, there was an awful lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth as many of the players seem to be locked into the Commodore 64 era of how games work.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

[A-D-F]
9,450 posts
7 minutes ago, Final8ty said:

Its what the game offers what makes it worth the grind and not simple thinking like gamers are gamers, if i was starting WOWS now would be done with the game in a week.

Fair enough and all opinions should be heard.

Personally for me, if I had to start over today, I would probably take a few days to think about what I wanted to do.  I don't mean if I wanted to start over, but what line to start with and what ships to go after first.

[TMS]
Members
3,877 posts
38,145 battles
3 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Fair enough and all opinions should be heard.

Personally for me, if I had to start over today, I would probably take a few days to think about what I wanted to do.  I don't mean if I wanted to start over, but what line to start with.

|t does not matter what line, 3 CVs per team would of put me out the door.

With EVE there is always counters to everything and no stupid mechanics.

Edited by Final8ty
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLFG]
Members
34,338 posts
10,584 battles
20 minutes ago, Commissar_Carl said:

There's a lot of truth in this thread. Personally, while the game really promotes endgame content, I think that there should be incentives for players to play low tier battles, just to fill lobby and give new players a better feel for how the game will be. 

Don't know what to do about op premiums though.

That's just it though, if there are incentives for low tier battles, people have more reasons to seal club. The biggest clubber in the game (Clemson) isn't  even a premium.

And don't forget T4 CVs.

No, at some point, newbies are going to get dumped in the shark tank. The only question is when.

IMO, T5 is pretty good, it's early enough that the lessons aren't expensive to learn, and late enough that most of the ships are competitive.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[A-D-F]
9,450 posts
1 minute ago, Final8ty said:

|t does not matter what line, 3 CVs per team would of put me out the door.

With EVE there is always counters to everything and no stupid mechanics.

I haven't seen 3 CVs in the same team in quite a while.  Even two on a team is pretty rare in my experience these days.

The important part about our posts though is that they are our opinions, we are speaking for ourselves.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1

[WPORT]
Members
10,919 posts
15,412 battles
Spoiler

image_2021-04-15_202005.thumb.png.09098290ae0c5e7351477371481c8d06.png

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[TMS]
Members
3,877 posts
38,145 battles
8 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I haven't seen 3 CVs in the same team in quite a while.  Even two on a team is pretty rare in my experience these days.

The important part about our posts though is that they are our opinions, we are speaking for ourselves.

It not my opinion that EVE is nothing like WOWS and just because it can hold players it does not mean WOWS can.

I played with the best in EVE and 90% of people i knew who stopped playing is because of time. 99% of the people i know who stopped playing WOWS is because of the game itself.

Edited by Final8ty
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[WOLFG]
Members
34,338 posts
10,584 battles
8 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

To be fair though, the length of time where low tier ships were seeing 3 CVs somewhat regularly, would probably have turned me off the game as a new player.

[GOCRY]
Members
1,004 posts
6 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

To be fair though, the length of time where low tier ships were seeing 3 CVs somewhat regularly, would probably have turned me off the game as a new player.

Or converted you into a CV player.

• Funny 1