You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Play the objectives and focus fire

13 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,058 posts
22,259 battles

LF1NJee.jpg

There was no 'star' here except maybe the Fletcher and arguably the Buffalo. Those are respectable scores for being top tier. My own performance is mediocre, spent most of the game jockeying for position and trying not to get murdered.

But we won despite two players' active efforts to undermine us. Our Cleveland started the match already pink and spent his entire time alive shooting at teammates, never doing any damage to anyone but himself, he'd already crossed the threshold for damage reflection apparently. The Shchors started out green but got baited into returning fire and sank himself when damage reflection kicked in for him.

And still we won. How? There was no mighty carry, but we played the objectives and focused fire. You don't have to be top tier to lend your firepower to the team. You don't have to be a super unicum to play the objectives. You just have to be a bit smart about it.

• Thanks 12
  • Boring 1

[RLGN]
Members
16,585 posts
28,940 battles

Thusly has TruthCat spaketh.

(Seriously... two players with a minus one and you won?!? Good going to you and the rest Lert.)

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[GOCRY]
Members
1,004 posts

Hmmm, a few days ago I had a Cleveland on my team that was a bit Wobbly, and was behaving the same way...

If you account for the 50% XP bonus for winning, the Seattle on the enemy team barely did better than the Cleveland!

[WPORT]
Members
10,919 posts
15,412 battles

:cap_look:

[CVA16]
Members
6,722 posts
20,690 battles

:Smile_trollface:Didn't somebody say something like that Great games were the result of being on a bad team with the opponents being marginally worse?

Edited by Sabot_100

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,058 posts
22,259 battles
36 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

:Smile_trollface:Didn't somebody say something like that Great games were the result of being on a bad team with the opponents being marginally worse?

Yup! Note 1) that I didn't have a great game and B) our team wasn't that great - just worked the objectives better.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,431 posts
14,946 battles

I wouldn't call forth place with 1300 base experience in a bottom tier BB that is supposedly useless according to so many on these forums mediocre. :Smile_honoring:

[ARGSY]
Members
25,092 posts
19,133 battles
11 hours ago, Lert said:

just worked the objectives better.

I had a team last night which had an enemy BB spotted in front of the guns of at least half the team, not decreasing in health in any appreciable way. My team went on to die in a miserable little ball in A cap, having stayed there so long that they got picked off piecemeal when they finally got the nerve to try to extricate themselves. And before you ask, no, there wasn't a CV in the battle and the huddle wasn't tactically appropriate.

[SALVO]
Members
3,658 posts
7,507 battles
15 hours ago, Lert said:

There was no 'star' here except maybe the Fletcher and arguably the Buffalo. Those are respectable scores for being top tier. My own performance is mediocre, spent most of the game jockeying for position and trying not to get murdered.

But we won despite two players' active efforts to undermine us. Our Cleveland started the match already pink and spent his entire time alive shooting at teammates, never doing any damage to anyone but himself, he'd already crossed the threshold for damage reflection apparently. The Shchors started out green but got baited into returning fire and sank himself when damage reflection kicked in for him.

And still we won. How? There was no mighty carry, but we played the objectives and focused fire. You don't have to be top tier to lend your firepower to the team. You don't have to be a super unicum to play the objectives. You just have to be a bit smart about it.

Definitely working the objectives and not getting carried away is the way to go.    The funny thing to me is sometimes these matches where everyone on one team simply just works the game, turn into the biggest steam rolls if just a few on the other side are weak. Other games like that when both teams are working can be the best matches the game has to offer.  

[SALVO]
Members
3,658 posts
7,507 battles
17 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I had a team last night which had an enemy BB spotted in front of the guns of at least half the team, not decreasing in health in any appreciable way. My team went on to die in a miserable little ball in A cap, having stayed there so long that they got picked off piecemeal when they finally got the nerve to try to extricate themselves. And before you ask, no, there wasn't a CV in the battle and the huddle wasn't tactically appropriate.

Ooooof  yeah those are the matches I despise the most.  I do not understand the thinking. It is completely alien to me how people arrive at the conclusion to en masse abandon a flank and do stuff like huddle 3 or 4 BBs behind the same island.   I want to shake those people. I want to sit beside them and ask them what the hell they are thinking. 

Some of the worst is when we are running in a div and everyone comes over to our side. Because then we are faced with the choice of either A. Trying to hammer through the opposing defenses with us leading in which case its too easy to die early. or B. Extracting ourselves from that side and swinging through mid spawn to try and build up some sort of defense before the enemy fleet can completely envelope us.   In either case it places us at an artificial disadvantage that had no reason to arise in the first place.

The number of times we have had to make choice B to attempt salvaging a game is far too great.  

Anyway  lemmings are very painful and you have my sympathies on that one. 

Edited by eviltane

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,058 posts
22,259 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

We've all had those matches.

10 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

I wouldn't call forth place with 1300 base experience in a bottom tier BB that is supposedly useless according to so many on these forums mediocre. :Smile_honoring:

Thanks, but all in all I didn't feel like I contributed much. Also don't forget I got a 20% XP bonus for shooting at ships two tiers higher than me.

Edited by Lert

[SALVO]
Members
8,961 posts
6,663 battles
41 minutes ago, eviltane said:

The number of times we have had to make choice B to attempt salvaging a game is far too great.  

Which option has worked best, A or B? of course it depends a lot on Div and enemy composition, tier difference, etc. But in your experience which one is the lesser evil (:Smile_trollface: no pun intended)?

[SALVO]
Members
3,658 posts
7,507 battles
12 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Which option has worked best, A or B? of course it depends a lot on Div and enemy composition, tier difference, etc. But in your experience which one is the lesser evil (:Smile_trollface: no pun intended)?

To keep it simple  B.   To make it complicated :  It depends on the circumstances. B will almost always be the option we take unless we find ourselves  WAY out to the flank.  But since we come at em with three guys usually only one of us will be out way far.   

I guess you could break it down into 3 possibilities: 

1. ENEMY has underwhelming number:  I guess the most successful yet simply not always possible method.   Push hard enough to kill the enemy DD and maybe some of their support. Take the Cap  then run fulllllllll speed through middle / middle spawn   Leave that side in the HOPES that the potaters  feel brave enough in their numbers and having seen some enemies die that they will keep pushing. 

2. ENEMY has parity in numbers / skill and power. Again try at least hurt the enemy DD and push em out. Then  get atleast 2 out of the three of your div to immediately run full tilt.   If I play DD there are few qualms to send clan mates out to kite the enemy force. 

3. Despite our lemmings  the enemy still has a positional / man power advantage that we can't get through.  Toss some torps. send div DD to mid cap and the other 2 div mates go through spawn to setup a delaying force. 

• Thanks 1