You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
A_Horde_of_Sharks

Exploring secondary ships that benefited from the skill rework

27 comments in this topic

[KIA-C]
Members
370 posts
4,954 battles

The secondary skill rework has come up repeatedly in similar threads with people criticizing the numerous ships that were objectively harmed during the balance changes.  This is understandable since some of their favorite ships have been heavily altered regardless of where you may stand on the issue.  Some of my personal favorites have even been affected.

The amount of feedback to wg regarding the changes has been..... well documented.

Spoiler

901455820_Wowsbeatingadeadhorse.png.5452885dfcf21badb1f34ed8a4e26f40.png

However, one thing I've never seen discussed on the forums are the few ships that may have bizarrely benefited from the secondary rework; so I decided to create this thread dedicated to these rare gems. 

Feel free to leave your nominations below!  :Smile_coin:

These are my personal recommendations:

Scharnhorst and Gneisenau:

The secondary range of Scharnhorst before the update was limited to 7.6 km.  After the rework you can now extend the range of your secondaries to a whopping 9.5km!  Combining this with the buff to the base accuracy of German secondaries means you can get a massive zone of protection around your ship for relatively little investment.  This is nice since you can afford to invest some of your skill points into other areas like fire prevention to improve your durability as you close the distance.

I personally opted to avoid manual secondaries and instead invested in buffing the main battery reload speed since it is very common for enemies to be within your secondary range.  The only issue I found with the build is the effective dispersion of your secondaries is still too great to consistently threaten dds until they start closing the distance.  I instead use my main battery to target destroyers and aim my secondaries at larger targets that are harder to avoid like large cruisers and battleships. 

A division-mate of mine decided to copy the same setup on Gneisenau and got very similar results.  Regardless, I would recommend giving a secondary build on these two a try.  It gave fresh life into these often overlooked ships. 

Call me crazy, but I would dare claim that secondary builds on these two commerce raiders may actually their most optimal build!  If your lovesick from your nerfed GK or your Bismarck, I fully recommend giving these two ships a go!

Thanks for reading!   :cap_rambo:

Edited by A_Horde_of_Sharks

[ARPGT]
[ARPGT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,400 posts
4,782 battles
11 minutes ago, A_Horde_of_Sharks said:

The secondary skill rework has come up repeatedly in similar threads with people criticizing the numerous ships that were objectively harmed during the balance changes.  This is understandable since some of their favorite ships have been heavily altered regardless of where you may stand on the issue.  Some of my personal favorites have even been affected.

The amount of feedback to wg regarding the changes has been..... well documented.

Hide contents

However, one thing I've never seen discussed on the forums are the few ships that may have bizarrely benefited from the secondary rework; so I decided to create this thread dedicated to these rare gems. 

The secondary range of Scharnhorst before the update was limited to 7.6 km.  After the rework you can now extend the range of your secondaries to a whopping 9.5km!  Combining this with the buff to the base accuracy of German secondaries means you can get a massive zone of protection around your ship for relatively little investment.  This is nice since you can afford to invest some of your skill points into other areas like fire prevention to improve your durability as you close the distance.

I personally opted to avoid manual secondaries and instead invested in buffing the main battery reload speed since it is very common for enemies to be within your secondary range.  The only issue I found with the build is the effective dispersion of your secondaries is still too great to consistently threaten dds until they start closing the distance.  I instead use my main battery to target destroyers and aim my secondaries at larger targets that are harder to avoid like large cruisers and battleships. 

A division-mate of mine decided to copy the same setup on Gneisenau and got very similar results.  Regardless, I would recommend giving a secondary build on these two a try.  It gave fresh life into these often overlooked ships. 

Call me crazy, but I would dare claim that secondary builds on these two commerce raiders may actually their most optimal build!  If your lovesick from your nerfed GK or your Bismarck, I fully recommend giving these two ships a go!

I have my Scharnhorst spec'd full balls to the wall in secondaries because I am crazy that way and I love it that way
She's my go-to blow off steam ship and has been in my port since I bought her back when she released and consistently remains my favourite Tier 7 Battleship along with being my favourite historical German Battleship.

~Hunter

• Cool 4

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,452 posts
14,971 battles

My experience is that you can no longer sit at long secondary range and expect hits although they will still probably persuade DD's from getting closer. If you push in they become very deadly again.

[SGSS]
Members
6,269 posts

Don't you no the "community" has spoken and all is doomed.

The world is over, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria.  O and sec are dead.

Of course sec are not dead there tuned to a place they should be.

Thanks for trying something new.

Edited by jags_domain
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 7

[SALVO]
Members
9,060 posts
6,732 battles

I intend to spec my Gneis as full sec (the moment I have a spare captain with enough points). Not because their secondaries being particularly good, but her main battery is so unreliable she needs every bit of damage available to scrap.

[VORTX]
Members
691 posts
8,917 battles
15 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

My experience is that you can no longer sit at long secondary range and expect hits although they will still probably persuade DD's from getting closer. If you push in they become very deadly again.

I agree with that experience. Keeps the yolo’ing DD at bay. 

[GRETA]
Members
1,503 posts
11,493 battles

T7 and below recieved everything from range buffs to accuracy buffs with the rework.  PEF is exceptional now and actually has secondaries that have higher dpm and are more effective than Massachusetts secondaries post rework. 

• Cool 1

Members
674 posts
18,025 battles

Almost all of my favorite secondary ships got some nerf - some got substantial nerfs.

Even some of the lower tier ships like the Normandie and Oklahoma suffered.

I hear the Mikasa is a little better, but haven’t tried it.

The only winner I’ve personally seen is the PEF. It wasn’t terribly accurate before the rework, but at least it is inaccurate over a much larger area now. Other lower tier ships got the boost of course, but others don’t regularly fight in the area where the range matters much.

[FORM]
Members
2,417 posts
13,585 battles
2 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Didn't Agir that pre rework had pretty bad secondary range get a buff to it?

Yup. She's got better secondaries than the Siegfried now.

• Cool 1

Members
674 posts
18,025 battles
3 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Didn't Agir that pre rework had pretty bad secondary range get a buff to it?

Not overall. They shoot further but hit even less than they did before. 

• Cool 1

[WMD]
Members
1,954 posts
11,106 battles

Hindenburg got a big secondary boost, so that's a bonus. 

[UN1]
Members
1,405 posts
4,594 battles
5 hours ago, A_Horde_of_Sharks said:

Reveal hidden contents

Gneisenau really, really benefitted from the rework.  Everything else though, while IFHE is great for 105mm armed German battleships, did not favor well like the Gneisenau did.

[WOLF3]
Members
650 posts
12,412 battles

I run my secondaries out to max range and add manual. The rest is better spent on conceal, fireprevention. Secondaries on the German dds are ok, but not going to save you in the end. T7 is the sweet spot for germans bb brawling right now.

[WOLF3]
Members
650 posts
12,412 battles
1 hour ago, Ranari said:

Gneisenau really, really benefitted from the rework.  Everything else though, while IFHE is great for 105mm armed German battleships, did not favor well like the Gneisenau did.

And considering the American dispersion change the guns are somewhat less bad. To sum it up you have 9.5km secondaries, large bore guns, and actual torpedos that decide a brawl. IMO scharn and gnies are the best T7s in the game right now.

• Cool 2

[FORM]
Members
2,417 posts
13,585 battles
8 hours ago, VeatherVitch said:

Hindenburg got a big secondary boost, so that's a bonus. 

In range, but you can't take any of the captain skills for it anymore.

[KAPPA]
Members
1,558 posts
8,826 battles

People seem to have forgotten Mutsu on this list. She's almost like pre-rework Nagato now, makes her that much better of an operations ship.

[WMD]
Members
1,954 posts
11,106 battles
2 hours ago, TheArc said:

In range, but you can't take any of the captain skills for it anymore.

True, not that I'd have taken them before anyway lol

[FORM]
Members
2,417 posts
13,585 battles
1 hour ago, VeatherVitch said:

True, not that I'd have taken them before anyway lol

Yeah, not on the Hindy unless you wanted to be uber meme. I did use secondary skills on my Sieg, since her secondaries were the reason I bought her in the first place.

• Cool 1

[GT3]
Members
222 posts
8,163 battles

Konig, bayern and pe frederick are true secondary beasts now.

Just tried konig last night.. Had parked nose into the cap with an island on my right... Pretty much 10 min of area denial fun while they tried to dislodge me.

Inb4 im a clubber.. Yes i already know it. :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,593 battles
4 hours ago, CaptHarlock_222 said:

People seem to have forgotten Mutsu on this list. She's almost like pre-rework Nagato now, makes her that much better of an operations ship.

Yeah, Nagato isn't what it used to be. Yes, it's got more range, but it used to be all but suicidal for a DD/CL to get within 7.6km of mine. Now, it only scares off those who are undetermined.

As far as Gneisenau goes, who cares about 9.5km, when your secondaries are nowhere near as effective at 8km than they used to be?

[WOLFG]
Members
34,394 posts
10,593 battles
55 minutes ago, Mego_Splat said:

Konig, bayern and pe frederick are true secondary beasts now.

Just tried konig last night.. Had parked nose into the cap with an island on my right... Pretty much 10 min of area denial fun while they tried to dislodge me.

Inb4 im a clubber.. Yes i already know it. :Smile_trollface:

Yes, definitely see an improvement there. Makes sense though, the dispersion change from the skill was in the opposite direction as it is for T7+ ships.