You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
xTheCanadianx

once upon a time Dd's used to share nightmare stories about Atlanta encounters

16 comments in this topic

[CYPHR]
Alpha Tester, Members, Beta Testers
3,972 posts
21,643 battles

Now you see them looking like this after a Georgia Encounter

giphy.gif.204e502a9c98525002652788d98d05dc.gif

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[BWC]
Beta Testers
2,212 posts
8,474 battles

Mostly because Atlantas have become rare to see alive on the sea.  Most end up on the bottom of the sea before they can engage enemy DDs.

Georgia on the other hand is widespread, and a DD commander who knows their craft will keep one set of tubes ready for when that BB decides to play tag.

[RNGOD]
Members
119 posts
4,846 battles

Clever DD's will stay just out of Atlantas reach, but keep her lit, then bait the Atlanta out of cover to get blapped by BB's.

Or just torp her. 

Though I will say, when a DD gets caught out by an Atlanta, game over. It's like a spider catching a fly

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,023 posts
10,383 battles

Atlanta is still very, very deadly to DDs when she encounters one. Problem is, she’s now trash at everything else she used to be good at.

• Cool 2

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,852 posts
12,996 battles

I hardly play the tiers where I will see an Atlanta unless they group with higher tiers.  Then by the time I have to see them, they are greyed out.

[WOLF1]
Members
1,151 posts
2,228 battles
2 hours ago, xTheCanadianx said:

Now you see them looking like this after a Georgia Encounter

giphy.gif.204e502a9c98525002652788d98d05dc.gif

Austin, Worcester, and smoke mino div: aM I A jOkE tO yOu:cap_rambo::cap_rambo::cap_rambo:

[WOLF3]
Members
31,765 posts
26,651 battles

The best time Atlanta had was when WG updated her and gave her Radar.  Yeah... She originally didn't have Radar.  And DD players ran into those updated ATL and didn't keep abreast of changes were in for a rude surprise.

"Since when did Atlanta have Radar?!?"

LOL

WG had also buffed the durability of USN 127mm/38 gun turrets because ATL was losing her guns left and right.  Before that change, it wasn't surprising for Atlanta to lose half her main battery.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[CYPHR]
3,972 posts
21,643 battles
18 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The best time Atlanta had was when WG updated her and gave her Radar.  Yeah... She originally didn't have Radar.  And DD players ran into those updated ATL and didn't keep abreast of changes were in for a rude surprise.

LOL

WG had also buffed the durability of USN 127mm/38 gun turrets because ATL was losing her guns left and right.  Before that change, it wasn't surprising for Atlanta to lose half her main battery.

i remember those days

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,807 posts
38,296 battles
36 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

LOL

I do remember those times.

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,624 posts
23,918 battles
3 hours ago, Capt_JollyRoger said:

And Flint said...

cry-animated-gif-4.gif

I have an unused one since rework

[WOLF3]
Members
31,765 posts
26,651 battles
1 hour ago, xTheCanadianx said:

i remember those days

56 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

I do remember those times.

The day the patch hit and ATL got Radar, I was out there in combat with a RU DD player who smoked up at around 8-9km.  His plan was okay, and obvious to deal with ATL before the changes:  Let his teammates spot me and hammer my Atlanta in smoke.

I hit Radar and started shooting him up.  I still recall the panic setting in with him, because he stopped firing and there was a rather lengthy delay before he started moving, but it didn't matter because I was still machinegunning him.

After he died he asked what Radar'd him, there were no Radar Cruisers around him.

Me: "My Atlanta did."

Him:  "Since when did Atlanta get radar?!?" which I still remember.

Me: "Today."

LOL

He had a laugh about it, he was a good sport about the surprise.

It was a very different time in the game.  I want to say this was around first half 2016?  Because in 2015 there was a lot less Radar.  Atlanta, Des Moines for example didn't have the consumable.  The game was in a weird transition at the time from Launch in 2015 and the first full year of the game going Live.  Why Atlanta, Des Moines, etc. got Radar when they originally didn't have it is a long story.  You guys probably still remember why.

• Cool 2

[CYPHR]
3,972 posts
21,643 battles

i remember Testing mighty mo with her smoke and pissing off a dd hiding behind an island cuz there was no cruisers around and he was being radar'd

[PVE]
Members
1,587 posts
44,242 battles
3 hours ago, Capt_JollyRoger said:

And Flint said...

cry-animated-gif-4.gif

Most DDs have better range with captain specs.

[WOLF3]
Members
31,765 posts
26,651 battles
26 minutes ago, xTheCanadianx said:

i remember Testing mighty mo with her smoke and pissing off a dd hiding behind an island cuz there was no cruisers around and he was being radar'd

I remember long ago being in a game where we were winning, and some of the last 2 or so ships of the red team were pushed towards this little island area for cover.  They had a DD smoke them and threatened anyone trying to rush around the island corner with torpedoes.  They still had someone spotting most of our ships, so the smoked ships were still shooting at us. 

The funny part was this Zao player of our team sailed to the other side of the island they were at.  The island was of pretty decent size.  What's funny was he used Proximity Spotting to get them detected for us.  Not only that, instead of having CSM1 fitted, he said he had TASM1 fitted.

Z6ToX4Z.png&key=b23e3443dcfac6d043094427

That increased his Proximity Spotting range from the default 2km to 3km.

The map was "Loop."  The red X was where the reds were cornered and smoked up at.  The green Y was where TASM1 Zao Prox Spotted them from.

ZhTveSU.jpg

It was funny when the Zao did that because the reds that were hiding in smoke at that island were typing, "What the f--k is spotting us???"

They weren't being Radar'd.

They weren't being Hydro'd.

They didn't spot our Zao because his Prox Spotting range with TASM1 was better than their own 2km standard range.

Then one of our players go, "Our Zao said he has TASM1 and is Prox Spotting you" while we murdered the ships.

That was the only time in the history of the game where I witnessed TASM1 being of any use for spotting ships.  What made this so funny and such a weird event was no sane Zao player would drop CSM1 in favor of TASM1.  The stars were perfectly lined up for this TASM1-fitted Zao to shine.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1