You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Zath

Zath Chat: New Ships De Zeven Provincien, Dutch C Line, Congress 10.2 782

8 comments in this topic

[-K-]
SuperTest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,387 posts
25,906 battles

In this Zath Chat, we discuss how myself and a few other CCs rolled out teaser information in advance of WG EU's weekly stream. We then talked through the Dutch cruiser line and other new ships.

Do you like how information was released by myself and other CCs?

What would you change if you could?

[ARGSY]
Members
25,131 posts
19,133 battles

It was all very cryptic.

I looked to the South, I looked to the East, but neither of those things showed me anything about Dutch cruisers or Friesland changing nations! :Smile-_tongue: Travel far enough to the southeast and you eventually approach your starting point from the northwest... 

If I were a CC I think I'd have felt obliged to keep my mouth shut. Reveal everything and steal the stream's thunder, or say nothing. But that's just how my mind works. I'd have to keep a spreadsheet with two very broad text columns: Stuff I can only talk to other CCs about, and stuff I'm allowed to show/tell everybody... 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,935 posts
22,964 battles

Putting stuff in CC hands to announce was a great idea. The execution needs a rethink, though. The information was weirdly fragmented because of the way it was spread across channels, and ultimately dispersed the hype rather than built it.

It didn't help, of course, that the content being announced was unfinished, and sort of pedestrian in the grand scheme of things.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
6,387 posts
25,906 battles
57 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It was all very cryptic.

I looked to the South, I looked to the East, but neither of those things showed me anything about Dutch cruisers or Friesland changing nations! :Smile-_tongue: Travel far enough to the southeast and you eventually approach your starting point from the northwest... 

If I were a CC I think I'd have felt obliged to keep my mouth shut. Reveal everything and steal the stream's thunder, or say nothing. But that's just how my mind works. I'd have to keep a spreadsheet with two very broad text columns: Stuff I can only talk to other CCs about, and stuff I'm allowed to show/tell everybody... 

Yeah the south/east was all my idea to build hype. Since the cruiser was built in the Netherlands (to the East) and later sold to Peru (to the South) it made sense to me but I wasn't sure how much I could build/say before the video release. Since I was part of the first wave, I was extremely worried I'd screw something up, especially the timing.

And yes, I have to keep my mouth shut... on a LOT of things! It often means I miss out on "the goods" but I'd rather do that than tarnish my relationship with WG. This has nothing to do with brown-nosing. Over the past 6 years, I've grown closer to them as a player and while I don't always agree with what they do, I don't want to actively cause problems. 

16 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Putting stuff in CC hands to announce was a great idea. The execution needs a rethink, though. The information was weirdly fragmented because of the way it was spread across channels, and ultimately dispersed the hype rather than built it.

It didn't help, of course, that the content being announced was unfinished, and sort of pedestrian in the grand scheme of things.

How would you suggest doing it differently? Honest question, as I'd love to send feedback to WG from the player/viewer perspective! And what did you consider to be unfinished?

[ARGSY]
Members
25,131 posts
19,133 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Zath said:

This has nothing to do with brown-nosing.

I completely accept that (without sarcasm, to be absolutely clear).

On the topic of brown-nosing, I wish I had a dollar for every time I've been accused of taking Wargaming's money to say good things about them! :Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,935 posts
22,964 battles
8 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:
33 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

How would you suggest doing it differently? Honest question, as I'd love to send feedback to WG from the player/viewer perspective! And what did you consider to be unfinished?

So as a viewer who's also trying to play the game and do other things at the same time, the bits of announcement I caught were your DZP pre-look on YouTube, and part of SeaRaptor's Congress release stream. In both cases, I felt like info was being released, but it was just that, info. And not much of it. AND because it's WiP, I can't even get excited about that info, as basically none of it was guaranteed, plus the final product was months away.

But on top of that, the small bits of info being announced on each stream seemed to incentivize the streamers to try and stretch it out. Whether by digging for details, or by simply repeating the information multiple times, the name of the game was trying to get max views from tiny tidbits of content. And of course, WG released the stat sheet on the devblog afterward. It just seemed destined to disappoint.

[-K-]
6,387 posts
25,906 battles
2 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

So as a viewer who's also trying to play the game and do other things at the same time, the bits of announcement I caught were your DZP pre-look on YouTube, and part of SeaRaptor's Congress release stream. In both cases, I felt like info was being released, but it was just that, info. And not much of it. AND because it's WiP, I can't even get excited about that info, as basically none of it was guaranteed, plus the final product was months away.

But on top of that, the small bits of info being announced on each stream seemed to incentivize the streamers to try and stretch it out. Whether by digging for details, or by simply repeating the information multiple times, the name of the game was trying to get max views from tiny tidbits of content. And of course, WG released the stat sheet on the devblog afterward. It just seemed destined to disappoint.

Now that's interesting about incentivizing streamers to stretch it out. We were asked to show at minimum the video and encourage people to check out the official stream, and that's it. Personally, I got a little excited and ran off the deep end researching and looking stuff up. Did you find that with others as well? 

[SALVO]
Members
8,982 posts
6,672 battles

TBH I liked how it all evolved, starting with the initial "fake" teaser/troll, it was all very entertaining. It introduced some emotion into what's usually just a formulaic release of information 

• Cool 1