You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_LordVoldemort

How to be a better player

12 comments in this topic

[-VT-]
Members
13 posts
1,196 battles

Hey guys!

I need a little help again. Here's my profile: https://na.wows-numbers.com/player/1039978704,_LordVoldemort/. I know, yes, it's not the best, and it can be a lot better. The only question here is that how to improve these stats, more clearly, how to be  a better player? I'm constantly improving my PR, avg. DMG, avg. exp, etc etc. But it's not enough, I need the players' help too. 

Thanks for your help,

The Heir of Slytherin

Edited by _LordVoldemort

[KWF]
Members
6,570 posts
7,187 battles

An old but still relevant tutorial/guide, highly recommended.

Also there are various CCs to follow, many with pretty constructive content. LittleWhiteMouse from the link I pasted does excellent premium ship reviews or explores certain game mechanics. @Lord_Zath can also review a replay you send him, offering constructive advice. It also depends on your tastes. For example Potato Quality and Sea Lord Mountbatten show mostly BB stuff. Ahskance focuses on CV play. 

A quick search on forums, Youtube, Twitch can give you some results to help you improve.  There are also some clans geared towards mentoring players that want to improve. Finally, stick around the forums. There might be some toxicity, rage and complaints involved, but they are still a good source for useful content.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[-VT-]
Members
1,354 posts
30,953 battles
3 hours ago, _LordVoldemort said:

Hey guys!

I need a little help again. Here's my profile: https://na.wows-numbers.com/player/1039978704,_LordVoldemort/. I know, yes, it's not the best, and it can be a lot better. The only question here is that how to improve these stats, more clearly, how to be  a better player? I'm constantly improving my PR, avg. DMG, avg. exp, etc etc. But it's not enough, I need the players' help too. 

Thanks for your help,

The Heir of Slytherin

Pray that your CV is better than theirs

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 2

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,624 posts
23,871 battles

Look in YouTube for @iChaseGaminghe has a good series on how to play. May be a little outdated, but the basics still hold.

[-VT-]
Members
1,354 posts
30,953 battles

It wont matter if you CV is bad , 4 games today three with what looked to be brand new CV who wouldn't spot wouldn't hit low ships. On game we almost pulled out but in the end we lost because the CV sailed straight into them and died. I can send the replay if you like

• Boring 1

Members
5,750 posts
11,481 battles

You have a good ways to go to understand the mechanics of the game.  Your stats are fine and far better then mine were at less than 800 games.  Learn the mechanics and learn to use them and everything else will follow.

[OO7]
Members
696 posts
8,275 battles

First, you just need more games, maybe another 3k or so, then you will have a good base of mechanical and in game ship knowledge to serve as a foundation to improve upon.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,902 posts

Its like Bowling, some people throw the ball for life and never hit that perfect 300 game. Most are content to be just average. Its a game.

If you managed to put up a good battle and the devil has misplaced you in heaven 30 minutes before he found out then why thats beautiful. Everything else is statistics.

[-K-]
SuperTest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,389 posts
25,973 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

An old but still relevant tutorial/guide, highly recommended.

Also there are various CCs to follow, many with pretty constructive content. LittleWhiteMouse from the link I pasted does excellent premium ship reviews or explores certain game mechanics. @Lord_Zath can also review a replay you send him, offering constructive advice. It also depends on your tastes. For example Potato Quality and Sea Lord Mountbatten show mostly BB stuff. Ahskance focuses on CV play. 

A quick search on forums, Youtube, Twitch can give you some results to help you improve.  There are also some clans geared towards mentoring players that want to improve. Finally, stick around the forums. There might be some toxicity, rage and complaints involved, but they are still a good source for useful content.

o/

• Cool 1

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Members
375 posts
5,504 battles

I find it helps a lot to really get to know a ship before I even take it into PvP...I'll read/watch reviews...set it up with the optimal modules and captain build (can make all the difference in how a ship performs)...look at its armor layout so I know what I can and cant get away with...Often run its maiden voyage in COOP to get a feel for how it behaves / moves...It all cuts down on trial and error...and helps you be successful right from the start in a ship...Learning a whole lot about it along the way...Nothing helps more than games played though...I was totally clueless and hopeless until after 1k randoms...

[SALVO]
Members
3,664 posts
7,530 battles
5 hours ago, _LordVoldemort said:

Hey guys!

Thanks for your help,

The Heir of Slytherin

First and most important:    YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK!   Wanting to get better and recognizing that you can improve is the biggest step. 

As others have pointed out you really do not have a lot of games yet and quite frankly a flat 50% at 500 some games is very solid start for a newbie. 

If I was you:

1. Read that guide the others posted

2. Find a good clan of experienced players to bounce ideas off of / talk and learn. The PEEDs group has some VERY GOOD players. And I assume they are willing to help their noobies.  So you got that one covered.

3.  Watch youtube videos from guys like: Lord Zath with his replay theater,  PotatoeQuality, Ichases training academy. IF you can handle more salty (and controversial) but also good players watch Flamus and Flambas videos.

4.  Try to division where possible.  While divisions with good players themselves are great for boosting win rates. The more important part is that with good players you also often get chatty players that will talk about what they are seeing on the minimap in regards to threats, problems and opportunites.  I learned soooooo much about this game  just from playing with others that constantly chatted with their division about what is going on in the game. 

5. Also check out this guide :  https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/9vgr3i/a_guide_how_to_get_good_at_world_of_warships/       .  It talks a lot about how to get to the base thinking / a foundation of later becoming a great player.

Goood luck sir!  

• Thanks 2

[KIA-C]
Members
370 posts
4,954 battles
15 hours ago, eviltane said:

Wanting to get better and recognizing that you can improve is the biggest step.

I couldn't have said it better.  This advice alone is worth more than any basic guide could ever give.

You seem to be doing well with battleships, particularly the germans.  They have the lowest skill floor of all ship types but do provide some fantastic benefits for an advanced player. 

As a BB main, here is some advice I can give:

The higher in tier you go, the more important crossfires become.  Battleships rely on citadeling enemies more than any other ship class in the game.  The speed of your warship can often determine what kind of crossfiring is available. 

For early USN battleships, playing the map center with islands covering your flanks is the best way to look for crossfires.  This is because their slow speed can cause you to become isolated with no targets to shoot for minutes at a time.  Holding a center position ensures there is always an abundance of enemies to shoot at. 

In a faster battleship such as Georgia and Alsace, taking flanking positions around the sides becomes a great alternative since their ability to reposition allows them to be more forgiving in open-water engagements.  

Learn how to angle your ship and memorize your autobounce angles to achieve the best results from your warship.  This becomes especially important in ships with a raised citadel, such as Dunkerque or ships with vulnerable bow armor, such as Colorado. 

As eviltane said, finding a division to sail with is a great way to learn the game.  Even the most well conceived plans rarely survive past the drawing board.  Random matches are chaotic.  Good players can adapt quickly to changes and formulate new strategies on the fly.  Playing with these types of players can be very useful for learning the game.

May the Kracken be with you!  Always!