Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Jan_van_Galen

Low Tier Ships

24 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

65
[CSN]
Members
25 posts
11,091 battles

Recently I watched a live stream where several contributors spoke about several topics - and there was an announcement of more Dutch ships and names were mentioned. At any rate, one of the designers/programmers commented that "The low tier ships sell, but players dont play them".   I would think it would be obvious why they don't.

 I went out and bought an Aurora, and soon found, that not only was it a mediocre ship, it contributed nothing to any event.

No ship below Tier 5 is of any use if you are trying to participate in any event.  This is why I suggest to new players -don't bother with anything below Tier 5. 

This could be remedied if lower tier ships contributed to events or were allowed tp participate in some scenarios. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,121
[RLGN]
Members
16,607 posts
29,037 battles

You’re right, but I think WG is afraid of seal clubbing, and/or event spamming with low tier ships reducing the population in higher tiers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,336
Members
2,198 posts
29,399 battles

Actually, low tier ships contribute to the daily gross XP towards containers. I played over 6000 games in a tier 1 Black Swan and garnered many boxes as well as flags in that boat. Overall, though, their contribution is negligible, and I only have premium low tier boats in my fleet at present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
375
[WOLF1]
Members
1,151 posts
2,228 battles
46 minutes ago, Jan_van_Galen said:

Recently I watched a live stream where several contributors spoke about several topics - and there was an announcement of more Dutch ships and names were mentioned. At any rate, one of the designers/programmers commented that "The low tier ships sell, but players dont play them".   I would think it would be obvious why they don't.

 I went out and bought an Aurora, and soon found, that not only was it a mediocre ship, it contributed nothing to any event.

No ship below Tier 5 is of any use if you are trying to participate in any event.  This is why I suggest to new players -don't bother with anything below Tier 5. 

This could be remedied if lower tier ships contributed to events or were allowed tp participate in some scenarios. 

Yep, although these ships have historical significance, such as Mikasa and Aurora with their duel in the battle of Tsushima (spelling) as well as campeltown that led the daring raid, ramming the only dry dock large enough for Tirpritz and blowing it up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
302
[GLF]
Members
1,185 posts
18,964 battles
55 minutes ago, Jan_van_Galen said:

 I would think it would be obvious why they don't.

It sure is, and it ain't really because of any events being T5 and above... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,564
[SGSS]
Members
6,269 posts
56 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

Actually, low tier ships contribute to the daily gross XP towards containers. I played over 6000 games in a tier 1 Black Swan and garnered many boxes as well as flags in that boat. Overall, though, their contribution is negligible, and I only have premium low tier boats in my fleet at present.

Why on earth do have over 6k matches in t1....:cap_wander:

You be you but wow.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
112 posts
3,528 battles
17 minutes ago, Boomer625 said:

Yep, although these ships have historical significance, such as Mikasa and Aurora with their duel in the battle of Tsushima (spelling) as well as campeltown that led the daring raid, ramming the only dry dock large enough for Tirpritz and blowing it up 

 

It's the main reason i play these ships, i have Mikasa, Emden, Dreadnought, Nassau, Bellerophon, Kaiser, i play these ships because they are these ships and personally i don't care if they count towards any events or not and just to be clear i do have higher tier ships, i even got a free Marco Polo from one of the Italian containers but i'd rather play a historical tier II then a phony baloney tier IX.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,331
[EQRN]
Members
2,284 posts
21,149 battles
1 hour ago, Jan_van_Galen said:

At any rate, one of the designers/programmers commented that "The low tier ships sell, but players dont play them".   I would think it would be obvious why they don't. 

Double CVs where most ships have little to zero AA could has more to do with that than “they don’t get to participate in events”. Those designers/programmers will not admit that, so they sacrifice part of their own game to save face (and sell higher tier ships)

  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,336
Members
2,198 posts
29,399 battles
22 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Why on earth do have over 6k matches in t1....:cap_wander:

You be you but wow.

This is now considered "vintage" WoWs tier 1 play:

Oh what fun....

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,022 posts
4,217 battles
1 hour ago, theLaalaa said:

Actually, low tier ships contribute to the daily gross XP towards containers. I played over 6000 games in a tier 1 Black Swan and garnered many boxes as well as flags in that boat. Overall, though, their contribution is negligible, and I only have premium low tier boats in my fleet at present.

That was "back in the good ol' days", before power creep and the gimmicks got too bad.  Plus, seals were better protected back then, with a more pronounced slope of advancement.  That time at tier one, had probably the best balanced matches in WOWS, with (I have heard...late to the party) a bunch of experienced players just fighting it out on relatively even terms.  Ah, well, there was no rubles in it, I guess, ...so WG stopped doing anything meaningful at tiers below five.  So much for "Historical Naval Warfare".  Yeah, I'm a little bitter about it, but only because they keep harping on the "historical angle".

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,107
[WPORT]
Members
11,000 posts
15,489 battles
2 hours ago, Jan_van_Galen said:

 

This could be remedied if lower tier ships contributed to events or were allowed tp participate in some scenarios. 

I agree with that sentiment.

Though, I often use low-tier ships to complete Naval Battles objectives (such as getting ribbons or doing 10k damage).  They do not work well when trying to get 300 base XP, though.
And, as others have pointed out, low-tier ships do contribute towards the total XP needed to earn one of the three daily containers.

Personally, I enjoy playing low-tier ships.  I was sailing my Friant for the heck of it and having some fun in random battles recently.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
112 posts
3,528 battles
18 minutes ago, surratus said:

That was "back in the good ol' days", before power creep and the gimmicks got too bad.  Plus, seals were better protected back then, with a more pronounced slope of advancement.  That time at tier one, had probably the best balanced matches in WOWS, with (I have heard...late to the party) a bunch of experienced players just fighting it out on relatively even terms.  Ah, well, there was no rubles in it, I guess, ...so WG stopped doing anything meaningful at tiers below five.  So much for "Historical Naval Warfare".  Yeah, I'm a little bitter about it, but only because they keep harping on the "historical angle".

 

I may be new to WoWS but as a WoT player i'm not new to WG and their idea of historical and their idea of historical has quite a bit of flexibility to it.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,564
[SGSS]
Members
6,269 posts
1 hour ago, theLaalaa said:

This is now considered "vintage" WoWs tier 1 play:

Oh what fun....

Nice.   I shocked you could get so many real players.

I would like to play 3 and 4 but they dont contribute to anything.

Langley is rusting away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,010
[JEDI-]
Members
2,685 posts
6,939 battles

There's no money in low tier ships for them. 

All the money is in the high tier gimmick of the month ships.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42
[BB_B]
Members
104 posts
1,200 battles

I prefer historical ships as well, top 3 played are Tirpitz, Eugen, Mass.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
349
[WOLFA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,337 posts

well at least low level prem's still good for cmdr xp, but yeah would love more gameplay events with them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
342
[GC]
Alpha Tester
949 posts
4,372 battles

High-tier is a boring snipe-fest. Tier 5 and below, you pull off things that would would be suicidal to attempt at 8+. You can take risks and make plays. You can be aggressive and push. You can be straight-up dumb and get away with it a lot of the time. Consequently, spending too much time in the newbie tiers breeds bad habits, but it's just more fun. Plus, turn-of-the-century design philosophy resulted in some stunning-looking ships, so there's that, too.

As far as low-tier premiums go, I have by far most of them, and I play them from time to time, even if only in co-op. When I'm only plunking down a few dollars for a pretty-looking ship, it doesn't bother me too much whether it's competitive or not. Oleg? Varyag? Sure, they paled in comparison to Bogatyr (at least pre-10.0), but they're derpy fun, and pwning lowbies in a ship all the CCs say is garbage is hilarious.

The biggest problem is that low-tiers are more difficult to achieve contribution towards event progress with, if not straight-up ineligible. Thus, when there's an event on, which there pretty much constantly is, these days, playing anything lower than the minimum required tier is a waste of time that would otherwise be better spent playing ships that can contribute to completing missions and whatnot. Also there's no operations for them. I would LOVE it if they gave us a tier 3 or tier 4 operation.

--Helms

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
782 posts
6,083 battles
3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

You’re right, but I think WG is afraid of seal clubbing, and/or event spamming with low tier ships reducing the population in higher tiers.

If WG cared about seal clubbing they would have nerfed t4 cvs to oblivion or cap low tier captain skills to 14 points, they just dont want low tiers to be popular because there is no profit there.

 

may be the solution is to find a way to make low tiers more profitable for WG, may be then they will care to make lower tiers more atractive.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
215
[CUDA]
Members
568 posts
9,216 battles

Let us fulfill missions of some kind in low tier and I'd play them more. Low tier is fun.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,336
Members
2,198 posts
29,399 battles
1 hour ago, jags_domain said:

Nice.   I shocked you could get so many real players.

I had many matches of 3 to 6 boats per side, but it was its own community. We knew each other and played hard with and against each other. There were far, far more "navy seals" in tier 1 than there were "baby seals," and I demonstrate that before many battles by showing the Matchmaking Monitor. As I said, you're looking at vintage WoWs before WG admission of a dwindling new player-base by the introduction of bots into random battles.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,385
[WMD]
Members
1,952 posts
11,096 battles

Part of the problem with low tiers is the ships aren't fun to play for some(many?) people. 

Sure I can do dumb things and get away with them at T4, but it also means I can't punish someone else for being dumb. What some people consider "boring" game play others consider a "thinking" game. The rewards are much lower down in the low tier slums as well, so when farming credits, FXP, CEXP, etc. the juice isn't worth the squeeze. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,121
[RLGN]
Members
16,607 posts
29,037 battles
46 minutes ago, pepe_trueno said:

If WG cared about seal clubbing they would have nerfed t4 cvs to oblivion or cap low tier captain skills to 14 points, they just dont want low tiers to be popular because there is no profit there.

As far as I personally am concerned they have. Whatever the faults of the current FPS carriers, they are utter garbage compared to the old RTS carriers.

46 minutes ago, pepe_trueno said:

...may be the solution is to find a way to make low tiers more profitable for WG, may be then they will care to make lower tiers more atractive.

Oh; like perhaps making ships and events players have been asking for for ages? (Russo-Japanese war ships; Great White Fleet ships; British pre-dreds, French floating hotel pre-dreds, USS Olympia, (lol, 2 x 2 203mm at T2, even if it couldn’t hit the side of a barn...))

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
112 posts
3,528 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

As far as I personally am concerned they have. Whatever the faults of the current FPS carriers, they are utter garbage compared to the old RTS carriers.

Oh; like perhaps making ships and events players have been asking for for ages? (Russo-Japanese war ships; Great White Fleet ships; British pre-dreds, French floating hotel pre-dreds, USS Olympia, (lol, 2 x 2 203mm at T2, even if it couldn’t hit the side of a barn...))

I would love for them to make the Borodino or the Aleksandr III (since the name Kynaz Suvorov is already in the game), in fact it would be the one and only Russian ship in the game that i would play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
65
[CSN]
Members
25 posts
11,091 battles
On 4/14/2021 at 8:21 PM, thehelmsman said:

High-tier is a boring snipe-fest. Tier 5 and below, you pull off things that would would be suicidal to attempt at 8+. You can take risks and make plays. You can be aggressive and push. You can be straight-up dumb and get away with it a lot of the time. Consequently, spending too much time in the newbie tiers breeds bad habits, but it's just more fun. Plus, turn-of-the-century design philosophy resulted in some stunning-looking ships, so there's that, too.

As far as low-tier premiums go, I have by far most of them, and I play them from time to time, even if only in co-op. When I'm only plunking down a few dollars for a pretty-looking ship, it doesn't bother me too much whether it's competitive or not. Oleg? Varyag? Sure, they paled in comparison to Bogatyr (at least pre-10.0), but they're derpy fun, and pwning lowbies in a ship all the CCs say is garbage is hilarious.

The biggest problem is that low-tiers are more difficult to achieve contribution towards event progress with, if not straight-up ineligible. Thus, when there's an event on, which there pretty much constantly is, these days, playing anything lower than the minimum required tier is a waste of time that would otherwise be better spent playing ships that can contribute to completing missions and whatnot. Also there's no operations for them. I would LOVE it if they gave us a tier 3 or tier 4 operation.

--Helms

Agree 100%

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×