Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteShark

ZF-6 worth the grinding or to buy?

49 comments in this topic

Members
64 posts
7,526 battles

Greetings Captains :Smile_honoring: 

I'm just a casual player that loves to collect -in preference- real steel and historical ships. I only participated in one Dockyard event, the Hizen one, I paid for it cause I like Battleships and the Hizen is pretty damn gorgeous for me.

So this is another Dockyard event, a DD one. I wondering if this ship is worth the effort or the money to get it. For me, grinding is a streesfull and painfull experience, so if this destroyer is a "gudboat" I may be get it, but I wondering

what other players think about it. Im not a DD fan, but I love my Haida and also I have in my list to buy the Cossack and the Friesland, I have the doubloons for them, also for the ZF-6, but In resume, I don't want to boring you all,

is the ZF-6 a must have Destroyer? Like the Haida or the Cossack for example? Or even the T-61? Or is just another decent Destroyer and period? Many thanks for your time.

:Smile_honoring:

phpdeIimA.jpg

Edited by xXxBaba_YagaxXx
  • Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
6,567 posts
7,175 battles

No idea as there's not much CC coverage aside from a couple of videos. 

What I can tell you with certainty is that Haida, Cossack and Asashio are absolutely excellent  and unique purchases.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
362 posts

No idea, though I've already seen one being used by another player. I think that's crazy. You can easy get 4-8 upgrades in a few days, and then maybe spend cash.

• Cool 1

[T_O_P]
Members
650 posts

...I've been looking for reasons to get ZF-6...

...and I'm having a pretty tough time seeing any.

(maybe already having so many other ships, and DDs, in port has something to do with it? idk)

Tbh, I just... dont feel very "WOW'ed" atm.

^see what I did there? :Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by Hammer_n_Sickle
  • Cool 3

[VAF]
[VAF]
Members
14 posts

Correct me if I'm wrong (am noob) but my understanding is that you have to spend at least some amount of doubloons for those last 3 shipbuilding phases. Or is there a path to grind it without spending any?

[WKY19]
Beta Testers
2,313 posts
15,141 battles
4 minutes ago, Driven_B4U said:

Correct me if I'm wrong (am noob) but my understanding is that you have to spend at least some amount of doubloons for those last 3 shipbuilding phases. Or is there a path to grind it without spending any?

You've gotta pay up if you want to get the Z-F6. You have to buy three ship phases; 5k dubs/20 bucks if you buy the starter pack that just has the three phases you need. Over 6000 dubs if you don't buy the starter pack.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,650 posts
26,547 battles
3 minutes ago, Driven_B4U said:

No, it's that way by design, especially if a player is not familiar with how these dockyard events go.

You grind ages and towards the end, realize you aren't getting the ship until you fork out some cash.

• Boring 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,650 posts
26,547 battles
2 minutes ago, Driven_B4U said:

Exactly, so if you have to pay anyway, I guess I don't understand what OP means by grinding for it.

There's what I call several degrees on paying for a Dockyard Ship.  Yes, if you want them, you have to pay money for them.  However:

You can do regular grinding as normal and then pay the minimum to complete your acquisition of the ship.

But WG also structured Dockyards with the ability just buy your way out altogether and get the ship.  However, if you buy out like this, and still do the Dockyard missions and complete phases (still have to grind it out), you get Coal & Steel as extras.

Whether the Dockyard Ship is worth doing the minimum spending or worth going full whale, well, that's up in the air.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[-VT-]
Members
1,354 posts
30,953 battles

I thought if you did the grind you only have to buy the last two not three stages?

[O_O]
Members
7,116 posts
17,770 battles
3 minutes ago, vikingno2 said:

I thought if you did the grind you only have to buy the last two not three stages?

Look at the cheapest Dockyard "starter pack".  That is how many stages you have to buy to complete the ship.  If you buy the "starter pack", you get those stages at a bit of a discount.  If you wait until the end, you pay full price for those stages.

[GNOME]
[GNOME]
Beta Testers
156 posts
7,549 battles

I am also extremely interested in opinions on the ZF-6.  I've heard in a discord or two that it'll be good, but I'm shopping around for second thoughts.

Comparing ZF-6 to Z-46 on wows-numbers you see:

ZF-6 has less DPM on both shell types

ZF-6 has torpedoes with less range, but more damage and higher speed

ZF-6 is slightly more stealthy

https://na.wows-numbers.com/ships/compare/?id[0]=3740153648&id[1]=4180555568

• Cool 1

Members
366 posts
11,620 battles

Seems to be about the same, but a slightly weaker hull, but lower detectability.   And less DPM.

Edited by brewakeg

Members
366 posts
11,620 battles

...and a little slower.

Edited by brewakeg

[USCG]
Members
797 posts
24,460 battles

I picked up the Z-44 and without hydro I feel like she’s missing a big part of being a German DD. 

Still on the fence with what I want to do. I know I’m going to be away from the game in May and early June so I might just pass on this one. Then again I like DDs...

• Cool 1

[LSNB]
Members
251 posts
7,827 battles
19 hours ago, CankedTank said:

I am also extremely interested in opinions on the ZF-6.  I've heard in a discord or two that it'll be good, but I'm shopping around for second thoughts.

ZF-6 has MBRB, so for 15s it has DPM rivaling Mogador with MBRB and Friesland. 

• Cool 1

[DOG]
Members
1,316 posts
13,748 battles
20 hours ago, CankedTank said:

Also, turret rotation is sloooow (although it's at least a bit faster than Z-44, which is extremely painful), it it has 2,900 fewer HP, and the ship itself is slower.  As far as I can tell, you need to make the most out of the extra stealth and the speed of the torpedoes to make it useful.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
25,131 posts
19,133 battles

Do the grind, cut the price down as much as you can, and watch for the gameplay that emerges in the coming weeks. That's what I do. By the time I've finished the grind, I have enough information to decide whether the ship is good enough to spend doubloons finishing off and obtaining.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[SVEN]
Beta Testers
284 posts
8,975 battles

Speaking only for myself: the ship may or may not be worth it.  I have a T-61, a Z-39 and a Z-35 so it's not like I have hard-up for German DDs.  I imagine I'll have a Z-44 eventually as well.  I certainly can't justify it from any standpoint of a it filling a gap.  While you can recoup a large portion of the cost in goods, it's still 6-7k doubloons to invest if you decided to grab all 11 phases available in the starter pack.  There's also the fact that Mass Effect Legendary Edition will be out right in the middle of this and I know I'm going to want to binge that fairly hardcore.

On the flip side, I'm going to be playing anyway and the directives are fairly consistent in terms of being doable, even in coop.  4-5-6 are a noticeable step up in difficulty but I will be forced to take time off almost every week starting next Friday anyway.

For those considering it, just don't fall into the trap of spending the doubloons and then not finishing.  You have to buy 3.  You can at a discount (albeit not a great one).  The extra 3950 doubloons effectively eliminates the need for last directive and most of the sixth one.  Totally worth it in my opinion, especially if you intend/are able to grind out those directives anyway and recoup some of your costs.

• Thanks 1

[PHD]
Members
1,962 posts
7,607 battles
22 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Look at the cheapest Dockyard "starter pack".  That is how many stages you have to buy to complete the ship.  If you buy the "starter pack", you get those stages at a bit of a discount.  If you wait until the end, you pay full price for those stages.

My issue is if you buy the starter packs and then once you start you see that the grind is going to be hard or virtually impossible. But I think WG learned from the PR event.

It is a bit of a gamble to get the starter pack right now. Like OP was wondering, is the ship good, ND is the grind going to be worth it?

Not much of a KM DD person, though I do have T61 and Z39, but no great desire to get this ship yet.

[-1]
Members
826 posts
12,350 battles

I heard it's a French DD "upgraded" by Germans. ZF-6 has Mogador torps and guns reload booster. ZF-6 has smoke. The price you pay is slow turret traverse, not much speed and no hydro. But you get nice concealment. I guess the playstyle of the ship is to get closer to a target, hit with torps and use reload booster to set on fire using smoke for cover. The only problem is that your torps are 8km and it's T9 ship which means it's a pretty risky gameplay. I guess it should be OK.

[NAP]
Members
50 posts
5,386 battles

I don't have the ship but i wasn't impressed with it or with Felix Schultz when i fought them on ranked. I killed them with the guns from a Ostergotland. Not really what you call a gun boat. The news article explains that they are well armored and high hp ships but my HE bullets eat away all their health no problems and their 150mm cannons didn't do all that much. 

[T_O_P]
Members
650 posts

If you buy both starter packs (~$55?) then you will need to complete only the remaining 11 stages. And if you'll continue beyond that each "stage token" (or whatever they are called) will be cashed in for the coal and steel.

2 minutes ago, dimzzy said:

I heard it's a French DD "upgraded" by Germans. ZF-6 has Mogador torps and guns reload booster. ZF-6 has smoke. The price you pay is slow turret traverse, not much speed and no hydro. But you get nice concealment. I guess the playstyle of the ship is to get closer to a target, hit with torps and use reload booster to set on fire using smoke for cover. The only problem is that your torps are 8km and it's T9 ship which means it's a pretty risky gameplay. I guess it should be OK.

I completely agree, They should really extend the range to maybe 9 or 10 km (even though they are fast torps, but still).

[T_O_P]
Members
650 posts
4 minutes ago, plutia_planeptune said:

I don't have the ship but i wasn't impressed with it or with Felix Schultz when i fought them on ranked. I killed them with the guns from a Ostergotland. Not really what you call a gun boat. The news article explains that they are well armored and high hp ships but my HE bullets eat away all their health no problems and their 150mm cannons didn't do all that much

My impression is that wg wants us to make more emphasis on the torps (because they are "fast-er" than other KM DDs), but they really need to extend the range. But tbh I still can't figure out what it is that makes ZF-6 so "special" and above other KM DDs to make people want to buy/grind it. It seems you can achieve everything the same with Z-46 and Z-52 (and maybe even better in some ways?). 

Sign in to follow this