You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
barbaroja_Ar

New captain skills rationale

3 comments in this topic

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,624 posts
23,876 battles

Hi all,

I've been reading a lot of posts regarding the different skills and how they affect the playstyle.

I wonder what's the rationale behind the "development" of those skills.

Take for example CQC, what was the behavior the developers were expecting from the players?

Or deadeye.

There is surely an expected new meta or playstyle I'm not getting to understand as a whole. 

TIA

[NG-NL]
Members
6,604 posts
10,993 battles

More variety, more or less.

However, secondary battery accuracy nerf means you see fewer of them. I believe most players went survival build (FP and the like) in their BBs.

SCs are shafted a bit since can't take BOS skill. Cruisers play more or less the same, though a few like Henri and Hindenburg can run lighthouse builds.

DDs got some nice buffs such as a skill for longer smoke duration.

Most of the CV buff is from AA skills now separate from secondary skills.

What WG did poorly was DeadEye. Promotes campfest meta. You want to stop it, well, improve ship defense. It scales up like offense tier by tier until T8, then only offense improves. Sure, the better armor modeling helps a bit, but nowhere enough. We told WG DeadEye is a bad idea, but they insisted nope, we need the data--we shouldn't have to raise a royal stink for weeks for them to acknowledge a hard fact.

Of course, the raised maximum cap kinda shafted long-time players that didn't farm lots of ECXP, and newcomers are looking at months of religious grinding just to reach 19 pointers. Mixed feelings on that.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
34,370 posts
10,591 battles
1 hour ago, barbaroja_Ar said:

Hi all,

I've been reading a lot of posts regarding the different skills and how they affect the playstyle.

I wonder what's the rationale behind the "development" of those skills.

Take for example CQC, what was the behavior the developers were expecting from the players?

Or deadeye.

There is surely an expected new meta or playstyle I'm not getting to understand as a whole. 

TIA

My take is that they wanted to reduce the primacy of brawling and secondaries, and give something to people who liked playing at range.

I give them points for the idea, but they keep underestimating both how good players can get mileage out of a mechanic, and overestimating the intelligence of mediocre players.

• Cool 1