You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Bandi73

ST: New "firing" mechanic....the cartoonization goes on.......

112 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,065 posts
53,644 battles

As a co-op main, this new mechanic sounds good.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
25,140 posts
19,146 battles

Would you like to address what they're trying to achieve rather than the visuals you're not going to like?

[WOLFG]
Members
13,270 posts
12,537 battles
1 minute ago, Patton5150 said:

As a co-op main, this new mechanic sounds good.

With the nation change, I was going to give up on the Friesland.

But now.......

And I know it isn't certain.

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,624 posts
23,871 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Would you like to address what they're trying to achieve rather than the visuals you're not going to like?

Indeed, can't see the rationale behind this mechanic.

A bonus to high ROF ships? Punish ships that go black?

No clue on what they try to achieve.

[-BCO-]
Members
2,938 posts
5,049 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

There are plenty of ways to improve this game, to use an understatement. And...my opinion wasn't about visuals. Sadly.

[ARGSY]
Members
25,140 posts
19,146 battles
Just now, Bandi73 said:

And...my opinion wasn't about visuals.

Your use of the word "cartoonization" certainly implied it.

• Boring 1
  • Meh 3

[-BCO-]
Members
2,938 posts
5,049 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Your use of the word "cartoonization" certainly implied it.

It was meant more like the "evolution" of Civ.. In my opinion the number 2 was the best......

• Cool 1

[EQRN]
Members
2,284 posts
21,140 battles

I could see a mechanic where you accuracy increases as you track a target for sometime.  As it is, a snapshot salvo is every bit as accurate, or inaccurate, as a salvo where you stare at the target for several seconds, assuming the target isn’t maneuvering.  The way this gimmick appears to be heading is to shoot the moment an opponent is spotted and never stop shooting - not so sure about that.

• Cool 4

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,587 posts

agreed...   

i mean if it were something like after 2 salvo's at same target you get a slight boost to dispersion (call it "finding the range") or something that you might be able to suspend your disbelief

will we get some nice purple particle effects added when we trigger the bonus too?  and what could that bonus be?  "for example" implies it could be "anything"

But do we need more gimmicks tampering with targetting and damage dealing...?

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,475 posts
4,774 battles

I kinda like it.  It models how gunships progressively adjust their aim by watching shell splashes and "walking" the aimpoint onto the target.  Maybe it won't be worth it, but it should be fun to test.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 6

[DOG]
Members
1,316 posts
13,764 battles
14 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

I could see a mechanic where you accuracy increases as you track a target for sometime.  As it is, a snapshot salvo is every bit as accurate, or inaccurate, as a salvo where you stare at the target for several seconds, assuming the target isn’t maneuvering.  The way this gimmick appears to be heading is to shoot the moment an opponent is spotted and never stop shooting - not so sure about that.

Or even as you fire more salvos at the same target.  Your gunners see where the splashes land.  First salvo long.  Second salvo short.  Third salvo should be closer, etc.  Could do this for secondaries also, particularly if the target is selected as the primary target, and stays in range, so dispersion would gradually decrease with each salvo.

• Cool 3

[FORM]
Members
2,417 posts
13,579 battles
38 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight?

Sometimes I think they write it in Russian, put it in Google Translate to German, Spanish, French, Russian again and then English.

• Cool 2

[USN]
Members
1,712 posts
21,724 battles

So this seems like their attempt to add in a  “range finding salvoes” where every salvo you take should on paper make it easier to hit your target. This seems like the higher your ship’s ROF, the more likely you’ll benefit though

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
7,464 posts

How in the hell is WG going to balance this.  A Wooster behind an island that is using map position to deny the cap to the enemy DDs, a Shima using stealth, subs that will have to wait between torp reloads, these ships will be boned.  WG wants this game to be all attack all the time.  Don't think, just attack.  No thanks.

[-BCO-]
Members
2,938 posts
5,049 battles
2 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

So this seems like their attempt to add in a  “range finding salvoes” where every salvo you take should on paper make it easier to hit your target. This seems like the higher your ship’s ROF, the more likely you’ll benefit though

This is already part of the game. Bot ships actively employ this already.

[-BCO-]
Members
2,938 posts
5,049 battles
2 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

How in the hell is WG going to balance this.  A Wooster behind an island that is using map position to deny the cap to the enemy DDs, a Shima using stealth, subs that will have to wait between torp reloads, these ships will be boned.  WG wants this game to be all attack all the time.  Don't think, just attack.  No thanks.

They won't.Balance takes work, thought, time. They take the easy way. Voila cartoonization. Nice visulas with b.s content.

• Boring 2

[SALVO]
Members
8,996 posts
6,709 battles

jeezz... :etc_swear:... "Be the casual update 10.6", because aiming is too hard.

Next ST is missiles I guess

• Thanks 1

[SALVO]
Members
8,996 posts
6,709 battles
8 minutes ago, Bandi73 said:

They won't.Balance takes work, thought, time. They take the easy way. Voila cartoonization. Nice visulas with b.s content.

IMO, this is euphemism for accuracy bonus. If you are stupid enough and can't hit sh1t after 3 or 4 salvos, the system rewards you with autohit. Since DE flopped, a more aggressive method is needed to make potatoes useful. Intro the ultimate equalizing concept, bonus to bad aim and general failure.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
25,140 posts
19,146 battles
24 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

This seems like the higher your ship’s ROF, the more likely you’ll benefit though

Yeah, if this is going to work, I would think there needs to be some sort of ship-specific modifier for how quickly consecutive hits push the bar up and the time it takes to reset progress (you can't judge a Kansas not firing for 40 seconds on the same basis as a Harugumo or Friesland). Otherwise this is going to become World of Almost-Dead Destroyers With Adrenaline Rush very quickly. :cap_rambo:

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[BWC]
Beta Testers
2,212 posts
8,466 battles

I can't see how this will work.  'Within a certain distance' would basically be within the dispersal distance of most rounds if the person was anywhere near the target, and those ships with lower dispersion and higher rates of fire would become murderously accurate very quickly as opposed to the ones that might actually need this, which would be the ones that shoot slow and have terrible dispersion.

I mean, who wants a Des Moines that can put every one of its rounds on the same spot on a ship just because a bar was filled up?  

Sure, maybe dispersion currently is a pain, but it's better than what this would result in.

Edit:  The explanation by WG as to what this is supposed to represent is throwing off my analysis of the actual effect, as I think it has others.  Saying increased accuracy bar equals faster fire seems contra-indicative, but it will still be a problem.  Main battery reload on a Des Moines?  And we still have the issue where the ships that need it most will have the hardest time using it.

Edited by Jakob_Knight

[PVE]
Members
7,464 posts
3 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

IMO, this is euphemism for accuracy bonus. If you are stupid enough and can't hit sh1t after 3 or 4 salvos, the system rewards you with autohit. Since DE flopped, a more aggressive method is needed to make potatoes useful. Intro the ultimate equalizing concept, bonus to bad aim and general failure.

At this point they are talking about a reload boost, not a buff to accuracy.  Although, there is already aim adjustments built into the target lock.  This adjustment is more of a hindered to players that know how to aim, but I guess it allow the guy with less than a hundreds game to buy a high tier ship and hit something....

2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yeah, if this is going to work, I would think there needs to be some sort of ship-specific modifier for how quickly consecutive hits push the bar up and the time it takes to reset progress (you can't judge a Kansas not firing for 40 seconds on the same basis as a Harugumo or Friesland). Otherwise this is going to become World of Almost-Dead Destroyers With Adrenaline Rush very quickly. :cap_rambo:

I don't see that as being too hard to balance.  The issue will be for ship or planes torps, bombs, or rockets, what about the reload bonus for these types of firing?

Members
669 posts
17,994 battles

I like concealment play, and feel like this will get my Takao shot at even less... but bad BBs already overfocus on a single enemy. Why promote that?