You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ObnoxiousPotato

IMMELMANN: Too Easy to Play?

41 comments in this topic

Members
593 posts
29,569 battles

Video showing Trenlass' very first battle with a "less than completely optimal" build/configuration.   Just wondering why WG didn't just add a "click on target ship, subtract 10K from their health and set fires" consumable for CVs rather than spending money on developing the skip bomb mechanics.

• Cool 2

[_CIA_]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
403 posts
3,176 battles

WG reinforcing fubar error.   SSDD.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
8,982 posts
6,672 battles

Oh I see, so now mid and short range auras become irrelevant too. What's the trade? a theoretical increase in chances to take flak because you need to keep your direction in order to aim? reticle seems unaffected by movement so I guess it could be perfectly possible to approach while turning. In short, flak would still be dodgeable, medium and short auras are irrelevant, you only need to worry about long range aura and burst damage from sector. Who needs plane HP?

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
25,131 posts
19,133 battles

Remember that Trenlass is probably better than 90% of people who will get this ship, so what Trenlass can do with it shouldn't be regarded as a genuine yardstick.

Also, given the vid title, he's being about as far from impartial as it's possible to get without swearing.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 1

[SALVO]
Members
8,982 posts
6,672 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Remember that Trenlass is probably better than 90% of people who will get this ship, so what Trenlass can do with it shouldn't be regarded as a genuine yardstick.

Also, given the vid title, he's being about as far from impartial as it's possible to get without swearing.

Fact: You can drop from 6 km away

Fact: Reticle size (dispersion) is not impacted by maneuvering

That's more than enough to have a clear idea of the planes potential.

Maybe unicum CVs would argue the DPM potential is garbage since it has no AP cit potential but I leave those details to them.

• Cool 4

[SGSS]
Members
6,267 posts
44 minutes ago, ObnoxiousPotato said:

Video showing Trenlass' very first battle with a "less than completely optimal" build/configuration.   Just wondering why WG didn't just add a "click on target ship, subtract 10K from their health and set fires" consumable for CVs rather than spending money on developing the skip bomb mechanics.

You have to he broadside so the ship has to let you hit them.

No rockets so no defence from DD

You cannot use island comer because the bombs wont work.

Try it out then come back on with a HONEST review.

• Sad 1
  • Meh 5

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,494 posts
7,115 battles

We also said the same things about AP rockets and people learned to adapt to them. 

• Meh 1

[SIMP]
Members
1,695 posts
24 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

^ This, plus the fact that this is a new mechanic/ship that WeeGee wants to push (sell) - so of course its going to be really good to start with. Then when enough people buy it, WeeGee pulls the old ' too powerful' switcheroo, and nerfs the crap out of it  - right to where they wanted it in the first place. Classic Wargaming move. 

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,182 posts
8,126 battles

115K damage 1522 XP game in a T10 CV is ridiculously broken?     Que the outrage........  

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 2

[A-D-F]
9,453 posts
4 minutes ago, iRA6E said:

115K damage 1522 XP game in a T10 CV is ridiculously broken?     Que the outrage........  

Yeah that's what I was thinking.  How is 115K damage, broken or whatever?  That's a pretty average game, one most people won't consider exceptional in...any ship class.

• Meh 2

[SALVO]
Members
8,982 posts
6,672 battles
3 minutes ago, iRA6E said:

14 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

Try it out then come back on with a HONEST review.

I think you are missing the point about this new mechanic... Now you can drop from immunity ships with short range AA. As example ITA AA falls from weak to irrelevant.

The issue is not the damage potential of the planes but the fact they can drop you from relative immunity. It is FDR finesse based cousin.

[SALVO]
6,494 posts
7,115 battles
1 minute ago, ArIskandir said:

I think you are missing the point about this new mechanic... Now you can drop from immunity ships with short range AA. As example ITA AA falls from weak to irrelevant.

The issue is not the damage potential of the planes but the fact they can drop you from relative immunity. It is FDR finesse based cousin.

I beg to differ, my Colombo shredded a Max's skip bombers.

[BUOY]
Members
1,422 posts
17,232 battles
15 minutes ago, iRA6E said:

Yeah, from what I'm seeing from unicum play the Immelmann is honestly a pretty weak CV for direct damage given the weaksauce torps and the skip bomber's extreme reliance on 100% repairable DOT damage.

It's strongest suit is being the best spotting CV in the game thanks to having the fastest planes + great regen, which requires teamplay. Ironically this probably makes it the worst T10 for randoms / ranked but will make Clan Battles teams wish they were facing the FDR or old MvR. 

Edited by lloyd1701

[SALVO]
Members
8,982 posts
6,672 battles
1 minute ago, Dr_Venture said:

I beg to differ, my Colombo shredded a Max's skip bombers.

You are right. I´m not really familiar with ITA BB AA range, was thinking about my 5 km AA range cruisers. (Amalfi)

[SALVO]
6,494 posts
7,115 battles
5 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

You are right. I´m not really familiar with ITA BB AA range, was thinking about my 5 km AA range cruisers. (Amalfi)

Oh yeah lower tier pasta boats are trash AA. 

It only gets decent at 9 and 10.

[SALVO]
6,494 posts
7,115 battles

I think the trick to defeating this carrier is getting into the thick of the action. Remember German planes are made of glass, Max will lose them fast if he makes a run on a BB and that BB isn't yoloing around waiting for a spanking.

Truth be told Max looks like it was conceived during the deadeye meta. The German carriers by design are meant to heavily punish stationary camping ships.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,497 posts
1 minute ago, Dr_Venture said:

Oh yeah lower tier pasta boats are trash AA. 

It only gets decent at 9 and 10.

There are still some ships with decent AA. Now, I realize that a certain unicum is probably going to come here and say that only noob CV players can't handle AA but that moniker must apply to most CV players because there are several ships whose AA seems to deter planes. I spec'd my Des Moines for AA recently and have found that after I wipe out the first attacking squadron that the CV tends to go elsewhere for easier pickings. I haven't met the newest skip-bomb CV though.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[SGSS]
Members
6,267 posts
14 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

IF you can hit it.  Maybe just maybe I can hit Russian ship and not lose 6 planes.

It will be interesting.  The planes are very weak and die fast. 

No rockets will make avoiding DD hard. The ship can been seen basically all game.

Its an interesting design.

[PVE]
Members
7,464 posts
1 hour ago, jags_domain said:

You have to he broadside so the ship has to let you hit them.

For an optimal attack, sure you want a broadside ship, but its not a requirement.  I've already seen a few replays of people being able to reliably hit maneuvering ships.

No rockets so no defence from DD

No rockets, but that doesn't mean there is no defense against DDs.  When you land the bombs on DDs its pretty brutal.

You cannot use island comer because the bombs wont work.

You can use the skip bombs as dive bombs over islands.  Just line up the closest line on the reticle and drop the bombs directly on the ship without bouncing them in.

41 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

It's strongest suit is being the best spotting CV in the game thanks to having the fastest planes...

I think WG made some decent choices with this ship to make it less problematic balance wise, but the speed of the planes and the spotting potential is way over the top.  Its always one step forward, two steps back with WG. :Smile_facepalm:

Edited by Slimeball91

[SGSS]
Members
6,267 posts
7 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

For an optimal attack, sure  you want a broadside ship, but its not a requirement.  I've already seen a few replays of people being able to reliably hitting maneuvering ships.

No rockets, but that doesn't mean there is no defense against DDs.  When you land the bombs on DDs its pretty brutal.

You can use the skip bombs as dive bombs over islands.  Just line up the closest line on the reticle and drop the bombs directly on the ships without bouncing them in.

I think WG made some decent choices with this ship to make it less problematic balance wise, but the speed of the planes and the spotting potential is way over the top.  Its always one step forward, two steps back with WG. :Smile_facepalm:

Ok it sounds like your the CV hater that is pretending your not.

So enjoy the hate.  I am done.

[PVE]
Members
7,464 posts
1 minute ago, jags_domain said:

Ok it sounds like your the CV hater that is pretending your not.

So enjoy the hate.  I am done.

What?  I assume you have issue with my not liking the speed of the planes?

[WOLFC]
Members
2,597 posts

We seem to get one of these "Unicum player who despises CVs makes video about how good a CV is" every time a new CV comes out.

[OO7]
Members
696 posts
8,267 battles
33 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

IF you can hit it.  Maybe just maybe I can hit Russian ship and not lose 6 planes.

It will be interesting.  The planes are very weak and die fast. 

No rockets will make avoiding DD hard. The ship can been seen basically all game.

Its an interesting design.

You know you can point blank drop skip bombs on dd and smash them for 10k dmg, right?  Maybe you should play the cv, then come back with honest review. kthx

Members
7,122 posts
23,117 battles
10 minutes ago, mixmkz said:

You know you can point blank drop skip bombs on dd and smash them for 10k dmg, right?  Maybe you should play the cv, then come back with honest review. kthx

This post should be downvoted. Way to much reasoning involved here. -1

• Meh 1

[WOLFG]
Members
13,269 posts
12,524 battles
10 minutes ago, mixmkz said:

Do you hit them directly or drop them close and then they hit shortly after the bounce?

At this point, I would be surprised if WG didn't release a CV with a poorly explained "feature".