You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Usedcarjock

Dockyard: ZF-6 Boosters

34 comments in this topic

[-TKS-]
Members
1,302 posts
11,101 battles

Every dockyard so far I’ve gone out of my way to purchase a booster, as I not only like the extra goodies (steel and RB points are always appreciated), but I also don’t mind spending some money on a well made and designed event. However, this time around I’m unsure if I’ll bite. The after completion rewards seem... minute at best (no steel this go around from what I can tell), and I’m unsure if spending 8,900 dubs for an 8 stage boost is really worth it in the long run, much less 5,000 dubs for 3 stages. What do you think? Should I even consider the booster this time around?

edit: My mistake, there isn’t RB points this time around. This changes things.

Edited by Usedcarjock

[ARGSY]
Members
25,131 posts
19,133 battles
16 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

(no steel this go around from what I can tell)

But there is!

image.thumb.png.797f1cff7269308b83ac218c490f97b2.png 

So if you want to buy steel for dubs, yeah, go for it. If you decide that the ship is not enticing enough for you to want to do that, you aren't the only one.

Unless we see her being driven with enthusiasm by content creators of all stripes, not just the Community Contributors who were given her for testing as part of the programme, my feeling is that WG has unfortunately managed to create a dockyard ship with only niche appeal at best. Which sort of makes me feel bad for the dev team, but it is what it is. I think the real problem is that she had the misfortune to be launched as flagship for a brand new concept that isn't stirring a lot of wild enthusiasm.

Everyone understood exactly what they were getting with Puerto Rico (the ship itself, not the event!!), Odin, Anchorage and Hizen - the flavours that went into all of those ships were clearly visible on the packaging - but this is a flavour nobody's ever seen or played before and they might have done better just to release her as a premium to go with the rest of the line... or to delay her dockyard until after the general concept had been introduced and accepted.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
1,278 posts
13,686 battles

The completion of phases gives 3000 coal and 200 steel per phase. It’s in the bottom of today’s article

[LANCE]
Members
908 posts
6,909 battles

Iirc the steel rewards come from completing the dockyard and then doing the stages again? I’m not 100% certain on this as I only completed Anchorage. I used boosters and completed a week or so before the dockyard ended but believe I got steel for completing the already completed stages again

[ARGSY]
Members
25,131 posts
19,133 battles
Just now, Bravo4zero said:

Iirc the steel rewards come from completing the dockyard and then doing the stages again?

There are the 19 stages you can complete for free, and the three final stages that MUST be paid for.

However, if you pay for more stages than you absolutely have to, each one you pay for in excess of those three brings the steel and coal rewards.

• Thanks 1

[LANCE]
Members
908 posts
6,909 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

There are the 19 stages you can complete for free, and the three final stages that MUST be paid for.

However, if you pay for more stages than you absolutely have to, each one you pay for in excess of those three brings the steel and coal rewards.

Thanks for clearing that up mate!

[-TKS-]
Members
1,302 posts
11,101 battles
9 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

But there is!

So if you want to buy steel for dubs, yeah, go for it. If you decide that the ship is not enticing enough for you to want to do that, you aren't the only one.

Unless we see her being driven with enthusiasm by content creators of all stripes, not just the Community Contributors who were given her for testing as part of the programme, my feeling is that WG has unfortunately managed to create a dockyard ship with only niche appeal at best. Which sort of makes me feel bad for the dev team, but it is what it is. I think the real problem is that she had the misfortune to be launched as flagship for a brand new concept that isn't stirring a lot of wild enthusiasm.

Everyone understood exactly what they were getting with Puerto Rico (the ship itself, not the event!!), Odin, Anchorage and Hizen - the flavours that went into all of those ships were clearly visible on the packaging - but this is a flavour nobody's ever seen or played before and they might have done better just to release her as a premium to go with the rest of the line... or to delay her dockyard until after the general concept had been introduced and accepted.

This is what I get for reading articles early in the AM when I haven’t had my coffee. So no RB points but steel and coal... hmm... I might reconsider.

[TRW]
Members
73 posts
18,059 battles

My opinion here is 5000 dubs is about $20 USD (adjust for your currencies).  I don't mind spending that for a IX ship.  However that is assuming you complete 100% of the mission stages.  I usually find that the first set of stages is easy enough, but you hit that stage 10+ and they really kill your momentum.  To reduce this I have often paid for the 10 stages from my existing dubs (however mine are reserved now for the Lenin (only ship I am missing of the ships leaving) - so I would need to add to my count - not interested in spending more.... so for me it comes down to if I assume I am playing daily X number of games, is it realistic for me to complete all the stages.  I will need to examine this carefully.    I am also not a fan they delay stages until a week etc. so if you have a day off or want to play heavily you can't go to another set of stages until they are open.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,453 posts

I am going to pay the minimum $20 for a T9 premium DD and I will do the grind.   Even if it turns out to be not he best, I will put it to use.

I was thinking about paying some more and getting some steel but, I am undecided.  I think I would rather have Lenin before it departs from the shop.

[ARGSY]
Members
25,131 posts
19,133 battles
16 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

This is what I get for reading articles early in the AM when I haven’t had my coffee.

What? You tried understanding WOWS-speak in the decaffeinated state? ARE YOU FREAKING CRAZY??????? :Smile_veryhappy: :Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 1

[INTEL]
Members
3,474 posts
20,390 battles
26 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

But there is!

It's only supposition but my thoughts are that the Dockyard event may be WG's attempt to use the Dockyard event to drive some enthusiasm for the ship line.  I see that with each Dockyard event and most every event, WG changes things up a bit.  I think in part it's to generate some interest by just changing things but also to find mixes of activities and rewards that generate the most revenue.  In essence, each event is a marketing experiment.

[KWF]
Members
6,567 posts
7,175 battles

It's kinda surprising how nobody has asked you whether you believe you will enjoy the ship? 

Buying boosters just for the sake of it and because you bought in previous Dockyards isn't a good justification in my opinion. Add to your viewpoint on how much you will play and whether you will like ZF-6 and it becomes an easier question to answer.

Edited by warheart1992

[-TKS-]
Members
1,302 posts
11,101 battles
2 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

It's kinda surprising how nobody has asked you whether you believe you will enjoy the ship? 

Buying boosters just for the sake of it and because you bought in previous Dockyards isn't a good justification in my opinion. Add to your viewpoint on how much you will play and whether you will like ZF-6 and it becomes an easier question to answer.

I think the ship should be interesting. It looks like some weird pseudo German-French hybrid DD. I like both the German and French DD lines (especially the French), so I’m interested in seeing how the ship play.

[A-D-F]
9,453 posts
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

I agree with @Ensign_Cthulhu that that would be eaiser if we could see some people play it.  While I am going to snag it anyway, there is weirdly a lack of early reviews in my youtube subscription list this time.

[LSNB]
Members
251 posts
7,827 battles
30 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

But there is!

ZF-6 is a vastly different concept from the new German DD line. 

The line is meant to "kill cruisers with strong AP" with high HP and very a curate guns. Whether they can actually do that with the tools they were given is another matter.

Meanwhile, ZF-6 is a stealthy DD that boasts the second highest HE DPM of the T9 DDs with MBRB active. 

It's going to be in its element in the caps gunning down other DDs with its strong HE and AP supported by enhanced bounce angles. 

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
9,453 posts
2 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I agree with @Ensign_Cthulhu that that would be eaiser if we could see some people play it.  While I am going to snag it anyway, there is weirdly a lack of early reviews in my youtube subscription list this time.

A video I found in a search just now.  Might be helpful to some. 

[KWF]
Members
6,567 posts
7,175 battles
7 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

I think the ship should be interesting. It looks like some weird pseudo German-French hybrid DD. I like both the German and French DD lines (especially the French), so I’m interested in seeing how the ship play.

7 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I can only talk about stats and my experience from being in battles against and with ZF-6 testers. The impressions I get are of a decently stealthy DD that can ambush other DDs with the Reload Booster and finish them in no time. The guns if are any remotely close to the ones on Z-46 are decent in terms of shell arcs and velocities. What is unknown to me is how good the firing angles are.

If not mistaken the torpedoes are the same as on Le Fantasque on a 2x4 layout. Not half bad if not many radars/CVs are around.

Bottom line, and again this is purely from a few encounters and theorycrafting,  it combines the decent concealment of Z-46, the strong (if somewhat short ranged) torpedoes of the French, and a few choice moments where you can unleash your inner Friesland when Reload Booster is active. 

Doesn't sound half bad to me.

Edited by warheart1992

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,650 posts
26,535 battles
17 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

I am going to pay the minimum $20 for a T9 premium DD and I will do the grind.   Even if it turns out to be not he best, I will put it to use.

I was thinking about paying some more and getting some steel but, I am undecided.  I think I would rather have Lenin before it departs from the shop.

People have bought very mediocre Dockyard Ships for the sake of getting Steel, etc.  Hizen comes immediately to mind.  The Dockyard cost for what you get out of the ship is not worth it, and people have gotten it solely because of Steel and other resources.

During her Dockyard Event, you saw Hizen all the time.  During PEF's introduction several holiday seasons ago, coupled with her Steel Monsters campaign, you saw PEF a lot.  When the events for those two ships finished, they practically stopped showing up in games.

[RCNW3]
Members
1,970 posts
22,247 battles

Sigh, I myself is pausing over the event - looking at the later stages - some real work will have to be put in to complete the event - normally buy the booster to complete - but this time do not think the rewards all that great at the later stages - and really not sold that I need the Zf-6 in my port.  

[A-D-F]
9,453 posts
15 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

People have bought very mediocre Dockyard Ships for the sake of getting Steel, etc.  Hizen comes immediately to mind.  The Dockyard cost for what you get out of the ship is not worth it, and people have gotten it solely because of Steel and other resources.

During her Dockyard Event, you saw Hizen all the time.  During PEF's introduction several holiday seasons ago, coupled with her Steel Monsters campaign, you saw PEF a lot.  When the events for those two ships finished, they practically stopped showing up in games.

I use PEF nearly 7 days a week, 3 weeks out of the month, in T6 Operations.  Admittedly I haven't touched my Hizen much yet, but PEF is one of my favorites and I bet it wishes I would give it a break.

It's a fantastic operations BB.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
9,453 posts
48 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

What? You tried understanding WOWS-speak in the decaffeinated state? ARE YOU FREAKING CRAZY??????? :Smile_veryhappy: :Smile-_tongue:

Am I understanding this correctly?

So if one were to just whale the whole thing, it would be 8950 dubs for the 5 phase booster, leaving 14 phases left.  At 2200 dubs per phase that is 30,800 dubs.  Meaning to whale the whole thing and get all the steel/coal rewards possible, it would be 8950+30800 for a total of 39,750 dubs, correct?

Not saying I am going to do that, just want to make sure I understand it right.

[USN]
Members
1,709 posts
21,689 battles
32 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

During her Dockyard Event, you saw Hizen all the time.  During PEF's introduction several holiday seasons ago, coupled with her Steel Monsters campaign, you saw PEF a lot.  When the events for those two ships finished, they practically stopped showing up in games

Honestly, same kind of goes for almost every Christmas/dockyard ship other than Graf Spee. Once any combat missions/directive tasks needing those ships were over, how often did you see Emden, Duke of York, Gorizia, Strasbourg, Yahagi, PR, Odin, and Anchorage? Though I still use Gorizia and Strasbourg and occasionally Duke of York because Narai and I might use PEF in Killer Whale because Lutyens secondaries going pew pew is fun

[BEA5T]
Members
603 posts
19,164 battles

Welp I ran the ZF-6  through about 6 COOP games so far and configured it to be more of a Torpedo boat.  You can go for quick reload on the guns and get down to around 3.X.   It does have a reload booster which really reduces it.   Have not had a chance to use it yet though.    

In COOP so far it seems to do a decent job with torpedo launcher reloads down to 68 secs and torpedo speeds of the Shimi speed ( 83) knots  with decent damage.  

Oh yea it is an quite expensive venture for a Tier IX DD if you go down the route of purchasing the boosters for the stages.  :Smile_ohmy:

Edited by Noworriesderpy1

[BTLST]
Members
304 posts
7,040 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

But there is!

From the prices of ships in the armory 1 doubloon is "worth" about 10 to 11.8 coal and - using the 1 steel to 10 coal conversion ratio - 1 doubloon would be worth 1 to 1.18 steel. Of course this ignores the fact that some currencies like steel are much more difficult to acquire than others, but it helps to get an initial range.

So paying 2200 doubloons to get 3000 coal and 200 steel looks like a very bad deal on the face of it, at least it does look bad to me. Of course everybody has their own utility function for the value of money (doubloons) and other people's utility function might be very different from mine...

Edited by tangofan

[ARGSY]
Members
25,131 posts
19,133 battles
31 minutes ago, tangofan said:

Of course everybody has their own utility function for the value of money (doubloons) and other people's utility function might be very different from mine...

This is the most important thing to remember when it comes to buying stuff in this game.

There are people who buy, let's say, 20 event boxes and then come here and rage because not one of them coughed up a ship (if one is offered) and surely twenty was enough to guarantee one, right? (No, that's not how probability works; there's an outlier possibility that you could buy several hundred and still not get a boat.)

Then there are others who buy them specifically for the flags, camos, coal or whatever they spit out, and who treat a ship (if one is offered) as a very nice bonus. You will very rarely find those people coming here to complain, except perhaps to state that the current set of event-specific boxes doesn't seem to spit out enough of the right stuff for them to bother buying this time round.

It's very rare that I'll buy boxes in such large quantities, almost always as isolated "what the hell, let's have a throw" things or as one box to guarantee the first piece of a subscription collection if I have to miss the event for whatever reason. I certainly don't routinely buy them just for the flags; I prefer to spend my money on content which is there for the life of the game.  But to each their own.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu