You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Benjammn79

Leroy Jenkins in the armory, Pt 2

8 comments in this topic

[_CIA_]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
403 posts
3,176 battles

Not sure why the other thread was locked.  Seemed like a plenty civil discussion.  Not like when someone brings up the CV rework.  [insert sky cancer remark here.]

Anyway, I think it's awesome that WG is drawing attention to someone who served in the US Navy who isn't a white dude.  Also, I ditto about getting a @LittleWhiteMouse captain.  I mean, we have Jingles and Steven Seagal for cryin out loud.  I've never been into anime, so I don't really understand or appreciate the draw of it but I certainly don't begrudge anyone who's about that life or wants it in the game.  I don't see why we can't have generic female captains with a generic female voice over.  WG has it in WoT, so why not WoWS?  And I don't see why we can't have nationally appropriate captains and captain voices.  I think it would be cool for WG to work with the navies of other nations and find out a naval personal member who each country wants to highlight.  I love naval history and love reading about individuals who served. 

Since we're talking about a WoWS destroyer captain, if you haven't read them I highly recommend Last Stand of Tin Can Sailors by James Hornfischer or Tin Can Titans by John Wukovits.  Both are excellent.

• Cool 3

[WHEE]
Members
168 posts
4,148 battles
59 minutes ago, Benjammn79 said:

And I don't see why we can't have nationally appropriate captains and captain voices.

Preach. 

Waiting for Swedish voiceovers and just ONE actual Indian commander for Mysore...

DA7B46D1-053E-48CA-B6B2-2D4D363A00B1.jpeg

• Funny 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,521 posts
2 hours ago, Benjammn79 said:

And I don't see why we can't have nationally appropriate captains and captain voices.

Since WG is a for-profit entity then it probably would have to negotiate rights for the images of people who are either still alive or whose descendants have an income from it. The laws on this would vary from country to country and even state to state too, which would further complicate things.

[MUG-T]
Members
785 posts
4,262 battles

While we're at it let's get voiceovers for the historical commanders 

Halsey when you blap someone: Hit hard hit fast hit often

Cunningham when you're the last one alive: We are so outnumbered there's only one thing to do. We must attack.

Yamamoto when you sink a CV: Japan has always regarded the aircraft carrier as one of the most offensive armaments

Lutjens when battle starts: For the first time in naval history, German battleships have successfully entered into the free Atlantic... Full speed ahead

Yes these are historical, and no I couldn't find one for Jerzy Swirski

Although yes, it's good to see some diversity in commanders.

and yes I would spend doubloons on LWM :cap_like:

and I would probably get Yukon too 

Members
950 posts
220 battles
3 hours ago, celticboy27 said:

Preach. 

Waiting for Swedish voiceovers and just ONE actual Indian commander for Mysore...

I think every nation should have representation.

...And an Australian for the Perth and the Vampire.  Personally, I would like to hear Ozzy man for this.

..A Canadian for the Haida

But as these are dual nation ships (same as the EU DDs) where the Nation flag can be switched, it would be awesome if the voice switched with the flag. 

[_CIA_]
403 posts
3,176 battles
10 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Since WG is a for-profit entity then it probably would have to negotiate rights for the images of people who are either still alive or whose descendants have an income from it. The laws on this would vary from country to country and even state to state too, which would further complicate things.

I kinda understand where you're coming from, but how is that any different than any of the 'random' non-real USN captains in the game now?

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,521 posts
1 hour ago, Benjammn79 said:

I kinda understand where you're coming from, but how is that any different than any of the 'random' non-real USN captains in the game now?

There may be a special provision for well-known historic figures and/or a time limit too. For instance, you probably don't have to get any distant heirs' permission to use an 1860's image of Abe Lincoln in your game. The same may apply to well-known WWII participants such as Nimitz, FDR, Eisenhower, etc. Or, it may be that their heirs have released their likenesses to the public domain.

[_CIA_]
403 posts
3,176 battles
6 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

There may be a special provision for well-known historic figures and/or a time limit too. For instance, you probably don't have to get any distant heirs' permission to use an 1860's image of Abe Lincoln in your game. The same may apply to well-known WWII participants such as Nimitz, FDR, Eisenhower, etc. Or, it may be that their heirs have released their likenesses to the public domain.

Gotcha.  That is true.  I don't think, however, it impacts creating a random captain from another nation (akin to a John Smith for USN) and hiring someone from that nation to do the voice overs.