Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tangofan

How to manage commander transitions when moving up the tech tree?

3 comments in this topic

[BTLST]
Members
305 posts
7,137 battles

I just unlocked my first T6 tech tree BB, the Bayern, and now I am wondering how to best handle transferring a commander to the new ship (in my case the Bayern) and/or recruiting a new commander (either for the new or the old ship).

So far my commanders in the tech tree have all been low level, so either transitioning them and doing a full retraining or just replacing them with a 6pt commander for 900k credits and it was hard to seriously go wrong.

1. It seems that a lot of people move their commander to the next ship (e.g. from the König to the Bayern). Then the question becomes whether to do a free retrain, a retrain for ECXP or for 500 doubloons. I'm wondering where folks draw the cutoff. E.g. instantly retraining my König commander costs 7.5k EXCP which sounds reasonable, but at some point swinging the 500 doubloons should be worth it, e.g. if I had to retrain a 21pt commander (problems I wish I had :Smile_trollface:). What's a reasonable approach to decide here?

2. I am also contemplating to leave my 8pt commander on the König and install a new 6pt commander on the Bayern, if for no other reason that I enjoy playing the König and will likely play a lot more tier 5 randoms until I feel more confident enough to move up to randoms at tier 6. If at that point I have unlocked the T7 Gneisenau by playing the Bayern in ops and coops, I could move my König commander straight to the Gneisenau, effectively using a leapfrogging approach.

At this point it seems that I can't go too wrong either way (except perhaps with spending 500 doubloons), but it seems like a good time to start thinking about how to handle this going forward, so I'm looking forward to feedback on how others have approached this.

[SALVO]
Members
9,013 posts
6,716 battles

If you intend to keep playing the previous ship, leave the commander and start the new ship with a new commander.

If you want to retrain for free when moving your commander up, I recommend using a suitable premium ship in Ops and stacking your XP boosters. I usually retrain a mid level captain in 3-4 days (always using the daily 50% bonus).

If you need it fast, use ECXP up to 13-14 points (around 30-40k I guess). Higher than that I would use doubloons.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[LRM]
[LRM]
Members
383 posts
10,298 battles
4 hours ago, tangofan said:

I just unlocked my first T6 tech tree BB, the Bayern, and now I am wondering how to best handle transferring a commander to the new ship (in my case the Bayern) and/or recruiting a new commander (either for the new or the old ship).

So far my commanders in the tech tree have all been low level, so either transitioning them and doing a full retraining or just replacing them with a 6pt commander for 900k credits and it was hard to seriously go wrong.

1. It seems that a lot of people move their commander to the next ship (e.g. from the König to the Bayern). Then the question becomes whether to do a free retrain, a retrain for ECXP or for 500 doubloons. I'm wondering where folks draw the cutoff. E.g. instantly retraining my König commander costs 7.5k EXCP which sounds reasonable, but at some point swinging the 500 doubloons should be worth it, e.g. if I had to retrain a 21pt commander (problems I wish I had :Smile_trollface:). What's a reasonable approach to decide here?

2. I am also contemplating to leave my 8pt commander on the König and install a new 6pt commander on the Bayern, if for no other reason that I enjoy playing the König and will likely play a lot more tier 5 randoms until I feel more confident enough to move up to randoms at tier 6. If at that point I have unlocked the T7 Gneisenau by playing the Bayern in ops and coops, I could move my König commander straight to the Gneisenau, effectively using a leapfrogging approach.

At this point it seems that I can't go too wrong either way (except perhaps with spending 500 doubloons), but it seems like a good time to start thinking about how to handle this going forward, so I'm looking forward to feedback on how others have approached this.

low tier ships (unless very good that you really like to play) don't need a commander. you just use them to get snowflakes every Christmas. so, lower tiers, you just transfer commander to next ship and pay commander xp training, since they will have like 6-7-8 points, it's really cheap. When you get to tiers 8-9, then it depends on the ship, some t8 or t9 are worthy of having a commander to be played in ranked or clan battles, then it depends, you can keep the commander and buy a new 6pt one, or transfer the old to new ship and buy 6pt commander for the old t8.

Sign in to follow this