You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dmich89

CV Abusers, intentional mechanic by WG?

14 comments in this topic

[SIAS]
Members
36 posts
6,186 battles

FDR has the ability to fly directly at you with torpedo planes, make a sharp 90 degree turn and drop torps and land most, if not all, of the torps on bbs / slow cruisers. Doesn't seem to be much penalty for firing early without properly "charging" the drop, which seems counter to the original design of torpedo drops. Perhaps WG should consider changing the penalty to increased arming distance for firing early rather than increased spread, which again doesn't actually change the effectiveness for FDR. Another overpowered mechanic for an already extremely overpowered ship. 

Thoughts?

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[USRUS]
[USRUS]
Members
1,778 posts
22,304 battles

FDR and MI have no aiming penalty by design.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,497 posts
3 minutes ago, Cit_the_bed said:

I guess that WG wants people to use up their steel. However, there obviously is something "odd" about it. Not the least is the fact that only very experienced players who have collected an enormous amount of steel can purchase it. Well, that and equally experienced CCs who are playing it on press accounts.

Franklin D. Roosevelt U.S.A. 62 429 52.40 % 0.90 100 724 1 794 3.85 4.11
Manfred von Richthofen Germany 154 366 49.94 % 0.93 88 082 1 763 4.75 4.70
Audacious U.K. 235 557 49.46 % 0.91 79 887 1 813 4.51 4.45
Hakuryū Japan 540 636 49.23 % 0.89 79 954 1 761 5.02 4.55
Midway U.S.A. 997 803 46.71 % 0.79 70 602 1 719 5.21 3.57
What I want is for people to stop griping because someone playing a Midway has a "bad" win rate in it when the server win rate in the Midway is bad itself.

[WOLF1]
Members
1,151 posts
2,228 battles
1 hour ago, Dmich89 said:

FDR has the ability to fly directly at you with torpedo planes, make a sharp 90 degree turn and drop torps and land most, if not all, of the torps on bbs / slow cruisers. Doesn't seem to be much penalty for firing early without properly "charging" the drop, which seems counter to the original design of torpedo drops. Perhaps WG should consider changing the penalty to increased arming distance for firing early rather than increased spread, which again doesn't actually change the effectiveness for FDR. Another overpowered mechanic for an already extremely overpowered ship. 

Thoughts?

FDR’s planes are not planes. They are flying tanks that can only be killed by fighters, as they are too slow to get away and get shredded. But fighters at best are quite unreliable.

Justified American bias since its in the namesake of FDR, who was quite the OP president? Besides, Midway used to have pretty OP jet planes back in RTS, but there was a high skill floor ceiling 

Edited by Boomer625
  • Boring 1

[USRUS]
[USRUS]
Members
1,778 posts
22,304 battles
1 minute ago, Boomer625 said:

FDR’s planes are not planes. They are flying tanks that can only be killed by fighters

And if you use Ovechkin as captain, he adds even more HP per plane. 

[BONKS]
Members
3,079 posts
52 battles

FDR aiming characteristics were copy & pasted from Audacious. To be honest I'm pretty sure devs didn't intend for FDR to be able to do this but also don't mind that it can.

Edited by El2aZeR

[CLUMP]
Members
2,049 posts
2,424 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I guess that WG wants people to use up their steel. However, there obviously is something "odd" about it. Not the least is the fact that only very experienced players who have collected an enormous amount of steel can purchase it. Well, that and equally experienced CCs who are playing it on press accounts.

What I want is for people to stop griping because someone playing a Midway has a "bad" win rate in it when the server win rate in the Midway is bad itself.

If FDR was really OP as some are claiming you would think it would have a better win rate :Smile_hiding:  52% overall seems it really low not surprised by MIdway results :Smile_teethhappy:

• Boring 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,650 posts
26,535 battles
4 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

There has to be a small bit of detail about those CV stats in Tier X.  Normally when you get to a Tech Tree Tier X, most of them are ready to go with their modules.  There are a few that still need to research additional modules.  But the Tier X CVs in the Tech Tree (MVR, Midway, Hakuryu, Audacious) still need to grind out of their 3 Stock Aircraft Modules.  I don't own FDR, but Premium Ships don't have to research any extra modules.  HSF Harekaze for example has 3 hulls to choose from, and all are immediately selectable as soon as you get her, no grinding necessary, so I assume FDR doesn't have to worry about the same stuff the Tech Tree CVs do.

In a way it's like comparing a Premium Ship to a Tech Tree one, and comparing the stats... It's not going to look good for the Tech Tree Ship's stats because they still got to grind out modules that the Premium Ship doesn't have to worry about.

[JEDI-]
Members
2,685 posts
6,933 battles

The devs with their inconsistency are hilarious.

They didn't want CVs doing so much damage hence part of the reason for the rebork. That they were making CV easier to play for everyone.

Yet here we are with one that can take a BB out in a couple torp runs. But only for a select bunch of people with steel since most average players don't have that kind of steel sitting around to drop on a CV.

What a crock this company is. You can't trust anything they say or do.

Edited by xalmgrey

[55UP]
Members
424 posts
4,076 battles
5 hours ago, Cit_the_bed said:

Ark Royal at Tier VI is the same. 

[-OG-]
Members
291 posts
9,393 battles

I could write a well-thought-out explanation as to why CVs, in general, are super OP in a game based around concealment and surface ships, but I'm not going to. Mainly because it's a waste of time to attempt to tell most of the playerbase what they already know and the few who defend CVs don't care and/or don't have an understanding of the core game mechanics. Besides they don't matter, the only people who matter are the WG employees and they couldn't care less about what we the playerbase thinks about the game balance. So all in all, threads like these are pointless, they go nowhere, lead to no change and in the end don't actually matter.

• Cool 1

[BONKS]
Members
3,079 posts
52 battles
4 hours ago, xalmgrey said:

Yet here we are with one that can take a BB out in a couple torp runs. But only for a select bunch of people with steel since most average players don't have that kind of steel sitting around to drop on a CV.

FDR TBs only have marginally higher alpha strike than Midway (33k vs 30k). The sustained damage output of FDR is actually quite bad.

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,182 posts
8,126 battles

It would be hard not to argue that FDR's Stat advantage has been significantly bolstered by exactly who it is that owns them.   Most steel ships show this until they've been around long enough for average players to earn them and play them.  Due to the niche nature of CVs and the more limited interest in them...  FDR will probably stay in this position for a long time. It costs a ton of steel, and unless you want to play CVs... your not going to purchase this ship.    I still find it very interesting that Midways stats suffer so much.    In almost every way to me it feels like the best T10 CV at this time.   I think the Midway stats may well be hampered by exactly the opposite issue that FDR has... the players that play them, and play them a lot,  are more average CV players and not as skilled in them.    Clearly looking at the games played...  More players have it and likely a lot more Non-CV players put time in it.  

[BONKS]
Members
3,079 posts
52 battles
52 minutes ago, iRA6E said:

I think the Midway stats may well be hampered by exactly the opposite issue that FDR has... the players that play them, and play them a lot,  are more average CV players and not as skilled in them.

This is correct and can be statistically proven.
For example on wows-numbers NA (which is not entirely perfect for this purpose since it lists a lot of legacy stats but it should prove the point) for FDR there are 231 players listed in total, of which 161 have 100k+ average damage which is almost 70% of the leaderboard.
Meanwhile for Midway there are 3906 players listed of which 852 players have 100k+ average damage, which is only about 22%.

This is also the sole reason why reworked CVs typically do worse compared to their RTS counterparts in averages. For RTS Midway wows-numbers lists 939 players of which 506, roughly 54%, achieved 100k+ average damage.

PR is actually a good measurement of average skill if you can find examples which get similar results then compare whether the PR they have is higher or lower since PR is based on average performance. This is why certain ships are known as PR farms while others get labeled PR sinks. For example I achieve similar results between reworked and RTS Midway, yet my PR in reworked Midway is significantly higher because the average reworked Midway player simply is much worse than the average RTS Midway player was.

nDlIqD2.png

Edited by El2aZeR