Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
isssm

Laughably pathetic launcher performance.

69 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

198
[NINE]
Members
154 posts
10,409 battles

Is it normal for WG's launcher to take an hour or more to download and install minor updates?

And for the launcher to cause literally everything else running on the system to lag so much it's almost unusable, despite the fact that the launcher itself is barely utilizing the CPU at all?

The problem certainly isn't that my hardware is too weak; 12 threads on a 5600X should be more than enough to run a simple game launcher. The worst component the launcher has to deal with is an old 7200RPM HDD, but none of the other game launchers on that drive has any problems updating games, not to mention, it was quite capable of updating WG games in the past.

Did WG just spend so much time optimizing their software to run on potatoes that it just won't run properly on modern hardware?

The behavior I see out of WG's launcher is something I would expect from actual malware.

  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,178
[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,233 posts
4,348 battles

Not a minor update, it's pulling the game patch for tomorrow which is a couple GBs. And it's probably not your hardware it's slowing down, but your internet connection. If you allow it will take up every bit of available bandwidth to run the download, which will definitely slow down everything else internet related. You can go into the settings and limit download speed which will help a lot. It runs fine for me on similar hardware to you, I've throttled the download bandwidth and don't even notice it doing its thing in the background.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
198
[NINE]
Members
154 posts
10,409 battles
3 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Not a minor update, it's pulling the game patch for tomorrow which is a couple GBs. 

"It's not a minor update"

I might have bought this excuse if literally every other update didn't go the same way.

3 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

And it's probably not your hardware it's slowing down, but your internet connection. If you allow it will take up every bit of available bandwidth to run the download, which will definitely slow down everything else internet related. You can go into the settings and limit download speed which will help a lot. It runs fine for me on similar hardware to you, I've throttled the download bandwidth and don't even notice it doing its thing in the background.

The limit is set at it's default 5mb/s. 5mb/s doesn't do this to my system performance; I've had downloads running at double that without slowdowns to "internet related tasks" this severe.

Furthermore, the system slowdown is hardly just internet related. Network slowdowns don't cause frame stuttering/freezing, or desync between audio and graphics.

There's also the fact that the system lag is at it's worst towards the end of the update process, presumably while the launcher is installing the update rather than downloading more files.

WoWS is hardly the first or only game I've ever played, literally no other launcher has ever hit my system performance this severely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,972
[WORX]
Members
14,126 posts
20,570 battles
49 minutes ago, isssm said:

Is it normal for WG's launcher to take an hour or more to download and install minor updates?

And for the launcher to cause literally everything else running on the system to lag so much it's almost unusable, despite the fact that the launcher itself is barely utilizing the CPU at all?

The problem certainly isn't that my hardware is too weak; 12 threads on a 5600X should be more than enough to run a simple game launcher. The worst component the launcher has to deal with is an old 7200RPM HDD, but none of the other game launchers on that drive has any problems updating games, not to mention, it was quite capable of updating WG games in the past.

Did WG just spend so much time optimizing their software to run on potatoes that it just won't run properly on modern hardware?

The behavior I see out of WG's launcher is something I would expect from actual malware.

No problems here... DL early installed and ready to go for tomorrow.

Goto your settings and see how much bandwidth are you using... If you're using max settings to DL the patch, then everything else will not only slow down... You'll get the dreaded error 404 site not found msg.

As far as I can tell.. WG haven't changed a thing regarding the DL process.

 

Edited by Navalpride33

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,927
[SALVO]
Members
8,982 posts
6,672 battles
52 minutes ago, isssm said:

Is it normal for WG's launcher to take an hour or more to download and install minor updates?

Iirc download speed is limited by default, you need to manually allow for faster download. Did you do that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,178
[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,233 posts
4,348 battles
10 minutes ago, isssm said:

"It's not a minor update"

I might have bought this excuse if literally every other update didn't go the same way.

The limit is set at it's default 5mb/s. 5mb/s doesn't do this to my system performance; I've had downloads running at double that without slowdowns to "internet related tasks" this severe.

Furthermore, the system slowdown is hardly just internet related. Network slowdowns don't cause frame stuttering/freezing, or desync between audio and graphics.

There's also the fact that the system lag is at it's worst towards the end of the update process, presumably while the launcher is installing the update rather than downloading more files.

WoWS is hardly the first or only game I've ever played, literally no other launcher has ever hit my system performance this severely.

Odd. I've been having zero issues with the WGC, it does its in the background and I notice no difference in performance.

Since it's only you having this issue it's probably on your end. CPU isn't the only thing that can bottleneck. I'd doublecheck your settings first, then start checking around with task manager. There's no reason it should be taking up enough of your CPU to start lagging videos and such. Something sounds wrong with the way you're setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,659
[USRUS]
[USRUS]
Members
1,778 posts
22,304 battles

WGC uses torrents to share downloads, so your isp is probably throttling or blocking ports used by bittorrent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
347
[WOLFA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,337 posts

lol think it's bad now wait til it actually integrates that patch into existing files. it's complete and total agony on hdd and still boggle on ssd at it's inefficiency

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
198
[NINE]
Members
154 posts
10,409 battles
10 minutes ago, Cit_the_bed said:

WGC uses torrents to share downloads, so your isp is probably throttling or blocking ports used by bittorrent. 

I assure you my ISP isn't throttling torrents.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
198
[NINE]
Members
154 posts
10,409 battles
51 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

Iirc download speed is limited by default, you need to manually allow for faster download. Did you do that?

It's limited to 5MB/s, but that's not the real problem. If it's just slow and in the background, I don't care.

The problem is that it noticeably slows down performance for the rest of my PC.

Not to mention slow downloads wouldn't cause stuttering and long loads in other games.

49 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Odd. I've been having zero issues with the WGC, it does its in the background and I notice no difference in performance.

Since it's only you having this issue it's probably on your end. CPU isn't the only thing that can bottleneck. I'd doublecheck your settings first, then start checking around with task manager. There's no reason it should be taking up enough of your CPU to start lagging videos and such. Something sounds wrong with the way you're setup.

The biggest bottleneck WG's launcher has to deal with is the 7200RPM spinning drive, which is perfectly capable of quickly updating other games on the same drive without any other system impacts.

And the problem with the WG launcher isn't that it's using too much CPU, as I've previously mentioned, CPU utilization by the WG launcher is ~5% tops.

Yet despite the low CPU utilization, it slows down literally everything else running on my system.

My setup is perfectly fine, given that literally every other launcher I've installed and used has no problems whatsoever.

Edited by isssm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,218
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,453 posts

Mine downloaded last night on my laptop and this morning on my tower.  It took about 10 minutes for both of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,178
[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,233 posts
4,348 battles
13 minutes ago, isssm said:

It's limited to 5MB/s, but that's not the real problem. If it's just slow and in the background, I don't care.

The problem is that it noticeably slows down performance for the rest of my PC.

Not to mention slow downloads wouldn't cause stuttering and long loads in other games.

The biggest bottleneck WG's launcher has to deal with is the 7200RPM spinning drive, which is perfectly capable of quickly updating other games on the same drive without any other system impacts.

And the problem with the WG launcher isn't that it's using too much CPU, as I've previously mentioned, CPU utilization by the WG launcher is ~5% tops.

Yet despite the low CPU utilization, it slows down literally everything else running on my system.

My setup is perfectly fine, given that literally every other launcher I've installed and used has no problems whatsoever.

Look, no one else is having issues, so either the WGC is bugged for ONLY you, or there's something up with your system/settings. Usually it's the simpler explanation. Do you want help with the issue or do you just want to complain about WG? Because if the former you need to start actually trying.

If your CPU is only at 5% that's not it. How about your RAM? Is that being fully utilized? And you keep talking about your HDD. It shouldn't be an issue, but if it's really full it might be causing problems. Something is slowing things down, which indicates something is being maxed out. Take a look at task manager and see what it is.

Other option is to reinstall WGC and see if that helps.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,161
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,497 posts
1 hour ago, isssm said:

Is it normal for WG's launcher to take an hour or more to download and install minor updates?

 

There are things you can do to make the download faster or use fewer system resources but you are not going to get both at the same time. I'm on a relatively slow internet connection for this day and age (30 Mbps download) but have no problems with WOWS updates. I've checked the box that stops uploading and the one that uses max system resources during a download.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
505
[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,073 posts
15,681 battles
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

Iirc download speed is limited by default, you need to manually allow for faster download. Did you do that?

 

Actually it is unlimited by default. That would be OK if it behaved itself and shared the download with other things but it doesn't. With it set to the default unlimited it can and will use as much as it can, and will choke your connection for anything else.

 

And yes it use a BT protocol, of which you can set it to 0 upload if desired. personally I have it set to o because I pay for my internet connection, not WG (even though I have unlimited up/down).

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
198
[NINE]
Members
154 posts
10,409 battles
3 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Look, no one else is having issues, so either the WGC is bugged for ONLY you, or there's something up with your system/settings. Usually it's the simpler explanation. Do you want help with the issue or do you just want to complain about WG? Because if the former you need to start actually trying.

If your CPU is only at 5% that's not it. How about your RAM? Is that being fully utilized? And you keep talking about your HDD. It shouldn't be an issue, but if it's really full it might be causing problems. Something is slowing things down, which indicates something is being maxed out. Take a look at task manager and see what it is.

Other option is to reinstall WGC and see if that helps.

This aint my first time troubleshooting system problems, first thing I did was to check for components being maxed out.

Nothing is.

If the problem was my PC, then other similar programs would cause similar problems. They don't.

The only bottleneck in my PC is WG's software. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
198
[NINE]
Members
154 posts
10,409 battles
10 minutes ago, _GreyBeard_ said:

Actually it is unlimited by default. That would be OK if it behaved itself and shared the download with other things but it doesn't. With it set to the default unlimited it can and will use as much as it can, and will choke your connection for anything else.

And yes it use a BT protocol, of which you can set it to o upload if desired. personally I have it set to o because I pay for my internet connection, not WG (even though I have unlimited up/down).

I don't get why people are fixating on the download when it's not even the real issue.

When I say the update process is slow, I mean the ENTIRE update process is slow - including the installation - and the real problem is that WG's launcher somehow nukes the performance of my entire PC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,090
Members
5,749 posts
11,423 battles
5 minutes ago, isssm said:

When I say the update process is slow, I mean the ENTIRE update process is slow - including the installation

Has never done this to my PC in any way...  I generally have FF open with several tabs loaded (6-8 on average and can be watching a video play on one of those tabs with nary a glitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,161
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,497 posts
6 minutes ago, isssm said:

I don't get why people are fixating on the download when it's not even the real issue.

When I say the update process is slow, I mean the ENTIRE update process is slow - including the installation - and the real problem is that WG's launcher somehow nukes the performance of my entire PC.

My WOWS downloads were painfully slow until I got the settings right. As many here have suggested, look at your game update settings. Also, make sure that your Windows operating system is fully updated beforehand and don't have a bunch of streams and browser tabs open or other things that are pulling system resources when you are updating WOWS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
505
[WOLF4]
[WOLF4]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,073 posts
15,681 battles

181576655_WGCSettings.thumb.jpg.7ae1bd48d26c91c2bbba1845ae17be9b.jpg

 

And for what it's worth the update was just over 4 GB downloaded. Depending on what you have the game installed on (SSD or HDD), and yes it can take a while to install (especially if it is a HDD.

 

Another thing is if you don't have it set to download in advance (for me it usually shows up the Friday before patch day) and it has to download 3-4 GB and then install it, yes it can very well take an hour or more to complete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
198
[NINE]
Members
154 posts
10,409 battles
20 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

Has never done this to my PC in any way...  I generally have FF open with several tabs loaded (6-8 on average and can be watching a video play on one of those tabs with nary a glitch.

I play MTG:Arena or Genshin while WoWS is updating, and both games suffer from severe frame stuttering/freezing during the update process.

And before another person tells me it's my network, no, it friggen isn't.

Network issues don't cause graphics stutters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21
[CANUK]
Members
90 posts
5,356 battles

I personally am not so quick to doubt OP. I had something similar, but I didn't check all the details so I'm not sure if it's identical. Last night during the installation (specifically the installation, not the download) of an update (presumably the upcoming 10.5) my computer was slowing down a fair amount. I can confirm I do not have use all system resources checked, and I have a Ryzen 5600x, 32 GB of RAM, and am installing on a SATA SSD. I wasn't doing anything else on the system but watching youtube videos, but the videos would still stutter occasionally, especially when switching tabs. This cleared up once the update completed. I didn't check task manager, so I don't know the exact numbers, which means maybe it was somehow using all my resources anyways. I plan on monitoring more carefully at the time of my next update so I can submit a ticket, but until that comes I'll have to wait.

Edited by RulerOdin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
155
[_CIA_]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
403 posts
3,176 battles

Oddly enough, mine is taking hours to install.  I've got it set to unlimited speed and use all the computer resources.  I've LITERALLY (and I don't mean it figuratively) have had time to start the charcoal in the chimney, grill dinner, eat a leisurely dinner with the wife, eat way too much homemade chocolate ice cream, clean up the kitchen, and three hours later it's STILL INSTALLING.  I've got my laptop plugged directly into modem and have great download speeds.  Downloading/installing stuff from Steam, Ubisoft, Epic Games, or even [edited] never take this long.  Why is it that Wargaming games to so damn long to install?  It's like they write [edited] inefficient programming or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,161
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,497 posts

Don't forget too that even though you have a "amazingly fast" plan from your ISP that it doesn't mean that sometimes your download speeds will slow to a crawl due to internet traffic, DOS attacks at the ISP, malware, Windows updates, natural disasters, or a whole slow of other events. If your update is slow, run a speed check.

Edited by Snargfargle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
155
[_CIA_]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
403 posts
3,176 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

Don't forget too that even though you have a "amazingly fast" plan from your ISP that it doesn't mean that sometimes your download speeds will slow to a crawl due to internet traffic, DOS attacks at the ISP, malware, Windows updates, natural disasters, or a whole slow of other events. If your update is slow, run a speed check.

I hear what you're saying.  Just did a speed test and it was 192mbps with ping of 21.  But if the WC progress indicator is to be believed, mine isn't downloading data.  It's installing data.  For hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,161
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,497 posts
14 minutes ago, Benjammn79 said:

I hear what you're saying.  Just did a speed test and it was 192mbps with ping of 21.  But if the WC progress indicator is to be believed, mine isn't downloading data.  It's installing data.  For hours.

This is strange because I have a ten-year-old system with 8 GB of 1333 speed RAM, an AM3 motherboard, a Phenom II processor, and a moderate-speed internet plan, and it took my system less than ten minutes to download and install the update this morning. Do you have the WOWS update settings set to use the most resources available? If you don't then the WOWS update program may be waiting for your system to be idle before it updates.

Edited by Snargfargle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×