You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SilverBkGaming

WG Thanks for adding more diversity to the commanders

29 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
4,644 posts
22,118 battles

I agree it's a nice thing to bring in new captains but I disagree with bringing in Leroy when there's only hundreds of others that actually did something greater for the navy.

• Cool 3

[SALVO]
Members
4,644 posts
22,118 battles
2 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Doris Miller would have been a good choice.  

Would have been a fantastic choice. 

Or what about Robert Sweeney 2 time medal of honor recipient.

Edited by SilverPhatShips
  • Meh 1

[SALVO]
Members
4,644 posts
22,118 battles

Sad thing is they turn this into a PR stunt by latching on to the popularity of another Leroy Jenkins.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLFG]
Members
34,350 posts
10,591 battles

Does nobody else see the humour here, or is everybody fixated on being offended?

IMO, WG didn't put the avatar in because he was a black sailor, they put him in because he's an actual sailor with an infamous (in gaming circles anyway) name.

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 6

[_BOH_]
Members
7 posts

Well, I didn't make this post to start a whole conversation about racism...I'm just happy that WG added a person of color and I would like to see more.

• Cool 5
  • Meh 1

[SRM]
Members
382 posts
20,369 battles

Great examples of deserving Commanders 

Henry Turpin, one of the survivors of the explosion aboard the battleship Maine

Fleet Master Chief: Master Chief April D. Beldo

Master Diver: Master Chief Boatswain's Mate Carl M. Brashear

Naval Aviator: Ensign Jesse Brown

Naval Flag Officer: Vice Admiral Samuel L. Gravely Jr.

Naval Forces Africa: Admiral Michelle J. Howard

Navy Cross Recipient: Cook Third Class Doris Miller

First African American Female Officers: Frances Eliza Wills and Harriet Ida Pickens

First African American to command a nuclear-powered submarine: Captain Chancellor Alphonso "Pete" Tzomes

All names to consider in the future 

Edited by jr_token
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[WOLFG]
Members
34,350 posts
10,591 battles
4 minutes ago, Vice_Admiral_S_Gravely said:

Well, I didn't make this post to start a whole conversation about racism...I'm just happy that WG added a person of color and I would like to see more.

Not to belabor the point, but I think that's why we get into the racism thing.

I mean, you're happy that WG added a person of color, but for all we know, WG is like, "we added a person of color? Well what do you know, the RL sailor that has an infamous gaming name is non-white."

I mean, to me it looks like WG just basically made another Captain Obvious or Jingles type character, and people want to politicize it and inject deeper meaning than is actually there.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 2

[RLGN]
Members
16,603 posts
29,025 battles
7 hours ago, Skpstr said:

I mean, you're happy that WG added a person of color, but for all we know, WG is like, "we added a person of color? Well what do you know, the RL sailor that has an infamous gaming name is non-white."

I mean, to me it looks like WG just basically made another Captain Obvious or Jingles type character, and people want to politicize it and inject deeper meaning than is actually there.

I would add there might be (estate legacy?) and use of name issues, (some folks get upset at having their name and/or image used without permission/compensation,) that Jenkins might not have had a problem with.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
6,570 posts
7,187 battles
50 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Dunno, considering Leroy Jenkins has taken part in other WG content, volunteers as a tour guide and served on a ship that is currently a premium in WoWs which fits the time frame makes him a pretty good choice for inclusion. He also looks like a pretty interesting fella and I hope his addition to the game is followed by more videos of him. Here he is giving an interview on his first days, when he served during the 50s.

The Leeroy meme part will inevitably be used in one way or another, but bottom line is that something that was asked for some time is finally being included. Personally I hope Samuel Gravely is added at some point, and who knows, we may also get more representation of women aside from Dashas and fantasy commanders.

Edited by warheart1992

Members
2,198 posts
29,388 battles
1 minute ago, El2aZeR said:

Aren't Asians people of color, too? :cap_hmm:

I mean, I'm glad that Mr. Jenkins gets to be in the game same as anyone else, but the thread title is a bit... yeah.

;)

[D-H-O]
-Members-
4,756 posts
16,257 battles
2 hours ago, Vice_Admiral_S_Gravely said:

You did a great thing by having a special commander - Leroy Jenkings.

However what about VICE ADMIRAL - Samuel Gravely?

https://www.history.navy.mil/browse-by-topic/people/trailblazers/samuel-gravely.html

One of the biggest challenges we have specifically for adding historical commanders, that most do not know about, is legally getting permission can be difficult if someone has passed away and we have to try to contact an estate or representative for that person.

It's not as easy as just grabbing images and making it happen. In this respect, the example of Leroy Jenkins, we actually reached out directly to him. This process still, however, takes a long time and has been a project that has been ongoing for almost a year.

Trust me as a retired CPO and someone that use to teach naval history and knows a lot of US Naval history, there are A LOT of commanders I would like to see in the game, but after working for WG for over a year, I have seen how much time and effort has to be put in, in order to make it happen. And at the end of the day, we could reach out to an estate or representative and just never get a response, in which case, it can be a hard stop for us at that point.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 2

[D-H-O]
-Members-
4,756 posts
16,257 battles
2 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Does nobody else see the humour here, or is everybody fixated on being offended?

IMO, WG didn't put the avatar in because he was a black sailor, they put him in because he's an actual sailor with an infamous (in gaming circles anyway) name.

Our addition of Mr. Jenkins into World of Warships had nothing to do with that character, but with Mr. Jenkins specifically, because he is a veteran, we have worked with him in the past and we wanted to honor him specifically.

-Hapa

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 2

[WOLF7]
Members
1,016 posts
28 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Our addition of Mr. Jenkins into World of Warships had nothing to do with that character, but with Mr. Jenkins specifically, because he is a veteran, we have worked with him in the past and we wanted to honor him specifically.

-Hapa

Do you have any idea if the in-game unique commander Theodore Chandler will ever get any specialized skills like the Doe brothers have, for example? Rear Admiral Chandler was a real USN officer who died in battle, serving his country. Why doesn't he have unique skills in the same way as Cunningham, Kuznetsov, and Lutjens?  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_E._Chandler

• Cool 1

[D-H-O]
-Members-
4,756 posts
16,257 battles
6 minutes ago, HamAndCheez said:

Do you have any idea if the in-game unique commander Theodore Chandler will ever get any specialized skills like the Doe brothers have, for example? Rear Admiral Chandler was a real USN officer who died in battle, serving his country. Why doesn't he have unique skills in the same way as Cunningham, Kuznetsov, and Lutjens?  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_E._Chandler

So in World of Warships, we have historical commanders, we have special commanders and then we have legendary commanders. Doing this allows us to represent more commanders without flooding the population with a lot of commanders that have those perks.

For us the "Historical" commanders are a good way to honor someone's service (Like Mr. Leroy Jenkins) without adding a lot of development work to ensure a commander is balanced.

So case in point, Mr. Jenkins as I said above still took almost a year to get everything together to put them into the game, where as Lutjens was probably in the development cycle for well over a year.

Is there a chance for additions in the future? Sure, do I know if it WILL happen or not? No. Sorry for the long round about answer.

-Hapa

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
9,000 posts
6,709 battles
2 hours ago, Vice_Admiral_S_Gravely said:

I'm just happy that WG added a person of color and I would like to see more.

Imo, dude's skin color is secondary to him being called Leroy... Jenkins. 

[CS7]
Members
327 posts
5,784 battles
1 hour ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

-Hapa

I think it is great, Hapa!  I plan on putting him in my wardroom soon.  Did the devs record his voice like Jingles and Ovechkin?

[D-H-O]
-Members-
4,756 posts
16,257 battles
Just now, Maddau said:

I think it is great, Hapa!  I plan on putting him in my wardroom soon.  Did the devs record his voice like Jingles and Ovechkin?

No unfortunately because Mr. Jenkins is getting up there in the levels, we couldn't coordinate all that.

-Hapa

• Thanks 2

[WG]
[WG]
Administrator, Community Department, WG Staff
173 posts
1,034 battles

Hey Captains! I'm thrilled to see that you can appreciate this new addition. We are planning to publish an article with the reasoning and history Mr. Jenkins has with the USS Kidd in addition to mission briefings and how you will be able to earn him. Please Standby  :) 

• Thanks 1

[WOLFG]
Members
34,350 posts
10,591 battles
3 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

-Hapa

Wow, that is one crazy coincidence then lol.

I didn't realise you had prior dealings with him.

[WOLFG]
Members
34,350 posts
10,591 battles
3 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Imo, dude's skin color is secondary to him being called Leroy... Jenkins. 

Also appears to be secondary to the fact that WG has worked with him before.

It's as I thought though, skin color wasn't a consideration.

[D-H-O]
-Members-
4,756 posts
16,257 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

Wow, that is one crazy coincidence then lol.

I didn't realise you had prior dealings with him.

We have had several interviews with him and he was part of a video series we did on the USS Kidd in the past.

[WPORT]
Members
10,985 posts
15,481 battles

I'm looking forward to welcoming Commander Leroy Jenkins to my Port.

• Cool 1