You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Flat-top Fire-starter - HMS Indomitable.

25 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
25,140 posts
19,146 battles

A while ago, Wargaming decided it would be an interesting idea to give us a premium CV that had no torpedo armament; just rockets and bombs. While they were at it, they gave it what's probably the smallest and slowest-regenerating deck park in the game. It makes Saipan's look like an embarrassment of riches!

https://youtu.be/NpicN4V2tro

The planes compensate somewhat by being both fast and tough - but put too much faith in that and you can easily find yourself with not enough planes to do anything meaningful.

Anyone contemplating putting money down for this ship needs to be absolutely sure they know what they're letting themselves in for. Definitely not for the inexperienced.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 4

[CLUMP]
Members
2,051 posts
2,424 battles

Are you a masochist @Ensign_Cthulhu :Smile_popcorn: Because playing that CV tells me you might be a tiny bit :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by LastRemnant

[ARGSY]
Members
25,140 posts
19,146 battles
2 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

Are you a masochist @Ensign_Cthulhu :Smile_popcorn: Because playing that CV tells me you might be a tiny bit :Smile_teethhappy:

Someone was offering one as a stream prize last year, and when I failed to win, my wife said "It's Anzac Day; you're Australian; treat yourself. Buy it." And she literally kept on nagging me until I did! :Smile_teethhappy:

Just now, Singularity_invader said:

Not just "inexperienced" in general, but also "inexperienced" with the RN CV line.

True. Those bombs are a PITA to drop. The answer, as @Ahskance demonstrated a short while ago, is to attack from behind whenever you can. Here he discusses why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooGBGSzs0hA

• Cool 1

[KSC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,586 posts
14,031 battles
29 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Someone was offering one as a stream prize last year, and when I failed to win, my wife said "It's Anzac Day; you're Australian; treat yourself. Buy it." And she literally kept on nagging me until I did! :Smile_teethhappy:

True. Those bombs are a PITA to drop. The answer, as @Ahskance demonstrated a short while ago, is to attack from behind whenever you can. Here he discusses why: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooGBGSzs0hA

To be fair, Indom has more a cluster bomb drop.  It's less restrained by the sequential drop of the normal carpet bombers, so you can bomb from nearly any angle.  Bow/Aft on is best, though.

[ARGSY]
Members
25,140 posts
19,146 battles
2 minutes ago, Ahskance said:

To be fair, Indom has more a cluster bomb drop.  It's less restrained by the sequential drop of the normal carpet bombers, so you can bomb from nearly any angle.  Bow/Aft on is best, though.

Thanks for the input. I did notice bow-on strikes being sort of OK, but aft was far, FAR better.

[O7]
Supertester
442 posts
13,803 battles

Indomitable is 90% DBs, 10% wondering why you aren't using the DBs. Mastery of them is critical to success. As you noticed in your vid, you missed out on a lot of damage due to inexperience with their drop times.

Deck armor knowledge is essential for getting the most out of Indom's DBs. Your bombs pen 32mm armor, so ideally you want to focus BBs without heavy deck armor like French and RN BBs. Even if fire RNG hates you (like for the first 12 minutes), you can do considerable alpha damage to those ships. 

If you do have to bomb broadside targets, aim for the bridge. 

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,494 posts
7,115 battles

Also keep dropping off planes, you want single strikes all day long.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
25,140 posts
19,146 battles
3 minutes ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

ideally you want to focus BBs without heavy deck armor

Duly noted. However, there is the golden ideal and then there is the fight that fate serves you. Striking the BB that's easiest to damage and striking the BB which most needs killing are not always the same thing, alas. :Smile_sad:

5 minutes ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

Thank you. I will bear that in mind in future.

10 minutes ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

inexperience with their drop times.

We both know the way to fix that problem, don't we? :Smile_izmena:

[BONKS]
Members
3,081 posts
52 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

While they were at it, they gave it what's probably the smallest and slowest-regenerating deck park in the game. It makes Saipan's look like an embarrassment of riches!

Small note, Indomitable planes regenerate quite a bit faster than Saipan ones (base regen 115s vs 123s for the rockets, 117s vs a whopping 150s for the DBs).

• Thanks 1

[B_Y_F]
Members
711 posts
16,301 battles

Can't understand why you never slingshot the bomber, WG particularly exclude it from bomber attack delay universal neff to prevent that gimmick for her. 

[ARGSY]
Members
25,140 posts
19,146 battles
Just now, sapient007 said:

Can't understand why you never slingshot the bomber,

I tried it in other battles, with unsatisfying results. It's one of the things I need practice at.

44 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Small note, Indomitable planes regenerate quite a bit faster than Saipan ones (base regen 115s vs 123s for the rockets, 117s vs a whopping 150s for the DBs).

Shows you I don't drive my Saipan enough either! :Smile_veryhappy:

Indomitable certainly FEELS slower to me, but that could be because Saipan has two other airplane types to take out while the first one returns/regenerates, so there's more to keep you busy while you wait. 

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,852 posts
12,996 battles
1 hour ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

Indomitable is 90% DBs, 10% wondering why you aren't using the DBs. Mastery of them is critical to success. As you noticed in your vid, you missed out on a lot of damage due to inexperience with their drop times.

Deck armor knowledge is essential for getting the most out of Indom's DBs. Your bombs pen 32mm armor, so ideally you want to focus BBs without heavy deck armor like French and RN BBs. Even if fire RNG hates you (like for the first 12 minutes), you can do considerable alpha damage to those ships. 

Right Carpet bombers are the UK bread and butter.. I cringe when I keep seeing people use torpedo planes(IMO situational).   Sorry, this account is for CVs, I have another account I created so I can learn the CVs for better understanding.  Spotting destroyers and striking with rockets can coming back and finishing them off with carpet bombers is always so fun.

I never dropped the money for this CV...I was just about having enough with the line itself.  

[B_Y_F]
Members
711 posts
16,301 battles
18 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I tried it in other battles, with unsatisfying results. It's one of the things I need practice at.

Small tips for her slingshot: If you have last grasp (1 point skill), drop first attack at around 8km to your target (stationary) and full speed ahead, you'll be right on top of the target when the second round available. 

I enjoy Indomitable a lot myself, so hope you will enjoy and have more success with her. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
25,140 posts
19,146 battles
1 minute ago, sapient007 said:

If you have last grasp (1 point skill)

I'll have to check. I don't think I have it yet, but Cunningham's still only in the low teens of points so there's probably room for it in the build later. I might go have a few co-op games where I concentrate on making the slingshot and having the bomb pattern at least overlap the target, whether or not it's effective. I can work on making the drop accurate once I've got the slingshot trigger point distance right in my head.

[SGSS]
Members
6,269 posts
3 hours ago, sapient007 said:

Small tips for her slingshot: If you have last grasp (1 point skill), drop first attack at around 8km to your target (stationary) and full speed ahead, you'll be right on top of the target when the second round available. 

I enjoy Indomitable a lot myself, so hope you will enjoy and have more success with her. 

I had not thought of that.  It will help.

I like the Indom as far as the planes.  They look amazing and fast.

But i dont know if I have ever won in it :cap_hmm:

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors, WoWS Community Contributors
2,728 posts
13,875 battles

Indom is one of the only Tier VIII carriers I just don't enjoy playing.  She's capable, but she's so damn difficult to make work that it's just not enjoyable.  Plus when she's up-tiered it's a fairly miserable experience.  Kudos for investing the time to make her work, I actively avoid the ship these days.  Even Saipan looks more appealing.

• Funny 1

[SGSS]
Members
6,269 posts
2 hours ago, SeaRaptor said:

Indom is one of the only Tier VIII carriers I just don't enjoy playing.  She's capable, but she's so damn difficult to make work that it's just not enjoyable.  Plus when she's up-tiered it's a fairly miserable experience.  Kudos for investing the time to make her work, I actively avoid the ship these days.  Even Saipan looks more appealing.

I what ship to request next time :cap_haloween:

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,186 posts
8,156 battles
6 hours ago, sapient007 said:

Can't understand why you never slingshot the bomber, WG particularly exclude it from bomber attack delay universal neff to prevent that gimmick for her. 

It's really the only weapon it has.. And it's an effective one.  Using it well, once you get the timing down.. It can be a  damage farming machine.  It can literally just about drop on any ship in the game without losses.  It laughs at AA and enemy fighters.  Not even CV CAP & AA can stop it or cause losses if done skillfully.      It's just so incredibly  boring to play and takes so long between attacks & it has so little game impact,  even if you play it well?   I despise it.. I pick it up every now again.. play it a few games to get the timing back.. realize I don't want to invest the time in it.. and put it back into mothballs again. This one and GZ -   Two CVs I rarely touch anymore..  

[USRUS]
[USRUS]
Members
1,778 posts
22,310 battles

we found the masochists. Did you play it with a steering wheel or fishing controller too?

[-K-]
WoWS Community Contributors, WoWS Community Contributors
2,728 posts
13,875 battles
6 hours ago, jags_domain said:

I what ship to request next time :cap_haloween:

Someone requested it just a few weeks ago.  It was an ugly game that ended for me when I got gunned down by an enemy Halland.  I did kill him on the next rocket salvo, but it mattered little by then.

Members
690 posts
20 battles

I really like Indomitable, it's my second favourite tier 8 CV (my favourite being Saipan). 

When I want to play world of warships, but I absolutely want to put as little thought into it as possible, Indomitable is the perfect ship.

It only has two squadrons, and one of those you almost never want to use. It is still able to slingshot, which is satisfying and effective, and the extremely repetitive game play loop and very fast planes are a pleasantly mindless combo. It encourages repeated attacks on the same target, which makes it even more simple to play. 

I don't like to play it for extended periods, as it obviously gets a bit boring, but for a certain type of game play for a while, I really enjoy it. This is one of the few premiums I have paid actual money for back when it was released, and I don't regret it for a second. 

[SIM]
Members
5,896 posts
9,386 battles

Honestly, Indomitable is the only CV other than Kaga that I don't hate playing. Conserve your planes and burn the world.

[SGSS]
Members
6,269 posts
11 hours ago, SeaRaptor said:

Someone requested it just a few weeks ago.  It was an ugly game that ended for me when I got gunned down by an enemy Halland.  I did kill him on the next rocket salvo, but it mattered little by then.

Nice!  Its tough to play.  I h

Watched a streamer that seed like he mained in Indom.

To each his own.  

17k steel from "ultimate OP power of FDR"  :cap_rambo:

Yeaaa. Its probably something i will struggle with allot because its so slow but have to have it.

Have any steal your not using...:cap_hmm: