You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Col_Nasty

Can we get Objective reviews of Dockyard ships BEFORE the event?

19 comments in this topic

[GOB]
Members
2,919 posts

If I remember correctly we get reviews of these ships well after the events start.  

Why is that?

All I see are WIP vids on the ZF-6 and no real world release reviews like we see by the Mouse etc.  I found a single video but it's in German.

Wouldn't it make sense that IF these Dockyard ships were really so worth the time and or $$ to get,  that the marketing people would like us all to know how GREAT the ship is that we are trying to get?

Absent all the usual .. " it's a premium" and "you can get it free too"  comments,  why do you think there is never any real world (in game by people we all know to do honest)  reviews on them BEFORE we are asked to buy LIMITED TIME,  RUSH to buy or else " Starter packs"  etc. 

Feels like all the artificial urgency is to get me to do things before I know what it is I'm getting in the end.

Anyone here ever buy a car without even test driving it or knowing anyone who has,  sight unseen?

Is getting a review of the ship before the event really a problem?

I would LOVE to be able to trust WGs descriptions of their products but that was one of the first things I learned NOT to do here years ago.. right after don't try randoms after my first 25 coops.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,233 posts
4,348 battles

Ships are WIP almost up to release, which means they be changed, sometimes significantly. WG had a problem with CCs releasing reviews of ships before final changes were made, which often were inaccurate at release and often biased perception of a ship since the initial video was the one everyone watched. It was a legitimate problem, which WG solved by extending the NDA until the ship is finalized, which unfortunately is usually just a few days before release. For example I think the CC NDA lifted today for the ships releasing Wednesday.

So today and tomorrow you'll start seeing reviews. And you know, no need to buy right on patch day, you can wait a bit for everyone to get around to reviewing the ship.

In short, ships are WIP and subject to change almost until release, so any reviews before that are often inaccurate.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 3

[GOB]
Members
2,919 posts
6 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Ships are WIP almost up to release, which means they be changed, sometimes significantly. WG had a problem with CCs releasing reviews of ships before final changes were made, which often were inaccurate at release and often biased perception of a ship since the initial video was the one everyone watched. It was a legitimate problem, which WG solved by extending the NDA until the ship is finalized, which unfortunately is usually just a few days before release. For example I think the CC NDA lifted today for the ships releasing Wednesday.

So today and tomorrow you'll start seeing reviews. And you know, no need to buy right on patch day, you can wait a bit for everyone to get around to reviewing the ship.

In short, ships are WIP and subject to change almost until release, so any reviews before that are often inaccurate.

Thnx. I knew about the CC issues etc.  I'm happy they fixed that. I bought a ship once (AGIR) based on early info and it got nerfed HARD at release but I found out right after spending the 1M FXP for it and WG refunded it back to me.

But..  The Starter packs you are asked to buy have to be done RIGHT AWAY.. I mean REALLY FAST.  So unless you just stop playing the game until you get the reviews you will be past the point of being able to buy the starter packs if interested.  I guess that's my real issue.  

That artificial rush to get you to buy BEFORE you get information seems very shady.

Edited by Col_Nasty
  • Cool 2

[A-I-M]
Members
4,084 posts
15,213 battles
50 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Anyone here ever buy a car without even test driving it or knowing anyone who has,  sight unseen?

Yes:

When the Ferrari F40 was announced back in the ‘80s, people lined up to plop down the $400,000 to get on a waiting list that promised at least a year’s wait on their prancing horse, with no test drive. They even put Mario Andretti on the waiting list...and he drove for Ferrari in the ‘70s.

When the Ford GT came out in 2016. (the racing version), people lined up to plunk down their $440,000 to get on a waiting list, with no car to test drive.

That being said, these were cars of incredible pedigree, performance, and reputation.

And I know where you’re about to go right now, and let me just say you’re right:

Doubtlessly, WG is not in such rarified air as the above manufacturers and their offerings, which is very much in line with your point. WG’s track record is uneven enough to invite skepticism regarding cash outlay in advance.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea
Clarification needed
  • Cool 1

Members
1,614 posts
10,688 battles
1 hour ago, Col_Nasty said:

Thnx. I knew about the CC issues etc.  I'm happy they fixed that. I bought a ship once (AGIR) based on early info and it got nerfed HARD at release but I found out right after spending the 1M FXP for it and WG refunded it back to me.

But..  The Starter packs you are asked to buy have to be done RIGHT AWAY.. I mean REALLY FAST.  So unless you just stop playing the game until you get the reviews you will be past the point of being able to buy the starter packs if interested.  I guess that's my real issue.  

That artificial rush to get you to buy BEFORE you get information seems very shady.

It wasn't an issue.

WG made it an issue by constantly forcing terribly balanced or totally unbalanced ships into the game. Now wargaming can just "surprise" everyone with terrible ideas and breaking gameplay balance more and more without getting called on it.

• Meh 1

[BUOY]
Members
1,422 posts
17,207 battles
1 hour ago, Col_Nasty said:

The starter packs don't vanish that fast. They only go away after you complete the first week of dockyard levels and one more and I haven't seen a Dockyard yet, even the PR disaster, where there wasn't some / most reviews of the ship before time started to crunch.

And with the non PR disaster Dockyards you can easily avoid losing the starter packs by just not finishing that second week Dockyard level since WG learned their lesson on how much players loathed front loaded time gating.

• Cool 2

[D-DAY]
Members
7,126 posts
3 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

Every ship will get nerfed at some point even if it is via power creep elsewhere. Anything you buy can only be held to the way it is on that day - the next day a Global change can be announced and it doesn't matter squat what currency you purchased the ship with, the ship will change.

The dockyards had a good first ship and, in general, people paid big bucks for it. Then WG changed the format and the ships have been.....ok (but nothing to write home about). I did enjoy the Odin somewhat....before the secondary nerf of course! :Smile_teethhappy:

Now I just look at the ship on offer, I look at all the other ships I already have to play with, I look at the lack of new maps and new scenarios (or should I say lack of), I look at the money WG want me to pay for something that they won't even be upfront in telling me what it will be about (reviews), and I look at practically every ship I have that has been changed for the worst because WG constantly churn out new ships. I remember however good any ship is, it will get nerfed at some point. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_
  • Cool 3

Members
2,070 posts
12,817 battles
4 hours ago, Vekta408 said:

It wasn't an issue.

WG made it an issue by constantly forcing terribly balanced or totally unbalanced ships into the game. Now wargaming can just "surprise" everyone with terrible ideas and breaking gameplay balance more and more without getting called on it.

Except that they tell us exactly what they're doing in the dev blog.

[KWF]
Members
6,559 posts
7,157 battles
4 hours ago, Vekta408 said:

It wasn't an issue.

The problem with WG NDAs etc, to which some extent I understand, is that it was easy for people to get lost with CC content on WiP ships. Take for example Agir; Flamu had a video showing the incredibly accurate secondaries of an iteration. It was very easy for someone interested to consider that video as an accurate representation of what he would get. You can imagine the disillusionment and potential rage towards WG, when in that case it wasn't their fault.

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,863 posts

Nope.

Buy all 22 stages for the steel, doubleloons, research points and tiresl

Go through the enire experience. Take your new ship into battle soon enough.z

[ARGSY]
Members
25,092 posts
19,133 battles

Here are the two reasons why I never buy starter packs in Dockyard events.

1) What if the ship sucks? What if there's some ginormous flaw in her that's not uncovered by early play in the first couple of weeks and she turns out to be such a complete bundle of 'meh' that you wonder why you ever threw dubs at her?

2) What if real life intervenes and I can't finish the event? All my starter-pack dubs have then gone down the drain, and I have to make a call to either buy the ship out for whatever it costs or cut my losses. No, thank you.

In my humble opinion, it's worth spending that little bit extra to insure against BOTH those things by grinding through the event, keeping an eye on the gameplay, and only at the end deciding whether it's worth paying those last few stages out.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[PVE]
Members
132 posts
4,474 battles
8 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

If I remember correctly we get reviews of these ships well after the events start.  

Why is that?

All I see are WIP vids on the ZF-6 and no real world release reviews like we see by the Mouse etc.  I found a single video but it's in German.

Wouldn't it make sense that IF these Dockyard ships were really so worth the time and or $$ to get,  that the marketing people would like us all to know how GREAT the ship is that we are trying to get?

Absent all the usual .. " it's a premium" and "you can get it free too"  comments,  why do you think there is never any real world (in game by people we all know to do honest)  reviews on them BEFORE we are asked to buy LIMITED TIME,  RUSH to buy or else " Starter packs"  etc. 

Feels like all the artificial urgency is to get me to do things before I know what it is I'm getting in the end.

I would LOVE to be able to trust WGs descriptions of their products but that was one of the first things I learned NOT to do here years ago.. right after don't try randoms after my first 25 coops.

Carbine Carlito on youtube did a review this morning on the ZF-6

[WOLFA]
Members
414 posts
23,537 battles
8 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

Why is that?

Yesterday Carbine Carlito played with the Immelman, ZF 6 and vampire in his twich. Vampire is a beast. Immelman is decent.

ZF-6 its like Z-35, need to be charge, other than that its a decent ship too. Sorry for my english. o7

Members
1,614 posts
10,688 battles
8 hours ago, Rouxi said:

Except that they tell us exactly what they're doing in the dev blog.

Except when they don't do exactly what they say their doing in the dev blog because no one read the fine print they posted under it 2 nights before. #Surprise

Edited by Vekta408

Members
1,614 posts
10,688 battles
8 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

The problem with WG NDAs etc, to which some extent I understand, is that it was easy for people to get lost with CC content on WiP ships. Take for example Agir; Flamu had a video showing the incredibly accurate secondaries of an iteration. It was very easy for someone interested to consider that video as an accurate representation of what he would get. You can imagine the disillusionment and potential rage towards WG, when in that case it wasn't their fault.

WG could avoid that by not putting in stuff for testing they have no intention of actually putting in the game. I lost count of the number of times they've done this with ships that were clearly over-tuned even on paper. Then people roll their eyes when someone posts a video ripping wargaming and asking "What was wargaming thinking?"

Edited by Vekta408

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
2,035 posts
14,228 battles
14 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

Why is that?

Little White Mouse is doing the best she can, geez.

[X-PN]
Members
1,993 posts
13,243 battles
14 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

Not sure any of the dockyard ships have been "worth it" based solely on the merits of the ship.  For many of us it is the more scare resources along with the other goodies like dragon flags, prem time, and coal.

That said... I'd like to know how much steel is on offer for this go around.

[SALVO]
Members
26,560 posts
31,201 battles
On 4/13/2021 at 2:40 PM, YouSatInGum said:

Not sure any of the dockyard ships have been "worth it" based solely on the merits of the ship.  For many of us it is the more scare resources along with the other goodies like dragon flags, prem time, and coal.

That said... I'd like to know how much steel is on offer for this go around.

Satin, I think that purely based on the merits of the ships, the PRico is a pretty decent ship.  I also like the Hizen, in large part because I like BBs with 4x3 turret layouts over 3x3 layouts.  While I don't debate the value of the Yammy and Mushy's main gun power and accuracy, I don't like the super slow turning turrets or the play style those turrets engender.  I prefer the Montana-ish play style of the Hizen more.

I'm not a fan of the Anchorage.

I have no opinion on the Odin as I missed that dockyard event.

As for the ZF-6, it looks quite interesting, though I'm not sure if I'll invest in the starter packs.

[WOLF7]
Members
995 posts
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

Satin, I think that purely based on the merits of the ships, the PRico is a pretty decent ship.  I also like the Hizen, in large part because I like BBs with 4x3 turret layouts over 3x3 layouts.  While I don't debate the value of the Yammy and Mushy's main gun power and accuracy, I don't like the super slow turning turrets or the play style those turrets engender.  I prefer the Montana-ish play style of the Hizen more.

I'm not a fan of the Anchorage.

I have no opinion on the Odin as I missed that dockyard event.

As for the ZF-6, it looks quite interesting, though I'm not sure if I'll invest in the starter packs.

From personal experience, Anchorage and Odin are excellent for co-op matches.